Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Just Ordered the redmi note 2 32gb grey from gearbest eu :-) exited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭horse7

peaceboi wrote: »
    Just Ordered the redmi note 2 32gb grey from gearbest eu :-) exited

Wouldn't get your hopes up dealing with gearbest,probably the worst seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I have ordered from Gearbest on a few occasions, I know there was the problem with shilling - maybe I'm lucky - but never had a single issue :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

There was a problem with shilling here. It's still going on everywhere else. Hukd, youtube etc. You can't trust 1 review that mentions their name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

RossieMan wrote: »
    There was a problem with shilling here. It's still going on everywhere else. Hukd, youtube etc. You can't trust 1 review that mentions their name.

Any sign of your tablet yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Hi Guys,

Bought a Redmi Note 2 from aliexpress and the seller rooted the phone to get rid of chinese bloatware and to install the google play store.

I ran AVG anti-virus on it and it alerted me that an app called kingroot is malware. I understand that this app was used to root the phone.

My question is, if I uninstall this app, Kingroot, will my phone still work or do I have to leave it on the phone?

Thanks

iba wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Bought a Redmi Note 2 from aliexpress and the seller rooted the phone to get rid of chinese bloatware and to install the google play store.

I ran AVG anti-virus on it and it alerted me that an app called kingroot is malware. I understand that this app was used to root the phone.

My question is, if I uninstall this app, Kingroot, will my phone still work or do I have to leave it on the phone?

Thanks

If your phone is still running MIUI then you dont need any root program,all MIUI roms have root built in,you just need to enable it,

Its in Tools folder-security-permissions iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

Any reccomendations for a phone that is just as good or better than the iPhone 6? An excellent camera and a fast phone that can run all the main social media apps seamlessly is what's important to me. I love iPhone and have never had an android smartphone, and can't decide whether to try out one of these phones or not. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Nokia 3310?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

horse7 wrote: »
    Wouldn't get your hopes up dealing with gearbest,probably the worst seller.
    GBX wrote: »
    I have ordered from Gearbest on a few occasions, I know there was the problem with shilling - maybe I'm lucky - but never had a single issue :confused:

Shilling isn't the only problem with them. When buying from Gearbest, even if the item arrives dead (DOA), you will be lucky to get a voucher from them for 50% of the value of the item.
    It's all in their t&c.
    You will have a choice. Ship it back to them and pay for shipping or take a gearbest voucher for 50% of the item value.
    Shipping to China can be expensive unless you are creative with the packaging.
    But it also takes ages to get it all sorted even after they get the item back.

It is doable, but it's a sh*tload of hassle that you shouldn't have to go through.
    I avoid any store owned by Shenzhen Globalegrow E-Commerce who own them, as they have terrible policies, and try to abuse loopholes in EU Law and in Paypal. It can be like getting blood from a stone, but the worst part is the frustration when dealing with them.
    (on a side note, their trademark was refused ;))

You're way better off wading through the cr*p on Aliexpress. You are more protected. A lot/most of the sellers are College students abusing the prices that Westerners will pay, but you can dig deeper and find decent prices.

The reason I came here is because of this:

Xiaomi Sale Starts Tomorrow on Aliexpress

The Xiaomi Note 2 is a great price at €110 (TDD Version)

Install this version Rom (You can get all the links here but it is a French Forum Use Google Chrome or translate)

I think that's a great price - and a known seller.

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    Shilling isn't the only problem with them. When buying from Gearbest, even if the item arrives dead (DOA), you will be lucky to get a voucher from them for 50% of the value of the item.
    It's all in their t&c.
    You will have a choice. Ship it back to them and pay for shipping or take a gearbest voucher for 50% of the item value.
    Shipping to China can be expensive unless you are creative with the packaging.
    But it also takes ages to get it all sorted even after they get the item back.

It is doable, but it's a sh*tload of hassle that you shouldn't have to go through.
    I avoid any store owned by Shenzhen Globalegrow E-Commerce who own them, as they have terrible policies, and try to abuse loopholes in EU Law and in Paypal. It can be like getting blood from a stone, but the worst part is the frustration when dealing with them.
    (on a side note, their trademark was refused ;))

You're way better off wading through the cr*p on Aliexpress. You are more protected. A lot/most of the sellers are College students abusing the prices that Westerners will pay, but you can dig deeper and find decent prices.

Install this version Rom (You can get all the links here but it is a French Forum Use Google Chrome or translate)

It's a brill price. I paid 145 for mine on 11/11/15. The Redmi 3 is just 150 dollar tomorrow too:

http://brands.aliexpress.com/en?spm=2114.11010108.24.1.L0uSAc#g09e29b

wiz569 wrote: »
    If your phone is still running MIUI then you dont need any root program,all MIUI roms have root built in,you just need to enable it,

Its in Tools folder-security-permissions iirc

Thanks for your input.

I've never had a rooted phone before so not very comfortable.

How do I know if my phone is running MIUI? I went to 'About Device' and it says 'MIUI Version - MIUI 7 by xiaomi.eu 5.9.24/Beta' - does this mean it's running MIUI?

In case this helps, Android Version 5.0.2 LRX22G

I do not have a folder in Tools called security/permissions but I do have a security app. So I went in there and I have a tab called 'root access' so I went in there and it says 'no apps have root access'.

Thanks

Thanks for your input.

I've never had a rooted phone before so not very comfortable.

How do I know if my phone is running MIUI? I went to 'About Device' and it says 'MIUI Version - MIUI 7 by xiaomi.eu 5.9.24/Beta' - does this mean it's running MIUI?

In case this helps, Android Version 5.0.2 LRX22G

I do not have a folder in Tools called security/permissions but I do have a security app. So I went in there and I have a tab called 'root access' so I went in there and it says 'no apps have root access'.

Thanks

Yep that's it m8, I can't remember if it automatically prompts you for root access but if an app needs root access you can just enable it from there,

It should list any app that looks for root access in there anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Do you know if these prices are going to be available from sellers with EU warehouses, or just at these prices coming direct from China? What you've linked to isn't a seller in particular is it? Looks like some sort of site-wide discount to me? Thanks.

Also, am I right that all the networks in Ireland are FDD, so the TDD versions wouldn't work here on 4G?

Yep that's it m8, I can't remember if it automatically prompts you for root access but if an app needs root access you can just enable it from there,

It should list any app that looks for root access in there anyway

Thanks

So just to be 100% sure, I can and should delete KingRoot?

Thanks

So just to be 100% sure, I can and should delete KingRoot?

Not if you are going to hold me responsible :eek: lol

I never needed a separate root app on any xiaomi phone I have owned,but i also wouldnt worry about kingroot as by its nature will show up as some kind of malware,it is trying to access system files etc after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Do you know if these prices are going to be available from sellers with EU warehouses, or just at these prices coming direct from China? What you've linked to isn't a seller in particular is it? Looks like some sort of site-wide discount to me? Thanks.

Also, am I right that all the networks in Ireland are FDD, so the TDD versions wouldn't work here on 4G?
    Its one seller, click through on any of the preview links. It doesn't look like they ship via an EU warehouse.

Not if you are going to hold me responsible :eek: lol

I never needed a separate root app on any xiaomi phone I have owned,but i also wouldnt worry about kingroot as by its nature will show up as some kind of malware,it is trying to access system files etc after all

No, I wont hold you responsible - as long as I can fix it after if something goes wrong :)

I read this about Kingroot:

The app reported the device IEMI back to a server in China, which is a very obvious security concern for one thing. There's also the matter of it (a) insisting that its own SU manager is the only choice, and (b) installing other associated apps which then prove difficult to remove.

So thought there is no point keeping it if my phone works without it.

Cheers

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Its one seller, click through on any of the preview links. It doesn't look like they ship via an EU warehouse.

Ah right, my mistake. Prices not so good if gonna get hit by customs.

No, I wont hold you responsible - as long as I can fix it after if something goes wrong :)

I read this about Kingroot:

The app reported the device IEMI back to a server in China, which is a very obvious security concern for one thing. There's also the matter of it (a) insisting that its own SU manager is the only choice, and (b) installing other associated apps which then prove difficult to remove.

So thought there is no point keeping it if my phone works without it.

Cheers

If it was me I would remove it m8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭90sBla

Anyone interested in a nubia z9 mini 2gb ram 16gb plus 16gb micro sd vers with all latest stable running clean rom released this week? Has an amazing camera and audio. Android 6 update is on the way also. I've ordered a new phone with a crazy big battery as I'm a super heavy user and it will be here soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sadesh

i have Xiaomi Mi 4i and thanks for your information

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delph09

redmi 3 has released, didn't see so many special from this video, but still wait for the English review to know more details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that had this issue and resolved it.

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Hi, just have a quick question relating to an original Xiaomi RedMi note (3G). I am am getting the following message when I enter the gallery "not enough storage"

I'm also having issues installing new apps. I can see the microSD card is not available or being used. I checked the card on my laptop and it work fine.

Anyone seen this issue and know of a solution.

Thanks

Ah right, my mistake. Prices not so good if gonna get hit by customs.

True..
    €110 + €25.30 + €7

Unless the seller marks it factory price.

True..
    €110 + €25.30 + €7

Unless the seller marks it factory price.

Can get it for €151.72 from this seller which is recommend on the OP. They claim there is no customs via DHL.

So your price is slightly better, but potentially a wait for China post. If you managed to get it through without getting stung by customs though, the price is very good.

Can get it for €151.72 from this seller which is recommend on the OP. They claim there is no customs via DHL.

So your price is slightly better, but potentially a wait for China post. If you managed to get it through without getting stung by customs though, the price is very good.

I agree, totally.
    €110 isn't that great at all when shipping is from China. I don't know what way I was thinking, but I had something in my head that made me think it was a decent price. :confused:

I agree, totally.
    €110 isn't that great at all when shipping is from China. I don't know what way I was thinking, but I had something in my head that made me think it was a decent price. :confused:

Not to worry...I think the seller I've linked to seems to be quite good...they are mentioned in the OP and one of the best prices I can seem to find for EU shipping. I've not bought anything off them so can't speak from experience.

I'm still trying to decide whether to pull the trigger or not...I've an aging Galaxy S3, that I could do with upgrading. Trying to decide between the Note 2 or Note 3 at this stage...by the time I make a decision the Note 4 will probably be out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I received a Redmi Note 3 and accessories from that seller. There is no customs as they ship it to the UK first and then to you. They communicated very well and I would have to recommend them.

• Advertisement

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I received a Redmi Note 3 and accessories from that seller. There is no customs as they ship it to the UK first and then to you. They communicated very well and I would have to recommend them.

Thanks Kavrocks. Good to know. How are you finding the Note 3 so far? Did you get the 32gb version?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement