Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

PeteSco wrote: »
    Does the mi4c have a MTK or a Qualcomm processor?

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 Hexa Core

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Has anyone used any of the Chinese phones with a gear VR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

Allyall wrote: »
    I asked because I've heard some issues caused from MTK processors, but since it's a qualcomm, I've no idea.

@cmac2009 try going to Settings > Additional Settings > Battery & performance > Manage apps battery usage > Choose apps

Then choose the app and switch it to Custom > Stay connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭cmac2009

PeteSco wrote: »
    I asked because I've heard some issues caused from MTK processors, but since it's a qualcomm, I've no idea.

@cmac2009 try going to Settings > Additional Settings > Battery & performance > Manage apps battery usage > Choose apps

Then choose the app and switch it to Custom > Stay connected.

Pete you legend that seems to have done the trick. Spent hours looking for a fix online and trying different options. Probably the only setting I didn't try. Cheers mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭mightyreds

just ordered a redmi note 3 from geekbuying with DHL shipping, am I gonna get hit with massive charges now for customs and DHL's charge on top

• Advertisement

mightyreds wrote: »
    just ordered a redmi note 3 from geekbuying with DHL shipping, am I gonna get hit with massive charges now for customs and DHL's charge on top

If you didn't choose an EU Warehouse, unfortunately yes.
    DHL will also charge you €12.50 handling charge.

The prices vary on version and colour, so I'm not going to guess which version you went for, but at the least (cheapest version) expect to pay ~ €51 at the door.
    You could cancel it and order from Oppomart (for example) - No Duty/Vat - http://www.oppomart.com/xiaomi/redmi-note3.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭mightyreds

If you didn't choose an EU Warehouse, unfortunately yes.
    DHL will also charge you €12.50 handling charge.

The prices vary on version and colour, so I'm not going to guess which version you went for, but at the least (cheapest version) expect to pay ~ €51 at the door.
    You could cancel it and order from Oppomart (for example) - No Duty/Vat - http://www.oppomart.com/xiaomi/redmi-note3.html

Its already been shipped damn I didn't see an option for European warehouse when buying, checked again there still don't see it.
    I seen people here say it was a good site only thought of customs now

mightyreds wrote: »
    Its already been shipped damn I didn't see an option for European warehouse when buying, checked again there still don't see it.
    I seen people here say it was a good site only thought of customs now

You could try and cancel. I think you may be able to.
    They are a good site, just can be a bit expensive from China for a lot of stuff. It often seems like they have EU prices (after vat added), but they are Chinese pre-shipping, pre-vat items.

http://www.geekbuying.com/help/FAQ/i_want_to_cancel_an_order_placed_wrongly

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

Having said I didn't want a chinese phone I recently came across the Doogee Homtom ht6 which has an amazing battery and ok specs for a reasonable price on amazon. Also looked at the lenovo vibe p1 but it is nearly twice the price. Anyone have either phone or can advise which is better? Would rather buy from someone like amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Having said I didn't want a chinese phone I recently came across the Doogee Homtom ht6 which has an amazing battery and ok specs for a reasonable price on amazon. Also looked at the lenovo vibe p1 but it is nearly twice the price. Anyone have either phone or can advise which is better? Would rather buy from someone like amazon.

Doogee make decent phones that don't break the bank.I recently got the X6 Pro as I needed a new phone that didn't break the bank.Cost me €105 from Amazon as my old phone completely gave up the ghost.The X6 is a grand phone for the price.

For the same price as the Homtom you can get the Smart Ultra 6 on Amazon with higher specs,you'll get an unlock code on eBay for about €3.50.
    Another is the Umi eMax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

Thanks Zerks for the reply. Glad to hear they are ok. I did look at the umi emax but it doesn't run lollipop and has a smaller batter. The smart ultra doesn't have the battery capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Cubot H1 has a large capacity battery also.I think there's a software update for the Umi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Got doogee x5 pro recently and phone is pretty decent for the price and am with tesco mobile problem I have is its not logging my missed dialled or received calls I've tried call log monitor app and even this isn't logging any1 came across this before or know a fix thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

anyone have a Redmi note 2 on Tesco mobile? Any problems? Was thinking of pulling the trigger next week...

anyone have a Redmi note 2 on Tesco mobile? Any problems? Was thinking of pulling the trigger next week...

I had. No problems, But I switched back to 48months because it suited me better. I found Tescos limited text messages to be annoying.

Thanks Allyall, I'm on 300msgs and 300txts and 500mb data for €20(I never use it all lol), but contract up at end of month, so changing to payg and unlimited text and msgs for €15 a month with 1gb data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not to go way off topic. Chances are you might go over 1gb no? Not a lot these days and theres better value out there that includes way more.

GBX wrote: »
    Not to go way off topic. Chances are you might go over 1gb no? Not a lot these days and theres better value out there that includes way more.
    Nah, wifi in work and at home:D, never really use much data...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

That's an awful bundle deal, that data wouldn't last me 2 days.

Much better value to be had now, payg is even better than that!

GBX wrote: »

It's not off topic at all, I wouldn't have thought.
    It would be one of the main things to look at when buying a Chinese or any unbranded phone.
    I'm not sure of the better offers, I haven't looked in a while, but to compare the €15 per month - 48months
    500 mobile mins, All mobile Unlimited texts, 1GB internet and 20 landline minutes

The Tesco unlimited text is only unlimited texts to other tesco mobile phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

It's not off topic at all, I wouldn't have thought.
    It would be one of the main things to look at when buying a Chinese or any unbranded phone.
    I'm not sure of the better offers, I haven't looked in a while, but to compare the €15 per month - 48months
    500 mobile mins, All mobile Unlimited texts, 1GB internet and 20 landline minutes

Three €20 PAYG - Unlimited data, Unlimited Any Network Texts, Unlimited Weekend Calls (Mobile and Landline) plus you keep the €20 to spend as you see fit (including Google Play carrier billing).

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Pete you legend that seems to have done the trick. Spent hours looking for a fix online and trying different options. Probably the only setting I didn't try. Cheers mate

Nice! Glad I could help. :)

Thanks Zerks for the reply. Glad to hear they are ok. I did look at the umi emax but it doesn't run lollipop and has a smaller batter. The smart ultra doesn't have the battery capacity.
    I wouldn't go with UMi, I don't trust the brand, also the UMi Touch is already on sale, costs about the same and it is much better.
    zerks wrote: »
    The Cubot H1 has a large capacity battery also.I think there's a software update for the Umi.
    I don't know much about Cubot but the H2 is coming out so I'd get that one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Apologies if this was asked before (read a lot of posts and didn't see it) but how do these Chinese phones compare to top end phones such as the Sony Z5, Samsung S6, HTC M9 etc??

The specs on some of them look great but how do they perform in the real world if anyone who owns one can advise?

They perform as well as any of them, may not have as long a life, but I couldn't say for sure as I've never owned either for longer than 18 months.
    The Chinese phones may not always have the best support, but they are often a fraction of the price.
    The better ones do have as good support and can be as expensive.

You can compare them on this site - Kimovil.com

Pick a phone and select the "vs" on the left of it to compare it with others.

For example:
    http://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/htc-one-m9,oneplus-2,samsung-galaxy-s6-32gb,sony-xperia-z5

antodeco wrote: »
    Has anyone used any of the Chinese phones with a gear VR?
    Do you mean Samsung Gear VR or any VR headset?

True, but you keep your €15 and you can get unlimited text add on for €10 and 1gb data add on for €5: hence all calls and texts with 1gb data for €15:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Hi all!

I just ordered the redmi note 3 from oppomart. Does anyone know what plug type it comes with or do you need to request a UK plug?

Hi all!

I just ordered the redmi note 3 from oppomart. Does anyone know what plug type it comes with or do you need to request a UK plug?

They'll give you an adapter with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

This Elephone P9000 looks good for the price. Getting largely positive reviews aswell. God knows there are some of these phones excellent on paper, and apparently not good at all once you dig that bit deeper.

Only issue with this Elephone is when the hell will it ship at all. Shifting goal posts on the end of this flash sale, seems to be constantly only 2 days left. Concerned also that the spec on it was the subject of many changes. Were talking decacore at one stage even, now octacore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement