Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

How do I know if the cleanmaster on my phone is malware?

I had 2 versions installed, one was Chinese, the other was the "modded international version". When I went to uninstall them, I was uninstalling the Chinese version first, and a message appeared telling me about the international version.
    I then ran a scan (F-Secure) with everything installed and it detected them all. I removed the Chinese version and then disabled the International version.
    Malwarebytes kept crashing. McAfee detected the same as F-Secure but then the International version stopped appearing. Even if I enable it now, it doesn't appear in the scan results, but I'm keeping it disabled, there's way too much junk in it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Having had the Honor 7 for a few weeks, coming from a 5S, I'm quite happy with it. Android is new to me to be fair but I'm getting used to it. The Auto Correct isn't as good as iOS and I'm constantly having to change text on multiple different Apps or whatever but It's a great phone. I got the phone for €286 and I find it good value for it.

Good build quality and good specs for the money.

Missus wants a new phone for Christmas so I might consider the Redmi for her rather than this. She has a Moto G "1" so anything would be a new departure for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Berty wrote: »
    Having had the Honor 7 for a few weeks, coming from a 5S, I'm quite happy with it. Android is new to me to be fair but I'm getting used to it. The Auto Correct isn't as good as iOS and I'm constantly having to change text on multiple different Apps or whatever but It's a great phone. I got the phone for €286 and I find it good value for it.

Good build quality and good specs for the money.

Missus wants a new phone for Christmas so I might consider the Redmi for her rather than this. She has a Moto G "1" so anything would be a new departure for her.

Download swiftkey. It'll change your life if you type a lot on your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Jayop wrote: »
    Download swiftkey. It'll change your life if you type a lot on your phone.

I find the Google Keyboard much better. I had a reason for switching from Swiftkey, I've forgotten it now though.

Android 2.3 Stock Keyboard is still my favourite, Android Froyo is ancient history at this stage however :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Each to their own. I find android stock very clunky and it's not great at learning words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 JoeOD1998

has anyone used fastcardtech are they any good? im thinking of getting a phone their

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Are there different types of Redmi Note 2?

Went looking at one for my SIL and noticed that an Aliexpress Seller making references to the Note 2, TD and Prime.

I'm lost to which one to actually buy.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-XIAOMI-REDMI-NOTE-2-FDD-4G-LTE-Mobile-phone-MTK-X10-2-0Ghz-Octa-Core/32436852859.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.2Cqv5r&ws_ab_test=201556_2,201527_2_71_72_73_74_75,201409_3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Techmaster wrote: »

After buying one of these, won't get it until November it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Berty wrote: »
    Are there different types of Redmi Note 2?

Went looking at one for my SIL and noticed that an Aliexpress Seller making references to the Note 2, TD and Prime.

I'm lost to which one to actually buy.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-XIAOMI-REDMI-NOTE-2-FDD-4G-LTE-Mobile-phone-MTK-X10-2-0Ghz-Octa-Core/32436852859.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.2Cqv5r&ws_ab_test=201556_2,201527_2_71_72_73_74_75,201409_3

TDD is the version for Chinese mobile networks. Though supposedly it will work in Europe, I wouldn't want to take that chance unless someone can say otherwise. This one definitely will.

Redmi Note 2 Prime is just the name given to the 32GB version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Td-lte is the version you'll get even if you order FDD. It works perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭horse7

Still no sign of my gearbest Europe phone (shipped 19thsept).

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delph09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

horse7 wrote: »
    Still no sign of my gearbest Europe phone (shipped 19thsept).
    I'd chase them - they have lost a few orders on me, will never use them again

I'm looking for something shipping from the Geekbuying Spanish warehouse (or another Spanish warehouse but I don't know of one - need it quite quickly for a friend in Spain).

Budget is about 150 or a bit more - anyone any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I ended up ordering the Redmi Note 2 Prime from Geekbuying for 189. Just over two weeks and still not shipped. They assure me it will be shipping soon as they must check each shipment as a quality control procedure. I've never had a problem with geekbuying before but the reports of malware from earlier in the thread have made me nervous that they're up to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

geekbuying have the elephone P8000 for around €150 at the moment...seriously tempted to get this.

any reasons why I shouldnt get it for that price???

I'd chase them - they have lost a few orders on me, will never use them again

How do you chase them,I'm sending emails every day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Del007

jfk247 wrote: »
    geekbuying have the elephone P8000 for around €150 at the moment...seriously tempted to get this.

any reasons why I shouldnt get it for that price???

Isn't the P7000 a better phone even though it's older?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

might be better and older but definitely not cheaper. I might be able to survive with that price for a few months... current xperia z is very old at the moment and slowly dying more every day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Etotalk dragging their heels with sending out my phone!

• Advertisement

What shipping method did you use?
    Fast shipping (DHL etc) is 4 -7 business days
    Standard (Most expensive) is 6 - 8 business days
    Flat Rate (free) is 10 - 25 business days.

Today would only be day 10, wouldn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Was thinking of picking this up. Battery looks insane, http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_239102.html

Did you order it?
    Was thinking of getting it myself.

Allyall wrote: »
    What shipping method did you use?
    Fast shipping (DHL etc) is 4 -7 business days
    Standard (Most expensive) is 6 - 8 business days
    Flat Rate (free) is 10 - 25 business days.

Today would only be day 10, wouldn't it?

None of these are for Europe warehouse,mine was 2 to 5 days.

They have a forum on FreakTab where you might have a bit more success

They have a forum on FreakTab where you might have a bit more success

Will give it a go,ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Casey78 wrote: »
    Did you order it?
    Was thinking of getting it myself.
    I ordered it Sunday. Will give an update when it eventually arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

I had 2 versions installed, one was Chinese, the other was the "modded international version". When I went to uninstall them, I was uninstalling the Chinese version first, and a message appeared telling me about the international version.
    I then ran a scan (F-Secure) with everything installed and it detected them all. I removed the Chinese version and then disabled the International version.
    Malwarebytes kept crashing. McAfee detected the same as F-Secure but then the International version stopped appearing. Even if I enable it now, it doesn't appear in the scan results, but I'm keeping it disabled, there's way too much junk in it anyway.

Ran f secure and nothing should up, so ran anti virus in clean master and said kkbrowser and search were Trojans,avg also picked up these and mi credit and video as malware.I've disabled kkbrowser and search but won't let me uninstall them,I'm I safe with them just disabled?

Ran f secure and nothing should up, so ran anti virus in clean master and said kkbrowser and search were Trojans,avg also picked up these and mi credit and video as malware.I've disabled kkbrowser and search but won't let me uninstall them,I'm I safe with them just disabled?

I've them disabled too.
    I think all best if wiped, although, I would prefer to know if any are false positives.
    Rooting the phone and using root uninstaller will allow us to remove them and then run F-secure/AVG/McAfee etc. with all permissions.
    I'm probably going to root mine tomorrow if I get the day off.

For the Redmi note 2, I saw these, and will buy the case, may buy the battery and charger.

I'll look around some more for faster, cheaper shipping options
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-2-Multicolor-Tempered-Glass-Back-Cover-Metal-Aluminum-Frame-PC-Inside-Case/32450638012.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-2-Battery-BM45-Wall-Charger-Original-3020mAh-Bateria-Charger-device-For-Xiaomi-Hongmi/32458004079.html

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

I've them disabled too.
    I think all best if wiped, although, I would prefer to know if any are false positives.
    Rooting the phone and using root uninstaller will allow us to remove them and then run F-secure/AVG/McAfee etc. with all permissions.
    I'm probably going to root mine tomorrow if I get the day off.

For the Redmi note 2, I saw these, and will buy the case, may buy the battery and charger.

I'll look around some more for faster, cheaper shipping options
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-2-Multicolor-Tempered-Glass-Back-Cover-Metal-Aluminum-Frame-PC-Inside-Case/32450638012.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-2-Battery-BM45-Wall-Charger-Original-3020mAh-Bateria-Charger-device-For-Xiaomi-Hongmi/32458004079.html

Is it difficult to root? Would never have done that before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

I'm selling a brand new meizu MX 5 32gb silver and black(approx €390] in original box with flip case and screen protector. Will put it up on adverts when I get a chance. Anyone interested pm me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement