Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

FEDZO wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with Umidigi? The umidigi S2 pro that is coming out looks great. Thoughts? I am fed up waiting for the redmi note 5 to be released. I am looking for a bezel less phone with a 300 euro budget. Any other suggestions?

I would be inclined to hold off until it is released, and see what a few users think of it first (I mean real users not reviewers with links to the likes of GB on their websites!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭elvisn

It seems the Redmi Note 5 won't have Band 20.

So if that's an issue for anyone, there's no point waiting around for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

elvisn wrote: »

There are only a handful of the Xiaomi range that include Band20 so its not overly surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

elvisn wrote: »

They'll probably do their usual nonsense of a MediaTek version and then an Snapdragon version for India, unless they finally get those legal issues sored out.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭elvisn

fixxxer wrote: »
    They'll probably do their usual nonsense of a MediaTek version and then an Snapdragon version for India, unless they finally get those legal issues sored out.

From the research I've done today, it seems to be shipping with a Snapdragon 636

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Are there any recommendations in Duboin city centre for screen fitment to Xiaomi Mi5? I'm based in Dundrum during the day, but I think I might get a better deal up around Moore St?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I just pulled the trigger on the Xiaomi Note 4 4GB/64GB (Grey) from the Solution Shop. It comes with a screen protector and a case, along with a 2yr warranty.

It worked out at a €191 inc delivery.

I paid a bit more than most on here, but with the 2yr warranty (for want it's worth) cases and protector it was small enough premium that I felt happy enough to pay.

I know not many on here have used them, so the least I can do is provide an update on the delivery and any benefits/issues as they arise.

Thanks to everyone on here who helped me and answer my plentiful questions! I'm now the office expert on mobiles :D
    Update: Their online support has told me that they supply cases for all handsets except for the Mi A1 and Redmi Note 4. A bit of an annoyance.

Just got my DHL delivery number. Should be delivered by end of tomorrow. I'll not get my hands on it until weekend as I'm away with work, but will confirm the status of the case (assuming there is none) when I open it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

FEDZO wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with Umidigi? The umidigi S2 pro that is coming out looks great. Thoughts? I am fed up waiting for the redmi note 5 to be released. I am looking for a bezel less phone with a 300 euro budget. Any other suggestions?

Had 2 Umi's very weak screens tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

eamonnq wrote: »

I have already bought one for €81. Honestly i anyone can find a better overall phone for the money i would be really interested to hear. One problem is it is Rose Gold. I bought one for the other half but really thinking of buying another and use a case.

Other option would be a black ZTE Blade A512 from UK for £59, but i dont think the ZTE is in same league as the leeco

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Am I right in thinking the customs charges are:
    5% of the sale value = Customs charge
    +
    23% of the Sale+Customs Charge

Have I got that right??

eg.
    €200 sale
    5% = €10 for Customs
    23% of €210 = €48.30

Total owed: €58.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

+

Have I got that right??

eg.
    €200 sale
    5% = €10 for Customs
    23% of €210 = €48.30

I think vat is added first. The may also be handling fee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

jodaw wrote: »
    I have already bought one for €81. Honestly i anyone can find a better overall phone for the money i would be really interested to hear. One problem is it is Rose Gold. I bought one for the other half but really thinking of buying another and use a case.

Other option would be a black ZTE Blade A512 from UK for £59, but i dont think the ZTE is in same league as the leeco
    It has a gold option too??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

+

Have I got that right??

eg.
    €200 sale
    5% = €10 for Customs
    23% of €210 = €48.30

Yep, that is pretty much it, except whoever delivers it has a handling charge.
    DHL handling charge of €15 or An Post handling charge of €10.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/calculating-what-you-owe-on-goods-when-you-buy-online.aspx#

Suckit wrote: »
    Yep, that is pretty much it, except whoever delivers it has a handling charge.
    DHL handling charge of €15 or An Post handling charge of €10.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/calculating-what-you-owe-on-goods-when-you-buy-online.aspx#

Yeah, DHL. Extra €15 for them so. 3 times the amount I paid for them to ship it. :rolleyes:

Yay, about €75 bill. Customs wanted a receipt from Gearbest and a bank statement showing the transaction. Clever customs. I only noticed Gearbest supplied me with an invoice for €99 + the shipping costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yeah, DHL. Extra €15 for them so. 3 times the amount I paid for them to ship it. :rolleyes:

Yay, about €75 bill. Customs wanted a receipt from Gearbest and a bank statement showing the transaction. Clever customs. I only noticed Gearbest supplied me with an invoice for €99 + the shipping costs.

There is a way allegedly to ask DHL not to pay your fees, but i never found out how to do it.
    The seller can also nominate to pay the charges on the DHL form, I only remember one store ever doing it though, Allbuy. they closed down a few years ago.

jodaw wrote: »

I think you just have to bear in mind, that there will likely not be any updates to software etc. (either official or unofficial for the LeEco phones), but for a phone to buy and use they definitely look great value.

+

Have I got that right??

eg.
    €200 sale
    5% = €10 for Customs
    23% of €210 = €48.30

From the OP:
    The formula is (phone price in € times 1.23) and then +€6 through An Post or +€15 through a courier

Strictly speaking it should be (PHONE PRICE + CARRIAGE) x 1.23 and then add your 'handling fee' for An Post or Courier.

eamonnq wrote: »
    From the OP:
    The formula is (phone price in € times 1.23) and then +€6 through An Post or +€15 through a courier

Strictly speaking it should be (PHONE PRICE + CARRIAGE) x 1.23 and then add your 'handling fee' for An Post or Courier.

Revenue says Customs charges too (and those are subject to VAT also). I'll report back when the slap me with the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Black_Knight what you're talking about is Duty, which should be zero or negligible on that tariff code, so its just the %23 VAT due.

The €6 fee is now €10 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

ED E wrote:
    Black_Knight what you're talking about is Duty, which should be zero or negligible on that tariff code, so its just the %23 VAT due.

Duty @ 5% of total cost on anything over €150

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Anyone know how to reset MiRoaming? - It's all in Chinese so don't understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Geekbuying were excellent. I ordered over the weekend & the phone only took 24 hours from Italy. I paid €176 for the Note 4 64gb Global. It's a superb phone.

Thanks to everyone here for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

corkie wrote: »

5.9 is too big for one handed use plus how can you fit a case to these screen to the edge devices ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Raoul

Ordered from the Solution Shop on Monday for the Note 4 64Gb Global. Arrived today. Haven't had a chance to open it yet.

I hate MIUI, what's the best ROM to put on? An XDA link would be fantastic. Thanks

Just got my DHL delivery number. Should be delivered by end of tomorrow. I'll not get my hands on it until weekend as I'm away with work, but will confirm the status of the case (assuming there is none) when I open it up.

It has arrived 2 hours ago. So that was ordered Sat evening. Delivered out on Monday evening. Arrival today.

Raoul wrote: »
    I hate MIUI, what's the best ROM to put on? An XDA link would be fantastic. Thanks

How does that work with your 2 year warranty? You might be best hiding most of the MIUI stuff to minimise its effect. No point buying it especially for the 2yr warranty and then voiding it by installing a custom ROM.

Is it MIUI8 or MIUI9?

How does that work with your 2 year warranty? You might be best hiding most of the MIUI stuff to minimise its effect. No point buying it especially for the 2yr warranty and then voiding it by installing a custom ROM.

Is it MIUI8 or MIUI9?

I'm not sure which MIUI it is. Also, you can usually just flash the stock ROM again. Does anyone know for definite if it voids your warranty?

https://www.xda-developers.com/xda-external-link/rooting-cannot-legally-void-your-warranty/

Are the T&C of the warranty not included in the delivery?
    Might be best asking for them as I could not see them on their website.

EDIT: Just found it:

https://thesolutionshop.global/warranty-policy/
    10. Phone that have installed non-approved operating systems on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Raoul wrote: »
    I'm not sure which MIUI it is. Also, you can usually just flash the stock ROM again. Does anyone know for definite if it voids your warranty?

https://www.xda-developers.com/xda-external-link/rooting-cannot-legally-void-your-warranty/

If you reflash the original ROM and relock the bootloader, there's no way for them to tell. Lineage OS is probably what you'll want to run. It's well supported with updates every week or so. You could always try putting Nova Launcher on it first and customizing it to your liking, or using the Google launcher.

Edit:

The problem of course is if you have a hardware issue that prevents reflashing, such as a faulty touch screen or USB port.

• Advertisement

fixxxer wrote: »
    If you reflash the original ROM and relock the bootloader, there's no way for them to tell. Lineage OS is probably what you'll want to run. It's well supported with updates every week or so. You could always try putting Nova Launcher on it first and customizing it to your liking, or using the Google launcher.

Edit:

The problem of course is if you have a hardware issue that prevents reflashing, such as a faulty touch screen or USB port.

Yeah, had a look at lineage OS, it does look the most stable but not that customisable. It is meant to be rocket fast too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement