Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Haven't kept up to dates with Chinese phones for about 4 or 5 months, is the Mi A1 better than the Note 4/whats the consensus between the two? Seems very similar specs wise

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Happy out so far. Everything seems to work.
    Finger print reader is 90% spot on.
    Fast charging working great.
    All sensors working (GPS, Wi-Fi, mobile, gyroscope etc)
    Battery is OK (from usage so far, early days still) - fast charging makes up for it a bit, but today with only a bit of use I've had to charge it as it was going to die (30 mins maybe got me an additional 70% battery back)

First and continuing impressions are great. Lovely packaging (phone, booklet, ear phones, charger, adapter, USB type b to type c adapter for your old charger), key ring sim card tool.

For 263 or so euro, I'm happy.

Antutu kept cropping up as a battery usage so I uninstalled it. Ended today on about 40% after quite minimal use. Seems to have helped.

One thing of note, the vibrate feedback is super loud. I like the vibrate feedback, but I'm inclined to turn it off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

After over a year following this thread I finally took the plunge and ordered the a1 last night from geekbuying Italian warehouse! Used the code geekbuy20 and got it for 194 euro. Hope this works out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Hayezer wrote: »
    Haven't kept up to dates with Chinese phones for about 4 or 5 months, is the Mi A1 better than the Note 4/whats the consensus between the two? Seems very similar specs wise

A1 has dual cameras (2x optical zoom and background blurring) and runs stock Android One. Worth the extra IMHO.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bahanaman wrote: »
    After over a year following this thread I finally took the plunge and ordered the a1 last night from geekbuying Italian warehouse! Used the code geekbuy20 and got it for 194 euro. Hope this works out!

I'm in the same boat. Could I get a link to that phone please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Bahanaman wrote: »

Was it 'in stock' when you ordered it ? Just to be sure that they have it available and are shipping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Could I get a link to that phone please?

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Official-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-Max-2-4GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-386692.html

You need to be registered on the site to use the code and make sure you choose the Italian warehouse option as the DHL shipping is only 4 euro,much more expensive from the other European warehouses for some reason.
    That discount code expires tomorrow

Sorry link is wrong as mentioned above the phone is out of stock

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-A1-5-5-Inch-4GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-387831.html

unfortuntely the only one they have in stock in europe is a gold phone

anyone bought an AI from Eglobalcentral.eu ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Hi sydthebeat! The link quoted earlier is the one. I was thinking the same about the black version not being available but my son has a gold honor 5x and it looks quite nice. Anyway I've been humming and hawing for so long I was driving myself mad! Now that I've actually made the order I'm still bricking it! If it doesn't work out I'll have a major dose of "I told ya so!" from the better half! The black is available at a good price in the stores outside the eu but you risk getting hit with the customs and maybe paying more in the long run. Best of luck anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

sydthebeat wrote: »
    anyone bought an AI from Eglobalcentral.eu ?

There is a thread on them, mainly about their camera equipment but a few people have mentioned buying phones and reporting bad experiences and having to fight for refunds.
    What about aliexpress.This seller has the black for 210 including DHL shipping through Europe meaning no customs

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-A1-MiA1-Mobile-Phone-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core/32829369385.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Anyone bought from fasttech or teknistore before? Looking for a Mi 5S and they're cheapest by a good bit

Might take a punt on Teknistore they've decent trustpilot ratings and they don't all look fake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Anyone bought from fasttech or teknistore before? Looking for a Mi 5S and they're cheapest by a good bit

Might take a punt on Teknistore they've decent trustpilot ratings and they don't all look fake

I've used fasttech on many occasions before but mostly for smaller purchases. Everything always arrived and as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭iba

I've been buying vaping gear from fastech for years, always found them 100% reliable.

The Mi 5s is a good phone, but go for the Mi 5s Plus if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭elvisn

So with the new leaks on the Redmi Note 5, it seems it's battery will only be 3,300mAh
    I think that might help some people decide on buying an A1 or Redmi Note 4 now vs waiting.

There will be an announcement on a handset from Xiaomi on December 7th. So not too long to wait to find out which it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

elvisn wrote:
    So with the new leaks on the Redmi Note 5, it seems it's battery will only be 3,300mAh I think that might help some people decide on buying an A1 or Redmi Note 4 now vs waiting.

That would be pretty bad if it's also going to have a 5.9inch screen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That would be pretty bad if it's also going to have a 5.9inch screen

It's the two together that made me choose the Note 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Lads I'm still on note 3 bit behind but I'll be upgrading in the new year,

Two questions hope you can help, first one battery drain and heating up to 45 degree with this charger I'm using, anyone know where to get a redmi note micro USB charger official one, it was working fine till I had to change charger,

Second question, I'm still on android 5.1 and can I upgrade to latest one without much effort?

Cheers folk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

but1er wrote: »
    Lads I'm still on note 3 bit behind but I'll be upgrading in the new year,

Two questions hope you can help, first one battery drain and heating up to 45 degree with this charger I'm using, anyone know where to get a redmi note micro USB charger official one, it was working fine till I had to change charger,

Second question, I'm still on android 5.1 and can I upgrade to latest one without much effort?

Cheers folk

For charger, I have the official one that came with device. Never used it because requiring a cheap EU plug adapter. If your living in Cork you can have it.

Which version of RN3, have you Kenzo/Kate/Hennesy? That you have never update the rom.

Make backups, then use the updater app to update to latest available rom. Download the latest and use the updater app to apply it.

Hopefully your device didn't come with a Vendor/Re-seller rom and you may have to use EDL mode to update. What is your MIUI version currently on the device. (Settings - About Phone - MIUI Version) <<< list the complete string.

After 17/18 months, My Kenzo is still going strong. Might have a look at the RN5 when it comes out. <--- But leaked specs don't sound great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

corkie wrote: »
    For charger, I have the official one that came with device. Never used it because requiring a cheap EU plug adapter. If your living in Cork you can have it.

Which version of RN3, have you Kenzo/Kate/Hennesy? That you have never update the rom.

Make backups, then use the updater app to update to latest available rom. Download the latest and use the updater app to apply it.

Hopefully your device didn't come with a Vendor/Re-seller rom and you may have to use EDL mode to update. What is your MIUI version currently on the device. (Settings - About Phone - MIUI Version) <<< list the complete string.

After 17/18 months, My Kenzo is still going strong. Might have a look at the RN5 when it comes out. <--- But leaked specs don't sound great.

Sadly not from Cork cheers the offer tough,

I am simple when comes to all them parts, I went to about phone and screen shot information, you might have a clear idea,

Yeah rn5 not looking great, mia1 atm looks great don't know weather to try away from xiaomi for a bit, lots of research to be done

• Advertisement

I am simple when comes to all them parts, I went to about phone and screen shot information, you might have a clear idea,

Yeah rn5 not looking great, mia1 atm looks great don't know weather to try away from xiaomi for a bit, lots of research to be done

Did your phone, come with that rom? And you never update. It may be a vendor rom. Not sure it looks official, but I have seen reports that it may not be.

It is a Kenzo/Kate (and not the mediatek version). I will point you at the reddit wiki for guides on flashing latest roms.

It is a Vendor/Reseller Rom. Check the reddit wiki on how to flash official with EDL Mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

ImARebel wrote: »
    geekbuying for 103EUR (not including delivery) and I shipped from HK store. It was still cheaper to get hit by customs than to pay for it from an EU warehouse

I used geekbuying before with no issues, hoping it stays that way

just to let you know, I did have to pay customs 22eur in total. So still a very good deal at 125eur. Still cheaper than the EU warehouse ones.

Just waiting on the phone to be delivered today.

Also as an aside, I'm loving my maze alpha. I'm using camera zoom as my camera and ok, it's not Samsung NOte 4 quality, but it's not bad. Not great either, but I can live with it coz I love the phone itself so much. I've had loads of people comment on it and they can't believe it only cost 160eur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Got the wrong case for Mrs kagy's redmi 4 prime.
    So free case going to fit redmi note 4 as in pic. Cheapest of the cheap, so I'll stick it in a standard envelope and if you receive it give a quid to charity.
    Pm if interested
    434891.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

mossy464 wrote: »

I ordered v recently using Xiaomi on AliE, similar to Goldway...using DHL
    phone arrived quickly, and no customs fees,

Xiaomi and Goldway AliE, advertise DHL option as incurring no customs. However if the unlikely event there are customs fees, not sure if they would refund these fees

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Folks,

Can you recommend a phone with a good camera around the €250? Ideally it'd be great if there was optical image stabilization but that might be a stretch at the price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Folks,

Can you recommend a phone with a good camera around the €250? Ideally it'd be great if there was optical image stabilization but that might be a stretch at the price point.

Check Kimovil.com and filter for what you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

mossy464 wrote: »

I doubt it from China. I ordered here. DHL is only €4 extra & delivery takes a couple of days

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Offical-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4G-64GB-Smartphone---Gold-384101.html

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    I doubt it from China. I ordered here. DHL is only €4 extra & delivery takes a couple of days

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Offical-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4G-64GB-Smartphone---Gold-384101.html

With Goldway (and possibly another ali store), they ship the product to EU country first and the onto us. Avoiding the need for VAT! Two tracking codes are usually provided by the seller. The Solution Shop is another store that does the same.

4465507932_80607359.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement