Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

LOL, I just thought I'd post to say my Redmi 2 got a real life over the air OS update! Shocked I was! What is this, an iPhone?!?! :)
    (great phone, but the camera focus is duff so I'm replacing DIY, think it's a bad part)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    LOL, I just thought I'd post to say my Redmi 2 got a real life over the air OS update! Shocked I was! What is this, an iPhone?!?! :)
    (great phone, but the camera focus is duff so I'm replacing DIY, think it's a bad part)

I've had about 6 now lol
    Haven't noticed any major improvement's mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delph09

Dan_Solo wrote: »

how does its performance under the air OS?

Páid wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a phone that is waterproof/resistant for about €150 ?

i think cubot x10 or cubot x11 is your good choice, if you don't want some waterproof phones with ugly design.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/CUBOT-X10-5-5inch-MTK6592M-1-4GHz-Octa-Core-Android-4-4-2GB-16GB-IP65-Waterproof-Smartphone-IPS-OGS-HD-13MP-8MP---Black-343564.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Contacted paypal an hour later I got my refund, so much for 3-7 working days, cowboys is all they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Contacted paypal an hour later I got my refund, so much for 3-7 working days, cowboys is all they are.

2 lads in work thinking about ordering them, will see if they do and how they get on!!

eamonnq wrote: »
    2 lads in work thinking about ordering them, will see if they do and how they get on!!

Should have listened to allyall but you live and learn......after buying the oneplus I seen another phone that I wanted before but forgot....might sell to buy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭90sBla

I've just put in an order for the ulefone power. Will be selling my nubia z9 mini when it arrives. I've been in this position before and will probably be waiting a while on this pre order. It says shipping from Jan 22!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Should have listened to allyall but you live and learn......after buying the oneplus I seen another phone that I wanted before but forgot....might sell to buy :D

I would have waited and let them ship!! :P

eamonnq wrote: »
    I would have waited and let them ship!! :P

Reading up on them put me off.

• Advertisement

Redmi note 3 ordered :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Redmi note 3 ordered :)

Happy days. Still trying to decide between the Note 2 and Note 3 myself...quite like the removable battery and sd slot on the Note 2. Where'd you order from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

Happy days. Still trying to decide between the Note 2 and Note 3 myself...quite like the removable battery and sd slot on the Note 2. Where'd you order from?

mine is up on adverts now $215, (DHL cost me $14 and they cost me VAT of €32)its white/silver i paid an extra $8 for this model over the grey one.
    Used in for a couple of days, the fingerprint is very good once you start using fingerprint you wont go back..i recommend this phone over the note2. It is one touch very fast..as in you dont have to press it first like iphone fingerprint,
    You wont need the removable battery as the 4000mAh last 1 and a half days and thats with constant facebook and music to a bluetooth speaker at Christmas the 2 days i did use it and a couple of hours of hearthstone game too.

if i was you id take my device in adverts ) or look to youtube for comparison videos of the note 3 vs LeTV s1.
    Maybe try a MiUi Rom on your own android first to see how you like the UI of Xiaomi before you buy. I have no experience of the Letv Rom, but id say its full of chinese apps for Letv service that you cant uninstall and dont need.

Etotalk, I went for the note 3 as the battery on the note 2 is supposed to be shocking.

bigmike99 wrote: »
    mine is up on adverts now $215, (DHL cost me $14 and they cost me VAT of €32)its white/silver i paid an extra $8 for this model over the grey one.
    Used in for a couple of days, the fingerprint is very good once you start using fingerprint you wont go back..i recommend this phone over the note2. It is one touch very fast..as in you dont have to press it first like iphone fingerprint,
    You wont need the removable battery as the 4000mAh last 1 and a half days and thats with constant facebook and music to a bluetooth speaker at Christmas the 2 days i did use it and a couple of hours of hearthstone game too.

if i was you id take my device in adverts ) or look to youtube for comparison videos of the note 3 vs LeTV s1.
    Maybe try a MiUi Rom on your own android first to see how you like the UI of Xiaomi before you buy. I have no experience of the Letv Rom, but id say its full of chinese apps for Letv service that you cant uninstall and dont need.

Why are you selling it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

delph09 wrote: »
    how does its performance under the air OS?
    It shipped with MiUI 6, I updated to MIUI 7 from the SD card and then the 7.1 arrived OTA. Loving MIUI so much I'm not even going to bother with a custom ROM. Only annoyance is no rotation for homescreen and some of the built in apps. Play store apps all rotate as normal. Regularly make a third day without a recharge.
    Not top of the range, but I like the 4.7 inch size and Gorilla glass. Supposed to be 4G but I think I might need a new SIM for that? The one I have is about 15 years old...

Why are you selling it.

Person I bought it for as a Christmas present got an iphone6 instead :/ so i had to buy them something else ffs. Was going to use it myself but for now my Umi does me fine.
    tempted to keep for the fingerprint scanner though, but think if i get a sale ill buy a Mipad 2 instead..i need that more than a new phone.

Check out the Ulephone POWER presale
    6000mAh battery. and fingerprint. battery is supposedly Sony.
    Add that to ur list wih the Letv 1s to compare to Note 3. But prob wont get it until March and better off waiting for review first before buying even if you miss out on the $20 off presale price. Didnt Ulefone lie about camera and battery size in the past? id wait off for reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

bigmike99 wrote: »

Have had a look at your ad, but to be honest, if I was buying the Note 3 I'd have to get the 32gb version. Thanks anyway though.

Etotalk already about to send my phone out Im in shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

Had a Chinese import up until recently, dropped and cracked, it was good alright. Had a larger screen(5") than the Samsung I bought to replace it. The downside to the imports is they're not a standard consumer brand - so if you need almost any help from a phone shop, or if you need simple things like a cover you'll be met with a 'sorry dont know' 'we only do xyz mainstream brands'.
    Still miss the 5" screen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Now looking at the elephone p9000 going into presale on 15.1 at a very good price with the 5$ code 50 $ off offer. I am aware of the build quality issues elephone had in the past but it looks like they are working on those. Also encouraging is that they now have several eu repair and warranty centres in Germany, UK etc. And specs are drool worthy, lol.

Had a Chinese import up until recently, dropped and cracked, it was good alright. Had a larger screen(5") than the Samsung I bought to replace it. The downside to the imports is they're not a standard consumer brand - so if you need almost any help from a phone shop, or if you need simple things like a cover you'll be met with a 'sorry dont know' 'we only do xyz mainstream brands'.
    Still miss the 5" screen though.

You can get replacement parts easily online and the shops can then fix them, they just dont have the parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You can get replacement parts easily online and the shops can then fix them, they just dont have the parts.

Some shops, depends on insurance I believe. Took me several shops the find someone the even look at a Mi3, several more the find one that would fix it

Some shops, depends on insurance I believe. Took me several shops the find someone the even look at a Mi3, several more the find one that would fix it

I just tell them I wont hold them responsible, works everytime

morgana wrote: »
    Now looking at the elephone p9000 going into presale on 15.1 at a very good price with the 5$ code 50 $ off offer. I am aware of the build quality issues elephone had in the past but it looks like they are working on those. Also encouraging is that they now have several eu repair and warranty centres in Germany, UK etc. And specs are drool worthy, lol.

nothing exciting for me.
    not really drool worthy I expect many models will be out soon with 4GB Ram at the $250 mark(you get p900 for 230 -50 coupon?) and being elephone i mightnt be ready until March.
    Crazy company banging out too many models too close together and never quite hitting the mark. I must look up the vowney 7000 or 8000 reviews that looks the best of them.

Anyway this model states a 20mp camera, possibly interpolated from 16mp lense? maybe not though, hopefully they have stopped with that bull****.
    This camera doesnt have a dual flash even, If they are pushing it as their best camera phone wih no dual flash thats abit of a fail.
    The SOC is same as on many of the new sub$200 phones.
    most likely a long wait for an upgrade to android 6. EDIT it says 5.1 some places and Marshmallow 6 on same page!

So many alternatives that come with fast fingerprint unlock and faster charge maybe.
    But 50quid off and the option of having warranty fixes done in EU is great to put mind as rest if people doubt the build quaity of elephone.

The Ulephone Power is a nice spec device for presale 179. this is the one that has me excited, 6000mAh with super fast charge! and I must have fingerprint unlock and app locks.
    ============================================

CES is running this week in Vegas, any new devices launched that have people excited? share them here, or many create a thread for it, though it finished today i think.
    I actually havnt read anything about whats coming up this year, apart from facebook newsfeed of a couple of kickstarter phones and that Ulephone one.
    And iphone romour of type c headphone jack and ditching 3.5 cable jack. which must be BS?

I expected to see many more phones with fingerprint last year but that didnt catch on til the end of the year, its a must for me now on a phone so much easier than a code when walking around to read a message.

And wireless charge never caught on much? Id say there will be a lot more "china phones" with wireless charge this year.
    Devices seem to be ditching NFC chips in their budget models too. another thing that never caught on apart from "party speakers" Google pay is a fail and will never catch on?
    Id say its going to be the year of big battery phones for china, people are going bigger screens and bigger battery and dont seem to mind having a chunkier device over a slim sleek model.
    should be a few 6" reviels from the bigger companies at CES, Im gonna have a check there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Hey guys just wanted to recommend the Lenovo ZUK Z1 if anyone is look for a phone. It is around 290 (I got it for 270)with free delivery from Germany with the company I bought with. Was recommended to me on boards

Seriously suprised how good it is. Got it for the GF. I actually think I prefer it to my HTC One M9.

Granted, only have it 2 days but it is pretty sick. Huge battery on it too!

richy wrote: »
    Hey guys just wanted to recommend the Lenovo ZUK Z1 if anyone is look for a phone. It is around 290 (I got it for 270)with free delivery from Germany with the company I bought with. Was recommended to me on boards

Seriously suprised how good it is. Got it for the GF. I actually think I prefer it to my HTC One M9.

Granted, only have it 2 days but it is pretty sick. Huge battery on it too!

how about its camera performance and ZUI?

morgana wrote: »

Have you pay for that offer? The 5$ code 50$ off offer shows that it has more than 7000 backers now, don't know it's true or not, but the specs of p9000 are really attractive, I will wait for some review of it later before I decide to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

delph09 wrote: »
    how about its camera performance and ZUI?

What you mean ZUI? Well I havent tested the camera really. I took one picture in a very dark room with flash on and the quality was very good. Not sure in daylight. Havent really used it much as GF been at work last 2 days alot.

EDIT: If you mean zoom and stuff seems really good. 64gb storage too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Hi, just have a quick question relating to an original Xiaomi RedMi note (3G). I am am getting the following message when I enter the gallery "not enough storage"

I'm also having issues installing new apps. I can see the microSD card is not available or being used. I checked the card on my laptop and it work fine.

Anyone seen this issue and know of a solution.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement