Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Am looking at a replacement phone for my mother. I wouldnt have the heart to get her that. She has a Galaxy 3 or 4 with crap battery life. But uses a HTC Nexus tab. That would drive her bananas.

Any other decent deals out there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

1GB RAM is plenty for most people. It certainly is a steal at under €50, a pity it's sold out already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

1GB should be plenty, and you could wipe it, install Ubuntu Touch, Firefox OS, try to install Tizen or Sailfish :p

Crud. I hesitated and missed it. €40 delivered in France, you would be mad not to.

Decent offer - not as good.
    http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B017H7OLAI/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

The screen resolution is much more an issue than the 1gm of ram. I've never seen such poor screen resolution pics on a phone that size. It's be fine for a 2 inch screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Smashed my Meizu MX5 last week beyond repair, gutted was not the word. Ordered the Letv one pro, beautiful phone. Got it from the Gizchina shop, ordered Tuesday afternoon and was delivered Thursday morning to parcel motel up north. Hadn't time to do research or wait for one+ invites but knew this was supposed to be a good phone. Couldn't afford to get the MX5 again and nor would I. OS is still riddled with the same bugs since launch. The letv seems to have flakey software too, anyone on here got one? Having problems getting texts over the weekend but think I might have solved it. Still playing and getting used to it but streets ahead of the meizus I've owned and great build quality too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

So has anybody gone for the Redmi Note 3 Pro with the Snapdragon processor? Seeing some places that seem to list it as having an sd card slot in the specs. Would be a major plus if it does. Can anybody confirm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

So has anybody gone for the Redmi Note 3 Pro with the Snapdragon processor? Seeing some places that seem to list it as having an sd card slot in the specs. Would be a major plus if it does. Can anybody confirm?

AFAIK it has a slot for the 2nd sim OR a microsd card, not like some of the other phones, E.G. the Jiayu S3 which can use the 2nd sim slot with both a sim and microsd in it.

EDIT.
    I bought one last week for someone here that had no card/paypal. I only messed about with it for a minute, I just checked, but they're not online at the minute to confirm, but I'm pretty sure that's the setup for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Allyall wrote: »
    AFAIK it has a slot for the 2nd sim OR a microsd card, not like some of the other phones, E.G. the Jiayu S3 which can use the 2nd sim slot with both a sim and microsd in it.

EDIT.
    I bought one last week for someone here that had no card/paypal. I only messed about with it for a minute, I just checked, but they're not online at the minute to confirm, but I'm pretty sure that's the setup for it.

Thanks Allyall. That's what I've read alright, was just hoping someone who'd bought one could confirm. No SD slot was the main reason I was gonna go for the Note 2 rather then the Note 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Hadn't time to do research or wait for one+ invites but knew this was supposed to be a good phone.
    Oneplus don't have any invites for any of their phones anymore and the Oneplus 2 just got a discount!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Anyone here get the Xiaomi Mi4c? Would appreciate any comments on how it's worked out. Between this and the oneplus X. Just read that since it is for the chinese market only that it causes problems this side of the world

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Oneplus don't have any invites for any of their phones anymore and the Oneplus 2 just got a discount!

Didn't realize they dropped the invite system, too late anyway as I have my new phone, 1+2 is a seriously ugly phone and in head to heads I've seen between this and the letv pro, theres very little to choose between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Anyone here get the Xiaomi Mi4c? Would appreciate any comments on how it's worked out. Between this and the oneplus X. Just read that since it is for the chinese market only that it causes problems this side of the world

cheers

Yep. Had it about three months now. Great phone.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97462318&postcount=1643

and

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98172598&postcount=2174

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Mezcita wrote: »

Thanks. Think I've decided to go with Xiaomi mi4c.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delph09

umi touch seems will be another hot phone at the beginning of this year, but the specs are not good enough i think.

http://www.stuff.tv/news/100-phone-youve-never-heard-has-flagship-killing-specs

umi touch seems will be another hot phone at the beginning of this year, but the specs are not good enough i think.

http://www.stuff.tv/news/100-phone-youve-never-heard-has-flagship-killing-specs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

The Redmi Note 3 is a grand phone notwithstanding the locale issue I mentioned about a week ago. I am living with it without the suggested "flash". Bluetooth is now giving me a PIA. Connecting to the car ok (or car connecting to the phone ok) but not accessing my contacts. It's not the car as it used to connect to my contacts in a Redmi 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

My Redmi Note 3 has bluetooth issues too

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kingerae86

im looking to upgrade from my umi iron.
    i was lookin at the oneplus 2.
    anyone have any feedback on them or is there better value for money?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kingerae86

im looking to upgrade from my umi iron.
    i was lookin at the oneplus 2.
    anyone have any feedback on them or is there better value for money?

My Redmi Note 3 has bluetooth issues too

what issue for your bluetooth function? fail to connect or other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

hi guys,

I currently have a htc one m7 and am looking at maybe buying a chinese phone upgrade.... i love the forward boom speakers on the htc one.... are there any chinese phones with anything similar to the sound quality?... i like to basically use mine as a mini stereo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ciaran76

wait4me wrote: »
    The Redmi Note 3 is a grand phone notwithstanding the locale issue I mentioned about a week ago. I am living with it without the suggested "flash". Bluetooth is now giving me a PIA. Connecting to the car ok (or car connecting to the phone ok) but not accessing my contacts. It's not the car as it used to connect to my contacts in a Redmi 2.

Same issue with my contacts on my car.

Where is Locale on the phone, I will check what mine is. I know for the weather I have Swords and Clonee on mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭horse7

Can someone translate previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

My elephone P8 is dying - the screen is flickering and then dropping out. It's hardware as it does this when in recovery. Reseating the screen connector buys another 10 minutes, but the end is nigh.

So, what to replace it with?

Something similar -- €200 ish, EU supplied (in a hurry) and with a decent camera.

What's out there with OIS? NFC? solid bluetooth? 5.5+ screen?

is the JiaYu still good?

Thanks.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Same issue with my contacts on my car.

Where is Locale on the phone, I will check what mine is. I know for the weather I have Swords and Clonee on mine.

Go to settings, additional settings, locale (for me its South Africa as it was the only English speaking option offered). It doesn't seem to affect anything else now though (my weather is Lucan and Ballsbridge). It was screwing up my clock for a while but that seems to have fixed itself (or perhaps I screwed around with it so much that I fixed it). Bluetooth is my major problem though. I cannot dial from the car - I must use the phone to dial; it then connects through the cars's audio system. And it doesn't upload the contacts to the car and so will not recognise an incoming call - it's such a PIA that I'm considering moving back to the Redmi 2.

horse7 wrote: »
    Can someone translate previous post.
    Have a look at posts 2464 to 2471 - might make sense then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I got a Oukitel U8 for my wife last month

It's actually a very nice phone, but yesterday it turned off, and now it's not showing any sign of life

The battery is 'non removable' so my first port of call (removing the battery and putting it back in again) isn't viable

I've left the phone plugged in overnight hoping that it was just a completely dead battery, but there's still no sign of life

(for some stupid reason Oukitel decided to not include a Charging indicator on this model, so i don't even know if it's taking a charge.

I tried it with several different chargers and no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I've already contacted gearbest (yes I know...) about a return but I'd hope to get it working again rather than deal with their customer service.

I've just remembered an old sony mp3 player that shut down and only worked again when it was put in the freezer for a while... Maybe this is worth a try?

Cheers
    David

I wonder is there a hard reset option. I know with a lot of electronics a combination of the volume up and power buttons hard resets the unit. I know that I had a Kindle that you plugged in the power and did a 10 second hold on the power button to get the charger to restart

Akrasia wrote: »
    It's actually a very nice phone, but yesterday it turned off, and now it's not showing any sign of life

The battery is 'non removable' so my first port of call (removing the battery and putting it back in again) isn't viable

I wonder is there a hard reset option. I know with a lot of electronics a combination of the volume up and power buttons hard resets the unit. I know that I had a Kindle that you plugged in the power and did a 10 second hold on the power button to get the charger to restart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Thanks for that. I'll try a bunch of those combos when i get home
    Volume Down + Power
    Volume Down + Volume up + Power seem to be the default options for Android

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement