Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

cocon wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm thinking of buying the Xiaomi Mi4 or Xiaomi Mi4C from Amazon. Apologies but I can't post URLs because I'm a new user to boards.

Was planning to get it shipped from the UK with ParcelMotel. Anyone any experience of these phones. Also will these phones work on the Irish 3G / 4G Network.

Thanks

Here you go. Got the Mi4C last week and haven't had any problems so far.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97462318&postcount=1643

Haven't tried 4G on it yet as I'm with 48. It uses the 1800mhz band for 4G so should be ok for Vodafone, 3 and Meteor.

Feel free to send on any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Any recommendations on a phone for the auld lad for xmas. It would be his first smartphone so doesn't have to be that flash. A good camera would be desirable though. Also screen size about the same as iPhone 6. Budget is up to €150 incl customs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

You could get him the Lenovo K3 Note or the Meizu M2 Note, both of which can be bought for less than €150 within the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭Raoul

The UMI Iron are on sale today. Not many of them about though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Raoul wrote: »
    The UMI Iron are on sale today. Not many of them about though.
    Saw somewhere that it was only 5 at the reduced price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭Raoul

I think it is different on different websites. But there will be like a few at various times. It is all very vague and a lot of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cocon

Mezcita wrote: »
    Here you go. Got the Mi4C last week and haven't had any problems so far.

Haven't tried 4G on it yet as I'm with 48. It uses the 1800mhz band for 4G so should be ok for Vodafone, 3 and Meteor.

Feel free to send on any questions.

Thanks for the reply and the link Mezcita. Will check out Oppomart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Allyall wrote: »
    You could get him the Lenovo K3 Note or the Meizu M2 Note, both of which can be bought for less than €150 within the EU.

Thanks for the reply. Could you point to a website that sells these?

Would there be any decent phones with a smaller screen size?

On one hand I think the bigger screen would be good for him and he doesn't have the best eye sight and on the other hand I think it would be physically too big for him and he wouldn't like it. He has been using a tiny nokia for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

cocon wrote:
    I'm thinking of buying the Xiaomi Mi4 or Xiaomi Mi4C from Amazon. Apologies but I can't post URLs because I'm a new user to boards.

I had a Mi4. Fragile phone, had the screen break when dropped from 2 feet while it was in a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delph09

Any recommendations on a phone for the auld lad for xmas. It would be his first smartphone so doesn't have to be that flash. A good camera would be desirable though. Also screen size about the same as iPhone 6. Budget is up to €150 incl customs.

The size of iPhone 6 is 4.7 inch, so if you want to buy the same size like iPhone 6, you will not have many choices, and most their camera only come with 8 Mega pixel. If you don't mind 8MP camera, I can recommend you some like Xiaomi Redmi 2 or Redmi 2A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

http://www.gizchina.com/2015/10/27/letv-le-1s-launch/

Finally!
    Wish they had went for a smaller size but I think I will cave and buy this
    By the way we're making a smartcar aswell! :D

Jayop wrote: »
    I think I'm going to go for the OnePlus2 on Friday. It's €400 and I know I'd get a serious China phone for that but I'm a big pussy.
    The OnePlus X looks stunning and is only €269, same processor as before but they claim to have tweaked it so its as good as or better than current gen in the benchmarks:

https://oneplus.net/ie/x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thargor wrote: »
    The OnePlus X looks stunning and is only €269, same processor as before but they claim to have tweaked it so its as good as or better than current gen in the benchmarks:

https://oneplus.net/ie/x

Thats great value ! Maybe my next phone.

Same for me, seeing as Ive paid >€120 fixing broken screens on my OnePlus now if Id known this was coming I probably would have just fixed the screen the first time and sold it then bought this with the money...

OPO still a great phone though, was using my brothers new Samsung Note at the weekend just reading BBC news and the battery level was falling 1% every 60 seconds or so, my OPO is getting on a bit and its still many times better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Thanks for the reply. Could you point to a website that sells these?

Would there be any decent phones with a smaller screen size?

On one hand I think the bigger screen would be good for him and he doesn't have the best eye sight and on the other hand I think it would be physically too big for him and he wouldn't like it. He has been using a tiny nokia for years now.

Personally, I'd get him the smaller size, and then maybe move up in a year or so. Especially if he's moving from an old Nokia or something.

Some stores that provide EU delivery
    http://www.hongkongeek.com/en/
    http://www.coolicool.com/
    http://www.efox-shop.com/
    http://www.oppomart.com/
    http://www.geekvida.com/
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/18182325

These have a smaller screen, still pretty big though (5 inches) and a decent price.
    Ulefone Paris - I'm not sure what it's battery is like though, maybe someone here has it and can comment.
    Meizu M2
    Asus ZenFone 5 A500KL

It maybe worth going even smaller again as that would still be quite big.
    4-5 inches should be decent enough size for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

GBX wrote: »
    Thats great value ! Maybe my next phone.

Yeah I was going to jump on the OP2 but it's costing me 420 delivered. The OPX is probably going to be 290. €130 cheaper but the specs have a big drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭beecee

Yeah I was going to jump on the OP2 but it's costing me 420 delivered. The OPX is probably going to be 290. €130 cheaper but the specs have a big drop.

Is that extra €20 for delivery?

beecee wrote: »
    Is that extra €20 for delivery?

Yeah. It's 20 to deliver the OP2 so I assume it's the same for the OPX.

If you get it delivered to NI it's free so that's an option to save €20 if you know anyone up there and will be travelling up anyway. It's probably going to be delivered there quicker too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Yeah. It's 20 to deliver the OP2 so I assume it's the same for the OPX.

If you get it delivered to NI it's free so that's an option to save €20 if you know anyone up there and will be travelling up anyway. It's probably going to be delivered there quicker too.

You could use Parcel Motel they have a NI address

• Advertisement

NATLOR wrote: »
    You could use Parcel Motel they have a NI address

I've heard of that but never looked into it. Don't you have to then pay them to deliver the item to you?

I'm from the North anyway so I could have it dropped to friends or family up there but I'll just stump up the €20 delivery to Ireland.

I've heard of that but never looked into it. Don't you have to then pay them to deliver the item to you?

I'm from the North anyway so I could have it dropped to friends or family up there but I'll just stump up the €20 delivery to Ireland.

Its currently €3.95 for delivery to a locker of your choice in ROI great service use it regularly

Specs are a big drop but it will still chew through anything no bother, as long as they didnt drop the 3GB RAM. Dont like that they knocked the battery back to 2500 though but thats probably because they took off .5 Inches from the OPO, 5.5 vs 5.0/

According to Device Specifications:

3gb Ram 993Mhz

http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/35eb37a8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭horse7

Gearbest have just offered me a refund of 35$ on a dead 135$ phone. What a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

horse7 wrote: »
    Gearbest have just offered me a refund of 35$ on a dead 135$ phone. What a deal.

Keep arguing with them and you will get a bit more. Get above 70, take it and never use Gearbest again. Tell everyone you know, post in every forum you find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭horse7

Are PayPal any use in getting money back from gearbest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

If something is stopped by customs how do they notify you?
    I tracked the package(UMI emax) and it arrived in Ireland yesterday at 08.30 but I've heard nothing since. I would have thought it would be delivered today. I'm getting it sent to Parcel Motel.

It might take a day or two.
    Just because its landed in Ireland it doesnt just go on a van. It gets sorted - checked by customs etc. - which can take a couple of days depending how busy they are.

• Advertisement

Casey78 wrote: »
    If something is stopped by customs how do they notify you?
    I tracked the package(UMI emax) and it arrived in Ireland yesterday at 08.30 but I've heard nothing since. I would have thought it would be delivered today. I'm getting it sent to Parcel Motel.

If customs have it and duty is owed Parcel Motel will refuse it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement