Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

I'd be interested in the opinions of anybody who has a Redmi Note 3. Great/excellent looking phone; however when I went to set it up, the "locale" offered did not feature any European countries. Is there any workaround for this? I live in Ireland :rolleyes: but the nearest English speaking option I can get is South Africa and of course that throws out the system time by an hour. God know what a Weather app will show :D. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

wait4me wrote: »
    I'd be interested in the opinions of anybody who has a Redmi Note 3. Great/excellent looking phone; however when I went to set it up, the "locale" offered did not feature any European countries. Is there any workaround for this? I live in Ireland :rolleyes: but the nearest English speaking option I can get is South Africa and of course that throws out the system time by an hour. God know what a Weather app will show :D. Thanks.

Flash the international or multi-language rom from en.miui.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

fixxxer wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the seller? I'd appreciate the help. losing track of all these Chinese sellers at this stage.
    It's the second seller when you search for Redmi Note 3 and the main picture says there is no custom duty in the EU.
    wiz569 wrote: »
    There isn't one...

Kavrocks wrote: »
    It's the second seller when you search for Redmi Note 3 and the main picture says there is no custom duty in the EU.

There isn't one...

This one no good?

http://en.miui.com/thread-194174-1-1.html

or this one

http://www.smiui.net/redminote3_hennessy.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I'm well aware of both but when you say
    most people would go to the website and look for downloads in there they won't find either of your suggestions. My point was there is no official "international" ROM.

Also, SphinX doesn't include any European locales and I'd be surprised if sMIUI does.

• Advertisement

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I'm well aware of both but when you say

most people would go to the website and look for downloads in there they won't find either of your suggestions. My point was there is no official "international" ROM.

Also, SphinX doesn't include any European locales and I'd be surprised if sMIUI does.

Jeez trying to help here,hence the question mark in my post above?

Wont bother in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭horse7

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Getting a 404 on that link

Try again,seems to be working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

When I hear "flash" I suddenly feel old and will definitely pass any suggestions to my younger technician at home :D. Thanks lads (wiz569 and Kavrocks) for the suggestions....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Raoul

eamonnq wrote: »
    What shop was it bought from on Aliexpress ?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1153179

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Raoul wrote: »

App lets me message them no problem here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

shanek248 wrote: »
    NO.

As I say above honorbuy do not install anything that I have ever noticed. It works excellently out of the box.

I never knew some shops do it. The guy talking about gearbest doing it on his is the first I have heard of it but Im not exactly an expert. I've only ever bought from honorbuy.

Sorry to drag up an older post but when you say excellent out of the box does that mean they come with Google Play preinstalled or does it still have ti be sideloaded?

I'm looking at the new Redmi 3 from them (the battery life & sd slot are the big attraction as well as the price) how has delivery been generally from honorbuy, i.e. speed and customs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Raoul

Techmaster wrote: »
    App lets me message them no problem here.

I can message them but they just don't reply to me or reply to aliexpress about it. :mad: Did they reply to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Hey guys been looking into getting a new phone and was about to settle on a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 when I came across this thread, I'm having a hard time finding a chinese phone that does NFC and Gyro for around the 150 euro mark or there abouts, has anyone here got any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys been looking into getting a new phone and was about to settle on a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 when I came across this thread, I'm having a hard time finding a chinese phone that does NFC and Gyro for around the 150 euro mark or there abouts, has anyone here got any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

EJ22 wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

A few that have what you mentioned, The Jiayu S3, Huawei Ascend P7, Lenovo K8 K80m, Xiaomi Mi3 and a few others.

The Jiayu S3 is probably the best option of those.

Allyall wrote: »
    A few that have what you mentioned, The Jiayu S3, Huawei Ascend P7, Lenovo K8 K80m, Xiaomi Mi3 and a few others.

The Jiayu S3 is probably the best option of those.

Brilliant thanks very much, where would be the best place to order from to get it through EU warehouse as avoiding customs would be great

Brilliant thanks very much, where would be the best place to order from to get it through EU warehouse as avoiding customs would be great

I think there are 2 or 3 versions of the Jiayu S3

Jiayu S3
    Jiayu S3 Plus
    Jiayu S3 Advanced

A few places that deliver from Europe or don't charge customs

/Oppomart. com
    /HongKongeek. com
    /Geekbuying. com
    /Geekvida. com (Prices Vary by Country)
    /shop.gizchina. com/eu-direct/
    /Honorbuy. com
    /Coolicool. com
    /Antelife. com
    /efox-shop. com

I think there are 2 or 3 versions of the Jiayu S3

Jiayu S3
    Jiayu S3 Plus
    Jiayu S3 Advanced

A few places that deliver from Europe or don't charge customs

/Oppomart. com
    /HongKongeek. com
    /Geekbuying. com
    /Geekvida. com (Prices Vary by Country)
    /shop.gizchina. com/eu-direct/
    /Honorbuy. com
    /Coolicool. com
    /Antelife. com
    /efox-shop. com

Thanks once again, I found the S3 on Aliexpress for around 150, its the s3 plus, would that have the features i'm looking for as the description on the site isn't the easiest thing to read lol

Link for context: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/JIAYU-S3-FDD-LTE-4G-WCDMA-MT6752-Octa-Core-1-7Ghz-2GB-3G-RAM-5-5/321958_32247923121.html

Maybe there's only two - http://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/jiayu-s3,jiayu-s3-plus

EDIT - I just saw the above post, but that link should have all the details anyway.

Maybe there's only two - http://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/jiayu-s3,jiayu-s3-plus

EDIT - I just saw the above post, but that link should have all the details anyway.

Yep it does! Thank you for all the information, now I just gotta decide whether to take the risk with a chinese phone as I've never done it before against say buying in a shop where I have a warrenty to fall back on

• Advertisement

Yep it does! Thank you for all the information, now I just gotta decide whether to take the risk with a chinese phone as I've never done it before against say buying in a shop where I have a warrenty to fall back on

You must also weigh up that you may be paying for the warranty :)

Jiayu S3 phone for ~ €150

How much would that spec cost in Ireland with warranty?
    Although the Vodafone and the Moto G and a couple of Huawei are close... :p

You must also weigh up that you may be paying for the warranty :)

Jiayu S3 phone for ~ €150

How much would that spec cost in Ireland with warranty?
    Although the Vodafone and the Moto G and a couple of Huawei are close... :p

Thats it, the missus has the vodafone SU6 and i know its great but the lack of gyro is going against me atm as I want to also use the phone as a VR headset. Ah sure i'll have a look around and a think about it :D Thanks once again though for all your help its highly appreciated :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Any links for Xiaomi Redmi 3 from EU warehouse? Can't track you down!

Me?

I haven't looked a lot for it, but seeing as it's on presale at the moment, I'm guessing most places will be roughly the same price.

http://www.oppomart.com/xiaomi/redmi3/xiaomi-redmi-3.html
    (EU Expedited shipping adds €18)

Seems to be the cheapest delivered including VAT (~€136)
    They take ~ 8 days from when it's shipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Get the Redmi Note 3 pro if you can. Arguably better. I got one there last week and although took a while to set up (I've never dealt with a Chinadroid before) but I have it all sorted out now and think it's the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

Get the Redmi Note 3 pro if you can. Arguably better. I got one there last week and although took a while to set up (I've never dealt with a Chinadroid before) but I have it all sorted out now and think it's the business.

What online shop did you purchase from and did you have to pay customs?

The Doogee Kissme DG850 is €39.99 on Amazon France. It works out at €48.09 Delivered.

This phone won't win any awards - 5.5inch screen, Screen Resolution 540 x 960, 1GB RAM, 8GB Storage, Dual Sim, 2G, 3G.
    http://www.doogeemobile.com/doogee-dg580-android-4-4-mtk6582-quad-core-smartphone-1gb-8gb-5-5-inch.html

http://i.imgur.com/OjmSDGs.jpg

For that price it's still a steal. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

1 GB RAM is never a steal though, it'll be barely usable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Am looking at a replacement phone for my mother. I wouldnt have the heart to get her that. She has a Galaxy 3 or 4 with crap battery life. But uses a HTC Nexus tab. That would drive her bananas.

Any other decent deals out there ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement