Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Akrasia wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'll try a bunch of those combos when i get home
    Volume Down + Power
    Volume Down + Volume up + Power seem to be the default options for Android

Be careful when you do this as it may bring you into a recovery menu (probably in Chinese), have you tried connecting the phone to a computer to see if it picks it up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

eamonnq wrote: »
    Be careful when you do this as it may bring you into a recovery menu (probably in Chinese), have you tried connecting the phone to a computer to see if it picks it up ?

I just tried that now and the connected device notfication is going on and off and when I go into device manager it says MT65xx preloader driver is unavailable

That's the chipset that's on the phone so at least part of it is alive

The fact that it's connecting and disconnecting repeatedly looks like it's trying to charge but there's not enough current?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I would leave it connected to the PC for a good while and see if it gets any further than that.

eamonnq wrote: »
    I would leave it connected to the PC for a good while and see if it gets any further than that.

I'll do that so. Thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Was just about to order Xiaomi MI4C but just wondering about 4g bands. Can anyone shed any light on the following. I'm with BT in UK and it has the following bands for 4G-
    4G from BT uses the following network frequencies:
    o 800 MHz (0.8 GHz)
    o 1800 MHz (1.8 GHz)
    o 2600 MHz (2.6 GHz)

Xiaomi has listed following bands, not sure if it's compatible, which one should I be looking for? Cheers

FDD-LTE: Bands 1(2100 MHz)/ Bands 3(1800 MHz)/ Bands 7(2600 MHz)
    TDD-LTE:Bands 38(TD 2600) / 39(TD 1900) / 40(TD 2300) / 41(TD 2500)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Was just about to order Xiaomi MI4C but just wondering about 4g bands. Can anyone shed any light on the following. I'm with BT in UK and it has the following bands for 4G-
    4G from BT uses the following network frequencies:
    o 800 MHz (0.8 GHz)
    o 1800 MHz (1.8 GHz)
    o 2600 MHz (2.6 GHz)

Xiaomi has listed following bands, not sure if it's compatible, which one should I be looking for? Cheers

FDD-LTE: Bands 1(2100 MHz)/ Bands 3(1800 MHz)/ Bands 7(2600 MHz)
    TDD-LTE:Bands 38(TD 2600) / 39(TD 1900) / 40(TD 2300) / 41(TD 2500)

You can check this website to see if the phone is compatible: http://www.willmyphonework.net/

also if you're not aware, Xiaomi are planning on launching the mi5 on Feb 24th incase that might persuade your choice depending on your budget

EDIT: Just checked your phone myself, on BT mobile it says the following: "Device is compatible with some of the network carriers frequencies. It may work"

EJ22 wrote: »
    You can check this website to see if the phone is compatible: http://www.willmyphonework.net/

also if you're not aware, Xiaomi are planning on launching the mi5 on Feb 24th incase that might persuade your choice depending on your budget

EDIT: Just checked your phone myself, on BT mobile it says the following: "Device is compatible with some of the network carriers frequencies. It may work"

cheers Ej22. Saw that about MI5 but think I'll stick with MI4c. Hopefully it will work

I just tried that now and the connected device notfication is going on and off and when I go into device manager it says MT65xx preloader driver is unavailable

That's the chipset that's on the phone so at least part of it is alive

The fact that it's connecting and disconnecting repeatedly looks like it's trying to charge but there's not enough current?

Thanks everone for your advice, but the phone seems to just be dead now

None of the local repair shops can be bothered looking at unknown Chinese brands and Gearbest are living up to their reputation on terrible customer support.

Basically, they told me to send the phone back to China and 'if' it manages to get to the before their 45 day money back warranty, they'll give me a credit note to spend in their shop. If I decide to keep the phone, they'll give me a 25 dollar credit note.

It'll cost at least 30 euros to send the phone back to china and then another 30 euros to pay for delivery on whatever new phone I get from them, so I think I'm just gonna take the loss, and take the 25 dollar card and buy some cheap gadget from china

Does anyone know of any decent reliable phone for about 140 euros including shipping available in a (reputable) E.U. warehouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

None of the local repair shops can be bothered looking at unknown Chinese brands and Gearbest are living up to their reputation on terrible customer support.

Basically, they told me to send the phone back to China and 'if' it manages to get to the before their 45 day money back warranty, they'll give me a credit note to spend in their shop. If I decide to keep the phone, they'll give me a 25 dollar credit note.

It'll cost at least 30 euros to send the phone back to china and then another 30 euros to pay for delivery on whatever new phone I get from them, so I think I'm just gonna take the loss, and take the 25 dollar card and buy some cheap gadget from china

Does anyone know of any decent reliable phone for about 140 euros including shipping available in a (reputable) E.U. warehouse?

A friend of mine ordered a Redmi 3 through honorbuy recently:
    http://www.honorbuy.com/100-xiaomi-redmi-3

Seems like a nice little phone as long as you don't want it to do too much. It was ordered on Thursday morning and arrived Monday from the EU warehouse.

I've ordered a few things from honorbuy and had no issues at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭satguy

I pulled the trigger on one of these , Leagoo Alfa 1 5.5 inch Android 5.1 2GB 16GB ..@ €94 only

Link to page ,, just link ..
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Leagoo-Alfa-1-5-5-inch-Android-5-1-2GB-16GB-Smartphone-MTK6580-Quad-Core-13-0MP-Camera-OTG-Hotknot-WiFi-3G-GPS---Rose-360836.html

My tracking says it is here in IE and on route to me,,,,Hope So..

The phone is for my wife, she does not use much data if any,, so 3G is fine, but she does like her camera, this has a 13mp shooter that will record 4K..

The last time I got her a phone my young son did a small review on YT ,, we might do the same when we get our hands on this one..

Old review from last time ,, 85K views
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqSH57Ayjdg

Maybe better next time..?

• Advertisement

satguy wrote: »
    I pulled the trigger on one of these , Leagoo Alfa 1 5.5 inch Android 5.1 2GB 16GB ..@ €94 only

Link to page ,, just link ..
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Leagoo-Alfa-1-5-5-inch-Android-5-1-2GB-16GB-Smartphone-MTK6580-Quad-Core-13-0MP-Camera-OTG-Hotknot-WiFi-3G-GPS---Rose-360836.html

My tracking says it is here in IE and on route to me,,,,Hope So..

The phone is for my wife, she does not use much data if any,, so 3G is fine, but she does like her camera, this has a 13mp shooter that will record 4K..

The last time I got her a phone my young son did a small review on YT ,, we might do the same when we get our hands on this one..

Old review from last time ,, 85K views
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqSH57Ayjdg

Maybe better next time..?

Just got here 10 minutes ago .. Looks really nice

Just got here 10 minutes ago .. Looks really nice

cool. That was fast, when did you order it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Hey guys I ordered a Jiayu S3+ and it arrived in Ireland today. After paying customs etc my DHL tracking updated to say that it has been "Forwarded for delivery". It was meant to be with me by end of day today but alas it never arrived. Does anyone know what "Forwarded for delivery" means? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Probably not suitable for this thread, as it's Indian, and not Chinese :p

http://www.freedom251.com/

:eek:

:cool:

:D

cool. That was fast, when did you order it?

About 5 weeks ago, they it would be delayed because of chinese new year..

EJ22 wrote: »
    Hey guys I ordered a Jiayu S3+ and it arrived in Ireland today. After paying customs etc my DHL tracking updated to say that it has been "Forwarded for delivery". It was meant to be with me by end of day today but alas it never arrived. Does anyone know what "Forwarded for delivery" means? Thanks in advance.

Forwarded to Delivery means forwarded to courier in Ireland usually. You'll probably get it tomorrow or Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Allyall wrote: »
    Probably not suitable for this thread, as it's Indian, and not Chinese :p

http://www.freedom251.com/

:eek:

:cool:

:D

That's fake or something, it doesn't exist and your "order" will be used to build it or it's a straight out scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Folks I just received my Xiaomi Redmi Note (great phone by the way) but I'm now looking to insure it. I was previously with Gadget Insurance with my old HTC One but when adding the Xiaomi as a new policy I have to tick a box outlining that the phone was either bought in Ireland, the EU or US (and to provide a receipt). How do you usually go about insuring these Chinese phones? (or do you giving they are reasonably cheap!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭dball

great topic, and thanks to all for their contributions: very insightful information contained and i'm def going to get one of these phone recommended recently however I have a Q?
    Are there any of these phone available form an EU warehouse or are all of them coming from China,

• Advertisement

cherrytaz wrote: »
    How do you usually go about insuring these Chinese phones? (or do you giving they are reasonably cheap!)
    Maybe if going for one of the more expensive phones, but even then I don't find it a necessity.
    Some of the advantages of getting a Chinese phone is that it cuts out most/all the middle expenses.
    Insurance can be around €5 per month which is €60 per year. That's half the cost of some of these phones.
    You're probably already saving a fair bit by buying them, in both price and not being tied to a contract.
    Add to that, you can go abroad easily enough and throw in a foreign sim allowing cheaper calls home.
    The money saved/not charged almost makes some of the phones disposable.
    dball wrote: »
    Are there any of these phone available form an EU warehouse or are all of them coming from China,

There are quite a few EU Warehouses mentioned a ton of times. Most on the OP, and If you use the thread search, or go back a page or two you should find some more.

More info on the Freedom 251

Freedom 251: Ringing Bells finally answers all questions on sale, service centres and device -

http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/tech-news-technology/freedom-251-ringing-bells-answers-questions-speculations/

There is a teardown video for the U8 (official), despite popular belief, phones can be quite easy to repair (above component level) - also google 'ukitel u8 teardown' and you'll get quite a few more. It should help remove the battery at least.
    Also, contact Ukitel and explain to them, some brands trying to get a name will clamber over themselves to help (sometimes).
    http://www.oukitel.cc/GuestBook/

Also, for anyone affected by Gearbest and their brutal/non existent afterservice, freaktab are having a poll on whether or not they should allow them to continue ripping people off. on freaktab -> advertisers and vendor support -> Gearbest

I voted that I have had enough. They have got away with way too much, and people still buy from them - meaning more and more will continue to get ripped off.
    If gearbest get 'punished' (for lack of a better word) it may make others take note, and provide us with better service in future.

I for one have never bought anything from Gearbest, and never will,, But have a buddy that got burned, that turned me off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Currently having tonnes of hassle with an order from GearBest EU warehouse so would recommend avoiding at all costs, especially the EU warehouse

Anyone ever get anything off merimobiles? Seem bit cheaper than others but probably for a reason. Best reviewed site I've seen so for is ibuygou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Currently having tonnes of hassle with an order from GearBest EU warehouse so would recommend avoiding at all costs, especially the EU warehouse

I got a tablet from them very recently,although i said I'd never use them again,it came from their eu warehouse and took about 10 days and the tracking number didn't update till the day it arrived,but it was 50 euro cheaper then anywhere else

I for one have never bought anything from Gearbest, and never will,, But have a buddy that got burned, that turned me off..
    wiz569 wrote: »
    I got a tablet from them very recently,although i said I'd never use them again,it came from their eu warehouse and took about 10 days and the tracking number didn't update till the day it arrived,but it was 50 euro cheaper then anywhere else

I find them sneaky and underhanded. They also pretend to help, but realistically, only will when it's something simple or convenient for them.

I bought an expensive item from them. Stupid. Log story short, I lost quite a bit and Paypal wouldn't help.
    I bought it from the EU warehouse, and paypal were no help at all.

Anyway, I think they should be removed to stop anyone else from getting stung. They'll continue to for as long as they can get away with it. No doubt they'll create a few accounts or pay some people to vote for them to stay on that forum :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Anyway, I think they should be removed to stop anyone else from getting stung. They'll continue to for as long as they can get away with it. No doubt they'll create a few accounts or pay some people to vote them to stay on that forum :mad:

I agree m8,I only took the chance as I was willing to take a hit if necessary

• Advertisement

I find them sneaky and underhanded. They also pretend to help, but realistically, only will when it's something simple or convenient for them.

I bought an expensive item from them. Stupid. Log story short, I lost quite a bit and Paypal wouldn't help.
    I bought it from the EU warehouse, and paypal were no help at all.

Anyway, I think they should be removed to stop anyone else from getting stung. They'll continue to for as long as they can get away with it. No doubt they'll create a few accounts or pay some people to vote them to stay on that forum :mad:

Can I ask why paypal were not helpful? They are usually good. Buying from one of these sites soon, probably ibuygou, but was wondering what's paypal's policy is like should something go wrong

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement