Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

lol... I sent them a severely damaged phone and was very pleasantly surprised to be told they repaired the phone free of charge. I just thought I'd give them a shoutout on the forum for doing so as I've bought 5 phones from them now and dealt with their after sales a couple of times with very positive results. Wasn't really trying to start a debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Have gizchina stopped selling? Had to order a Xiaomi for a friend and couldnt find them, used honorbuy in the end I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Just curious what you fine folk's opinion on Elephone is? I'm liking what I'm seeing with the U Pro, its a lot of phone for €330 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

Redmi 4x finally officially updated to Android 7.1.2 and MIUI Global 9.2
    New version seems OK but can anyone suggest how to make apps larger on screen, they have shrunk from Android 6.
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Dec4 wrote:
    Redmi 4x finally officially updated to Android 7.1.2 and MIUI Global 9.2 New version seems OK but can anyone suggest how to make apps larger on screen, they have shrunk from Android 6. TIA

Pinch the screen so the the screen edit mode comes on. Press settings and choose your preferred grid size

• Advertisement

Pinch the screen so the the screen edit mode comes on. Press settings and choose your preferred grid size

Thanks, get as far as settings but no option for grid size variation?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Dec4 wrote:
    Thanks, get as far as settings but no option for grid size variation?

Home screen layout

Home screen layout

Nope, sorry, only option here is "Lock Home Screen Layout" and that is toggled off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Just curious what you fine folk's opinion on Elephone is? I'm liking what I'm seeing with the U Pro, its a lot of phone for €330 or so.

Their cheaper phones are not great, i am not sure about their higher end, and they do provide EU service centres, but i would look it up a fair bit before buying.

They have released a few bangers, but are slowly making a better name for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Dec4 wrote: »
    New version seems OK but can anyone suggest how to make apps larger on screen, they have shrunk from Android 6.
    TIA

I use ADW launcher which has an option to change icon sizes but strangely this option doesn't work with miui.

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    Their cheaper phones are not great, i am not sure about their higher end, and they do provide EU service centres, but i would look it up a fair bit before buying.

They have released a few bangers, but are slowly making a better name for themselves.

On paper the U Pro looks fantastic, but either way i was going to wait for user reviews before jumping in.

For anyone interested in what i'm talking about, see here

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I had the P3000S for two years, if that's of any use. Excellent phone for the money with one drawback - the cheap plastic back. I had to replace the battery a couple of times too.

Dec4 wrote: »
    TIA

I have Android 7.1.2 but MIUI 9.1.1.0 and the system update doesn't go beyond 0%

Is it worth persisting with? Any fix for the Whatsapp notifications appearing twice?

I had the P3000S for two years, if that's of any use. Excellent phone for the money with one drawback - the cheap plastic back. I had to replace the battery a couple of times too.

I had a G6 for a while myself but it was 1gb/8gb so pretty useless for daily stuff. I'll keep an eye on the U Pro and see where it lands in user reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Any AliExpress stores are doing the EU express delivery option?

See Hongkong Goldway and Xiaomi Store doing it, but are there others?

I thought others might find this interesting too.. :)

myshirt wrote: »
    Any AliExpress stores are doing the EU express delivery option?

See Hongkong Goldway and Xiaomi Store doing it, but are there others?

There are a few, but i have only seen many at a glance and did not take note.
    These used to, i do not know if they still do, but they also have an EU warehouse https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2026051

Mi global (although that is probably who you meant by Xiaomi Store) https://www.aliexpress.com/store/3010045

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Suckit wrote:
    I thought others might find this interesting too..

The parts bit is very interesting

The parts bit is very interesting

I don't think he is entirely correct about the RAM.

I think many companies would rather go for a lesser quality brand, rather than a known failing batch and hope that customers do not ask for a refund. Although i could be wrong. I remember reading on another site about parts, spurious parts and different component factories. I think the factory that make Kingdian SSD's make RAM for many Chinese phone brands, and there are others too. Eaget i think was another, there are lots of them.

Most of the other stuff is well known it is just well presented and together in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Hello folks,

I bought Zuk Z2 in about January last year based on the recommendations from this forum, and I must say that until very recently I was very happy with it.

But in the last couple of weeks the battery has begun to drain really fast. And it switches itself off once the battery gets to about 35%.

Any guesses as to what my be causing this? I tried looking in the ROM controls (Dirty Unicorn) to see if there were any apps that were causing it, but there didn't appear to be.

Thanks,
    El. T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Hello folks,

I bought Zuk Z2 in about January last year based on the recommendations from this forum, and I must say that until very recently I was very happy with it.

But in the last couple of weeks the battery has begun to drain really fast. And it switches itself off once the battery gets to about 35%.

Any guesses as to what my be causing this? I tried looking in the ROM controls (Dirty Unicorn) to see if there were any apps that were causing it, but there didn't appear to be.

Thanks,
    El. T

It could be the ROM.
    If you go to settings -> Battery it should tell you what is using the most of it.
    If it is your screen adjust the brightness of it, also check for updates

Settings -> About Phone -> Updates

I'd hazard a guess and say it's the battery! :)
    I had the same thing with my previous phone. Bought a new battery for 10 euro delivered and it was right as rain again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

The Solution Shop: - Full statement on issues starting 10th of January.

On the 10th of January we started to receive reports of parcels being returned to our partners logistics centre bnin Hong Kong and these problems continued for around 7 days due to a change in export procedures in Hong Kong. Our logistics partners were meant to return these parcels back to our logistics hub but this has yet failed to happen. As such we took the decision 2 weeks ago to begin re-sending orders for those affected. However, due to this sudden increase in orders that needed processing and the increase in demand we are have experienced as we grow our warehouse was left with large delays and our suppliers failed to provider the number of units that we needed, this lead to delays for new orders also. We have since managed to re-send nearly all orders but we continue to face stock issues with the Redmi 5, 5 Plus & and Mi A1 Gold, we are sending orders as soon as we receive stock.

We have also taken the decision to implement (earlier than planned) our in-sourcing of our logistics hub in Hong Kong to try and get around and stop any future issues that comes with relying on a 3rd party. We are also moving away from dedicated freight transfer towards express freight transfers through DHL and FedEx, which should lead to slight faster, but more importantly more consistent delivery times.

We apologize for these issues but as explained above we are trying our best to rectify the situation.

Any questions please contact our support team at help@thesolutionshop.group by email for a more details on your specific order. Please do not contact us via live chat for further order details.

At present the shop has been removed as recommended store on /r/Xiaomi
    As a result of these reports, we decided to remove The Solution Shop from the list of recommended resellers. Its status may be reinstated once there are no reports of unsettled orders.

As I was one of the first to introduce the shop, to this forum. My apologies if your experiencing problems with orders.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have the Elephone p9000, which was my first foray into Chinese phones. Absolutley loved it. However, a lot of people seem to be complainng about them as they release a phone and then offer zero support/upgrades. They will probably release 8 phones this year!

I have been tempted by the U Pro, but Id rather it was €100 less. Elephone phones were normally around the €120 - €220 mark.

antodeco wrote: »
    I have the Elephone p9000, which was my first foray into Chinese phones. Absolutley loved it. However, a lot of people seem to be complainng about them as they release a phone and then offer zero support/upgrades. They will probably release 8 phones this year!

I have been tempted by the U Pro, but Id rather it was €100 less. Elephone phones were normally around the €120 - €220 mark.

It's a lot of phone for the price though. As i say i'll reserve judgement until i see some hands on reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Hello folks,

Thanks,
    El. T
    I'd hazard a guess and say it's the battery! :)
    I had the same thing with my previous phone. Bought a new battery for 10 euro delivered and it was right as rain again.

Pick is correct, random shutoffs before empty strongly suggests the cell discharge curve is becoming erratic => Its a rickety pensioner.

New pack is a no brainer.

I would check updates and software first. As they cost nothing. The S3 and S4 had issues shutting down after similar updates, they were eventually patched, but not before a few companies had sent out replacement phones that had the same issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

Hi all, gonna pull the trigger again in the next few weeks.
    Screen in my note 4 is bust. (love the phone though and have used it for 3 months with the screen damaged and the laminate on it)

So with that in mind what do you think are your top three phones to go for now.

Lets say budget isnt too much of a consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

Hi all, gonna pull the trigger again in the next few weeks.
    Screen in my note 4 is bust. (love the phone though and have used it for 3 months with the screen damaged and the laminate on it)

So with that in mind what do you think are your top three phones to go for now.

Lets say budget isnt too much of a consideration.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement