Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Thanks Allyall, I'm on 300msgs and 300txts and 500mb data for €20(I never use it all lol), but contract up at end of month, so changing to payg and unlimited text and msgs for €15 a month with 1gb data.

Also if youre buying the phone unlocked check out all the sim free plans because that can save some real money too.

Im on iD and for €20 it's 100 sms 100 mins 20GB data and 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Pulled the trigger on the redmi note 2 last night:-) Comes with gel case and screen protector and UK/EU rom with google play installed.....roll on next week:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Pulled the trigger on the redmi note 2 last night:-) Comes with gel case and screen protector and UK/EU rom with google play installed.....roll on next week:-)

Where did you order from and what price?

A little bit dearer as opposed to where?

• Advertisement

A little bit dearer as opposed to where?
    Ordering direct from China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

myshirt wrote: »
    This Elephone P9000 looks good for the price. Getting largely positive reviews aswell. God knows there are some of these phones excellent on paper, and apparently not good at all once you dig that bit deeper.

Only issue with this Elephone is when the hell will it ship at all. Shifting goal posts on the end of this flash sale, seems to be constantly only 2 days left. Concerned also that the spec on it was the subject of many changes. Were talking decacore at one stage even, now octacore.

I believe there are around 2 weeks left. It's coming :D

I don't really love it though, I'm more interested in the Doogee F7 with the Helio X20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

PadraigL wrote: »
    Have a look at this as my daughter just bought it to replace her motor g which was the first model.
    She only has it a day and she loves it. Camera is very decent. Back camera is 13mpx and front is 8mpx. Supports 4g 800MHz. WiFi is better or stronger than the motor g, it pick up more signals. Google was already installed and no Chinese apps at all. App content was really light. All social app (Facebook, spotify, snapshot, instegram, whatsapp, viber, etc) work including her banking app. She bought it on Amazon Spain. It arrived in 5 days with no customs or extras.

It cost €127 deliverd.

The "kimovil" site does not give all specs as it has a hall sensor and can access 5GHz WiFi. The battery has fast charging.

http://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-leagoo-elite-5

A friend of mine ordered this on my recommendation (127 E, amazon.de, arrived with UPS in about a week). I got to play with it today to set it up for her. Lovely phone for the price, nice and nippy, hardly any bloatware. The back may feel a bit flimsy, and I'm not sure how well it would withstand frequent opening and closing, but then, she won't be doing that :P.
    The screen is crisp and good quality, the build quality (apart from the back) feels decent and nothing wobbles :P. Camera seems excellent as well. All in all, a very decent phone for the price. It also supports one standard size and one micro sized SIM, so no SIM size change was needed - plus a slot for a SD card.
    Had an OTA update waiting as well.
    She certainly was a very happy camper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

morgana wrote: »
    A friend of mine ordered this on my recommendation (127 E, amazon.de, arrived with UPS in about a week). I got to play with it today to set it up for her. Lovely phone for the price, nice and nippy, hardly any bloatware. The back may feel a bit flimsy, and I'm not sure how well it would withstand frequent opening and closing, but then, she won't be doing that :P.
    The screen is crisp and good quality, the build quality (apart from the back) feels decent and nothing wobbles :P. Camera seems excellent as well. All in all, a very decent phone for the price. It also supports one standard size and one micro sized SIM, so no SIM size change was needed - plus a slot for a SD card.
    Had an OTA update waiting as well.
    She certainly was a very happy camper :)

FYI; The current update will get rid of notifications for whatsapp and snapchat. Leagoo recommend to disable battery master, which worked.
    So impressed with the phone ordered one directly from China (aliexpress) for €84. Taking a chance on customs. Should arrive in 2/3 weeks. Let you know when it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭90sBla

Umi Zero in excellent condition for sale. €45 inc postage. Inc box , charger, leather flip case etc.
    It needs someone who can install a custom recovery and flash a new rom to bypass this security code that appeared when my sister gave this phone to me. I put in a new sim and it wants a code. Was quoted 35 by phone repair shop in town to flash recovery + ROM etc. Not worth it. I already have a great phone , this was to be a back up.

Edit: normally im good at these things but currently only have a chromebook so I cant really fiddle about with it myself
    m.imgur.com/a/UCPq1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

So if any of you remember I face planted my Xiaomi the 2nd day I had it and had to buy a Oukitel K6000 due to lack of funds, anyway I had a bit to spare from saving for a house so bought a Asus X005, http://www.etotalk.com/asus-x005-pegasus-5000mah-gold_p13372.html 222 with delivery though ill get stung for customs no doubt. Really looking forward to this arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Got my Xiaomi MI4C during the week, nice little phone very happy with it. I flashed the developer ROM from here http://en.miui.com/download-293.html and installed Play Store etc. Twitter won't work for me though for some reason. Anybody have experience with other ROMs such as the one on the Xiaomi EU forums?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Bought a Cubot X15 to replace my Vodafone Smart Ultra 6; only had it two days but I'm very impressed with it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Hayezer wrote: »
    Got my Xiaomi MI4C during the week, nice little phone very happy with it. I flashed the developer ROM from here http://en.miui.com/download-293.html and installed Play Store etc. Twitter won't work for me though for some reason. Anybody have experience with other ROMs such as the one on the Xiaomi EU forums?

Did you have a supplier installed custom ROM for multi language?

A lot reporting that when you try update away from this to official rom via updater on this that you'll brick it.

Any truth there? What did yours come with and how did you go about flashing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

PadraigL wrote: »
    FYI; The current update will get rid of notifications for whatsapp and snapchat. Leagoo recommend to disable battery master, which worked.
    So impressed with the phone ordered one directly from China (aliexpress) for €84. Taking a chance on customs. Should arrive in 2/3 weeks. Let you know when it arrives.

Anyone having issues with Google Play music crashing on a Leagoo ? Just cycles the phone mine is an Elite 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

So if any of you remember I face planted my Xiaomi the 2nd day I had it and had to buy a Oukitel K6000 due to lack of funds, anyway I had a bit to spare from saving for a house so bought a Asus X005, http://www.etotalk.com/asus-x005-pegasus-5000mah-gold_p13372.html 222 with delivery though ill get stung for customs no doubt. Really looking forward to this arriving.

Jaysus, you must be loaded!! You saved enough to buy a house and had some left over to buy that!!!

Am still waiting on the Elephone M3 to be available, not sure I should buy it but I have talked myself into wanting it!!

Are you sure that phone is WCDMA and not just TD-SCDMA ??

What would be considered the cream of the crop of these Chinese phones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

What would be considered the cream of the crop of these Chinese phones?

It all depends on how much you want to spend, I don't like going over the 200euro mark (or not by much if I do).:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

eamonnq wrote: »
    It all depends on how much you want to spend, I don't like going over the 200euro mark (or not by much if I do).:D

Yeah, would agree, I can't see the point. Maybe use the phone for a year and if possible, move it on for a few quid.

They can go up as expensive as an iPhone/Samsung/Sony etc.

OnePlus 2 for ~€350 is good, but I wouldn't spend that.
    Xiaomi Mi5 for ~€450 same
    Etc.

So what would yous recommend for around the 200 mark?

I've a Sony Z3 so it would have to be better phone than that.

I've 6 months left on me meteor contact but rather go payg when it's up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Xiaomi Mi5 is definitely one of the best, or one of the ASUS Zenphones, but they're ugly as hell :pac:

Check kimovil.com and hit all the sliders up fairly high and see what comes out.

The Meizu MX5 Pro is fairly high end too.

Still kicking myself over that stupid kick starter phone and not buying a Meizu MX4.

Did anyone else here back the Ubik Uno?

*edit* You're going to have to search for a phone better than the Z3, are you joking? Never mind for €200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Hongkong Goldway are having a sale at the minute
    Some great prices there, even after Duty if you get hit.

http://goldway.aliexpress.com/store/311331

(I think it's mostly Xiaomi)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Pyrrhic

I have a Jiayu F2 a good while now, no complaints excellent phone.
    Recently I updated SuperUser, which is the rooting software I assume?

Since the update I have been getting random Chinese ad notifications from a weird app which is definitely bloatware.
    I'm fine with Windows OS's and general computing but not so much on android.
    I'm worried now for Spyware or something worse.

Here are images of the process/app: http://imgur.com/a/OJrMC
    It won't let me force stop or uninstall.

What should I do lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

myshirt wrote: »
    Did you have a supplier installed custom ROM for multi language?

A lot reporting that when you try update away from this to official rom via updater on this that you'll brick it.

Any truth there? What did yours come with and how did you go about flashing it?

Yeah it came with a supplier installed custom ROM and I used updater with no issues!

*edit* You're going to have to search for a phone better than the Z3, are you joking? Never mind for €200

Don't quite get what you're saying here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Don't quite get what you're saying here?

Z3 is a very high end phone, there are only a handful that are outright better than it. None of them cost close to €200 from what I'm aware of.

I don't keep up with android as much nowadays so I could be wrong, but I'd be very surprised if you can match the Z3 for under €300.

I was a little brash, apologies.

I just thought because the Z3 is about 2 years old at this stage, technology would have moved on a bit.

Just did a comparison between the Z3, meizu pro 5 and xiaomi mi5 and there is very little between them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Where can you get Mi5 for under 200? Or 300?

They are all 400 euro phones to be fair.

I wasn't saying you could get them for 200 quid, I was confirming the point made by Digital Solitude that the Z3 is up there with the best Chinese phones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

eamonnq wrote: »
    Jaysus, you must be loaded!! You saved enough to buy a house and had some left over to buy that!!!

Am still waiting on the Elephone M3 to be available, not sure I should buy it but I have talked myself into wanting it!!

Are you sure that phone is WCDMA and not just TD-SCDMA ??

Yeh I checked the bands to be sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement