Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Franco Mario

LIVERPOOL1981 . Can you describe the camera quality and the audio on your letv, how does the camera compare against more expensive flagships? I just want to know as I will be getting one soooon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Liverpool1981

LIVERPOOL1981 . Can you describe the camera quality and the audio on your letv, how does the camera compare against more expensive flagships? I just want to know as I will be getting one soooon.....

Hi mate, to be honest most of my time has been spent trying to get rid of the mass amounts of Chinese bloatware & disabling random Chinese notifications. I've only had it a few days and have yet to put a sim card in it, so I can't comment on the quality of volume/clarity on calls. The volume for videos is ok, bit grainy. The camera IMO is quite good, very responsive. Haven't taken any pics in natural light outdoors yet though.

My issues lie with it being an absolute nightmare to root. Even with changing keyboard, language, apps, turning off notifications etc there are chinese words random peppered around the phone menus & some bloatware apps cannot be uninstalled.

At a glance the phone itself seems excellent but if i'm being honest I would really need to have a good feel around and sort out the rom before I would recommend anyone spend a few hundred quid on it. If you are looking to ROM, I would go for something else from my experience. I think I would have better luck learning Chinese as oppose to successfully roming it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

If anybody has the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 (Prime preferably) would they mind letting me know what the battery life is like on the phone. I'm a little bit worried that the ~3000 mAh battery won't last long given the CPU in the phone.

If the battery life isn't great I think I'd be better off going for the Redmi Note 3 given the fact that it has a 4000mAh battery, but unfortunately the Note 3 lacks support for expandable memory, so it's a bit of a toss up.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Hey guys, quick question. Looking to get a phone for the gf. She had heart set on iphone 6s and was gonna get it on bill and i pay the handset cost but decided she couldnt afford the monthly bill.

I never got chinese phone before and read hear about rooting and all that malarky. Looking at the xiaomi mi4. Can get it for 255 from here (european seller with 1 year warranty it seems) https://www.xiaomiforsale.com/en/phones/29-xiaomi-mi4.html

Dont really fancy rooting it or messing around with it at all. Is this a good phone and worth it? From what I have gathered it is the best brand in the chinese phone world? I have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

do not go near that site.

I've never heard of it, nor heard it mentioned here.

buy from a trusted seller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

RossieMan wrote: »
    do not go near that site.

I've never heard of it, nor heard it mentioned here.

buy from a trusted seller.

Cheers Rossie, I saw it mentioned on a different forum. Gonna look at some of the sites in the first post so. What you think or know of the mi4? Is there a better alternative for the same price?

EDIT: the redmi not 3 looks really really nice. Like a iphone 6s plus. Any thought on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

richy wrote: »
    Cheers Rossie, I saw it mentioned on a different forum. Gonna look at some of the sites in the first post so. What you think or know of the mi4? Is there a better alternative for the same price?

The Mi4C is a better bet. Mi4 suffered from overheating issues from what I read about it. I bought the Mi4C from Oppomart and it's a great phone for the price. No tax if you pick the "expedited shipping" option as they route it through France.

You'll need to install a clean version of the rom as it comes with bloatware though. Various guides on YouTube if you decide to get it.

One plus x. If you like the look of the iPhone, this is the one to go for. Around 280-300 delivered though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

richy wrote: »
    Hey guys, quick question. Looking to get a phone for the gf. She had heart set on iphone 6s and was gonna get it on bill and i pay the handset cost but decided she couldnt afford the monthly bill.

I never got chinese phone before and read hear about rooting and all that malarky. Looking at the xiaomi mi4. Can get it for 255 from here (european seller with 1 year warranty it seems) https://www.xiaomiforsale.com/en/phones/29-xiaomi-mi4.html

Dont really fancy rooting it or messing around with it at all. Is this a good phone and worth it? From what I have gathered it is the best brand in the chinese phone world? I have

As Rossie said, avoid them. Don't know who they are and have hidden their company details with their domain provider.

Use one of the companies listed on post 1_of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭galway1973

I want to get a phone for my wife with a decent camera.I have an elephone p 3000s 2gb version my self and am very happy with it.I am looking at either an elephone p7000 or ulefone be touch 2 for her .has anyone got any experience with either of these or any other suggestions.thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Aspiring wrote: »
    If anybody has the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 (Prime preferably) would they mind letting me know what the battery life is like on the phone. I'm a little bit worried that the ~3000 mAh battery won't last long given the CPU in the phone.

If the battery life isn't great I think I'd be better off going for the Redmi Note 3 given the fact that it has a 4000mAh battery, but unfortunately the Note 3 lacks support for expandable memory, so it's a bit of a toss up.

Moderate use two days no problem,but I have dialed back the cpu to 1400mhz as well

richy wrote:
    I never got chinese phone before and read hear about rooting and all that malarky. Looking at the xiaomi mi4. Can get it for 255 from here (european seller with 1 year warranty it seems)

richy wrote:

Get her a xiaomi mi4 or the mi4c at giztop or gizchina shop. BUT DONT GET THE MI4I. As the "i" edition is crapppppp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Thinking of getting the redmi 3. How are these phones for rooting and puttng on an asop rom? Dont really fancy using miui

bush wrote: »
    Thinking of getting the redmi 3. How are these phones for rooting and puttng on an asop rom? Dont really fancy using miui

The redmi note 2 was easy enough but battery life is crap on AOSP roms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Alright thanks I think ill still get the phone since its such a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Contacted oppomart about xiaomi redmi note 3. Will be back on sale in one week's time

Hey guys, do DHL open up phones in gift packages? Its something i got etotalk to do for me once and i didnt get taxed by them, just wondering if it's changed or anything?

Yes they do, they aren't stupid.

It makes no difference. There is no way around customs with dhl or any major courier provider. Snail mail has the lowest detection rate.

Buy from a seller with an EU warehouse,no customs charges within the EU

RossieMan wrote:
    It makes no difference. There is no way around customs with dhl or any major courier provider. Snail mail has the lowest detection rate.

Ok then, its just in January, i got a lower price declared, wrapped up in a gift package, and it worked, so it work again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭horse7

Ok then, its just in January, i got a lower price declared, wrapped up in a gift package, and it worked, so it work again?

You think customs don't read these posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

horse7 wrote: »
    You think customs don't read these posts?

HOWYA LADS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

The invite system is being removed for the OnePlus Two permanently starting on the 5th of December. The X will be available to purchase freely between the 5th and 7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Anyone here have a Xiaomi Mi4? Looking at getting one and saw a comment earlier about the Mi4i being crap. Is the Mi4c much different from the Mi4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone spot a Redmi Note 3 either in an EU warehouse or from China but with duty paid and shipping with DHL? Looking for one but really need it for Christmas and this looks like the only way I will get it

Anyone spot a Redmi Note 3 either in an EU warehouse or from China but with duty paid and shipping with DHL? Looking for one but really need it for Christmas and this looks like the only way I will get it

Have been looking at Oppomart as they do expedited delivery
    EU Expedited Shipping (8 - 12 days Europe)
    We can ship phones by Europe Expedited shipping: this special expedited shipping with tracking number, the shipping option is depending on your location, we recommend this shipping option for Europe buyers, it's a smooth shipping process, there is no customs tax and VAT fees.
    * For Europe buyers, this is best shipping option to avoid customs importing tax and save VAT on the goods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Have been looking at Oppomart as they do expedited delivery

Thanks, do Oppomart genuinely pay the VAT or is it a bit like EUDx where they take a chance it seems?

Thanks, do Oppomart genuinely pay the VAT or is it a bit like EUDx where they take a chance it seems?

Mezcita wrote: »
    I bought the Mi4C from Oppomart and it's a great phone for the price. No tax if you pick the "expedited shipping" option as they route it through France.

Looking to get Note 3 also, contacted Oppomart and they said it should be back on sale in the next few days. There must be limited stock so I'd say keep an eye on the site

Colemania wrote:
    Anyone here have a Xiaomi Mi4? Looking at getting one and saw a comment earlier about the Mi4i being crap. Is the Mi4c much different from the Mi4?

Colemania wrote:

The mi4i, has a snapdragon 615 cpu, the audio and camera is great, but the device heats up constantly, just from going on it, and heating means damaging your motherboard and battery. But the mi4c has a snapdragon 808, better, faster, and newer.

• Advertisement

Xiaomi redmi note 3 back in stock on oppomart
    32gb worked out at €226 but was charged 239 in bank even though I wasn't using PayPal currency conversion . Next time will use revolut card

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement