Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

Mi Mix 2 --- Review

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

My Redmi Note 4X (global version) arrived 3 days after ordering from Honorbuy. Have to say I'm becoming a bit of a Xiaomi fan boy, this is my third and they just get better and better.

Don't know how they make a phone this good for the money, mine was €140. The build and quality are faultless. A couple of Apple die hards were looking at it yesterday and just went quiet when I mentioned the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Got my first Chinese phone for Christmas. Got the Redmi 4x 3gb ram 32gb memory version. Am very impressed with it so for for the price I paid. Played it safe and ordered from
    amazon.de. Paid more for it than if I'd ordered off other websites but I trust amazon. Will be more adventurous the next time.

The only draw back is the camera which is poor so far in anything other than full daylight.
    The battery life and speed is amazing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Nightman16

Can anyone recommend a good model to get in the 100-150 range? It would be mostly used for browsing, social media and pictures so something with a good-ish camera . I've been looking at the Redmi Note 4x but the camera reviews have been pretty mixed and i've just been falling down the rabbit hole of looking up different brands and committing to nothing.

Appreciate any help lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭elvisn

Just bought the Xiaomi Mi A1 in Special Edition Red from HK Goldway for €220 all in. Will update with delivery times (currently estimated at 10 days to process order and 7-15 for delivery) and any customs issues (although I've been assured that with DHL it should avoid customs charges)

I expect the order to be processed in 24-48hours contrary to what it says on the site.

Anyone ordered through HK Goldway on AliExpress lately who have had delivery/customs issues? Or issues with the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

elvisn wrote: »
    Just bought the Xiaomi Mi A1 in Special Edition Red from HK Goldway for €220 all in. Will update with delivery times (currently estimated at 10 days to process order and 7-15 for delivery) and any customs issues (although I've been assured that with DHL it should avoid customs charges)

I expect the order to be processed in 24-48hours contrary to what it says on the site.

Anyone ordered through HK Goldway on AliExpress lately who have had delivery/customs issues? Or issues with the phone?

I ordered from HK Goldway. No issues at all. Was about 10 days from order to delivery.
    Phone is quality. Absolutely loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I ordered from AliExpress Global store using the same delivery method. Phone was processing for 7 days, delivery took 3 days once dispatched. Got 2 tracking numbers, H/K to UK and UK to Ireland. No customs issues

Goldway stopped advertising that DHL Express avoids vat. (Changed sometime between 11/11 and Christmas). So you may still get charged!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

corkie wrote: »
    Goldway stopped advertising that DHL Express avoids vat. (Changed sometime between 11/11 and Christmas). So you may still get charged!

They are still charging €20 for the DHL option which is the standard price for the no customs delivery. The last time they dropped the option the DHL cost dropped to €10 so reckon OP should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Took the plunge and bought this yesterday:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4X-4-X-Pro-Prime-Mobile-Phone-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-MTK/32828027536.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.mt7wLf

Could not find anything cheaper for 4 GB RAM and 64 GB ROM. The processor could have been better, but I do not play any games etc. just basic browsing and whatsapp etc.
    Used revolut + Quidco cashback...final amount EUR 157-161

• Advertisement

@suave.4u

Hope your living in a city, that RN4X device doesn't support Band 20 (800) for LTE use here.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

@suave.4u

Hope your living in a city, that RN4X device doesn't support Band 20 (800) for LTE use here.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thanks.
    Yes living in Dublin. Was using Redmi Note 3 before this and that was working fine.
    5 days back, it shut down due to zero battery and then would not switch on even after recharging.
    From what i read, I need a deep flash cable now. So planning to order one.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

suave.4u wrote: »
    Took the plunge and bought this yesterday:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4X-4-X-Pro-Prime-Mobile-Phone-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-MTK/32828027536.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.mt7wLf

Could not find anything cheaper for 4 GB RAM and 64 GB ROM. The processor could have been better, but I do not play any games etc. just basic browsing and whatsapp etc.
    Used revolut + Quidco cashback...final amount EUR 157-161

Hey Suave.4u, you might be better off with this one here, as it has band 20 and a qualcom chipset. Means better coverage and also better gps etc (chipset is in general better too)

This is also the larger note 4 not 4x and has, in my opinion, better spec for price?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4GB-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-5-5-FHD/32829158301.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10152_10151_10065_10068_10344_10342_10343_10340_10341_10084_10083_10304_10307_10302_10059_10314_10534_5790011_100031_10604_10103_10142,searchweb201603_25,ppcSwitch_5&algo_expid=d8a11047-d50d-4bae-b97a-bea36ad7a77d-5&algo_pvid=d8a11047-d50d-4bae-b97a-bea36ad7a77d&transAbTest=ae803_5&priceBeautifyAB=0

adaephon wrote: »
    Hey Suave.4u, you might be better off with this one here, as it has band 20 and a qualcom chipset. Means better coverage and also better gps etc (chipset is in general better too)

This is also the larger note 4 not 4x and has, in my opinion, better spec for price?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4GB-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-5-5-FHD/32829158301.html

The above phone you linked also doesn't support Band 20 (not listed in description). Which is odd for the named version of the device.

The Snapdragon RN4 and RN4X both have multiple version of the device mostly the exact same device with different Band support. (Depending on the country the phones are sold in).

It also not relevant to him since, he already ordered and probably to late to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

The above phone you linked also doesn't support Band 20 (not listed in description). Which is odd for the named version of the device.

The Snapdragon RN4 and RN4X both have multiple version of the device mostly the exact same device with different Band support. (Depending on the country the phones are sold in).

It also not relevant to him since, he already ordered and probably to late to cancel.
    Rumor: Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 to launch in Q2 2018 with Qualcomm Snapdragon 632 SoC

My bad Corkie, must have went back in to the wrong item! Yeah aware there are multiple versions both in coverage, chipset, processor and ram/rom size, not sure how I missed it on this one.

As an aside, what do you think of the news on the RN5 you just shared?

adaephon wrote: »

As an aside, what do you think of the news on the RN5 you just shared?

If it is true, gets a release and initial reviews are positive (+ Custom Rom support). I might consider updating my RN3 to it, sometime in the Summer.

Thank you guys. Yes, I already ordered; I hope it works fine.

Does anyone have any experience using the deep flash cable to flash the bootloader:

http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=316728&highlight=deep%2Bflash%2Bcable

My old redmi 3 ran out of juice and would not start. The red LED keeps blinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

suave.4u wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience using the deep flash cable to flash the bootloader:

http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=316728&highlight=deep%2Bflash%2Bcable

My old redmi 3 ran out of juice and would not start. The red LED keeps blinking.
    Try leaving it plugged in overnight, although tbh it sounds like you should be ordering a new battery not a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Going to upgrade the r3 to the mi A1 red special edition one, anyone got the best link, I've the r3 but it's a bug Rom, anyone ended up with that mi A1 to Like that before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

suave.4u wrote:

suave.4u wrote:

Full charge should fix it if nothing else happened. It that doesnt work reflash the soft ware via miflash using edl mode. Google and xda will guide you. You shouldnt need a deep flash cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

suave.4u wrote:

suave.4u wrote:

Full charge should fix it if nothing else happened. It that doesnt work reflash the soft ware via miflash using edl mode. Google and xda will guide you. You shouldnt need a deep flash cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

so I've had my Elephone P9000 for over a year now and loved it, no issues....dropped a few times, no biggy, until this evening when I picked it up and screen smashed!!! cracked from the home button up and out to the sides bout half way up.

absolutely raging but at least I get to buy a new one...misses cant give out to me know :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Any issues with Nubia?

I was thinking of buying the Z17 lite

Seems ok to me but I wouldn't have much of a clue

Any issues with Nubia?

I was thinking of buying the Z17 lite

Seems ok to me but I wouldn't have much of a clue

I was thorn between that and the Xiaomi Mi A1...after about 3 hrs going back and forth last night I pulled the trigger on the Z17 Lite from IT warehouse.

Sure I'll see how it goes anyway....
    Oh found the following coupon for 5% off any order which helped a small bit - HGRKVRID

jfk247 wrote: »
    I was thorn between that and the Xiaomi Mi A1...after about 3 hrs going back and forth last night I pulled the trigger on the Z17 Lite from IT warehouse.

Oh found the following coupon for 5% off any order which helped a small bit - HGRKVRID

what made you pick?

but1er wrote: »

what made you pick?
    it was getting late and I was tired and bulling that I had just cracked my Elephone P9000

but1er wrote: »

what made you pick?
    I think it came down to slightly bigger battery, 6gb Ram, camera quality and preference on overall look.

I think it came down to slightly bigger battery, 6gb Ram, camera quality and preference on overall look.

its such a hard call. I was convinced on getting the Mi A1 till i seen your post. im looking into ZTE

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the nubia doesnt have band 20 (800 Mhz) for 4g
    also, its not clear whether its upgradable to oreo

https://willmyphonework.net/
    check here to see if the phone will work with your priovider

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement