Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I've the note 2. Hadn't heard of the issues with the note 3. There is no reason to unlock the bootloader anyway, no other ROM is usable long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

RossieMan wrote: »
    There is no reason to unlock the bootloader anyway, no other ROM is usable long term.
    Rooting and installing Google Play and related apps to /system are 2 big reasons for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Rooting and installing Google Play and related apps to /system are 2 big reasons for me anyway.
    They don't work as good if they aren't installed to /system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The Xiaomi Mi5...

What is the cheapest way to buy this if all went well for you?

Separately, what is the most secure and comforting way to buy (i.e certainty as to "all in" cost; and certainty as to not a clone)

Just trying to determine and assess the options for getting this phone into my hands given it is not sold in EMEA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭eoinp11

So i did a lot of comparing, if anyone want's my spreadsheet to help their search, it's here
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vwFW9rw-LOX-hbZuc2AiBLYLTRNVZgJsQO0l90j3PPs/edit?usp=sharing

My starting spec to search for: Around €300, give or take. Fast (ideally snapdragon) screen no bigger than 5.5", 3gb ram min, decent storage (ideally sd expandable), decent camera, decent battery aiming for 3000Mah min (ideally with fast charge).. was hoping for NFC but might have to sacrifice that.

My decision in the end: Asus ZenFone Selfie ZD551KL
    (the ZE551ML comes with NFC, but it seems to have a much more limited 4g Range for an extra cost)

My Question(s) :
    • Any reasons to really avoid this? (other than the bloatware?)
    • Any advice for buying the ZenFone Selfie ZD551KL for the best price? (reliable seller)
    • Am i right in saying tinydeal, honorbuy, dealextreme & aliexpress are relatively safe?
    • How about the spanish iGoGo... they seem safe?
    • Would the limited 4g on the ZE551ML be an issue here in Ireland?
    • Would the 4g on the Selfie ZD551KL be an issue here in Ireland?
    • Maybe a a phone on my list is better to go with for some reason?
      xiaoimni mi4c, Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro, (maybe the oneplus1, or oneplusx not too concerned with the fingerprint reader)

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

I bought from http://www.coolicool.com/stock-in-europe-oukitel-k4000-pro-mtk6735p-10ghz-quad-core-50-inch-25d-hd-screen-android-51-4g-l-g-43127 approx 3 weeks ago and I have to say I'm impressed so far for €130 delivered.

Battery life is great for my usage - down to ~10% after more than 3days since last charge:
    379978.png379979.png379980.png

Camera isn't the best, not great in low-light but outdoor/daylight shots are more than adequate for myself.

Just wanted to post some feedback, this is my 3rd/4th Chinese Android phone and so far its the best I've had, lets hope I don't encounter any problems...

Anyway, if anyone has any questions - feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Borisgem8

Pretty solid device, quite heavy (208gr) because of that huge battery on the inside (even removable), and the sheer fact that it’s sturdy overall.
    The IPS panel is well above average with adequate sensitivity and the speaker sounds decent as well.

Bought it from Banggood two weeks ago.

PS: You can use it as a hammer as well :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Borisgem8 wrote: »
    Pretty solid device, quite heavy (208gr) because of that huge battery on the inside (even removable), and the sheer fact that it’s sturdy overall.
    The IPS panel is well above average with adequate sensitivity and the speaker sounds decent as well.

Bought it from Banggood two weeks ago.

Impressive, he had a knot between third and second last, a small hammer would have been under pressure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Borisgem8 wrote: »

Haven't tried it myself ☺ but it has fallen out of my pocket at the kitchen table and only a few marks on the screen protector.
    Heavy/solid feel to it though.

Using it on ID mobile 4G and no connection issues

Quick question:

Could anyone advice on theLG G3 D858 32GB Dual Sim 4G (€263) vs the Zenfone 2 ZE551ML 4G Dual Sim 64GB (€275)

Tough choice!

http://www.eglobalcentral.eu/asus-zenfone-2-ze551ml-4g-dual-sim-64gb-sim-free-unlocked-gold.html#feature

http://www.eglobalcentral.eu/lg-g3-d858-32gb-dual-sim-4g-lte-sim-free-unlocked-black.html#specifications

PS.. this eglobal site gets A LOT of god reviews on boards.ie and has a european warehouse. Just a heads up.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Where are you finding the good reviews for eglobal?

You're almost at one plus x range there, it's hard beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Where are you finding the good reviews for eglobal?

You're almost at one plus x range there, it's hard beat.

Probably getting paid to post this

Probably getting paid to post this

Me? lord no. Just been breaking my balls the last few days trying to get a new phone. Searched "eglobal boards.ie" and checked the results... good few people buying expensive camera gear and coming back saying good things about phone purchases. (look back, i advertised loads of other websites and phones in my post/spreadsheet)

Anyways for future buyers reading this: I'm going with the Lg g3.. tough choice. Hoping the screen sharpening isnt an issue. Really doesn't seem like the oneplus beats it. No nfc. No extra streaming features (if they ever get used) wireless charging few other things.

Good sites: http://www.phonearena.com/
    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/
    http://www.kimovil.com/ check their "reccomended" phones..

Whatever you're into I suppose. The g3 is oldish tech as this stage. Coming up to 2 years old, expensive enough if you ask me.

I assume that's for the 3gb ram version? Its getting marshmallow anyway, ID say that'll be its last update.

Whatever you're into I suppose. The g3 is oldish tech as this stage. Coming up to 2 years old, expensive enough if you ask me.

I assume that's for the 3gb ram version? Its getting marshmallow anyway, ID say that'll be its last update.

Balls! Mostly went with the g3 as I was taking too long splitting hairs! Would you have recommended the zenfone 2 over it? Enough to warrant trying to exchange it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Raoul

Guys, any help here. I know lots of you guys are way more up to date than myself.

Looking for a phone sub 160 euro that can be bought somewhere with a decent warranty (such as amazon). For that reason I am looking at the UMI Iron Pro.

Also would like:
    A decent camera & 4g.

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Borisgem8

eoinp11 wrote: »
    Me? lord no. Just been breaking my balls the last few days trying to get a new phone. Searched "eglobal boards.ie" and checked the results... good few people buying expensive camera gear and coming back saying good things about phone purchases. (look back, i advertised loads of other websites and phones in my post/spreadsheet)

Anyways for future buyers reading this: I'm going with the Lg g3.. tough choice. Hoping the screen sharpening isnt an issue. Really doesn't seem like the oneplus beats it. No nfc. No extra streaming features (if they ever get used) wireless charging few other things.

Good sites: http://www.phonearena.com/
    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/
    http://www.kimovil.com/ check their "reccomended" phones..

Not sure about the G3, reading about touch screen issues being pretty common.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Unfortunately I've lost my ZTE Nubia Z9 mini which was a great phone so I'm thinking of buying another Chinese phone. Anybody have any quick recommendations for a 5 inch phone with good specs and a good camera? I stopped looking into Chinese phones once I bought the Nubia so I'm a bit behind with all the newer phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

Raoul wrote: »
    Guys, any help here. I know lots of you guys are way more up to date than myself.

Looking for a phone sub 160 euro that can be bought somewhere with a decent warranty (such as amazon). For that reason I am looking at the UMI Iron Pro.

Also would like:
    A decent camera & 4g.

Any other suggestions?
    Sadly at that price point and within Europe, it's really hard to find anything with a decent camera..
    Good luck, though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Hayezer wrote: »
    Unfortunately I've lost my ZTE Nubia Z9 mini which was a great phone so I'm thinking of buying another Chinese phone. Anybody have any quick recommendations for a 5 inch phone with good specs and a good camera? I stopped looking into Chinese phones once I bought the Nubia so I'm a bit behind with all the newer phones.

Not "great" specs but good: Meizu M2 from Amazon.fr

• Advertisement

PeteSco wrote: »
    Sadly at that price point and within Europe, it's really hard to find anything with a decent camera..
    Good luck, though!

Like I mean decent as in decent not unreal! The Umi Iron Pro's camera is decent. Just wondering is there anything better.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

Like I mean decent as in decent not unreal! The Umi Iron Pro's camera is decent. Just wondering is there anything better.

Have a look at this as my daughter just bought it to replace her motor g which was the first model.
    She only has it a day and she loves it. Camera is very decent. Back camera is 13mpx and front is 8mpx. Supports 4g 800MHz. WiFi is better or stronger than the motor g, it pick up more signals. Google was already installed and no Chinese apps at all. App content was really light. All social app (Facebook, spotify, snapshot, instegram, whatsapp, viber, etc) work including her banking app. She bought it on Amazon Spain. It arrived in 5 days with no customs or extras.

It cost €127 deliverd.

The "kimovil" site does not give all specs as it has a hall sensor and can access 5GHz WiFi. The battery has fast charging.

http://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-leagoo-elite-5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Looking for a phone sub 160 euro that can be bought somewhere with a decent warranty (such as amazon).
    Also would like:
    A decent camera & 4g.
    Any other suggestions?
    Anybody have any quick recommendations for a 5 inch phone with good specs and a good camera?

Amazon is probably a small bit more expensive than elsewhere.

Doogee F3 Pro - www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016Y1RW68/

Jiayu S3, Xiaomi Mi4, and maybe the Doogee F5 too.

Cheers lads. I presume if I buy off Amazon that I have a European Electronics warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I have a TCL M2U and the camera on that is fairly decent, am looking to get a new phone though (not sure why, but I am!!), and was looking at the Elephone M3 (not sure I like Elephone though as their 'new releases' were sometimes buggy) or a THL T7 (camera spec is not as good as the M3).

Both have the 2nd sim card OR MicroSD card, so would probably go for the bigger storage of the M3, but bigger battery on the THL T7.

Decisions. Decisions, might just stick with the TCL though, as I would miss the Gyroscope for VR !!

edit: Some sites suggesting that the M3 has the Gyro, so that might sway it for me. Now to find out where to buy it!!

and then I see this: http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/03/elephone-s3s-official-hands-on-video-pops-up-bezels-begone.html

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Kind of like the look of Oneplus X and Xiaomi Mi4C, and I think you can buy the Oneplus off their website so I'm guessing delivery would be quicker. Anyone have any experience with them? High quality 5 inch screen with a good camera are probably the things I'm looking for most, I'd be spending anywhere up to 300e but the cheaper the better.

Wiko are a well known (French) brand on mainland Europe, mainly France and Germany. They are coming here and across Europe.
    They are a sold in stores in Germany, France like Nokia, Samsung, Apple etc.

Anyway,

The Wiko Highway Star is currently on sale on Anterlife for €102.44
    or €97.78 with code
    antelife5usd

Excellent deal.
    To compare:
    It's €240 on Amazon France, €247 on Amazon Germany, €240 in CDiscount, €248 on Alternate, €257 on Hitmeister etc.

For less than €100 this is excellent.
    Main Specs/Information here - http://ie.wikomobile.com/m664-highway-star
    SIM CARD: 1 + 1 Micro SIM Nano SIM / SD card 1
    OPERATING SYSTEM: Android ™ 4.4.4 (KitKat) - Update Android ™ 5.1 (Lollipop) available
    PROCESSOR: Octa-Core, 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53
    SCREEN: 5 "HD AMOLED Corning Gorilla Glass 3
    GPU ARM Mali-T760 MP2
    MEMORY RAM: 2GB
    ROM MEMORY: 16 GB
    BRIEF STRETCH: By microSD up to 64GB

NETWORKS: 4G LTE 800/1800/2100/2600 MHz
    H + / 3G + / 3G WCDMA 900/1900/2100 MHz
    GSM / GPRS / EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    DATA RATE: FDD-LTE Category 4 150 Mbps DL, UL 50 Mbits

MAIN CAMERA: 13 MP (AF + LED flash)
    Selfie: 5 MP
    WiFi 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n access point Wi-Fi
    BLUETOOTH 4.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Sono

Allyall wrote: »
    Wiko are a well known (French) brand on mainland Europe, mainly France and Germany. They are coming here and across Europe.
    They are a sold in stores in Germany, France like Nokia, Samsung, Apple etc.

Anyway,

The Wiko Highway Star is currently on sale on Anterlife for €102.44
    or €97.78 with code
    antelife5usd

Excellent deal.
    To compare:
    It's €240 on Amazon France, €247 on Amazon Germany, €240 in CDiscount, €248 on Alternate, €257 on Hitmeister etc.

For less than €100 this is excellent.
    Main Specs/Information here - http://ie.wikomobile.com/m664-highway-star

Great looking phone, is that site reputable? Seems they only have it in green, also do you have any first hand experience of the phone? Just trying to get some feedback before I committ to buying. Thanks

Sono wrote: »
    Great looking phone, is that site reputable? Seems they only have it in green, also do you have any first hand experience of the phone? Just trying to get some feedback before I committ to buying. Thanks

Site is reputable enough, well used on this thread.
    I don't have first hand experience of this phone, as it hasn't ben officially released yet everywhere.

I have had the Wiko King and another cráppy Wiko from early on (Like the samsung galaxy Europa) for my Nephew. both were as expected. Well made, spec was okay for what they were etc..
    I am seriously thinking of buying this and maybe getting rid of my Xiaomi Note 2.
    I'd say this will sell out quickly.

EDIT -
    I bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Doing a lot of research into these phones, and a bit confused if anyone can help. Bottom line is looking for something in the region of:

1. 3gb+ RAM
    2. CPU clocking at 1.5ghz or better
    3. Gorrila Glass
    3. Light as possible
    4. Thin as possible
    5. 3,200mAh+ Battery
    6. Works on 4G Vodafone
    7. Reliable supplier

Can anyone just simply give me 3 or 4 phones and I will run with one?

If all else fails, I'll just run with $100.00 Oukitel K4000 pro to dip my toe in the market, or the Oukitel 10000 due to the battery (looks insane battery life).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement