Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Have had the RedMi 3S Pro Prime (think that's the correct term) but would like an upgrade.
    Ideally max around 200ish.
    Not mad on 6" screen but could do if needed
    Want Band 20, Min 3GB memory but ideally 4GB, NFC
    Like the idea of Android One and think Id prefer move away from Miui back to plain Android is possible.
    Have looked on Kimovil and seems like my only options are Nokia 6 2018 (maybe not the highest spec) and Nokia 7 Plus (pretty big but better specs)
    I thought Xiaomi were due another Android One phone after the A1(?) but guessing might not have NFC?
    Any recommendations much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Hey guys waiting on a delivery(not a phone) via DHL and will have to pay import tax on it I'd say but just wondering when will they notify me of what has to be paid? Will they call me before hand or something? I just seen on the tracking that it's been cleared by customs.

Just got a text from DHL that answers that question. does 104 euro vat seem like high import tax on something that I paid 350 euro for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

jayo26 wrote: »
    Just got a text from DHL that answers that question. does 104 euro vat seem like high import tax on something that I paid 350 euro for?

Was 350 the phones price on its own or with delivery?

Was 350 the phones price on its own or with delivery?

Its an android upgrade screen for bmw but yeah it cost me 350 for The screen and delivery was free.

• Advertisement

Its an android upgrade screen for bmw but yeah it cost me 350 for The screen and delivery was free.

I'm guessing 80ish for VAT the rest made up of admin and handling fee's.

I'm guessing 80ish for VAT the rest made up of admin and handling fee's.

No 104 for vat and 14 for advanced payment which I guess is handling fees and 4 for customs.

It don't really bother me as the cheapest to buy in Ireland is 650 so still saving a lot but was just a little more then expected so was wondering if they made mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The Vat rate is 23 and the duty rate is 6.5 . DHL charge about 12.50.
    So it looks about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No seems right. You'll have customs of 12% as it's over 150 and you'll have VAT of 23% on top of that. They'll add the delivery cost onto the value of the item so probably more like 365 total value.

Cheers guys I paid it online anyway so just waiting on delivery.

The seller offered to put it down as a gift when he was shipping if I had asked him to do that would I of still been caught for tax ECT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Cheers guys I paid it online anyway so just waiting on delivery.

The seller offered to put it down as a gift when he was shipping if I had asked him to do that would I of still been caught for tax ECT?

It was something in the past that you might have gotten away with, but they customs etc know all the tricks in the book at this stage. So its not really a guaranteed way anymore.

GBX wrote: »
    It was something in the past that you might have gotten away with, but they customs etc know all the tricks in the book at this stage. So its not really a guaranteed way anymore.

Cheers mate. Hope it all works ok now haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Vat rate is 23 and the duty rate is 6.5 . DHL charge about 12.50.
    So it looks about right.

It seems a little more than should be, to me, but I am assuming that it should have zero rate duty.
    https://customsdutyfree.com/ireland-customs-and-import-duty-tax-calculation-method/
    https://customsdutyfree.com/customs-or-import-duty-for-mobile-phones-to-ireland/
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

https://www.calculatevat.net/index.php

Vat is €80.50 + DHL handling €15 = €95.50

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

It's over the 150 limit for duty though? So it's charged at 13% from my understanding?

Here is another calculator, handy for Vat + Duty.

https://customsdutyfree.com/duty-calculator/

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

So i bought a redmi 5 plus 2 week ago from joybuy. I have the tracking number and the lady tracking taken was despatched to overseas on the 30th june but nothing since.
    Is it normal for to hear nothing in that time frame.
    Cheers for any reply

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

So i bought a redmi 5 plus 2 week ago from joybuy. I have the tracking number and the lady tracking taken was despatched to overseas on the 30th june but nothing since.
    Cheers for any reply

Yes. It's not unusual for a package to get delayed and show no signs of movement whilst in transit. Unless you paid for expedited shipping, you will probably have to wait a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

idnkph wrote: »
    Cheers for any reply

As I was told during a recent dispute with a Chinese seller

"The website says it can take 12-45 days, but it is not unusual for it to take 75 days or more."

For anyone looking at the OnePlus 6

OnePlus 6 https://www.joybuy.com/600316558.html

6GB/64GB €392.92 using code JSHKJHKJSKD
    Black 8GB/128GB €454.18 using code WB232VGVD
    White 8GB/128GB €454.18 using code WEBWFEEW
    Grey 8GB/128GB €454.18 using code WKEKWFKEW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ I guess if you get hit with custom it will negate all the saving.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    ^^ I guess if you get hit with custom it will negate all the saving.

Possibly would work out the same price, yep. I think you would still make some savings, but not a whole lot.

Saying that, it's only if you get hit. Joybuy normally have a tariff insurance, but it seems to be disabled for this offer.
    Best to assume you will get asked anyway, in which case it would be
    €90.37 + €12 for the 6GB/64GB Total €495.29
    €104.46 + €12 for the 8GB/128GB Total €570.64

Also best to assume slow shipping as they also have disabled fast shipping options for this offer, but I have ordered phones in offers from them before, and received them before 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Know they're not very popular anymore but anyone got a good Chinese tablet recently?

For the kid in the back of the car.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Know they're not very popular anymore but anyone got a good Chinese tablet recently?

Get a Amazon fire HD7 or 8, my son has it and its brilliant, I added play store myself too.

Lucas Hood wrote: »

There are a few decent brands.
    Xiaomi, Huawei, Teclast, Alldocube, Chuwi and others.

The Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 Wi-Fi (3GB/32GB) is on sale (recently released) for €174 (use coupons) on Aliexpress or €186 with priority shipping option on Geekbuying (use code supergangazos)

Huawei MediaPad T3 10 (2GB/16GB) was €115 in littlewoods recently, not sure if it still is.

Fire Tab as mentioned above is a great option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So I was all set to buy the Mi Mix 2 a few months back, but then I got an S9 Plus through work and have been using that. Best phone I've ever used IMO

The problem is that I'm leaving next month and my manager can't let me take it with me as it's only a few months old. The Mi Mix 2S would seem the logical choice then, but I've gotten very fond of the size/performance of the S9+.
    Are there any phones that are the same size as the S9+ but with the same internals/price point of the 2S, or should I just stump up the €650ish for a replacement S9+ on adverts?

I won't be completely stuck as I still have an S7 Edge but it's just not the same :)

Cheers

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So I was all set to buy the Mi Mix 2 a few months back, but then I got an S9 Plus through work and have been using that. Best phone I've ever used IMO

The problem is that I'm leaving next month and my manager can't let me take it with me as it's only a few months old. The Mi Mix 2S would seem the logical choice then, but I've gotten very fond of the size/performance of the S9+.
    Are there any phones that are the same size as the S9+ but with the same internals/price point of the 2S, or should I just stump up the €650ish for a replacement S9+ on adverts?

I won't be completely stuck as I still have an S7 Edge but it's just not the same :)

Cheers

What about the s8 plus?

Very similar to the s9 and a good bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Where best place to buy from Europe warehouse with quick delivery. Thanks.

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »

Not sure if you meant to select just Spain there
    https://www.geekbuying.com/warehouse/

Italy often cheaper including delivery. There is a new Polish Warehouse too.
    Sometimes sale of sorts in the different EU Warehouses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement