Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

jodaw wrote: »
    I just got another Leeco le s3 to add to the rose gold 4GB 32GB i got last week

Just picked up a Gold 4GB 64GB for €97.63

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/LeTV-LeEco-Le-S3-X626-5-5-Inch-4GB-64GB-Gold-385007.html?source=ShareAsale

I would be amazed if anyone could find a better speced phone out there for the price.

Look at some of the reviews on youtube. Some spanish ones are best. Glowing reviews. I think the camera is better than Redmi Note 4. Maybe MA1?
    I am watching a few of them.
    The LeEco Le Max 2 6GB/64GB X820
    The LeEco Le Pro 3 Elite X722 6GB/64GB
    The LeEco Le Pro3 Elite X722 4GB/32GB
    The LeEco Le Pro 3 X720 6GB/64GB

Have all very good prices on Geekbuying, Joybuy and Banggood at the moment.

And that is before Black Friday. I am hoping they drop some more for that, but even if they do not, they must be the best value smartphone for Quality/Price anywhere at the moment.

I have not really been watching their cool range.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nuff

My mi a1 finally came. 195 including shipping and 22 customs. From geekbuying hk

So far so good. Not a fan of the Google keyboard but so far all else seems alright.

Anyone get a decent case? I need a good case. I'd usually go otterbox

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

I bought from geekbuying so i would expect customs. How did the charge only come to 22? Did revenue request invoice or what way did that work?

jodaw wrote: »
    I bought from geekbuying so i would expect customs. How did the charge only come to 22? Did revenue request invoice or what way did that work?

It went through customs when it came into Dublin with DHl. The invoice geekbuying had sent on the front of the box valued the phone at 30 usd! Plus 10 for shipping. Customs obviously didn't believe it so just said 22. It didn't look like they'd opened it. Had it been full value wudve been more I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

nuff wrote: »
    It went through customs when it came into Dublin with DHl. The invoice geekbuying had sent on the front of the box valued the phone at 30 usd! Plus 10 for shipping. Customs obviously didn't believe it so just said 22. It didn't look like they'd opened it. Had it been full value wudve been more I imagine

Probably VAT + DHL handling (€15) = €22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Suckit wrote: »
    Probably VAT + DHL handling (€15) = €22.

23% of 30 is 6.9, so about €16 would be right.

TBH I wouldn't complain

*edit* DHL, yeah you got charged correctly, 22 or 23

23% of 30 is 6.9, so about €16 would be right.

TBH I wouldn't complain

No. I expected way more

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

It has arrived 2 hours ago. So that was ordered Sat evening. Delivered out on Monday evening. Arrival today.

Edit: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 4GB/64GB bought!

Got handset going. I also got a case for it, although there was no screen protector. Will have to order one.
    The case is okay. Another purchaser said his has mialigned holes, but mine is okay - apart from the headphone jack being slightly offcentre, but will not affect usage.

I was waiting for the Note 5, but gave up and plumped for this instead. Not sure if that was a wise decision, but its done now and this seems more than enough for me.

From using a Sony Z3 Compact, this is a big phone. Probably bigger than I need or really wanted, but I just felt that the other options did not justify the price jump. I'll get used to it no doubt, but I think the next handset will be smaller. It is almost a 2 handed operation to use it due to the screen size.

The handset already had 40% charge when I got it. I'll have to assume that this was due to charging it up for the pre delivery checks.

In terms of the MIUI interface, I have to say I don't really notice much difference between it and pure Android. However, that will probably let you know more about my level of usage rather than any in depth insight into MIUI. It cam with MIUI8, but straight away downloaded and installed MIUI9 very very quickly.

Solution Shop seemed to have been good for me to deal with. I initially went with them as they offered a case, screen protector, paid the taxes and provided a 2 yr warranty. There was no protector. Like all warranties, there are a number of exclusions. It is probably a personal choice as to whether to bother with a warranty on a €180 Chinese handset given what it covers ahead of just buying the cheapest deal that can be obtained and hoping for the best. However, it was nice to buy knowing the customs was sorted and it came within 4 days. Was probably worth paying a few bob extra for that alone IMO.

I'm just starting to get my head around it. I was slightly disappointed with the lack of documentation/instructions (i.e. none) that came with the handset so I don't think that I've totally optimised the setup (pretty sure I've not). However, will read a few sites, collate a few ideas and see where it takes me.

I've no intention to modify it with a custom ROM - I don't feel there is the need to do so for my level of usage. There are a number of free screen skins available in order to alter its appearance. Will look at some of them.

In terms of the camera, it seems fine to me. I'm not really sure what level of quality you should be expecting from a handset like this, but I'm sure it will be more than adequate for me and most other users.

Next will be to try the radio and add some songs and e-books.

Overall, quite happy with the handset. It's size is a bit worrying initially as it appears bulky and therefore more prone to getting broke. Also, quite happy with the Solution Shop. I've not received an invoice for the purchase, but I've requested one for my records. I think this is common with a number of suppliers now, so I expect it to be emailed to me. If not, I'll update this thread with the details.

So... Looking recommendations for the following:
    1. A good screen protector?
    2. Worthwhile customisations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of buying from gearbest, there are a few complaints on their forum about fake power xiaomi power banks so prob best if you avoid buying from them........I shouldnt have to warn you anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I was waiting for the Note 5, but gave up and plumped for this instead. Not sure if that was a wise decision, but its done now and this seems more than enough for me.

Which phone did you get? :confused:

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote: »
    Which phone did you get? :confused:

Redmi Note 4 4GB/64GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Edit: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 4GB/64GB bought!

Got handset going. I also got a case for it, although there was no screen protector. Will have to order one.
    The case is okay. Another purchaser said his has mialigned holes, but mine is okay - apart from the headphone jack being slightly offcentre, but will not affect usage.

From using a Sony Z3 Compact, this is a big phone. Probably bigger than I need or really wanted, but I just felt that the other options did not justify the price jump. I'll get used to it no doubt, but I think the next handset will be smaller. It is almost a 2 handed operation to use it due to the screen size.

The handset already had 40% charge when I got it. I'll have to assume that this was due to charging it up for the pre delivery checks.

In terms of the MIUI interface, I have to say I don't really notice much difference between it and pure Android. However, that will probably let you know more about my level of usage rather than any in depth insight into MIUI. It cam with MIUI8, but straight away downloaded and installed MIUI9 very very quickly.

Solution Shop seemed to have been good for me to deal with. I initially went with them as they offered a case, screen protector, paid the taxes and provided a 2 yr warranty. There was no protector. Like all warranties, there are a number of exclusions. It is probably a personal choice as to whether to bother with a warranty on a €180 Chinese handset given what it covers ahead of just buying the cheapest deal that can be obtained and hoping for the best. However, it was nice to buy knowing the customs was sorted and it came within 4 days. Was probably worth paying a few bob extra for that alone IMO.

I'm just starting to get my head around it. I was slightly disappointed with the lack of documentation/instructions (i.e. none) that came with the handset so I don't think that I've totally optimised the setup (pretty sure I've not). However, will read a few sites, collate a few ideas and see where it takes me.

I've no intention to modify it with a custom ROM - I don't feel there is the need to do so for my level of usage. There are a number of free screen skins available in order to alter its appearance. Will look at some of them.

In terms of the camera, it seems fine to me. I'm not really sure what level of quality you should be expecting from a handset like this, but I'm sure it will be more than adequate for me and most other users.

Next will be to try the radio and add some songs and e-books.

Overall, quite happy with the handset. It's size is a bit worrying initially as it appears bulky and therefore more prone to getting broke. Also, quite happy with the Solution Shop. I've not received an invoice for the purchase, but I've requested one for my records. I think this is common with a number of suppliers now, so I expect it to be emailed to me. If not, I'll update this thread with the details.

Look on the Note 4 thread

Discodog wrote: »
    Look on the Note 4 thread

Only noticed it after posting. I've subscribed on it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Looking for a cheap 5" fone with good battery life??

Anything out there apart from the redmi 4x

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

mikeysmith wrote: »

Not that I could see. Ended up buying it. Couldn't beat it for the money and wanted something semi reliable as it's not for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Geek buying black Friday code actually INCREASES the cost of a Redmi Note 4 from $199.99 to $202.39

Screen shows 199.99 to be a big discount - when you apply the code the price increases and the discount doesn't bring it below!!!!

Cowboys Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Geek buying black Friday code actually INCREASES the cost of a Redmi Note 4 from $199.99 to $202.39

Screen shows 199.99 to be a big discount - when you apply the code the price increases and the discount doesn't bring it below!!!!

Cowboys Ted

And they are one place id have no bother recommending. Its a common thing - look at using the likes of camelcamel for Amazon purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

mikeysmith wrote: »

www.kimovil.com

Use the filter function to get the phone specs and price you want, good battery would be at least 3000 mah.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

A whole week waiting on customs :(
    Get on with it!

A whole week waiting on customs :(
    Get on with it!

Really? Mine cleared in a couple of hours. Is it shipping with a courier?

• Advertisement

Really? Mine cleared in a couple of hours. Is it shipping with a courier?

DHL.
    It's status every morning is updated with "Clearance event"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭corkie

Revenue says Customs charges too (and those are subject to VAT also). I'll report back when the slap me with the bill.
    DHL.
    It's status every morning is updated with "Clearance event"

Just curious but don't you need to pay your custom charges, for it to be processed?

corkie wrote: »
    Just curious but don't you need to pay your custom charges, for it to be processed?

No one has contacted me to give me the opportunity to. Only contact i've had is 2 calls from DHL. 1 to confirm the package and inform me that customs were looking at it, and the 2nd to ask me to send on proof of purchase and payment.

Last time customs were looking for payment, DHL told me as I was taking it off them (first I heard about owing tax on it). Basically said you owe X on this parcel, you need to pay it before I can give it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jpos

Hi guys, great thread. Really helpful for so many little things I would never have thought of. Struggling at the moment to figure out which to go for. MiA1 or RedMi Note 4. Anybody tried both?

Last time customs were looking for payment, DHL told me as I was taking it off them (first I heard about owing tax on it). Basically said you owe X on this parcel, you need to pay it before I can give it to you.

I got mine last week. I was sent a txt to pay the customs but it was already with the driver and he rang to say he could also take payment when he arrived. I wonder was there no invoice on your package. Who'd you buy from?

I got mine last week. I was sent a txt to pay the customs but it was already with the driver and he rang to say he could also take payment when he arrived. I wonder was there no invoice on your package. Who'd you buy from?

Further Details - Shipment has been given a release by Customs.
    Next Steps - Unless there is an adhoc exam or a stop by another regulatory authority the shipment will proceed to delivery

Must bring a wedge of cash to the office tomorrow so ;)

Further Details - Shipment has been given a release by Customs.
    Next Steps - Unless there is an adhoc exam or a stop by another regulatory authority the shipment will proceed to delivery

Must bring a wedge of cash to the office tomorrow so ;)

Hope you get it tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

eamonnq wrote: »
    What did it cost you ?

Solutions Shop seem to be well thought of, so I would think a lot of people will be using them (some regularly!!).

Cost 237 including about 8 euro delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jaycornyn

Trying to decide between Redmi Note 4 or the Zuk Z2 Pro. I read plenty about the Redmi Note 4 and seems like a decent phone. Haven't seen much about the Zuk. It seems a powerful phone for the money. One downside is no SDslot but it does come with 128GB so it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone used a Zuk before. Any good. I'd be leaning towards note 4 purely because it tried and tested but the Zuk is tempting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Jaycornyn wrote: »
    Trying to decide between Redmi Note 4 or the Zuk Z2 Pro. I read plenty about the Redmi Note 4 and seems like a decent phone. Haven't seen much about the Zuk. It seems a powerful phone for the money. One downside is no SDslot but it does come with 128GB so it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone used a Zuk before. Any good. I'd be leaning towards note 4 purely because it tried and tested but the Zuk is tempting!

Big difference in price but ZUK purely on specs. If you are spending about that much, check out the Meizu Note 6. Good camera i believe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement