Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭corks finest

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Slow?

Android one phones update when available

Referring to mi Max,and non android one mi phones

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Unless you pay for a flagship device or just under that , getting updates is not always a given. depends on the network and how forthcoming they can be and the device.
    Even at that updates don't always change much on a phone so it's not always a necessity - maybe for security more than anything.

GBX wrote: »
    Unless you pay for a flagship device or just under that , getting updates is not always a given. depends on the network and how forthcoming they can be and the device.
    Even at that updates don't always change much on a phone so it's not always a necessity - maybe for security more than anything.

Yep,but another annoying Xiaomi trait is fairly hard to get phone unlocked,my mi Max 2 and windows 10 aren't compatible,so downloading the necessary bits n bobs to enable unlocking is a no no, moving away from Xiaomi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Any recommendations for a cheap phone between 100-150 max?! Preferably something closer to 5" screen size

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭wiz569

Yep,but another annoying Xiaomi trait is fairly hard to get phone unlocked,my mi Max 2 and windows 10 aren't compatible,so downloading the necessary bits n bobs to enable unlocking is a no no, moving away from Xiaomi

Mi Max 2 and windows 10 are compatible but yes unlocking is a pain, but Huawei are not allowing unlocking at all anymore I believe

• Advertisement

wiz569 wrote: »
    Mi Max 2 and windows 10 are compatible but yes unlocking is a pain, but Huawei are not allowing locking at all anymore I believe

Ref windows 10 ,mine isn't,so gave up trying ,fab phone otherwise,3rd Chinese phone , security v good, great screen, might get the mi equivalent of Oreo late July,but going for pure android , Nokia looking good,or G6 plus is tickling my fancy also,if we get the Nokia X6 in Europe I'd have choice issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭wiz569

Ref windows 10 ,mine isn't

Then it's your setup at fault m8 as I have used windows 10 on the wife's Mi Max 2 no problem, probably wrong drivers or such I'd reckon.

wiz569 wrote: »
    Then it's your setup at fault m8 as I have used windows 10 on the wife's Mi Max 2 no problem, probably wrong drivers or such I'd reckon.

Yeah probably, secondhand pc,won't update drivers,or Windows 10 so I'll soldier on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Pacifico wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a cheap phone between 100-150 max?! Preferably something closer to 5" screen size

There are quite a few (a lot actually) that are decent in that price range.
    If you are using Geekbuying you may want to try different colours in different Warehouses to get the best price delivered within Europe (no extra fees). With some phones, always check if there is a 'Global' or 'International' version before purchasing. Not in any order.

There are plenty more to look up and double check on here or other forums.

Lenovo, Nubia, LeEco, Xiaomi, Honor etc...

EDITED: :/
    Sorry, I only noticed now that you preferred around 5 inch size, so I removed those links.

Asus Zenfone, Sony Xperia, Huawei P9 Lite, Nubia Z17 Lite among others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Pacifico wrote: »

Nokia 2 on VF payg, 30 euro when switching

Phone comes unlocked in the box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Selling an honor view 10 if anybody is interested. US model so has android 8.1 . Also have the boot loader unlock/lock code should it be needed. Barely used and has never had a sim in it. Comes with an adaptor for the plug too. Black colour. Bout 430-420 euro as customs etc :) generally about 450 new + customs of around another 40-60. Thought I’d post it first here since you guys are cool :)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Those of you who purchased from Geekbuying-how long did they take to dispatch your order?

I'm looking to buy a Mi Max 2 and it seems my only options for sellers with EU warehouses are either them or Gearbest.

I've read some very mixed reviews about Geekbuying, but after reading here I think I'll be giving Gearbest a miss...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

sunbeam wrote: »
    Those of you who purchased from Geekbuying-how long did they take to dispatch your order?

I'm looking to buy a Mi Max 2 and it seems my only options for sellers with EU warehouses are either them or Gearbest.

I've read some very mixed reviews about Geekbuying, but after reading here I think I'll be giving Gearbest a miss...
    I would recommend honorbuy

I was going to go with Honorbuy, but they don't have the international version in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

I was going to go with Honorbuy, but they don't have the international version in stock

That would be hard for them, because there is only one version of that phone. : - https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/specs/mimax2

Edit: - Sellers are probably just putting a global rom, on the device for you. Which you can do yourself?
    http://en.miui.com/download-328.html

Well that's how they labelled the version with the global rom on their website. Silly me. :rolleyes:

https://www.honorbuy.com/1135-mi-max-2-mi-max-s-global-version-64gb-smartphone.html?search_query=mi+max+2&results=719

It doesn't look like they have any stock of the phone in Europe anyway

Well that's how they labelled the version with the global rom on their website. Silly me. :rolleyes:

https://www.honorbuy.com/1135-mi-max-2-mi-max-s-global-version-64gb-smartphone.html?search_query=mi+max+2&results=719

It doesn't look like they have any stock of the phone in Europe anyway

I'll be getting rid of mine soon,and there's a few decent ones on adverts .ie, would u not wait for the new mi Max 3

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They were brilliant with my Note 4 shipped from Italy. It arrived about 48 hours after ordering with DHL delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Missing band 20 plus it’s being discounted at the moment as Mi Max3 is launching in July. I would also recommend Honorbuy it’s great to order a phone and have it delivered within 2 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Hi all,

Where would be the best place to get the Xiaomi Mi A1? I presume anyone that has got it has got it through a european warehouse to avoid customs and get quicker delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 b4dr1

Colemania wrote: »
    Hi all,

Where would be the best place to get the Xiaomi Mi A1? I presume anyone that has got it has got it through a european warehouse to avoid customs and get quicker delivery?

I did from honorbuy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

b4dr1 wrote: »
    I did from honorbuy

Was it recent enough? Did you get caught for customs?

Honorbuy dont seem to have it in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 b4dr1

Was it recent enough? Did you get caught for customs?

I got mi A1 in October last year. It was from European warehouse possibly Italy through DHL.

It was a perfect transaction through PayPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Hi all,

last month i got her indoors one from geekbuying via a germany warehouse...ordered on a friday and here on following tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

I need to buy a phone for my just turning 13 year old and he is relinquishing control of the purchase to me, he says he would like a 5" screen, maybe a little bigger but not lots bigger, I have honor view 10 5.99" and his dad has moto g5s plus 5.5".
    He doesn't like the moto at all but does like mine because of the slimness.

I was thinking the mi a1 or a redmi note 4? Thoughts please? He likes bells and whistles and it needs to have decent storage for apps, mininum 32gb. Max budget of 250 I'd say but preferably cheaper.

He had an apple in mind but any recent editions are too expensive and my preference is for an android

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

loopymum wrote: »
    I need to buy a phone for my just turning 13 year old and he is relinquishing control of the purchase to me, he says he would like a 5" screen, maybe a little bigger but not lots bigger, I have honor view 10 5.99" and his dad has moto g5s plus 5.5".
    He doesn't like the moto at all but does like mine because of the slimness.

I was thinking the mi a1 or a redmi note 4? Thoughts please? He likes bells and whistles and it needs to have decent storage for apps, mininum 32gb. Max budget of 250 I'd say but preferably cheaper.

He had an apple in mind but any recent editions are too expensive and my preference is for an android
    Go for the mi a1 it's a great phone about 190 from honor buy.com eu warehouse and 2 day delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

massy086 wrote: »
    Go for the mi a1 it's a great phone about 190 from honor buy.com eu warehouse and 2 day delivery

Or the redmi note 5 global version?

For an extra €20 you'll get a faster CPU which may be important if he plays games, plus a better camera, bigger battery and 18:9 screen

• Advertisement

Or the redmi note 5 global version?

For an extra €20 you'll get a faster CPU which may be important if he plays games, plus a better camera, bigger battery and 18:9 screen

This. While the A1 and Note 4 are good phones. The RN5 is way ahead and for the price difference you are gaining more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement