Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Found this on BA,might come in handy.Chinese stores pricechecker.

http://en.pandacheck.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

zerks wrote: »
    Found this on BA,might come in handy.Chinese stores pricechecker.

http://en.pandacheck.com/

kimovil is also good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

So, today I'm supposed to get my phone from an post, it took a day to get from china to sweden but it takes 6 days to get from an post to me, anyways, anyone know when what time I'll get phone around today? Didn't get it this morning.....I'm situated in Cabra, Dublin 7

I ordered another for my Nephew, expected delivery of it between the 7th and 9th. It arrived in Ireland and has been in Customs since the 15th.
    Ordered from eud.dx.com

I don't know why I tried them (they weren't any cheaper). Lesson learned :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Can anyone recommend a sub 100 euro android phone, its for me ma. Only spec she is fussy about is it must have a 3.5"-4" screen, doesn't like bigger screens. Thank you.

Has anybody refused an item, on the basis that the vat/duty was too high?

I don't know why I used DX.. :mad:
    I just wasn't thinking.
    Anyway, it cost €158 from DX and Revenue Commissioners want another €43. Which puts it way out of the price I'd be willing to pay.

DX are being very vague as to whether or not they would refund the VAT.
    They said on live chat that it wasn't their fault/problem.
    But on the website it says:
    Q: Do we need to pay extra VAT or duty for EU direct parcels ?
    A: We will separate your parcels and arrange the delivery. In normal you will not be afraid to bear the European import duty. If you are worried, we suggest you pay Import Tax & VAT Insurance when you do the checkout. Then we will pay the duty when the parcel is held by local customs.

If you have bought the Import Tax & VAT Insurance, and in the event that you are charged any tax & VAT when the package is delivered, please sign for the package and pay the taxes. Then please submit a ticket and provide us the the tax document, invoice or receipt.

Please note that the tax insurance service is only for the orders from European countries.The tax reimbursement claim must be made within 60 days from the date of shipment. The max compensation amount is up to $40 for per order.

I wouldn't call it compensation, but anyway...

I've never had to refuse an item, has anyone? Does this affect the payment, will they have to refund me?
    They also state on the website that delivery to Ireland is 7-9 business days.. :rolleyes:
    It'll be a month on Thursday.

I'd prefer to refuse it and order from Oppomart, or at that price, the Prime from Banggood or Gearbest.

Opening a dispute with paypal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Why would they have to refund you? They got it here, did you buy the 'vat insurance' from them? If not, you haven't a leg to stand on, they may refund you, but I'd be expecting them to take the delivery for both ways off you, which will probably conviently be around the 30-40 euro you're paying anyway. Chalk it up to experience and pay the customs due, its one of the things you have to do when buying from China, its said almost every 2ñd page that you may have to pay customs.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Why would they have to refund you? They got it here, did you buy the 'vat insurance' from them? If not, you haven't a leg to stand on, they may refund you, but I'd be expecting them to take the delivery for both ways off you, which will probably conviently be around the 30-40 euro you're paying anyway. Chalk it up to experience and pay the customs due, its one of the things you have to do when buying from China, its said almost every 2ñd page that you may have to pay customs.

I hadn't realised EUD.dx.com were in China. I ordered it and they said they'd deliver it between 7 - 9 business days.
    I've not received the item..
    Hence the refusal.

I take it you haven't refused an item because the vat/duty was too high?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭horse7

Any ideas to get an unresponsive screen to work. Screen powers up ,but commands only on volume control. Have done a factory reset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You asked if they'd have to refund you? I answered that. Why would they? They have delivered the item, you have every right to refuse it, I'd imagine. Just be aware they may deduct the shipping from the cost, just like any other company would if you reject the item. Even Amazon make you pay for return shipping of an unwanted item.

Hopefully someone else can help you out with an answer you're looking for, I can't imagine it's something that would happen here often.

horse7 wrote: »
    Any ideas to get an unresponsive screen to work. Screen powers up ,but commands only on volume control. Have done a factory reset.

Try removing the battery and holding the power button for 20 seconds.
    Then re insert battery and power on.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    You asked if they'd have to refund you? I answered that. Why would they? They have delivered the item, you have every right to refuse it, I'd imagine. Just be aware they may deduct the shipping from the cost, just like any other company would if you reject the item. Even Amazon make you pay for return shipping of an unwanted item.

Hopefully someone else can help you out with an answer you're looking for, I can't imagine it's something that would happen here often.

I know it happens quite often (item being refused), I just can't find any posts here from anyone that has done it.
    The shipping was free as it was eu direct.
    DX's groundbreaking European website.. :rolleyes:
    Thing is, I hadn't realised when I bought it, that Europe Direct, isn't actually a European website, it's an attempt at bypassing customs.
    They use PostNL in the hope that when it ships from Netherland to you (2nd part of the shipping), that you won't get hit for customs because it is shipped within the EU.

It's fraud and a cheap scam, but with a big company behind it.
    I was under the impression that the high price meant that duty was already paid as it was European, or like hongkongeek charges vat (except they do it legitimately).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Anybody bought the UMi Iron and received it? It looks to have good specs but I would like to hear how it handles being a daily driver.

My Nexus 4 is dying a death from serious overheating and just being plain old so I'm looking for a replacement.

Can anyone recommend a sub 100 euro android phone, its for me ma. Only spec she is fussy about is it must have a 3.5"-4" screen, doesn't like bigger screens. Thank you.

For €40 delivered.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vodafone-Smart-First-Handset-Smartphone/dp/B00XJRI0EO/

Apparently this isn't a bad phone - for the price.
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Shop/Phones-Plans/All-Phones/Xperia-E1

Or from China (Don't forget, unless stated, you may get hit for customs)

http://www.pandawill.com/DoogeeSale.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Allyall wrote: »
    For €40 delivered.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vodafone-Smart-First-Handset-Smartphone/dp/B00XJRI0EO/

Apparently this isn't a bad phone - for the price.
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Shop/Phones-Plans/All-Phones/Xperia-E1

Or from China (Don't forget, unless stated, you may get hit for customs)

http://www.pandawill.com/DoogeeSale.html

Thanks man, really appreciate it. I'll check those options out.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Franco Mario

Got my Jiayu s3 on Monday, all I can say is that this phone is awesome! I had to upgrade from kitkat to lollipop and its great except for the charging, battery can get me through 2 working days, but charging takes like 2-4 hrs, which is fine but long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,000 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I have the same phone Franco. Which version of Lollipop do you have? I am on TF Xtreme. Charging is not quick on it but I'm used to this now.

As expected, they told me to refuse it at the door.
    It still hasn't arrived and I still haven't heard from anyone that has refused it.
    I presume I won't get hit with a bill from Revenue for handling?
    Dear Customer
    Have a good day.
    We are so sorry to hear that.
    Your package Your package still stuck in custom:

2015-10-15 10:27
    DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12, ITEM SENT TO CUSTOMS
    Warm tips:For your coming orders after 8/26/2015 on EU direct,before you make the payment ,if you added “Import Tax & VAT Insurance” to your order,then DX will cover taxes fee for you .
    The tax reimbursement claim must be made within 60 days from the date of shipment. The max compensation amount is up to $40 for per order.
    All dx orders are shipped from China to our customers.Thanks for understanding.
    Your package was shipped from China to Netherlands with fast way,then shipped from Netherlands to your country with postNL.
    http://cs.dx.com/FAQ/Detail/402
    As your this order did NOT buy taxes service.(Typically,customer should cover the full taxes fee if did not buy taxes service.)
    If you will be charged custom tax (we are not sure ) , and the taxes is very high,and you do not want the package,then pls refuse it and let the customs return the package to us,thanks a lot.
    Looking forward to your kind reply.
    Yours Sincerely,
    Mona

warm tips: pls kindly close the paypal dispute,we will try our best to provide you with solutions to solve your problem.thanks for your understanding.

I won't be closing the paypal dispute, as that is what seems to have encouraged them to reply to me.
    I have only 4 days before it's a month, and then I may have no recourse.

I also went through the motions of reordering the phone, and there is no option to add “Import Tax & VAT Insurance” to your order,then DX will cover taxes fee for you ."

If there had been, I would have almost certainly not gone through with the order, as it would have put it too expensive.
    DX are well aware that people assume the high price already includes VAT. (I did choose insurance).
    The Redmi note 2 Prime (32GB) is available for €150 on Gearbest, Banggood, aliexpress and many other sites.
    I could order from there, pay the Vat and it would still be cheaper than these.

Avoid DX at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Allyall wrote: »
    As expected, they told me to refuse it at the door.
    It still hasn't arrived and I still haven't heard from anyone that has refused it.
    I presume I won't get hit with a bill from Revenue for handling?

I won't be closing the paypal dispute, as that is what seems to have encouraged them to reply to me.
    I have only 4 days before it's a month, and then I may have no recourse.

I also went through the motions of reordering the phone, and there is no option to add “Import Tax & VAT Insurance” to your order,then DX will cover taxes fee for you ."

If there had been, I would have almost certainly not gone through with the order, as it would have put it too expensive.
    DX are well aware that people assume the high price already includes VAT. (I did choose insurance).
    The Redmi note 2 Prime (32GB) is available for €150 on Gearbest, Banggood, aliexpress and many other sites.
    I could order from there, pay the Vat and it would still be cheaper than these.

Avoid DX at all costs.

Avoid Gearbest too, it won't end well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

JonnyM wrote: »
    anyone interested inmy brand new never used Meizu MX5??

Link here http://www.adverts.ie/other-mobiles/32gb-meizu-mx-5-silver-black-dual-sim/8973017

Good luck with the offers :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Received my Xiaomi Mi4C on Friday after a three week wait from Oppomart. Got here in the end with no problems via customs as I paid extra for the "no VAT" shipping. Moving over to this from another 5 inch phone, the THL5000. Basically I can't handle big phones as my hands are smaller than the late Jeremy Beedles.

The phone came with Google apps installed but also a hell of a lot of spam. Presume that was via Oppomart. Specifically pop up ads which would appear every few minutes when looking at stuff via the interweb. Flashing the original MIU7 rom is straightforward though and it removed all of that lark. Reinstalling Google apps is simple enough too.

Overall I'm very pleased with the phone. It's very light, fast and easily capable of handling the normal day to day stuff as well as games. MIU7 is actually a lot better than I thought. There's no menu button but you get used to that fairly quickly.

Camera is decent but not amazing. As ever, I find that as soon as you take a few pictures in low light conditions they look far from brilliant. Normal outdoor shots look very good though.

Battery is surprisingly decent. Was easy to get two days use out of my old THL5000. You could easily get a days heavy use out of this. Maybe a day and a half if you don't use it very often.

Total price delivered was $268.99 for the 3GB, 32GB version at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Being considering the Xiaomi Mi4c myself, thanks for the little review Mezcita.

Anyone bought from Everbuying before?

http://www.everbuying.net/product1101666.html

GBX wrote: »
    I have the same phone Franco. Which version of Lollipop do you have? I am on TF Xtreme. Charging is not quick on it but I'm used to this now.

I'm on the official lollipop beta 10, I downloaded of the german site, and it just feels better than the xtreme in my opinion,wish the camera was optimised better, how's the 21 megapixel on your ROm?

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Being considering the Xiaomi Mi4c myself, thanks for the little review Mezcita.

Anyone bought from Everbuying before?

I've heard that they ship out toooooo slowly, and that if don't have stock, they'll say that they do but will tell you the truth after a couple of days if you email them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭horse7

Avoid Gearbest too, it won't end well

Defo,avoid gearbest.

Anyone have experience to share about COOLICOOL PLEASE OR EFOXSHOP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Anyone have experience to share about COOLICOOL PLEASE OR EFOXSHOP

Coolicool are grand, tbh you will always find a negative review for any seller, I like etotalk but others dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delph09

Anyone know the new model of THL - THL T6C which only goes for $59.99 now, THL still inherits their advantage like low price, it has been a long time since their last model, and T6C is almost the same like T6S.

TinyDeal ($59.99) http://www.tinydeal.com/thl-t6c-5-ips-mtk6580-quad-core-android-51-3g-phone-px3164b-p-156646.html

Dealextreme($65.70) http://www.dx.com/p/presale-thl-t6c-android-5-1-quad-core-bar-phone-w-5-0-ips-1gb-ram-8gb-rom-8-0-5-0mp-white-412529#.VinmS_mqpBc

delph09 wrote: »
    Anyone know the new model of THL - THL T6C which only goes for $59.99 now, THL still inherits their advantage like low price, it has been a long time since their last model, and T6C is almost the same like T6S.

TinyDeal ($59.99) http://www.tinydeal.com/thl-t6c-5-ips-mtk6580-quad-core-android-51-3g-phone-px3164b-p-156646.html

Dealextreme($65.70) http://www.dx.com/p/presale-thl-t6c-android-5-1-quad-core-bar-phone-w-5-0-ips-1gb-ram-8gb-rom-8-0-5-0mp-white-412529#.VinmS_mqpBc

I can tell you now, that they are terrible phones, wait until the 28th and there will be a flash sale of umi phones, like the umi emax, emax mini and umi iron at 80 euro, very good prices.just google umi iron flash sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I wish the Umi Emax had a good camera.

I have the Landvo L200 and it seems to have the same crappy camera performance as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Buying the Doogee valencia2 pro, wonder if anyone can give me any advice on it?

I've already discovered that the battery and camera are a lie, anything else I should know?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement