Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

jenno86 wrote: »
    Bought Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 and tested Vodafone, Meteor and 3 sim cards in it and they all picked up 4G in Galway.

Might be useful for someone!

Where did you get it Jenno? I'm on the lookout for one after a boatload of hassle with GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

Bought Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 and tested Vodafone, Meteor and 3 sim cards in it and they all picked up 4G in Galway.

Might be useful for someone!
    Yep, because they use Band3-1800MHz.
    Satriale wrote: »
    Where did you get it Jenno? I'm on the lookout for one after a boatload of hassle with GB.
    I took my Redmi Note 3 on Geekbuying, everything was fine. Just make sure you get the FDD TDD LTE Model otherwise bye bye 4G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

If it's anything like the note 2 both versions are the same. They just make us pay more for the FDD. That was the case with the note 2 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

90sBla wrote: »
    On this forum here http://community.umidigi.com/thread-390-1-1.html others are reporting the same problem. She definitely didn't activate anti theft. I already have a z9 mini, she just gave it to me as a backup as she got a new one recently. Rossieman it's yours if you want it. I'm gonna take it to the chinese phone expert dude first though and see could he flash something onto it for 15 euro or something because I'd like to sell it for a lot more than 40! :) Probs 85 euro inc postage

Where is the Chinese phone expert located please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭90sBla

abarkie wrote: »
    Where is the Chinese phone expert located please?

I just can him the expert as my father has an oukitel k4000 pro and dropped it in the bath and it was ruined and the vibrate was on 24/7 as a result. He took it apart and fixed it. He's in dungarvan in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Satriale wrote: »

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-XIAOMI-REDMI-NOTE-2-4G-LTE-Mobile-phone-MTK-X10-2-0Ghz-Octa-Core-64bit/342812_32464520868.html

Paid for DHL faster delivery, they gaurentee no customs charges. They send it to an address in the UK by DHL, then send it again with DHL to Ireland.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-XIAOMI-REDMI-NOTE-2-4G-LTE-Mobile-phone-MTK-X10-2-0Ghz-Octa-Core-64bit/342812_32464520868.html

Paid for DHL faster delivery, they gaurentee no customs charges. They send it to an address in the UK by DHL, then send it again with DHL to Ireland.

Thanks Jenno, just ordered one.

Having dealt with them twice now, their shipping is shocking. Both times it was more than 10 days after they said it shipped that it actually was collected by dhl. They must wait and build up their orders first.

When you pay 20-30 for delivery, you expect a decent service. Wouldn't go with them again, just because the shipping is awful. They then take an age to respond to any query and try to fob you off.

I know they've very good ratings, but just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Anyone had any issues with slightly older sim cards and Chinese phones? Oppo specifically.

Had an issue with an intermittent echo (whoever is on the other end occasionally hears themselves echoed back - can't easily replicate) and took it to a repair place who suggested a newer sim card might sort the issue - given that they're essentially turning business away, I thought there might be something to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Cossax wrote: »
    Anyone had any issues with slightly older sim cards and Chinese phones? Oppo specifically.

Had an issue with an intermittent echo (whoever is on the other end occasionally hears themselves echoed back - can't easily replicate) and took it to a repair place who suggested a newer sim card might sort the issue - given that they're essentially turning business away, I thought there might be something to it?
    Had that with the HTC a year or two ago. It was really annoying. IIRC somebody discovered it was the old sim by accident.

The Huawei Honor 6 Plus (PE-UL00) is on Geekvida.de for €200. (That includes Duty/Vat).
    It's the 16GB version (32GB version adds NFC and infrared).
    €350 in most other places. Sold out fairly quickly earlier on, but:
    bald wieder verfügbar
    http://www.hihonor.com/uk/products/mobile-phones/honor6-plus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

My Nexus phone is dying so I need to replace it. I would love if someone could sanity check my possible purchase before I buy please.
    It'll be my first time buying a phone online. I just want an English language phone with no ad's, that supports 4G and has Google Play installed. I'm not confident with my rooting or flashing skills but my husband might give it a shot.
    I'm looking at this Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro Prime.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-3-Pro-Snapdragon-650-Hexa-Core-5-5-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM/342812_32597684693.html?spm=2114.12010108.100007.9.5JM3JR

Should I have reservations?

sok2005 wrote: »
    My Nexus phone is dying so I need to replace it. I would love if someone could sanity check my possible purchase before I buy please.
    It'll be my first time buying a phone online. I just want an English language phone with no ad's, that supports 4G and has Google Play installed. I'm not confident with my rooting or flashing skills but my husband might give it a shot.

Just be aware you'll have working 4G only on 3, Eir Mobile, Meteor and Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

sok2005 wrote: »

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-3-Pro-Snapdragon-650-Hexa-Core-5-5-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM/342812_32597684693.html?spm=2114.12010108.100007.9.5JM3JR

I went from a Nexus 4 to a Redmi Note 3 and back again and I couldn't be happier with my Nexus 4 (I've detailed some of my issues with it previously on here before). You will only have 4G in major cities on select networks. The software installed on the phone won't be official (unless you ask but then it won't have Google Play). The software may not have Google Play installed correctly and syncing may not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I went from a Nexus 4 to a Redmi Note 3 and back again and I couldn't be happier with my Nexus 4 ......

Me too, I went from Nexus 4 to Redmi 2 to Redmi Note 3. Back now to Redmi 2 due to issues with Bluetooth with Note 3. Now having BT issues with Redmi 2 and may go back to the trusted Nexus. It's either the phone or the car's BT and I ain't going to change the car :eek:

wait4me wrote: »
    Me too, I went from Nexus 4 to Redmi 2 to Redmi Note 3. Back now to Redmi 2 due to issues with Bluetooth with Note 3. Now having BT issues with Redmi 2 and may go back to the trusted Nexus. It's either the phone or the car's BT and I ain't going to change the car :eek:

I was having bluetooth problems with my last Chinese phone but I think it was lollipop rather than the phone. I installed a few bluetooth apps and one of them resolved it but I don't know which. Might be worth a shot before you change the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

would i be right in saying that allof these chinese phones need some sort of modification to get them working correctly?.... removing chinese apps, bloatware... how difficult it is to do?.. are there any that are a major pain in the backside to get working?

jobless wrote: »
    would i be right in saying that allof these chinese phones need some sort of modification to get them working correctly?.... removing chinese apps, bloatware... how difficult it is to do?.. are there any that are a major pain in the backside to get working?

Not all. Some come with bloatware installed and sometimes they require international firmware.
    Usually straight forward enough. Less likely to be hard.

Geekvida are having an "Oscars Promotion" sale.
    Yesterday they had the Huawei Honor 6 Plus 16GB version for €200

Todays wasn't so good, but it may be worth keeping an eye on over the next week.

The cheaper you go, the more likely you are to find bugs and no one who's gonna fix them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭seamus1980

Has anyone ever used this site?
    http://www.zolday.com/index.php?gOo=shop.dwt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

seamus1980 wrote: »

Looks dodge! Prices are too good to be true!

• Advertisement

seamus1980 wrote: »

They're a scam site, associated with other sites doing the same scam (i can't find the list at the minute).

They'll accept your payment via Western Union and they'll have tracking info for another item sent by someone else (e.g. a 3D printer sent using UPS from Banggood) to Ireland (or your Country).

Then before the item doesn't arrive, they'll say it was lost in the post and offer you a refund.
    You'll never hear from them again.

Allyall wrote: »
    Not all. Some come with bloatware installed and sometimes they require international firmware.
    Usually straight forward enough. Less likely to be hard.

Geekvida are having an "Oscars Promotion" sale.
    Yesterday they had the Huawei Honor 6 Plus 16GB version for €200

Todays wasn't so good, but it may be worth keeping an eye on over the next week.

really interested in the XiaoMi Mi5.... but am afraid I'll be stuck with a load of chinese apps etc... do you think these would be hard to change?

Kavrocks wrote: »
    If you get a sealed box there are no chinese popups but there is also no Google Play Store, Google Play Services and the various background syncing functions.
    really interested in the XiaoMi Mi5.... but am afraid I'll be stuck with a load of chinese apps etc... do you think these would be hard to change?

It depends on where you get it from, as Kavrocks said, if the box is sealed, it's without any bloatware added.
    Either way, it should be straight forward enough. The Xiaomis have many roms for most of their phones, partially because they have a large community.
    Or root it and remove all the bloatware yourself.
    Mi 5 Roms/root instructions will be here - http://en.miui.com/forum-92-1.html

It depends on where you get it from, as Kavrocks said, if the box is sealed, it's without any bloatware added.
    Either way, it should be straight forward enough. The Xiaomis have many roms for most of their phones, partially because they have a large community.

great, thanks for the info.... now to find somewhere respectable to buy it! ... From what ive read here...avoid Gearbest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

great, thanks for the info.... now to find somewhere respectable to buy it! ... From what ive read here...avoid Gearbest
    Avoid Gearbest

The Xiaomis have many roms for most of their phones, partially because they have a large community.
    But their bootloaders are locked and unlocking them is not easy unless you've days of free time on your hands.

To be honest if you are worried about having to put Google Play on a phone or removing Chinese bloatware a Chinese phone probably isn't for you.

My xiaomi doesn't have a locked bootloader. Feck all ROMs though, pure battery draining crap and I end up back at miui.

RossieMan wrote: »
    My xiaomi doesn't have a locked bootloader. Feck all ROMs though, pure battery draining crap and I end up back at miui.
    What model is yours?

From the Redmi Note 3 on they are being locked. Some Mi4's are also being retroactively locked through OTA updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It doesn't take days to unlock a bootloader in any case.

I was gonna mention the Mi3 as being unlocked but it's too old to be relevant at this stage I guess

• Advertisement

It doesn't take days to unlock a bootloader in any case.
    2 months on from getting my Redmi Note 3 and I've only been granted permission to unlock it after several unsuccessful attempts. Don't take my word for it their forums are littered with similar stories.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement