Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Can't wait to get mine now. A few different ROMs would be nice, not the biggest fans of miui.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Any idea when the global version of the Redmi Note 2 is launching? The review above is not great, I'm between this and a Smart Ultra 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Any idea when the global version of the Redmi Note 2 is launching? The review above is not great, I'm between this and a Smart Ultra 6

Reading that the battery on the smart ultra 6 isnt great after a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Reading that the battery on the smart ultra 6 isnt great after a few weeks.

I have the SU6 about 7 weeks, and I'm still getting 2 days out of it with moderate use. Which shouldn't be a big deal, with a 3000mAh battery combined with a 1080 5.5" display and a Snapdragon 615.

It'll do the missus grand once I'm ready to get back in the C.A.P. game again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Here is the link to the written Android Authority review for the Redmi Note 2 (in case you're not into video reviews or can't watch them at work) http://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-2-review-640274/

• Advertisement

Here is the link to the written Android Authority review for the Redmi Note 2 (in case you're not into video reviews or can't watch them at work) http://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-2-review-640274/

Damn the battery is a let down, 12 hours isnt good enough for me :(

Did anyone ever get the Elephone p8000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I'm interested to see a battery review for the note 2 from Europe as I know that because of their myriad networks and spotty coverage I only got half the battery life on my moto G when i was over there due to constantly searching for networks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Did anyone ever get the Elephone p8000?

This is not about the p8000 but the p7000, but it might give you some insight:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3k6rtv/my_flagship_device_broke_so_i_opted_to_get_a/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Picked up my Honor 7 from Parcel Motel today. It's a nice piece of kit but after a while using it I picked up my iPhone 5S and it felt so small in my hands compared to the Honor 7.

So far so good except for a 2nd Sim error or something. You can fit a Micro Sim and Nano Sim(2 Sim Slots) or a Nano Sim and Micro SD which I have done for extra storage but no matter which variation you try there is a little icon on the top of the device saying there's an error.(There isn't but it says there is). :mad:

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    This is not about the p8000 but the p7000, but it might give you some insight:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3k6rtv/my_flagship_device_broke_so_i_opted_to_get_a/

Hes complaining about a long charge on that 1, but I think the 8000 has a quick charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

My HTC one M7 has seen better days unfortunately and I've just cracked my camera lens to boot. Can anyone recommend a decent Chinese smartphone for €150 or under? Only caveats are that it must have a big screen and not be a thick chunky block.

I mostly use the phone for just social media phone calls and texts no heavy gaming really only a few time killers. A decent camera would be a plus but doesn't have to be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Hes complaining about a long charge on that 1, but I think the 8000 has a quick charge.

Ive the p7000 and the charging is the same but as you said the p8000 has quick charging the only other gripe i have with the phone is that screen looks good most of the time but im viewing anything with light coloured background i can see the back lighting coming threw the screen and its really bugging me.

But at the end of the day you get what you pay for and every other way its perfect and good value for the price, id imagine the p8000 would be very similar build wise and it actually does have a different type screen then the p7000.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Ive the p7000 and the charging is the same but as you said the p8000 has quick charging the only other gripe i have with the phone is that screen looks good most of the time but im viewing anything with light coloured background i can see the back lighting coming threw the screen and its really bugging me.

But at the end of the day you get what you pay for and every other way its perfect and good value for the price, id imagine the p8000 would be very similar build wise and it actually does have a different type screen then the p7000.

I'm not sure if its even available in most places so may look elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I've the P7000 too and can recommend it.

I had to disable the fingerprint scanner to avoid poor battery life, now I'm getting 2.5 days on a full charge, but it does say it'll take 6 hours to fully charge it.
    Fine for most people who charge at night though.

GPS works well, I logged my commute with the "MyTracks" Android app successfully even though the phone had restricted line of sight, on my drivers armrest.

Camera - the panorama mode sometimes doesn't stitch the images together as well as my old Samsung S4 did... I think. Also when you take a photo in HDR mode (takes 2 photos of different exposures) to try and take one well lit photo.... I'm frequently getting blurry photos despite my best efforts to hold the camera steady.

Wifi - depends on how near you are to the router it seems. Anywhere from 6 - 10+ seconds to connect initially.

Touch Screen is slightly too sensitive, and I sometimes end up clicking on web page adverts I didn't want to.

But overall, good phone for the price if you don't want to lock yourself into an expensive carrier contract.

I like the look of the P8000 but it seems Ill be waiting ages, I may give the Vodafone smart ultra 6 a bash for a month or 2.

I like the look of the P8000 but it seems Ill be waiting ages, I may give the Vodafone smart ultra 6 a bash for a month or 2.

Did you look at the ulephone betouch2 its similar spec to the elephone and looks good too.

Did you look at the ulephone betouch2 its similar spec to the elephone and looks good too.

Looks good Ill add it to the list of possibles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aro13

Hey guys.

Just got hands on a Umi Iron. Just having one issue, I'm on 3 prepay , the phone won't connect to to the internet. I have the 3G and 4G logos popping up in the right hand corner but no connection. Anyone come across this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

aro13 wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Just got hands on a Umi Iron. Just having one issue, I'm on 3 prepay , the phone won't connect to to the internet. I have the 3G and 4G logos popping up in the right hand corner but no connection. Anyone come across this ?

Is the sim activated? I think you have to make a call (to any number) to activate a new sim and see if it works then. Also check that “data connection” is activated in the phone menu. If you’re getting 3G and 4G logos it may be weak 4G so try it as 3G only.

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Is the sim activated? I think you have to make a call (to any number) to activate a new sim and see if it works then. Also check that “data connection” is activated in the phone menu. If you’re getting 3G and 4G logos it may be weak 4G so try it as 3G only.

I can make calls and text fine. I've tried removing the sim and restarting thebphine and double checking settings. I'll try the sim in my old phone see if it works .

aro13 wrote: »
    I can make calls and text fine. I've tried removing the sim and restarting thebphine and double checking settings. I'll try the sim in my old phone see if it works .

Sorted now ! Just turned off all settings and removed sim, restarted the phone and popped the sim in and turned all data settings on and it worked! Thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I've had the Ecoo Aurora Plus now for a few months so figured I'd post about my thoughts on it so far.

Battery life is absolutely brutal, the battery definitely isn't 3000mAh like they claim. Also the screen is extremely bright, even on the lowest setting. Mine came with Kitkat, no OTA update for Lollipop yet, even though Marshmellow is being released soon. The GPS is shocking as well, I was using google maps the other day and it picked up my location as Cork when I was in Dublin. When it does work, it can be slow to track you. Also it looks like it has two speakers, but only has the one and the second is just a slot.

The camera's quite good, slow to focus sometimes. The MediaTek MT6752 processor seems to overheat from time to time, usually when playing resource heavy games, but other than that the octocore processor and 3gb ram are performing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭banham

I decided to upgrade my Jiayu G3 to a Jiayu S3. I have had the G3 for over 2 years and found it a very reliable phone, and never had any problems with it. I ordered from Chigon Technology via Aliexpress (I let them put an international rom on it). Ordered the phone on a Thursday and took delivery via DHL on Monday 10 days later.
    I transferred all my apps and contacts from my old phone to the new one and then put in the sim. The sim was not recognised. Contacted Chigon who advised factory reset, which worked and sim was recognised. I reloaded my apps and contacts and I am very impressed with this phone. The rom is completely English with Playstore installed,the only Chinese on the phone is a caricture on logo for the calendar app. Fully loaded with apps etc the Antutu score comes in at 39542. Battery was woefull for first charge but has stabilised and I get about 2 days with normal usage. I am going to get a spare battery as it takes about 5 hours to charge. Overall I am very happy with it.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-NEW-Phone-JIAYU-S3-FDD-LTE-4G-WCDMA-MT6752-Octa-Core-1-7Ghz-2GB-3G/32255381752.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

What would people recommend in the 150-180 euro price range, 5 or 5.5" screen, decent battery life and camera?

Have a THL5000 (previously recommended on here) which I think is a great phone, looking for someone else.

So far have looked at the elephone P8000 but reviews seem a bit mixed.

rickyjb wrote: »
    What would people recommend in the 150-180 euro price range, 5 or 5.5" screen, decent battery life and camera?

Have a THL5000 (previously recommended on here) which I think is a great phone, looking for someone else.

I dont think you will get a perfect phone for 200 quid with no negatives if you get me, ive the p7000 and yeh it has a few things that bug me but for value for money its excellent.

Id say the likes of the p8000 is the same and lenovo and ulephones ect they all have little bugs but for 200 or less you wont beat them in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

rickyjb wrote: »

I've had P8000 for a couple of weeks now. It's very good for price, but elephone are very bad at communication. Their new model release rate is a bit too quick (bit like Jiayu when they started up). There are not a lot of roms out there yet. But elephone are probably the only Chinese company to release their source code.

Screen is plastic I think, not convinced battery life as it sometimes only lasts a day. Have eragon Rom on it at moment and an getting 2 days out of it.

Sound is a bit quiet and there is no OTA, not sure if this is always going to be the case.

Fingerprint scanning works quite well if you scan the finger a few times. There is always a pin code to fall back on if it doesn't work.

Processor gets quite hot when playing some games.

There is a good YouTube review on it, I'll post link when I get a chance, but there's a link in the bargain alerts thread.

I'm very happy with it so far, but it's early days. It's only out a month, and P9000 was announced yesterday..

Got it from Europe warehouse elephonenobile.com delivery was about a week with free shipping. They said it was DHL and provided a tracking number, but it came by normal post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Apparently the Chinese version of the Redmi Note 2 works here in Europe with 3G and 4G. Even if only on one of the sim slots. Still so confussed. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭SM01

I know Gizchina is a reliable resource for Chinese phones however has anyone bought from the GizChina shop and if so, was the experience reasonably positive? I'm probably going to go for the ZUK Z1 when the international version is released from Gizchina shop if nobody had had any serious issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

SM01 wrote: »
    I know Gizchina is a reliable resource for Chinese phones however has anyone bought from the GizChina shop and if so, was the experience reasonably positive? I'm probably going to go for the ZUK Z1 when the international version is released from Gizchina shop if nobody had had any serious issues.

I don't recall it being especially competitive.

Any word on a release date for the Zuk Z1?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement