Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Wow, that's some serious bang for your buck !

Very tempted myself, the only thing holding me back is the battery and the green colour
    Allyall wrote: »
    Wiko are a well known (French) brand on mainland Europe, mainly France and Germany. They are coming here and across Europe.
    They are a sold in stores in Germany, France like Nokia, Samsung, Apple etc.

Anyway,

The Wiko Highway Star is currently on sale on Anterlife for €102.44
    or €97.78 with code
    antelife5usd

Excellent deal.
    To compare:
    It's €240 on Amazon France, €247 on Amazon Germany, €240 in CDiscount, €248 on Alternate, €257 on Hitmeister etc.

For less than €100 this is excellent.
    Main Specs/Information here - http://ie.wikomobile.com/m664-highway-star

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭honda boi

So my trusty jiayu g4s of 2 years has finally given up on me!!
    Been looking at getting the ultra 6 but after seeing the xiaomi redmi 3(not the note version),I'm not sure which one.
    Anyone first hand experience with this phone?
    Anyone experience with this seller

Original Xiaomi Redmi 3 2G RAM 16G ROM Metal Body 4100 mAh Snapdragon 616 Octa Core 64 bit 5" 1280X720 FDD LTE Mobile Phone
    http://s.aliexpress.com/EvEn6r2Y
    (from AliExpress Android)
    Want a snapdragon phone as although I loved the g4s,the GPS never worked !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Wow, that's some serious bang for your buck !

Very tempted myself, the only thing holding me back is the battery and the green colour

They are a French brand, made in China phones, and apparently the backs are changeable. That wouldn't bother me so much anyway, but should be easy enough to get semi-locally if I want.
    Band 20 LTE 800 :D
    The battery may not be the best, especially with an Amoled screen, but I'll give it a go. - I think it'll be the first time I have a phone with that battery in it, so it'll be interesting for that anyway.
    Most of the other Wikos have removable batteries, so I'm guessing this will also. A normal battery isn't hard to get from China.
    If the battery is terrible, I should still be able to move it on for €100.
    Wiko are launching here soon too.

- I'm guessing the battery will be similar to a 3000mAh - If I'm to believe the marketing... :rolleyes:

EDIT - I think they're very similar.

DOUBLE EDIT - I'm after looking everywhere, :( I thought this phone was one of the phones from April - June that willl have multi system options.
    It still may be (As it's not officially released yet), but one or two of the others have been named, and this one doesn't say anything.
    Although I am hoping that is why the OEM are undercutting Wiko by over €150 a month before the official release. It would also explain why Wiko are staying quiet.

http://ie.wikomobile.com/

Similar offer here - http://www.coolicool.com/wiko-highway-star-4g-mtk6752-15ghz-octa-core-50-inch-super-amoled-corning-gorilla-glass-hd-screen-g-43258

Use code CPK1505C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

honda boi wrote:
    (from AliExpress Android) Want a snapdragon phone as although I loved the g4s,the GPS never worked !!!

GPS has been working fine on my mediatek RN3. The Qualcom version has a slightly better camera on it i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

fixxxer wrote: »
    GPS has been working fine on my mediatek RN3. The Qualcom version has a slightly better camera on it i think
    You're talking about the Redmi Note 3, while he's talking about the Redmi 3 (without Note). :D

By they way, GPS has nothing to do with the cpu, it's has to do with cheap manufacturers that can't even implement it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Can anyone recommend a 10" tablet with good battery life? Preferably at least 2gb ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

PeteSco wrote: »
    You're talking about the Redmi Note 3, while he's talking about the Redmi 3 (without Note). :D

By they way, GPS has nothing to do with the cpu, it's has to do with cheap manufacturers that can't even implement it.

My mistake, didn't even know there was a Qualcom Redmi 3.

Can anyone recommend a 10" tablet with good battery life? Preferably at least 2gb ram.

The Lenovo A10-70 has a very good battery in it. But I can't find it for a decent price at the minute. It seems to be on the opposite of a Sale Price.
    It has been below €200 more often than not, and usually floats around the €175 price and has been on sale for €150.
    So it is very weird that it's above €200 at the minute.

http://www.curiua.com/s?q=Lenovo+Tab+2+A10-70

There is the Lenovo A10-70L and the A10-70F and both have been lower in price.

If you know anyone abroad (Specifically Germany or Poland) Some great deals on the other Lenovo 10" - The Lenovo Yoga 10 (Tab 3)
    for €186 + shipping - https://mediamarkt.pl/komputery-i-tablety/tablet-lenovo-yoga-tab-3-10-cali-za0h0030pl-2

Weird pricing by Lenovo across Europe. They practically give away some devices in France and double the price here. But both of those do have a great battery, and I think the Lenovo Tab 2 Yoga is the more desirable of the Yogas.

That said, they may come with bloatware that requires removing, and I wouldn't pay over €180 for either.

It also depends on cash, and whether or not you would like Windows or Android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Anyone got any advice on what to do with an Elephone P7000 that is not powering or charging?

My sister bought one off elephonestore. She's had it a few months now with no issues, and it went dead on her today (not for the first time). Her friend tried to charge it with her own micro-USB charger and no lights came on. She passed no remarks as it was a generic charger and she said this had happened before with chargers other than the one she got with the phone. When she got home she tried to charge it off the PC and not so much as a light came on. She plugged it in to charge at the wall socket for 3 hours and same again. Phone will not power on or even partially power on and there is absolutely no indication that it is charging at all. She's removed the battery and left it and the SD card out for about half an hour and then tried putting it all back in but she's still having no luck :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Have you tired googling it? You won't get much help here I'm afraid. Elephone are notoriously bad for failing.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    Have you tired googling it? You won't get much help here I'm afraid. Elephone are notoriously bad for failing.

Have done, gone through about 3 pages of Google results and most recommendations seem to be about removing the battery and letting "residual power" drain and then put back in. We tried that. Thought maybe someone here might have had a similar experience!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Anyone got any advice on what to do with an Elephone P7000 that is not powering or charging?

Try a longer charging connector.
    The middle one of these often comes with Chinese brand phones. The smaller one can lead to different problems e.g. data transfer and charging problems.

380438.jpg

Allyall wrote: »
    Try a longer charging connector.
    The middle one of these often comes with Chinese brand phones. The smaller one can lead to different problems e.g. data transfer and charging problems.

380438.jpg

Where would one get a longer one? The one she got with it is the same length as my S5 one, so would she need to get it from somewhere?

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Where would one get a longer one? The one she got with it is the same length as my S5 one, so would she need to get it from somewhere?

That may not be the problem, but it has been for me in the past.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1m-Micro-USB-Data-Charger-Cable-Lead-w-8mm-Extra-Long-Tip-for-Asus-MeMo-Pad-10-/171769182320

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1m-MICRO-USB-Data-Sync-Charge-Cable-for-Asus-MeMo-Pad-10-ME102A-8mm-Long-Tip-/181757505535

Or you could ask here - www.cables.ie

fixxxer wrote: »
    My mistake, didn't even know there was a Qualcom Redmi 3.
    Haha.. There'll be a Redmi 3S soon, too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

myshirt wrote: »
    Doing a lot of research into these phones, and a bit confused if anyone can help. Bottom line is looking for something in the region of:

1. 3gb+ RAM
    2. CPU clocking at 1.5ghz or better
    3. Gorrila Glass
    3. Light as possible
    4. Thin as possible
    5. 3,200mAh+ Battery
    6. Works on 4G Vodafone
    7. Reliable supplier

Can anyone just simply give me 3 or 4 phones and I will run with one?

If all else fails, I'll just run with $100.00 Oukitel K4000 pro to dip my toe in the market, or the Oukitel 10000 due to the battery (looks insane battery life).

^^^^^^^^

Can someone assist me? Really no good at decision making!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

^^^^^^^^

Have a look at kimovil.com and narrow your specs down

^^^^^^^^

Check the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro.

Is there a step by step guide to unlocking the bootloader, flashing a rom, and loading google play... just incase its full of bloatware...

Op hasn't been updated in a while so wondering where is best to buy in order of preference. BangGood? Hong Kong Goldway?

Is there a step by step guide to unlocking the bootloader, flashing a rom, and loading google play... just incase its full of bloatware...

Op hasn't been updated in a while so wondering where is best to buy in order of preference. BangGood? Hong Kong Goldway?

I don't know much about technical stuff but it has a Qualcomm processor which makes it better than the MTK (non pro) version.
    I'm pretty sure you can unlock the bootloader easily but that voids the warranty. You don't really need to do it to flash a clean ROM, though.
    For the Google Apps you just download an app called GApps which helps install everything.

I'd suggest you buying it where it's cheaper, as long as it is a big store, on geekbuying they've good prices and cheap express shipping.

Just make sure you get the 3Gb RAM version as there is also one with 2Gb.

• Advertisement

^^^

Thank you very much for your help.

Where is this app gapps that installs Google play store? Never heard of it in an app before I've always had to flash it via recovery.

You'd need an unlocked bootloader to flash another ROM too.

Can someone give me/direct me to instructions on flashing a MIUI global rom onto these devices so?

Give it to me like I'm an idiot. Come at me. I'm all ears.

XDA is where all the information is at. You'll have walkthrough guides there where you can't go wrong. On my phone so can't link easily.

Can someone give me/direct me to instructions on flashing a MIUI global rom onto these devices so?

Give it to me like I'm an idiot. Come at me. I'm all ears.

http://en.miui.com/a-232.html

That's if you're coming from MiUi, for recovery flashing just Google it, anyone here is only going to send you a link anyways. Its really easy to do.

There's no GApps app, I think the cwm app let's you download it and will reboot recovery and flash it for you, but that doesn't work on any China device I've ever used. You need to flash it manually.
    *edit* I stand corrected as per the post below. I don't believe that it installs them as system apps.

Where is this app gapps that installs Google play store? Never heard of it in an app before I've always had to flash it via recovery.

You'd need an unlocked bootloader to flash another ROM too.

Pretty easy guide to install Google apps:

http://en.miui.com/thread-3998-1-1.html

It's just an apk, you install it and inside you find all the google apps you want.
    It worked on my locked Redmi Note 3.

@myshirt you need to look around for the ROMs but as @RossieMan said, XDA is a good place from where to begin:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

I am a total newb trying to educate myself over past while.

That file list is from 2013, do they auto update themselves after?

I am a total newb trying to educate myself over past while.
    I'm in the same boat as you and I managed to flash a ROM. All you have to do is follow the guides.

I think this app called "Google Installer" is like an app store, it keeps apps updated, but even if they aren't, they will update themselves after you install them.

• Advertisement

They auto update once you sort Play Services and the Play Store

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement