Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

For those interested the nubia z17 lite does have 4g. Currently sitting in office in Dublin and have 4g.
    Although it doesn't have Band 20 it does have Band 3. It will only be an issue if you are in a predominantly Band 20 area.
    poSQGtaJp

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

Sorry added the wrong image url
    SQGtaJ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10 profchaos

Hi, sorry if this is obvious or in the wrong thread. Just received a Honor 6x that I purchased from TSS.Global. The seals on the box were broken, and bootloader is unlocked and phone launches straight into the home screen. Is this normal? Site says it comes with global ROM so this may be as expected? Only other phone I purchased from China was a Ulefone Gemini from gearbest, it came sealed and went through the normal setup on an android phone when switched on for first time. This one is already set up. Just gave me a worry it's used. But don't think there's a way to tell except physical signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

profchaos wrote: »
    Hi, sorry if this is obvious or in the wrong thread. Just received a Honor 6x that I purchased from TSS.Global. The seals on the box were broken, and bootloader is unlocked and phone launches straight into the home screen. Is this normal? Site says it comes with global ROM so this may be as expected? Only other phone I purchased from China was a Ulefone Gemini from gearbest, it came sealed and went through the normal setup on an android phone when switched on for first time. This one is already set up. Just gave me a worry it's used. But don't think there's a way to tell except physical signs?

Definitely try to flash the stock firmware on the device if you are able, sounds like.its been tampered with and flashed with potentially dangerous software. Usually you can find the software to flash on the oems site. Surprised at that, purchased from the solution shop a mi a1 and it was sealed and getting updated as normal from google

You can also look up the latest software version number for the honor 6x, and compare it to the one you have in the settings - about phone screen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 profchaos

Definitely try to flash the stock firmware on the device if you are able, sounds like.its been tampered with and flashed with potentially dangerous software. Usually you can find the software to flash on the oems site. Surprised at that, purchased from the solution shop a mi a1 and it was sealed and getting updated as normal from google

You can also look up the latest software version number for the honor 6x, and compare it to the one you have in the settings - about phone screen :)

Thanks, yeh planned on flashing it before using it. Will do some digging for the official rom, looks to be the china version of it, so doesnt seem to have band 20. BLN-AL30. Will contact TSS see what they think. First time using them, not overly impressed on the communication side of things, and order status updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Redmi Note 4 has stopped charging. It keeps switching in and out of charge I have tried different plugs and the charging ports look fine. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

OkeyDoke12 wrote:
    Redmi Note 4 has stopped charging. It keeps switching in and out of charge I have tried different plugs and the charging ports look fine. Any ideas?

Maybe the cable is damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

fixxxer wrote: »
    Maybe the cable is damaged?

Have tried a few different cables. A lot of people having similar problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

My wifes is the same. It charges fine when powered off. Ive already changed the charging port thinking this was the problem. Must be software related somehow

Her phone is running the stock global miui rom

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pyrrhic7

Can the phone be booted into fastboot or recovery? (Power+vol up/down/both at the same time, if there's a home button use it in combination too)

Is there any response when it's plugged into a charger or a PC?

I can charge phone and put into recovery mode.
    What is the best software to flash a ROM?

The links/software they provided has nor worked so the phone is now soft-bricked and stuck on boot screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Pyrrhic7 wrote: »
    I can charge phone and put into recovery mode.
    What is the best software to flash a ROM?

The links/software they provided has nor worked so the phone is now soft-bricked and stuck on boot screen.

Stuck in a bootloop like? That's an easy fix, once you can access recovery you're golden.

Google's ADB is the best method, or from the device itself. Has it got TWRP or CWM installed or is it stock recovery?

Guys looking to get a good budget phone for my non techie brother. I have my sights set on a Xiaomi Redmi 4X (not the note version) which is a 5" phone and the size he prefers.

I plan on unlocking it and sticking LineageOS on it like I did with my Mi5. I'm waiting for it to go on discount again before paying for the DHL service which attracts no duty.

Anyway just before I pull the trigger are there any better deals/phones out there for the same kind of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

Guys looking to get a good budget phone for my non techie brother. I have my sights set on a Xiaomi Redmi 4X (not the note version) which is a 5" phone and the size he prefers.

I plan on unlocking it and sticking LineageOS on it like I did with my Mi5. I'm waiting for it to go on discount again before paying for the DHL service which attracts no duty.

Anyway just before I pull the trigger are there any better deals/phones out there for the same kind of money?

No BAND 20 for LTE use here, there is versions of that phone with support for it. (i.e. Example) No official LOS rom for it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭cmac2009

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Looking at the Xiaomi Mi6. Anyone here care to share their experiences. Bit worried about glass back

Anyone got any experience with the above?

corkie wrote: »
    No BAND 20 for LTE use here, there is versions of that phone with support for it. (i.e. Example) No official LOS rom for it yet.

Thanks corkie. I googled and Band 20 is very important so I'll knock that one on the head. The problem with the link you provided is that I could get walloped with duty. Oh yeah and you're right about no official LOS...I forgot but there's plenty of unofficial stuff on XDA.

Cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Thanks corkie. I googled and Band 20 is very important so I'll knock that one on the head. The problem with the link you provided is that I could get walloped with duty. Oh yeah and you're right about no official LOS...I forgot but there's plenty of unofficial stuff on XDA.

Cheers! :)

Hongkong Goldway have what you want

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Global-Version-Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-4X-Pro-3GB-RAM-32GB-5-0-4G-FDDLTE-Snapdragon-435/311331_32822666077.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.51d48a48nH87aZ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

Unfortunately Goldway, no longer advertise VAT free DHL Express delivery, so chances of getting caught for VAT. More on reddit about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

corkie wrote: »
    Unfortunately Goldway, no longer advertise VAT free DHL Express delivery, so chances of getting caught for VAT. More on reddit about it.

Its advertised on the link i posted (viewing on a laptop)
    A couple of posters on the reddit thread said they used it recently with no problems

Brilliant! Thanks guys. Glad I posted here before I bought the other one. Forgive my ignorance but what on the other one tells you that it doesn't support Band 20? I can't see anything! Out of curiosity and for future reference I'd like to know! Ta!

:edit: Wait I see it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Also shop around. In the end it was cheaper for me to buy the 4x from China and pay the small shipping plus duty rather than buying from an EU warehouse. Got one for my dad, my other half liked it so much I'd to buy a second one,lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

how about here;

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Global-Version-XIAOMI-Redmi-4X-3GB-32GB-Smartphone---Black-384682.html

its the global version, and from IT warehouse so usually 3-4 days delivery for only €1.90 DHL shipping. I've purchased 2 in recent weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

http://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi_s2lite_overview.html

Just got an email about this phone. It doesn't seem to be on kimovil yet but there is an Umidigi S2 there - release date last August.

What do you guys think?

I'm very interested but must have dual sim and band 20 like it's predecessor or I'm out. It says the price being released at is $169.99. I really like the look of it but know nothing about Umidigi, anybody any experience of these phones? :confused:

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

http://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi_s2lite_overview.html

Just got an email about this phone. It doesn't seem to be on kimovil yet but there is an Umidigi S2 there - release date last August.

What do you guys think?

I'm very interested but must have dual sim and band 20 like it's predecessor or I'm out. It says the price being released at is $169.99. I really like the look of it but know nothing about Umidigi, anybody any experience of these phones? :confused:

TIA
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/umidigi-s2-lite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

GBX wrote: »

GBX, I don't think that's the phone as that was released last August, I seen that myself. This one has Android 8.1 Oreo. I'll await some reviews I think. Thanks for the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

That Umidigi is the classic Chinese phone, seemingly brilliant specs, slickly presented, cheap as chips. But I've been burned with Xiacao, Zoppo and Doogee, all looked great but rubbish so not falling for it again.

Xiaomi are the only ones I trust now, where they are actually as good as they appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That Umidigi is the classic Chinese phone, seemingly brilliant specs, slickly presented, cheap as chips. But I've been burned with Xiacao, Zoppo and Doogee, all looked great but rubbish so not falling for it again.

Xiaomi are the only ones I trust now, where they are actually as good as they appear.

That would defeat the whole purpose of this thread. I have had a Doogee and found it decent. That aside, there are plenty of other manufacturers apart from Xiaomi that are rated pretty decently for value etc..
    ZTE, Lenovo/Zuk (n/a), Huawei, Meizu, Oppo (Oneplus), Vivo, Umdigi are also considered good, regularly having a phone in the top ten on review sites, and many more. There are a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I'd agree with Suckit, whilst Xiaomi are probably the biggest and most recommended - even by myself - they are not for without issues themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I don't want to be a buzzkill and I know there are other good Chinese phones, and part of me really wants that Umidigi, but I'm not falling for it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

GBX wrote: »
    I'd agree with Suckit, whilst Xiaomi are probably the biggest and most recommended - even by myself - they are not for without issues themselves.

Ask owners of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 about their "issues" and you'll find that even the big names fail in the QC at times, making premium phones for premium prices that turn out to fall short of expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Out of the Chinese phones which has the best camera - or is it a case you'd need to spend over 300eur to get a decent camera even on a "cheap" chinese phone (not cheap in my book but you know what I mean)

If I'm paying 300 for a chinese phone I'd probably stump up an extra 100 for a more well known branded phone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement