Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

mcgovern wrote: »
    Thanks all for the answers, did you ship it in a padded envelope or the box it came in?

Stuck it in the box, in a padded envelope to be doubly sure. Don't ask for a repair or replacement, demand a full refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Stuck it in the box, in a padded envelope to be doubly sure. Don't ask for a repair or replacement, demand a full refund.

What about the battery, were AnPost not charging extra or refusing to accept lithium batteries a while back also ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

eamonnq wrote: »
    What about the battery, were AnPost not charging extra or refusing to accept lithium batteries a while back also ?

I haven't a clue, I made no mention of a battery and no one asked about one.

This was two years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

corwill wrote: »
    Have the various early teething problems, particularly with the battery and the camera, been fixed with updates?

I don't have battery issues at all, although I rooted immediately for bloatware purposes. A day to a day-and-a-half with relative ease usually (after 2-months). Early days I suppose, but it gives a lot. My Note 4 seemed to be too obsessed with sensors etc and it's multi-features (which can be muted) which took its toll on battery life. But why would you want a phone that you have to consistently mind and battery preserve. This thing just does what you want and provide plenty of life.

The camera is decent (all said), and many would be happy with it, but it does have varied results. I'm also coming from a Lumia 1520 (so no real contest there!). The Zenfone might just need tweaking (there's a wealth of cam options) but it does have quality in its essence. You can get great shots. But it might need more attention and for a quick snap it may not produce all the time but that could be down to settings. Personally I haven't really given it a true test in camera work but that's not my thing generally.

All said, a superior device to most that come in at the price and range. In fact I can't see anything else that comes close for the price considering the spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Sorry and to say about updates, there was an OTE that supposedly fixed bugs etc but it made no difference. Which is a good thing, because it wasn't even necessary or noticeable. New OS updates I can't comment on yet, like to Android M, but we shall see. Asus do give good support for trivial things anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

Looking at getting the K3 note but i'm a little hesitatent due to the 5.5 screen size. Should this be a deal breaker? How do people find the size?

Looks a cracking phone for the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,000 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It doesnt take too long to get used to a 5.5" screen. It might seem like a huge jump if you're changing from quite a small unit but you'll soon adjust and get used to having the larger screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

fergpie wrote: »
    Looking at getting the K3 note but i'm a little hesitatent due to the 5.5 screen size. Should this be a deal breaker? How do people find the size?

GBX wrote: »
    It doesnt take too long to get used to a 5.5" screen. It might seem like a huge jump if you're changing from quite a small unit but you'll soon adjust and get used to having the larger screen.

I actually miss having a larger phone, my next one will more than likely be a 5.5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Harika

ZUK Z1 gets an international version, that will be revealed tomorrow. GSMARENA

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭shanek248

unaaine wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I see they're on their holidays though until the 17th August. I guess 1 week more with the galaxy ace won't kill me :(

Just to be aware I decided to check the tracking with DHL and the delivery has been on hold for 2 days because even though I supplied the full address they only wrote

Name
    Dublin
    Ireland

On the address label and didnt include my contact number....

Dhl says it will be out with me tomorrow. Bit of a mad error and one to watch if you made an order.

On the other hand they sent it DHL on the 17th as they promised and it was in dublin waiting for me to call on the 18th so thats pretty speedy if only they werent fuppin idiots.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Gonna buy a dual boot mini pc anyone know where I can get 1 from Europe, I see them on Amazon but a lot of the seller have HK in the name which I reckon it comes from Hong Kong and a load of excuses as to why I haven't received the box :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

fergpie wrote: »

If you want to use a 5.5 inch device with one hand you need big hands!

Pretty good price here though http://kilbur.com/collections/mid-range-devices/products/lenovo-k3-note-5-5-inch-display

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Umi Iron just arrived, I will give a full review including pix on monday probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Kilbur.com seems a bit pointless. Essentially a middleman with no benefits of being a euro based site.

Kilbur.com seems a bit pointless. Essentially a middleman with no benefits of being a euro based site.

Maybe but then again you aren't dealing with Chinese companies and you get English customer care. They also claim faster "priority" shipping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Maybe but then again you aren't dealing with Chinese companies and you get English customer care. They also claim faster "priority" shipping

And that you are "likely" to be hit by customs. Have you dealt with them,do they actually provide proper customer care? Just curious

And that you are "likely" to be hit by customs. Have you dealt with them,do they actually provide proper customer care? Just curious

No, I only know it's run by a fella who posts in this thread, Kilboor, although he's never advertised it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Not to mention the fact there's only about five products listed on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jhynes1007

I recently bought a elephone p8000 from etotalk as a gift but it won't pick up and coverage with 3 or Vodafone! I own a p7000 myself! Is the frequency setting different in the two phone and not working in Ireland? Or with Irish operators?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

jhynes1007 wrote: »
    I recently bought a elephone p8000 from etotalk as a gift but it won't pick up and coverage with 3 or Vodafone! I own a p7000 myself! Is the frequency setting different in the two phone and not working in Ireland? Or with Irish operators?

Frequencies supported for P8000 are 900MHz and 2100MHz for 3G, 2100MHz is the frequency for Vodafone and 3. Similarly its 4G frequencies are 800/1800/2600 and Irish companies use 1800 so there should be no issues.

2G is also supported.

Most likely a hardware issue, Elephone are notorious for this especially their first batches!

Thanks for your help! I also did not purchase the etotalk mod room on the p8000 but when purchasing my p7000 I choose that option! It may be locked? If I unlock and root then I would defiantly know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Thanks for your help! I also did not purchase the etotalk mod room on the p8000 but when purchasing my p7000 I choose that option! It may be locked? If I unlock and root then I would defiantly know!

Did you try the other sim slot ? And make sure your IMEI is correct - From their forums "dail *#06 # to check IMEI number. If there is no problem with IMEI you will see 2 groups of IMEI number. If the numbers cann't be found you need to code the IMEI"

Kilboor wrote: »
    Did you try the other sim slot ? And make sure your IMEI is correct - From their forums "dail *#06 # to check IMEI number. If there is no problem with IMEI you will see 2 groups of IMEI number. If the numbers cann't be found you need to code the IMEI"
    Yea i did i tried that there and the numbers are there! Must be a hardware problem. Send it back to china and see what happens! Thanks for all your help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Is it just data? Mine worked fine on 3 but I had to enable the data connection first, *#"#4636#*#* -phone information and then in settings there should be an option to enable data connection. It showed as enabled everywhere else but wasn't working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Any more signs on when the Redmi Note 2 will actually be available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

daytob wrote: »
    Umi Iron just arrived, I will give a full review including pix on monday probably

Out of interest where did you pick that up from?

Im v close to buying one instead of the P8000. looking forward to the review!!!

BTW has anyone ever used coolicool.com?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

pajor wrote: »
    Any more signs on when the Redmi Note 2 will actually be available?

Mine shipped today from China so definitely around but mostly the white ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭unaaine

daytob wrote: »

Would be interested in reading your review of the umi iron also. Am deciding between this or the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2. Though ideally I'd like a similar specced phone @ similar price but with a 5" screen - just can't seem to find one. I'd be particularly interested in your feedback on how much space the on-screen buttons take up - I've only ever used a capacitive touchscreen - I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

DarrenG wrote: »
    Mine shipped today from China so definitely around but mostly the white ones.

But I wanna bluuuuuue one.

Meh just gotta wait.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement