Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭muckbrien

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

muckbrien wrote: »
    Ok i thought you were referring to magnetic leads

Sorry .. :o misread in between other messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thanks. The bad reviews were on Amazon.com. I will definitely get one. Makes a useful dust plug too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

Redmi Note 5 [China] Announced!

[News] All You Want to Know About Redmi Note 5 (China): Display, Camera, Specs and More

Xiaomi launches updated Redmi Note 5 with brighter camera, AI

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Launched in China for 1,099 Yuan (~$173); Features AI Dual Camera, 18:9 Display, Snapdragon 636, 6 GB RAM

Some of them sites mention USB Type C and Oreo Based MIUI, that have not been confirmed by official sources.

Edit: - Official site: - http://www.mi.com/redminote5/specs/ >>> Translated states
    packing list
    Mobile Phone Host / Power Adapter / USB2.0 Data Cable / Three Guarantees / Getting Started Guide / High Transparency Protective Cover / Pin

Edit 2: - Specs here: - https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_5_(china)-9120.php

No USB Type C listed, confirmed Oreo based!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Looks decent. Could well be my next phone.

Working on a New thread for Redmi Note 5

See the test post for it here: -

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED]

Suggestions welcome for improvements in the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Probably should be just a Xiaomi Thread, like the Oneplus thread.

It may allow this thread to get back to posting other Chinese phones. :P:pac:

Suckit wrote: »
    Probably should be just a Xiaomi Thread, like the Oneplus thread.

It may allow this thread to get back to posting other Chinese phones. :P:pac:

Thanks for the suggestion, device specific xiaomi threads seemed to have worked for RN3/4.

An xiaomi thread would cover allot more than just phones as it sells other stuff.

As xiaomi naming scheme is confusing, a non specific thread would get very confusing.

But someone else can start one if they want.

Still looking for Improvements and suggestion for the OP on the test thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

There is a Xiaomi thread on boards.....I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

I bought a grey Xiaomi Redmi 4A with 2gb ram and 32gb storage from Honorbuy. Second phone I bought from Honorbuy. Again a great service with 3 day delivery from Italy.

Really happy with the phone after 3 days. Looks great in dark grey especially for this price range. 5 inch screen is fine, I don't have any issues with the display quality. Battery lasts about a day or day and a half. Really easy to set up and no issues at all with the Mi skin/software, I think it looks good and doesn't seem to be full of bloatware. Handy little feature is when you go to shut down open apps it tells you how much ram is free. I have approx 1gb free with all apps closed. I'm not finding any lag on apps so far.

Only annoying thing is that the navigation buttons are not backlit and with the tempered glass protector I also got from Honorbuy on its hard to see the symbols even during the day. But that's really not a big issue as I just turned on navigation vibrate so I know that I've pressed one of the buttons.

All and all a great little phone. Be perfect for a first phone, backup phone or for someone who's always losing or breaking their phone. Indeed I got it as a back up phone while I'm waiting to get the screen repaired on my Mi A1.

If anyone has any questions about this phone please post.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

gooner99 wrote:
    Only annoying thing is that the navigation buttons are not backlit and with the tempered glass protector I also got from Honorbuy on its hard to see the symbols even during the day. But that's really not a big issue as I just turned on navigation vibrate so I know that I've pressed one of the buttons.

If you root it you can enable the on screen navigation buttons using terminal emulator. Much easier to use especially at night

Redmi Note 5 [WHYRED] Thread, now open for discussion.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Note: - I no longer have the ability to edit the first message, so modifications to it would need to be requested from a MOD.

Anyone have a link for just the cable? I have ordered the set but want a second cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

My biggest gripe with Xiaomi is the on screen bezel around the edges. Ugly and quite visible in any colour but black hence why I have two black Xiaomis (Note 4 Prime and Mi A1).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Kilboor wrote:
    My biggest gripe with Xiaomi is the on screen bezel around the edges. Ugly and quite visible in any colour but black hence why I have two black Xiaomis (Note 4 Prime and Mi A1).

There's this company called Apple and you should go check out there devices, there bezels are just amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Kilboor wrote: »

Using an Elephone U Pro for the last month or so, an S9 in appearance and I'm really quite happy with it. Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Ok, so I've been over on the S9/s9+, S8/S8+ threads, been checking out the mate 10pro also, been asking buddies what they have and chinese androids were mentioned the odd time ...

I know its a very open question, but what are the best options to start looking into?

I'm looking for a combo of the s9+ and the mate 10pro ...so good camera, big screen, good battery ... wireless charging?

whats out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭muckbrien

Anyone have experience of redmi note 4x v redmi 4x battery life and general use

Have the note 4x but thinking of going back to a 5" fone

They have the same battery so I presume they're comparable

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Ok, so I've been over on the S9/s9+, S8/S8+ threads, been checking out the mate 10pro also, been asking buddies what they have and chinese androids were mentioned the odd time ...

I know its a very open question, but what are the best options to start looking into?

I'm looking for a combo of the s9+ and the mate 10pro ...so good camera, big screen, good battery ... wireless charging?

whats out there?

What is your budget?

Try putting your specs in here: - https://www.kimovil.com/en/

Could not think of chinese device that has wireless charging of hand, if that is a must?

Xiaomi Mi 7 May Support Qi Wireless Charging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

corkie wrote: »
    What is your budget?

Try putting your specs in here: - https://www.kimovil.com/en/

Could not think of chinese device that has wireless charging of hand, if that is a must?

Xiaomi Mi 7 May Support Qi Wireless Charging

Sub 300

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Using an Elephone U Pro for the last month or so, an S9 in appearance and I'm really quite happy with it. Worth a look.

What? When did it get released. Never heard a peep and was waiting on word.

How is the u pro? Looked to have fantastic spec on the initial site etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

whats out there?

You could start by looking at some of the Vivo or Oppo phones.
    The Vivo V7+/Vivo X20+ or the Oppo F5 for example.
    Depending on where you look the results vary when comparing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Sub 300

THL Knight 2 has wireless charging but doesnt come close specs wise.

There's this company called Apple and you should go check out there devices, there bezels are just amazing

Ouch, I think the design looks bad personally in any colour but black. Also apple phones have terrible bezels amongst other baffling features

Kilboor wrote: »
    Ouch, I think the design looks bad personally in any colour but black. Also apple phones have terrible bezels amongst other baffling features

Just get a Xiaomi Mi Mix

http://www.mi.com/en/mix/

Discodog wrote: »
    Just get a Xiaomi Mi Mix

http://www.mi.com/en/mix/

No thanks I don't like bezeless incidentally. It's the on-screen bezel I'm talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CassoBigLemons

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Tesco in UK selling Xiaomi phones now

Woah! This is interesting news. Maybe they are going to use them as their low end phones. Mi 5a, Mi a1, Mi max 2. Any idea since when this is listed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

I just bought a honor view 10 and I need to get a case in a hurry. Can anyone recommend a case that can be delivered quickly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement