Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

fixxxer wrote: »
    I got a Redmi note 2 prime for my wife from GeekBuying and has to flash a clean OS as there were ads.

I got myself Redmi Note 3 from honorbuy and it was perfect out of the box.
    I also got a Redmi Note 3 but from geekbuying, it was good out of the box, but I got convinced into installing the official stock ROM, now I've chinese apps I can't remove and xiaomi app store as default.

By the way, I don't see Leagoo on the first page, does anybody know them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

PeteSco wrote: »
    I also got a Redmi Note 3 but from geekbuying, it was good out of the box, but I got convinced into installing the official stock ROM, now I've chinese apps I can't remove and xiaomi app store as default.
    Are you sure you can't uninstall them? When I had mine it was as simple as long pressing on them and dragging them up to the bin that says uninstall underneath it, including the Xiaomi app store...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Root it and uninstall whatever you want.

There are also quite a few roms available now. Sphinx is supposed to be good.

For anybody considering using the Baidu browser on their Chinese device you really should read this article first.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Are you sure you can't uninstall them? When I had mine it was as simple as long pressing on them and dragging them up to the bin that says uninstall underneath it, including the Xiaomi app store...
    Nope, I don't have that option.. Are you sure you're running the official stable ROM?
    Allyall wrote: »
    Root it and uninstall whatever you want.

There are also quite a few roms available now. Sphinx is supposed to be good.
    Thanks for the suggestion but I'd rather keep it un-rooted, it's safer that way. I remember there were other reasons not to root it, but I can't think of any right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Safer that way? I'd leave it unrooted too if i were you, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

But seriously, the only reason to not root it is warranty, and even then a Chinese phone warranty is pretty useless.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Safer that way? I'd leave it unrooted too if i were you, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

But seriously, the only reason to not root it is warranty, and even then a Chinese phone warranty is pretty useless.

There was no need to be that rude.
    Anyway:
    Malware can easily breach your mobile security. Gaining root access also entails circumventing the security restrictions put in place by the Android operating system. Which means worms, viruses, spyware and Trojans can infect the rooted Android software if it’s not protected by effective mobile antivirus for Android. There are several ways these types of malware get on your phone: drive-by downloads, malicious links, infected apps you download from not so reputable app stores. They take over your phone and make it act behind your back: forward your contact list to cybercrooks, sniff your e-mails, send text messages to premium numbers, racking up your phone, and collect personal data such as passwords, usernames, credit card details that you use while socializing, banking and shopping from your smartphone.

There can also be problems with OTA updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

fixxxer wrote: »
    I thought of your post when I saw this:
    http://www.gizchina.com/2016/02/29/ulefone-future-specifications-16-mega-pixel-rear-camera-and-audio-hifi/

Might be worth investigating when its released?

thanks!

Nope, I don't have that option.. Are you sure you're running the official stable ROM?
    Yes, I was because that's the only ROM those apps are on.
    There can also be problems with OTA updates.
    Not with systemless root. However, I second RossieMan and don't think you should root. That quote you've taken is from a company who have an antivirus app for Android so of course they are going to say rooting is bad. I don't want to get into a debate about rooting but if you would actually like some honest advice about it instead of scaremongering and lies intended to make you purchase a product I suggest you open a separate thread on boards with your concerns or visit the XDA forums or the main XDA site. Or you could just look at this video from XDA (it should fast forward to a part explaining how root is actually safer, you can view the whole video if you are interested in more benefits of rooting).

That's super weird.
    Anyway I can live with mine, I'll see what to do if/when they release MIUI v8 or Android M, I'm really hoping we get it.
    Not with systemless root. However, I second RossieMan and don't think you should root. That quote you've taken is from a company who have an antivirus app for Android so of course they are going to say rooting is bad. I don't want to get into a debate about rooting but if you would actually like some honest advice about it instead of scaremongering and lies intended to make you purchase a product I suggest you open a separate thread on boards with your concerns or visit the XDA forums or the main XDA site. Or you could just look at this video from XDA (it should fast forward to a part explaining how root is actually safer, you can view the whole video if you are interested in more benefits of rooting).

Well, I took that quote because it was the most concise I found, but I watched the video you linked and read some posts on xda. The main point is that you still need to give root access to the app, so it's not that easy to by-pass.

Thanks for cleaning it out, while being polite.
    OT Over.

• Advertisement

That's super weird.
    Anyway I can live with mine, I'll see what to do if/when they release MIUI v8 or Android M, I'm really hoping we get it.

Well, I took that quote because it was the most concise I found, but I watched the video you linked and read some posts on xda. The main point is that you still need to give root access to the app, so it's not that easy to by-pass.

Thanks for clearing it out, while being polite.
    OT Over.

eamonnq wrote: »
    http://www.tinydeal.com/thl-t7-mtk6753-octa-core-64-bit-55-hd-android-51-4g-lte-phone-p-158419.html

Always liked THL phones, might give this a go (when it becomes available) 4800mah Battery 13mp camera

i like the look of this phone at this price.... how would i avoid paying customs on it though?.... and if hit what would they tack on?

jobless wrote: »
    i like the look of this phone at this price.... how would i avoid paying customs on it though?.... and if hit what would they tack on?

It's 23% of total including shipping.
    So if it is free shipping, then it is €31.55 + €7 (An Post handling charge) = €38.55.

From Spain (No Vat)
    http://www.igogo.es/product418329.html

From where? Let me have a guess, gearbest?

It's 23% of total including shipping.
    So if it is free shipping, then it is €31.55 + €7 (An Post handling charge) = €38.55.

From Spain (No Vat)
    http://www.igogo.es/product418329.html

have you bought from the spanish website?...

i expect that if i bought from that other site there would be no chance of it getting past customs?

jobless wrote: »
    have you bought from the spanish website?...

i expect that if i bought from that other site there would be no chance of it getting past customs?

No, I haven't bought from them. I shouldn't have given that link. I was looking at that site at the same time, and just pasted the link.

HongKongeek I have use many times.

If you use TinyDeal it has (like any other site) got a chance of slipping through. I have no idea what the stats on that would be though. I know some Post services are better than others, but I never took note of which. Netherlands post used to be good and Swiss post can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭90sBla

Sis just gave me her Umi Zero. Perfect condition but when she took out the sim and put mine in, it asked for a password. This apparently happens on them and there's no solution I can find. Do you think someone would buy it as is for 40 euro or perhaps one of those repair shops in town could somehow flash it back to stock? We only have Chromebook PC in house so I can't install anything etc to try myself.

Edit: I should say the solution is to flash stock but debugging needs to be turned on and I can't do that without this password.

I'd buy if for 40 euro.

Your sister must have set up Anti theft settings when she first set up the device. Enter the password she used and it will unlock it.

On this forum here http://community.umidigi.com/thread-390-1-1.html others are reporting the same problem. She definitely didn't activate anti theft. I already have a z9 mini, she just gave it to me as a backup as she got a new one recently. Rossieman it's yours if you want it. I'm gonna take it to the chinese phone expert dude first though and see could he flash something onto it for 15 euro or something because I'd like to sell it for a lot more than 40! :) Probs 85 euro inc postage

• Advertisement

Try this, it will work with any device, so it doesn't matter if you only have a chromebook.

http://chinagadgetsreviews.com/download-android-4-4-2-kitkat-stock-firmware-umi-zero-smartphone.html

Just need to download the firmware on to an SD card and put it in your phone.

That method will work for all phones, you just have to make sure the firmware is for your phone.

If you don't have an SD card, you can transfer it directly to your phone.

https://gigaom.com/2014/10/07/chromebook-file-transfer-to-android-with-usb/

Thanks! I'll try this tomorrow.

No bother, let me know anyway.

No, I haven't bought from them. I shouldn't have given that link. I was looking at that site at the same time, and just pasted the link.

HongKongeek I have use many times.

If you use TinyDeal it has (like any other site) got a chance of slipping through. I have no idea what the stats on that would be though. I know some Post services are better than others, but I never took note of which. Netherlands post used to be good and Swiss post can be.

thanks... how often did you get caught for customs using the hongkongeek site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Getting hit by customs is hit and miss. No definitive way of bypassing IMO.

And advising of ways is against the rules here.

Hongkonggeek pay you back should you be caught for customs.

As GBX said, but using Hongkongeek - never. But that's because they have an account (The name of the type of account esapes me) where they pay DHL expected customs fees on their end.
    If something happens, for example weight isn't marked clearly, DHL use their 'volumetric weight' system, and may charge you extra. In which case HongKongeek will refund you.
    That has never happened to me (I've bought a few items from them), but that is why they say "if you get charged, we will refund".

http://www.hongkongeek.com/en/content/8-CUSTOMS-DUTY-FREE-VAT-PAID-BACK

As the vat is paid before, you won't be expected to pay it again at your end. Unless there is a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I bought from Tiny Deals as they offer shipping via PostNL. Went without a hitch, albeit S L O W - took the best part of 5 weeks from ordering to having the package in my hand :P. Tracking via Track17 must be the most frustrating thing ever - Item preadvised - for about 4 weeks lol. From arrival in Holland to happy grin to postie took another week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Bought Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 and tested Vodafone, Meteor and 3 sim cards in it and they all picked up 4G in Galway.

Might be useful for someone!

• Advertisement

morgana wrote: »
    I bought from Tiny Deals as they offer shipping via PostNL. Went without a hitch, albeit S L O W - took the best part of 5 weeks from ordering to having the package in my hand :P. Tracking via Track17 must be the most frustrating thing ever - Item preadvised - for about 4 weeks lol. From arrival in Holland to happy grin to postie took another week!

what did you buy out of interest?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement