Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Beans_On wrote: »
    very tempting but is B20 not a must for 4g in ireland?

Not a must. Somebody picked it up earlier in the thread and ran with it.

Band 3 is 4G here too, but mainly larger cities. Band 20 is better for Rural 4G.
    3G should be available everywhere.
    That said, I thought it did have Band 20, i was looking at another phoneat the same time and must have see it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eoinpower02

Posted before but just said I'd ask again my mi5 powered off and won't power back on at all, anyone had similar issues or know of any fixes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Posted before but just said I'd ask again my mi5 powered off and won't power back on at all, anyone had similar issues or know of any fixes?

This was a post on xda and then someone replied saying it worked

"You need to disconnect the battery smile.gif ( holding 10 seconds will not help )
    Open the back cover, remove the screws and the plastic motherboard cover and disconnect the battery flat cable, and connect it back in."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

This is bad news. Huawei will soon no longer offer bootloader unlocks for their devices!

https://twitter.com/PaulOBrien/status/999621512792600576

Reddit Discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

have they even made a good phone in the last 5 to 6 years?

The p20 comes to mind, but had feck all support either way.

• Advertisement

spix wrote:
    This was a post on xda and then someone replied saying it worked

spix wrote:
    "You need to disconnect the battery

spix wrote:
    ( holding 10 seconds will not help ) Open the back cover, remove the screws and the plastic motherboard cover and disconnect the battery flat cable, and connect it back in."

Will give that a try thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭cmac2009

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Any Xiaomi MI6 users here? Looking to get one but a little concerned about how heavy it is - any comments on this. Cheers

Any owners to comment on this?

spix wrote:
    ( holding 10 seconds will not help ) Open the back cover, remove the screws and the plastic motherboard cover and disconnect the battery flat cable, and connect it back in."

Update, tried this but it's still the same when you plug it in it flashes red but when you try to power it on nothing, I'm thinking maybe replace the battery but I'm not sure any other ideas?

Update, tried this but it's still the same when you plug it in it flashes red but when you try to power it on nothing, I'm thinking maybe replace the battery but I'm not sure any other ideas?

Apparently quite a few mi5s suffer from this. The mainboard could also be dead. Since the phone was open did you get a look at the moisture indicators, were they white or red?

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Any owners to comment on this?

There isn't much difference in weight between light and heavy phones of the same screen size, you won't really notice it without side by side weight comparison. How heavy a phone feels is more down to its weight distribution.

• Advertisement

spix wrote:
    Apparently quite a few mi5s suffer from this. The mainboard could also be dead. Since the phone was open did you get a look at the moisture indicators, were they white or red?

I can check it again it wasn't dropped in water anyway so I doubt it's moisture damage I replaced the battery before but it was just a cheapish one from aliexpress could that be the issue?

I can check it again it wasn't dropped in water anyway so I doubt it's moisture damage I replaced the battery before but it was just a cheapish one from aliexpress could that be the issue?

Could well be, why did you need to replace the original one? Definitely worth trying a new battery anyway, try the Nohon replacement one, they're probably considered the most reliable 3rd party ones.

spix wrote:
    Could well be, why did you need to replace the original one? Definitely worth trying a new battery anyway, try the Nohon replacement one, they're probably considered the most reliable 3rd party ones.

The original one wasn't charging right then started to swell so I took it out before it exploded I'll try one of the Nohon ones anyway and see how I do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Had a redmi note 3 pro then replaced that with a mi5. Looking for an update now but not interested in paying mix2s prices. Contemplating the redmi note 5 or the mix2, 64gb minimum. Bought the mia1 for the missus and it's a cracker so I dunno what to buy!!!
    Trouble ( for me) is there's so many variants- any advice welcome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Had a redmi note 3 pro then replaced that with a mi5. Looking for an update now but not interested in paying mix2s prices. Contemplating the redmi note 5 or the mix2, 64gb minimum. Bought the mia1 for the missus and it's a cracker so I dunno what to buy!!!
    Trouble ( for me) is there's so many variants- any advice welcome!!

Was having a quick look at the Redmi S2, cheap and cheerful ?

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-s2

No band 20 for starters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Have you looked at any other brands, e.g. Vivo, Nubia or Oppo, or just prefer Xiaomi?

E.G. The Nubia Z17, Oppo R11 or Vivo V7+

They would be in or around/inbetween the specs of both phones mentioned.

Suckit wrote: »
    Have you looked at any other brands, e.g. Vivo, Nubia or Oppo, or just prefer Xiaomi?

E.G. The Nubia Z17, Oppo R11 or Vivo V7+

They would be in or around/inbetween the specs of both phones mentioned.

I haven't, took a chance on Xiaomi and like them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

I haven't, took a chance on Xiaomi and like them

I'm a Xiaomi owner,last 2 phones, currently mi Max 2 ,but am definitely going to Nokia 6.1(2018),got the smallie a 7 plus,like the sturdiness,and pure android one of the Nokia

I'm a Xiaomi owner,last 2 phones, currently mi Max 2 ,but am definitely going to Nokia 6.1(2018),got the smallie a 7 plus,like the sturdiness,and pure android one of the Nokia

Yeah was contemplating the mia1 for Android one

eamonnq wrote: »
    Was having a quick look at the Redmi S2, cheap and cheerful ?

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-s2

No band 20 for starters though.

That kimovil site is excellent ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Yeah was contemplating the mia1 for Android one

got her indoors one recently...its great..with great battery life. . IF you can install google camera app... amazing how much difference that made to her taking pics.

always liked the look of the mi max 2... thats 16:9 right ?...huge screen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,676 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

dougm1970 wrote: »

Mi Max 3 is coming out in July apparantly a 7” display but they are dropping the headphone jack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭horse7

Have a mi max first gen,don't think I could manage a 7ins.

horse7 wrote: »
    Have a mi max first gen,don't think I could manage a 7ins.

I think it’s the same dimensions but slimmer bezels more details at the following link
    https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/mi-max-3-3677699/

I think it’s the same dimensions but slimmer bezels more details at the following link
    https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/mi-max-3-3677699/

no. not same. new one is 18:9 older ones 16:9
    that makes a big difference.
    for instance...my old samsung note 4 was 5.7" @ 16:9 and its a wider....and sometimes feels larger...than my current s8+ @ 18:9 (well... 18.5:9) which is 6.2"

funny how aspect ratio thats small on paper makes such a difference.

no. not same. new one is 18:9 older ones 16:9
    that makes a big difference.
    for instance...my old samsung note 4 was 5.7" @ 16:9 and its a wider....and sometimes feels larger...than my current s8+ @ 18:9 (well... 18.5:9) which is 6.2"

funny how aspect ratio thats small on paper makes such a difference.

Ah yes because it is taller but narrower so the older Mi Max 2 will probably look and feel bigger as it is a wider phone. I have a One Plus 6 on order and I am interested to see the difference between my current iPhone 6S Plus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Yep fabulous phone,but updates are slow from Xiaomi,so leaving Chinese phones,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Have a redmi note 4. All is good except i cant send picture messages for some reason. Anyone have this issue before and if so how did you solve it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,578 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yep fabulous phone,but updates are slow from Xiaomi,so leaving Chinese phones,

Slow?

Android one phones update when available

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement