Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delph09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Del007

fixxxer wrote: »
    The RN3 charger is marked as being 2 amps so your chargers should be that too or it will charge slower.

I usually use the plug that came with my iPad and that's rated at 2.1 amps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Del007 wrote:
    I close down all the apps before I charge it, I get a full day out of it once change though. It's very annoying

Sounds like a dodgy battery. 3000mah battery should last well beyond a day. It would seem its not getting fully charged/taking so long to charge because of a fault. I don't have a xiaomi but a HTC M8 and its only 2600mah battery but I'd get well over a day from it even with heavy use. Don't know how long it takes to fully charge as I usually plug it in at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Miui is very power hungry. 1 day is what I get too. Basic usage.

I'd avoid xiaomi until they decide to release the source code for their most recent phones, then decent aosp ROMs can be made.

If you don't mind charging your phone every night, it's a perfect phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I want to buy this phone
    http://www.amazon.in/lenovo-k4-note/b?ie=UTF8&node=8988826031

But it only seems to be for sale in India, does anybody know if it will become available soon to buy here, preferably from a euro warehouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I want to buy this phone
    http://www.amazon.in/lenovo-k4-note/b?ie=UTF8&node=8988826031

But it only seems to be for sale in India, does anybody know if it will become available soon to buy here, preferably from a euro warehouse.

Lenovo announced that it will be an Amazon exclusive, but haven't confirmed any dates when it will be available on the EU Amazon sites. It was launched last month in India and it is expected here in March, which will be exactly a year since the K3 was launched.

Don't know what the craic is with these.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/presell-lenovo-lemon-k4-note-3GB-RAM-16GB-ROM-octa-core-1920-1080-4G-LTE-MT6753/106530_32595344101.html

http://www.lightinthebox.com/lenovo-k4-note-5-5-fhd-android-lte-smartphone-dual-sim-wifi-gpsram2gb-rom16gb-13mp-5mp-3300mah-battery_p4795329.html

The optional VR Headset it apparently missing something (not sure what) which may be why it is not available at the minute, they may have to recall or restock with new ones.
    In any case, these are just as good and come with a controller, also can be bought with the $3 off when you use the app.
    (Incidentally, that Gamepad controller can be bought alone for €3.45 and take $3 off using app also :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Allyall wrote: »
    Lenovo announced that it will be an Amazon exclusive, but haven't confirmed any dates when it will be available on the EU Amazon sites. It was launched last month in India and it is expected here in March, which will be exactly a year since the K3 was launched.

Don't know what the craic is with these.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/presell-lenovo-lemon-k4-note-3GB-RAM-16GB-ROM-octa-core-1920-1080-4G-LTE-MT6753/106530_32595344101.html

http://www.lightinthebox.com/lenovo-k4-note-5-5-fhd-android-lte-smartphone-dual-sim-wifi-gpsram2gb-rom16gb-13mp-5mp-3300mah-battery_p4795329.html

The optional VR Headset it apparently missing something (not sure what) which may be why it is not available at the minute, they may have to recall or restock with new ones.
    In any case, these are just as good and come with a controller, also can be bought with the $3 off when you use the app.
    (Incidentally, that Gamepad controller can be bought alone for €3.45 and take $3 off using app also :) )

Thanks a million all y'all for all that info, it's great. Big difference in price with those two links isn't there. I might hold off for a few weeks and see what the story is. I'm using a crappy vodafone prime 6 at the moment and I'm sick of it but with work paying my mobile bills I'd like a semi decent phone without paying €600 plus for it here in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Thanks a million all y'all for all that info, it's great. Big difference in price with those two links isn't there. I might hold off for a few weeks and see what the story is. I'm using a crappy vodafone prime 6 at the moment and I'm sick of it but with work paying my mobile bills I'd like a semi decent phone without paying €600 plus for it here in Ireland.

Just a heads up from my own research into the VR headsets from china, if you're going to go for one you'd be better off going with the bobovr z3 (LINK) as from what I have read, it has a much higher FoV than other headsets in the same price range currently. Users over at the google cardboard subreddit have said its about 90 degrees. There is a new version coming in march which is meant to give even better FoV however there is currently no pricing information on it from what I've seen.

EDIT: Whelp, there's the new model up on aliexpress: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/BOBOVR-Z4-3D-VR-Glasses-with-Stereo-Headphone-Virtual-Reality-Headset-Oculus-Rift-VR-Box-for/32610359299.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.2.VYgmis&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_9,searchweb201644_5_505_506_503_504_502_10001_10002_10017_10010_10005_10011_10006_10003_10004_10009_10008,searchweb201560_1,searchweb1451318400_-1,searchweb1451318411_6449&btsid=9598f17f-0694-417a-a233-ec0fc2d3a619

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

delph09 wrote: »
    Xiaomi Mi 5 just released, the best version features with snapdragon 820 processor, 4GB of RAM, 16 MP Anti-Shake camera, 128 GB of storage, fingerprint sensor and 3000 mAh battery

Looks like an absolute beast of a phone, really interested.

As for the fact it needs charged daily, not an issue for me.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Looks like an absolute beast of a phone, really interested.

As for the fact it needs charged daily, not an issue for me.

My only real issue is what happens if anything goes wrong. No real repair facility here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

antodeco wrote: »
    My only real issue is what happens if anything goes wrong. No real repair facility here

True, I think they won't be selling it in Europe, so you'd have to import it and if there's an issue you're pretty much screwed.

But personally I'm always careful with my phones, so I can't see it being a huge problem for me.

In my 22 years of owning a phone, I've never had to send one off for repair.

My current Z3C is the only phone I ever broke. I had a karting crash and bent it in half. Crack across the side of the casing and the screen seperated. Amazingly, it still worked! Just had to buy a car to hold it together!

It was for that very R ason I've been toying with the idea of the Z5 premium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

RossieMan wrote: »
    I'd avoid xiaomi until they decide to release the source code for their most recent phones, then decent aosp ROMs can be made.
    I'd have to second this big time. People who've not tried other ROMs than MIUI really don't know what their missing especially with regards expandable and lockscreen notifications, both of which are stock Android features that have been removed. I've no issue with OEMs adding features and trying to differentiate themselves from the competition but don't remove some of the best features of Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭b.gud

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I'd have to second this big time. People who've not tried other ROMs than MIUI really don't know what their missing especially with regards expandable and lockscreen notifications, both of which are stock Android features that have been removed. I've no issue with OEMs adding features and trying to differentiate themselves from the competition but don't remove some of the best features of Android.

It looks like Cyanogenmod officially support at least 2 Xiaomi models and if this one is as popular as it looks like it should be I don't see any reason why it wouldn't support it. Having said that I intend to hold off on getting it until I'm 100% sure that it can run Cyanogenmod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

The problem is it's been nearly a year since the redmi note 2 has been released and still no source code. At this stage I'd be surprised if they release it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Finally getting my money back from GearWorst, so any recommendations for best bang for buck EU shipped phone for under 150 (hard limit)? Had been planning on Meizu M2 but wondering if i'm overlooking anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The Doogee F3 Pro seems like a good option from Shenzhen Ele AE
    (If you use DHL, you will 100% get hit with customs and their astronomical 'Admin Fees' (~€28 + €12.50).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Finally, after a long and anxious wait (I deliberately chose snail mail (PostNL) option, but boy snail was right), my new Ulefone Power has arrived safe and sound!
    As promised, some first impressions:
    Well packaged & nicely presented with plenty of accessories and correct UK adapter.
    mm63ox.jpgvw0aa.jpg

Start up is quick and, after connecting to the WiFi, shows that an update is available. Downloaded and installed with no issues.

Phone (i got the black version) looks very elegant and lies nicely in your hand. Size-wise you can easily operate it with one hand.
    Build quality feels very good, nice and solid. Given the size of the battery and phone itself, it feels pretty light, actually lighter than my old phone (Neo 003).

Wifi reception is very good, again much better than my old phone. As it needs a micro sim, I cannot test phone quality as yet (need to pop into a Tesco Mobile Phone shop to get a micro sim, wasn't aware my old sims are standard size :P).

Handling is excellent, apps load rapidly, no lag when swiping between screens. Everything is already set up in English, Play Store is installed. Android version 5.1, is supposed to be updated to Marshmallow in March (OTA). Looks like stock android with no bloatware (except for the app of the shop where I bought it).

The fingerprint scanner on the back is easy to set up (just did the basics for now, but it has many options). Unlocking the screen first seemed unresponsive, it takes some time getting used to how to place your finger and remembering to use the correct one :P.

I am still in the middle of installing stuff and getting backups from the old phone, so far everything works just great.

Camera seems fine, the few pictures I took so far are grand. Again very responsive and the camera app is easy to use.
    5fho48.jpg2e5ikav.jpg8wih34.jpg

(The pictures actually look much better on the screen than in the reduced size versions I posted :P).

So far so good, can't say anything about battery life yet, that will come over time after a full charge and more normal use :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I think our cats are twins :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

You can set it on an app by app basis which I prefer actually. There's a guide here: http://en.miui.com/thread-115459-1-1.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

b.gud wrote: »
    It looks like Cyanogenmod officially support at least 2 Xiaomi models and if this one is as popular as it looks like it should be I don't see any reason why it wouldn't support it. Having said that I intend to hold off on getting it until I'm 100% sure that it can run Cyanogenmod
    2 models in 3 years? I wouldn't be getting my hopes up. You also need to consider Xiaomi locking bootloaders on all of their new devices and retroactively on old devices. It is not easy to unlock the bootloader (I've tried) too.
    You can set it on an app by app basis which I prefer actually. There's a guide here: http://en.miui.com/thread-115459-1-1.html
    That's not the same thing as what's in stock Android when I say expandable notifications. There is no quick actions option unless you are using their stock apps. Also in Android 6.0 you can set floating notifications (heads up) on a per app basis too.

That's not the same thing as what's in stock Android when I say expandable notifications. There is no quick actions option unless you are using their stock apps. Also in Android 6.0 you can set floating notifications (heads up) on a per app basis too.

Well its two thirds of what you were looking for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

hi guys,

My phone is nearing its life end and im looking to update... what phone would you recommend (max 300)?.... looking for something with decent camera and sound...
    Would i be better off buying a samsung high spec 2nd hand or a chinese phone?..
    Is there much involved in wiping off bloat ware etc on these chinese phones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

boardie100 wrote: »
    hi guys,

My phone is nearing its life end and im looking to update... what phone would you recommend (max 300)?.... looking for something with decent camera and sound...
    Would i be better off buying a samsung high spec 2nd hand or a chinese phone?..
    Is there much involved in wiping off bloat ware etc on these chinese phones?

One Plus X/Two would be a good shout.

Most don't have much bloat, case of rooting and uninstalling to remove the bloat

Most don't have much bloat, case of rooting and uninstalling to remove the bloat

Tried a OP2 with oxygen OS on it. Its really not great. Struggles a lot doing simple things, gets laggy over time. Now, if you install hydrogen OS on it, their Chinese ROM, its a really great phone.

thanks will take a look at that one....

Tried a OP2 with oxygen OS on it. Its really not great. Struggles a lot doing simple things, gets laggy over time. Now, if you install hydrogen OS on it, their Chinese ROM, its a really great phone.

excuse my ignorance but would a Chinese Rom not have chinese language apps etc...?

boardie100 wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance but would a Chinese Rom not have chinese language apps etc...?

It supports English language as well :)

Have a look at it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYTV7R7rjeU

One of the best features of the OP2 is how easy it is to install different OS software on it.

Assuming i decide not to go with S7 Edge, what would you guys recommend as the best android phone out there, cost is not an issue.

Main things I need:
    1. Large Screen
    2. Excellent Battery
    3. Excellent Performance (Multi App heavy use)
    4. Excellent Camera
    5. IR Blaster preferred

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Xiaomi mi5 when its available .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement