Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

Face unlock - LineageOS!

Was looking at the video, with face unlock feature: -

DON'T Buy The iPhone X

My almost 2 year old Redmi Note 3 (€180 approx) running LineageOS + Xposed + GravityBox[N]. Can unlock my phone faster than iPhone X!

I know it is not a very secure option and with Quick Unlock option of GB, i don't even have to swipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 homerun123

Hi there, anyone have any idea what are the best Irish service providers for chinese android phones? I'm thinking of buying something like a OnePlus 5t or a Xiaomi Mi5s. Asking as I currently have a vivo phone that I bought in SEA and it doesn't work great with tesco mobile but fine with vodafone... Thanks!

homerun123 wrote: »
    Hi there, anyone have any idea what are the best Irish service providers for chinese android phones? I'm thinking of buying something like a OnePlus 5t or a Xiaomi Mi5s. Asking as I currently have a vivo phone that I bought in SEA and it doesn't work great with tesco mobile but fine with vodafone... Thanks!

You should be looking at phones that have Band 20(800) for LTE use here.

Not if the Networks support your phone.

https://willmyphonework.net/

The xiaomi phone you listed doesn't have band 20. The Oneplus does!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Jaycornyn wrote: »
    Ordered the redmi note 4 4/64 of thesoluionshop for 188 with customs paid. Was thinking of waiting for the note 5 but I'm glad I didn't. Probably could have got it a bit cheaper but the 2 year warranty swayed me.

Do the solution shop ship from the UK? Thinking of getting this phone, https://thesolutionshop.global/product/mi-a1-4gb-ram-64gb/

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

NTC wrote: »
    Do the solution shop ship from the UK? Thinking of getting this phone, https://thesolutionshop.global/product/mi-a1-4gb-ram-64gb/

Any advice welcome.

https://thesolutionshop.global/shipping/

They ship from China/Hong Kong to the UK and then onto us here. (UK Vat Prepaid by them) So no additional VAT to be paid by you. Has been discussed a few times in thread.
    EU Express is an innovative shipping method developed by The Solution Shop for its customers. It offers fast, efficient delivery to every country within the EU in 5-15 days. It is also innovative in that all customs duties and import taxes are dealt with and paid by The Solution Shop so that the customer has to pay nothing extra beyond the original purchase cost.

5-15 Day Delivery Time
    All Customs Taxes, Import Tariffs & VAT Pre-Paid by The Solution Shop in advance.
    Fully tracked
    Daily Flight from Hong Kong to our Dispatch Centre in the UK
    Delivered by DHL, UPS, TNT or your local post
    SMS on Day of Delivery

Delivery timing depends on almost entirely on the destination country:
    For orders to Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Romania, Slovenia, Sweden, United Kingdom

Delivery time should be within 4-10 days from dispatch/shipping. The average delivery time is 7 days from dispatch/shipping

Edit: Contact them in advance of ordering to make sure they can fulfill your order, if your looking for it for X-mas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭UrsusMaritimus

I have a Xiaomi A1 held in customs that was bought from geekbuying. I had it shipped from Spain and was expecting it to clear customs since it was of EU origin, paid more for the phone and shipping.

It shipped via MRW but I have not been contacted by either geekbuying, customs or MRW, does anyone have any experience of this?
    I have contacted geekbuying and I am awaiting a response.

If anyone has any info I'd greatly appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jpos

I have a Xiaomi A1 held in customs that was bought from geekbuying. I had it shipped from Spain and was expecting it to clear customs since it was of EU origin, paid more for the phone and shipping.

It shipped via MRW but I have not been contacted by either geekbuying, customs or MRW, does anyone have any experience of this?
    I have contacted geekbuying and I am awaiting a response.

If anyone has any info I'd greatly appreciate it.

Purchased a MiA1 also from Spain on the 1st Dec and arrived yesterday. Took longer than expected. Is it definately in customs? When I translated the page it looks like it spent a couple of days with the "policia" but was eventually shipped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭UrsusMaritimus

jpos wrote: »
    Purchased a MiA1 also from Spain on the 1st Dec and arrived yesterday. Took longer than expected. Is it definately in customs? When I translated the page it looks like it spent a couple of days with the "policia" but was eventually shipped on.

Yes it is saying "Retenido en Aduana/Policia".
    Hopefully it will move on in a day or two, very annoyed as to how long it is taking to ship. Your delivery time suggests I'll have to wait a couple more days. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jpos

Yes it is saying "Retenido en Aduana/Policia".
    Hopefully it will move on in a day or two, very annoyed as to how long it is taking to ship. Your delivery time suggests I'll have to wait a couple more days. Thanks for the reply

Your welcome. Ya I got a bit concerned but toughed it out. Showed up by courier yesterday and no extra charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭boris1234

Just received my Note 4 from Goldway.

Ordered on Friday 1st December and used DHL express option. Delivered Wednesday 13th December. No customs charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Hi, are there any android phones that are a good alternative to a google pixel?

If not, what would be the most reliable / best option Chinese android with 3gb RAM / 32 GB storage for under €250?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

There are many decent phones in around €250 but in comparing them to a Pixel would be a bit of a stretch.

If you're looking for a decent phone to the within a budget of 250 check out the likes of the Xiaomi Mi A1 - it has stock Android.
    Big thread on it here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057786435

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

GBX wrote: »
    There are many decent phones in around €250 but in comparing them to a Pixel would be a bit of a stretch.

If you're looking for a decent phone to the within a budget of 250 check out the likes of the Xiaomi Mi A1 - it has stock Android.
    Big thread on it here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057786435

Thanks, will check that out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

dixiefly wrote: »
    Hi, are there any android phones that are a good alternative to a google pixel?

If not, what would be the most reliable / best option Chinese android with 3gb RAM / 32 GB storage for under €250?

Thanks

I think that you have to be careful with comparisons. You can save a fortune if you focus on features that you need rather than ones that you don't. I went from a Nexus 5 to a Xiaomi Note 4. I can't see anything that the Nexus did better. On the other hand the Xiaomi is way better especially with battery life & it only cost €170.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I have the a1 just over a week now and am delighted with it so far. Cost me €194 from geekbuying Italian warehouse using the code geekbuy20. I'm aware there are major supply issues now though in all European warehouses. I went for the gold one which I was a bit wary about but it was the only one in stock and actually looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Bahanaman wrote:
    I have the a1 just over a week now and am delighted with it so far. Cost me €194 from geekbuying Italian warehouse using the code geekbuy20. I'm aware there are major supply issues now though in all European warehouses. I went for the gold one which I was a bit wary about but it was the only one in stock and actually looks great.

What GB you get?

What GB you get?

Got the 4/64 version

Bahanaman wrote:
    Got the 4/64 version

Wow that sounds good. Where do ye get the discount codes?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This looks interesting
    https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_1181675.html

Anyone got any views?

Wow that sounds good. Where do ye get the discount codes?

Can't remember! Think I saw it on a YouTube review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

fritzelly wrote: »
    This looks interesting
    https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_1181675.html

Anyone got any views?

On paper it looks fine.

Doing a search, there has only ever been 3 mentions of Meiigo on boards. Twice in this thread - one of which stated that their was no real reviews and once by Gearbest. No real feedback. For the money its ok, but id be more inclined to go with a more reputable brand. Even if it costs a few quid more.

Discodog wrote:
    The perfect accessory

That is actually gas.. Wonder how it self cleans though?

Discodog wrote:
    The perfect accessory

It will go as popular as the note 4, let's hope Apple don't start making them...

let's hope Apple don't start making them...

That brings back memories of the the old public toilets that weren't a full seat - had a notch removed from the top

http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/mf_image_3x2/public/toiletseat_0.png?itok=4RlHIsUd&resize=1100x740

Possibly no Redmi Note 5!

Redmi 5 may be the actual redmi note 5 with a different name. Posted by a super moderator on MIUI forums

In a Redmi 5 Plus unboxing post on MIUI Forum, a super moderator says:
    The wait is finally over, Xiaomi has finally decided to release the Redmi Note 5, wait!!! I heard it’s called the Redmi 5 Plus? No kidding?? There was a name change? Well yes folks, the 2 new Redmi Note sized phones are named Redmi 5 for the 5.7″ and Redmi 5 Plus for the 5.99″.

What will happen to the successor of the Redmi 4X which is supposed to be a 5″ Redmi 5? No one knows, but as of the moment, Xiaomi has decided to drop the Note name on their 5.7″ sized budget phones. It has been quite a year and 3 months in the waiting for all of us Redmi fans from all over the world, and now we are going to unbox the bigger sibling among the two, the Redmi 5 Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I'll be selling my maze alpha after Christmas, I can't live with the camera. Really came to the fore when trying to take pics of the kids in the run up to Christmas...

Hate having to do it as its a great phone otherwise :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

ImARebel wrote: »
    I'll be selling my maze alpha after Christmas, I can't live with the camera. Really came to the fore when trying to take pics of the kids in the run up to Christmas...

Hate having to do it as its a great phone otherwise ��

The Letv LeEco phones are dropping in price again already (may suit you). The camera is apparently very good on them. I am looking at them again.

If you are looking at them - Do not buy the X722 as there is a issue with Thermal Throttling but it does not affect any of the other models, and depends on whether or not you see it as a problem i suppose.

Surprise surprise, there are also (too) many posts on other forums suggesting not to purchase any LeTV (LeEco) phone from Gearbest as they come with malware and also seemingly shutdown after not long usage and will not power back up. This seems exclusively to Gearbest and nobody knows why :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Cheers for that. I had a Samsung Note 4 which ended up with the known emc chip issue. After much complaining they repaired it for free. So it's brand new shampoo. So I think I'll go back to that for a while. See what 2018 brings :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement