Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish language is failing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Ok then... following your own point... I have to assume that when you implied people who can't deal with Ordinary Level Irish have no place in third level, what you actually meant wasn't that they weren't able for it, but that in fact they simply wouldn't try hard enough to succeed at third level? Never mind the fact that all the rest of their marks might be just fine?

Take my friend's son, for example. Got more than enough points to do Biology in Maynooth, gets told he can't gain entry because he only did Foundation level Irish. Has to repeat the year and get Irish grinds to get the required marks which have zero relevance to his science degree. For you, based on what you've posted so far, the fact that he wasn't trying hard enough (i.e. your belief) should rule him out of third level despite his perfectly good marks in other areas?

I couldn't grasp Physics either. I didn't try hard enough I guess. Do you believe the whole concept of aptitudes is just made up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Aineoil wrote: »
    I am certainly re-railing this thread but have you any idea ideas about the amount

of the school day is wasted on communion and confirmation preparation?

Yes, many ideas! A lot, in the appropriate years, is the answer but for further discussion you might want to head to the Atheists and Agnostics forum, as there are a number of threads open that cover this topic and you'd get better information there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Duolingo is the best of a bad bunch when it comes to learning Irish. One of the problems that really hurts uptake of the language is the poor, poor learning resources available for it. Sure, there's going to the Gaeltacht or night courses, but a lot of language learners like to start out with education closer to home, where they feel more able to go at their own pace. Auto-didactic education, really. Books on the subject are filled with grammatical rules that constitute a very unnatural way of learning anything. It's declarative learning, if anything, knowing lists rather than really being able to apply their contents. I say, that if the Irish government were to invest in researching how to make one proper, naturally taught, Irish course, and published it for all, free of charge, we wouldn't need Irish in schools. Instead we have Liam O Maonlai asking us to repeat phrases against the backdrop of serene music and falling rain, but is exactly the kind of rote learning that really turns people off, IMO.

I've said it before, if you take a look at someone like Michel Thomas, with his audio courses, he has the right way of teaching languages. Building from the elemental blocks of a language with 'I have', 'I want' 'I know' 'I know how' 'Do you want?' etc. etc. building it up very steadily with conjugation, placement of pronouns, asking his students on the tape and the listener how to construct sentences with the words you learn and so on until, in a couple of hours, if not less, you're able to conjure some pretty impressive sentences that express the basic things most of us need to say every day. THAT is how you teach a language, IMO. Exceptions to rules can be learned later as one goes, and it's okay to make mistakes now. That's how you learn more deeply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

mickstupp wrote: »
    Ok then... following your own point... I have to assume that when you implied people who can't deal with Ordinary Level Irish have no place in third level, what you actually meant wasn't that they weren't able for it, but that in fact they simply wouldn't try hard enough to succeed at third level? Never mind the fact that all the rest of their marks might be just fine?

Take my friend's son, for example. Got more than enough points to do Biology in Maynooth, gets told he can't gain entry because he only did Foundation level Irish. Has to repeat the year and get Irish grinds to get the required marks which have zero relevance to his science degree. For you, based on what you've posted so far, the fact that he wasn't trying hard enough (i.e. your belief) should rule him out of third level despite his perfectly good marks in other areas?

I couldn't grasp Physics either. I didn't try hard enough I guess. Do you believe the whole concept of aptitudes is just made up?

Well he did pass the second time.
    Aptitude and Attitude gets you the good grades.
    Attitude on its own will get you a pass in any Ordinary Level subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

It's time to stop the pretence and stop wasting resources on another failed government project.
    Like religion, Irish shouldn't be compulsory. That way people who choose to learn it will actually enjoy learning and using it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Whatever personal problems or opinions people have with regard to the Irish language, it has nothing to do with how it is taught. Irish people are a group very lazy when it comes to languages other than English. When you people mostly moving to UK, Aus, Canada, or US it is clear that the best teaching in the world could not change the situation. There is no interest in learning Irish, just as there is no interest in learning any other language than English. Irish is no different than German, French, Mandarin. There are of course exceptions, but the issues are around languages in general in Ireland. UK is no different. There are also a lot self deluded people I think (anecdotally) that say they speak a language, including Irish, but in reality cannot.

Icepick wrote: »
    It's time to stop the pretence and stop wasting resources on another failed government project.
    Like religion, Irish shouldn't be compulsory. That way people who choose to learn it will actually enjoy learning and using it.

How can a child in primary school decide what subject they study.
    Deluded thinking.

He hasn't done it yet. His repeat LC is coming up. Last year he got more than enough points for the university course of his choice. His option, as far as I can gather, if he doesn't pass OL Irish this time, is just to go to TCD. He doesn't want TCD. He lives near Maynooth. But I don't think TCD have that stupid arbitrary requirement. Having Irish as a compulsory requirement is preventing students from gaining the education they want in this country. That's what was denied pages ago.
    Aptitude and Attitude gets you the good grades.
    That's not what you said before when you discounted aptitude altogether. Attitude alone will not get you a pass in any Ordinary level subject. Do you remember the insane workload on students in the Leaving Cert? Try telling them that the problem is them. That they're just not trying hard enough. That they've the wrong attitude. My chemist teacher showed up barely sober most of the time. My fault.

My problem here is the attitude that it's the learner's fault, and by extension that there's no need to change the system. The assumption is that if people gave a damn they'd be fluent. That attitude is why the system is in complete stagnation. It's the attitude of people who don't want to overhaul the system because for them there's nothing wrong with it. This could be a nation filled with fluent Irish speakers, but taking the view that it's a student's own fault if they can't learn it properly is a great way to alienate people.

If people want to breathe life into the language then change is necessary, and attitudes like yours need to go.

dissed doc wrote: »
    Whatever personal problems or opinions people have with regard to the Irish language, it has nothing to do with how it is taught.
    Yes it does. Compare the Irish textbooks used in schools to those for French, German or any other language. I firmly believe that if someone sat down and took a French textbook as a model for teaching Irish, we'd all be far more adept at the language. I have absolutely no doubt. But it's not taught like a foreign language. It's taught as if we have an innate ability to understand it. Which is utterly ludicrous.

dissed doc wrote: »
    Irish is no different than German, French, Mandarin

There are far more cognates in German and French (and Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese and Italian) with English which make them easier to learn for English speakers. Some things you come across in Irish are pretty alien to speakers of regular English in Ireland. Irish is a language that comes from a whole other branch of the Indo-European family. A fact which should be considered when figuring out how to teach it effectively to mainly English-speaking people.

I'd say Mandarin would be harder than Irish, though.

• Advertisement

He hasn't done it yet. His repeat LC is coming up. Last year he got more than enough points for the university course of his choice. His option, as far as I can gather, if he doesn't pass OL Irish this time, is just to go to TCD. He doesn't want TCD. He lives near Maynooth. But I don't think TCD have that stupid arbitrary requirement. Having Irish as a compulsory requirement is preventing students from gaining the education they want in this country. That's what was denied pages ago.

That's not what you said before when you discounted aptitude altogether. Attitude alone will not get you a pass in any Ordinary level subject. Do you remember the insane workload on students in the Leaving Cert? Try telling them that the problem is them. That they're just not trying hard enough. That they've the wrong attitude. My chemist teacher showed up barely sober most of the time. My fault.

My problem here is the attitude that it's the learner's fault, and by extension that there's no need to change the system. The assumption is that if people gave a damn they'd be fluent. That attitude is why the system is in complete stagnation. It's the attitude of people who don't want to overhaul the system because for them there's nothing wrong with it. This could be a nation filled with fluent Irish speakers, but taking the view that it's a student's own fault if they can't learn it properly is a great way to alienate people.

If people want to breathe life into the language then change is necessary, and attitudes like yours need to go.

If you are studying any Foundation subject you are either
    Stupid or Lazy.
    In Foundation Irish they have pictures in the exam questions. Pictures for Christ sake.

Tell your friend stop the mollycoddling.

Stupid and lazy enough to get 480 points in his Leaving Cert last year, more than enough to get into his chosen course. Yup. You're totally right. The fact that he did Foundation Irish completely negates every other achievement. He's clearly not fit for third level education.

Do you not see how your opinion has no basis in reality?

If you are studying any Foundation subject you are either
    Stupid or Lazy.
    In Foundation Irish they have pictures in the exam questions. Pictures for Christ sake.

Tell your friend stop the mollycoddling.

There are people who have done at least one foundation subject and gone on to do rather well in the test of life, making them neither stupid nor lazy. How does
    not showing an aptitude or interest in a subject make a person stupid or lazy? If that is so, then we're all stupid or lazy in one way or another.

Stupid and lazy enough to get 480 points in his Leaving Cert last year, more than enough to get into his chosen course. Yup. You're totally right. The fact that he did Foundation Irish completely negates every other achievement. He's clearly not fit for third level education.

Do you not see how your opinion has no basis in reality?

480 points while failing one.
    Are you for real?

briany wrote: »
    There are people who have done at least one foundation subject and gone on to do rather well in the test of life, making them neither stupid nor lazy. How does
    not showing an aptitude or interest in a subject make a person stupid or lazy? If that is so, then we're all stupid or lazy in one way or another.

You said it - interest.

that is my point - if you are studying Foundation level you have no interest or are a little touched.

480 points while failing one.
    Are you for real?
    He didn't fail. He did Foundation. But that's not enough to get into many university courses which require Ordinary Irish for no good reason. How is this difficult for you to follow. Starting to think you're just winding me up. I guess there's not a hope you'll answer any of the questions asked of you.

He didn't fail. He did Foundation. But that's not enough to get into many university courses which require Ordinary Irish for no good reason. How is this difficult for you to follow. Starting to think you're just winding me up. I guess there's not a hope you'll answer any of the questions asked of you.

So many questions.
    How did he get 480 points and just manage Foundation Irish.
    Did he not know before he did the LC, what he required to enter his preferred biology course.
    Why did not choose Ordinary Level Irish.

I think this Kid was trying to pull a quick one but it backfired on him or your friend is telling porkies.

You said it - interest.

that is my point - if you are studying Foundation level you have no interest or are a little touched.

Swapping 'lazy' for 'no interest'. If those terms are interchangeable, then we're all guilty of being lazy in one way or another. No big deal, so.

Swapping 'lazy' for 'no interest'. If those terms are interchangeable, then we're all guilty of being lazy in one way or another. No big deal, so.

Yes we are. If the people who had no interest in learning Irish were to try again now they would rather enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes we are. If the people who had no interest in learning Irish were to try again now they would rather enjoy it.

Without knowing who you're talking about, how do you know that's true?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

If people had no interest then, and none now, they should be free to continue in that vein, knowing their not studying Irish won't have too many negative consequences. On the other hand, if there are people who've changed their minds, then they should have every resource made available to them. If there were a system where only people who were interested in Irish needed to participate and were well supported, I think it would do far more good for the language than the last 100 years of state education because you'd get a grass roots movement going. A proper one.

But as it is in some cases, the idea that you couldn't get into your chosen University to do, say, Business or Applied Physics without ordinary level Irish makes about as much sense as not being able to get in without having your Grade 5 in piano studies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

How can a child in primary school decide what subject they study.
    Deluded thinking.
    Let the parents choose their child's languages? They already choose the child's religious formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Shep_Dog wrote: »
    Let the parents choose their child's languages? They already choose the child's religious formation.

Choice in Ireland usually means leaving the country to exercise that choice, then coming back afterwards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Yes it does. Compare the Irish textbooks used in schools to those for French, German or any other language. I firmly believe that if someone sat down and took a French textbook as a model for teaching Irish, we'd all be far more adept at the language. I have absolutely no doubt. But it's not taught like a foreign language. It's taught as if we have an innate ability to understand it. Which is utterly ludicrous.

French textbooks are crap. They focus on tourist French - how to order a pain du chocolat at the local boulanger and the like. It's BS. Presumably it's to make it seem more relvant, but I was left with a fairly loose understanding of the fundamentals of the language, not least the vocab.

Oh, they love playing French films with French subtitles as well in school. I learned feck all that way.

Similarly the attempts to make Irish hip, current and cool are cringeworthy. Harry Potter agus an Góblet Tine! The focus on being able to understand the ludicrous different dialects was a pain. Having to pass it to be allowed into Third Level? Well how else would they get people to spend their time learning a useless subject that has been drained of cultural significance?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

French textbooks are crap. They focus on tourist French - how to order a pain du chocolat at the local boulanger and the like. It's BS. Presumably it's to make it seem more relvant, but I was left with a fairly loose understanding of the fundamentals of the language, not least the vocab.

Oh, they love playing French films with French subtitles as well in school. I learned feck all that way.

Similarly the attempts to make Irish hip, current and cool are cringeworthy. Harry Potter agus an Góblet Tine! The focus on being able to understand the ludicrous different dialects was a pain. Having to pass it to be allowed into Third Level? Well how else would they get people to spend their time learning a useless subject that has been drained of cultural significance?

This recurring compaint about the dialects.. I don't get it. Irish was standerdised about 80 years ago. All teachers would have learned the standardised Irish and if you had one from an actual Gaeltacht of a different province, then you should probably count yourself lucky.

Deranged96 wrote: »
    This recurring compaint about the dialects.. I don't get it. Irish was standerdised about 80 years ago. All teachers would have learned the standardised Irish and if you had one from an actual Gaeltacht of a different province, then you should probably count yourself lucky.

Having one from a Gaeltacht could be more a curse than a blessing if they're constantly talking about how they'd say a particular thing back home. You'd have it twice - one in the book and one out of their mouth.

How do people from the Gaeltacht take people coming in, speaking in stilted standardised Irish? Frosty or friendly?

Having one from a Gaeltacht could be more a curse than a blessing if they're constantly talking about how they'd say a particular thing back home. You'd have it twice - one in the book and one out of their mouth.

How do people from the Gaeltacht take people coming in, speaking in stilted standardised Irish? Frosty or friendly?

Given that they make serious cash out of it every summer I'd say they're delighted :P

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

My own experience is that they'll tolerate you. Depends on the person.

One did tell me what drives him nuts is when he gets some lad from Dublin in and he tries to correct him while he's talking. I speak good enough German but I'd never have the balls to correct a native speaker (and definitely not in the middle of a conversatioN!).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

French textbooks are crap. They focus on tourist French - how to order a pain du chocolat at the local boulanger and the like. It's BS.

This! Recently been living in France and in my first week I had to go in and set up a bank account, pages of French and the guy tried explaining stuff I didn't understand. Asking where the library is and telling him about my holiday last year wasnt going to help me :pac:

Too much on teaching languages is like you said, just enough to get you by being a tourist, not enough to hold a proper conversation. You find for someone to really learn it well they need to either have their own tutor (online or in person) or from living in an area and being forced to speak it. Plus a big factor is desire, but then again if it isn't interestingly taught there won't be much desire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

95 per cent of people have no desire to speak irish,in real life,
    so Its forgotten once they leave secondary school.
    Its like the catholic church,
    i reckon we have maybe 10 per cent real catholics,who actually go to mass weekly,
    the rest use it for marriage ,funerals,
    an to get their kids into the local school.

And people use the irish language to get x points for college entry .
    i believe for technical courses ,eg it,programming ,law,medicine,
    the points for irish should be ignored .
    real catholics, and irish speakers are a minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭The Dark Side

Totally ridiculous that we invest so much money and time into a language that died out generations ago. It's particularly criminal the time spent in primary school teaching children Irish that could be far better spent on a language that would have some use in the real world.

The Govt are too spineless to stand up to the Irish language Nazis who persist in this ridiculous charade.

Totally ridiculous that we invest so much money and time into a language that died out generations ago. It's particularly criminal the time spent in primary school teaching children Irish that could be far better spent on a language that would have some use in the real world.

The Govt are too spineless to stand up to the Irish language Nazis who persist in this ridiculous charade.

Is that not a bit of an extreme to say?

riclad wrote: »
    Its like the catholic church,
    i reckon we have maybe 10 per cent real catholics,who actually go to mass weekly,
    the rest use it for marriage ,funerals,
    an to get their kids into the local school.

And people use the irish language to get x points for college entry .
    i believe for technical courses ,eg it,programming ,law,medicine,
    the points for irish should be ignored .
    real catholics, and irish speakers are a minority.

you could argue that for any language we learn, we only use it when necessary (for irish not much necessity, some just like speaking it to each other, and see it as a cultural thing), I know loads of people who learned German, Italian, French and haven't spoken it since leaving school, only if they ever go on holiday will they try remember some and use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

A few years ago when Fine Gael were in opposition, Ends Kenny tabled a proposal to make Irish 'non compulsory' in school (after the Inter Cert)? or maybe it was to be throughout school? . . . anyway, Enda's proposal was attacked and shot down in flames from all directions when the proposal was made public!

I don't have the details to hand, but they were were posted in a previous thread about this very subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Adamocovic wrote: »
    you could argue that for any language we learn, we only use it when necessary (for irish not much necessity, some just like speaking it to each other, and see it as a cultural thing), I know loads of people who learned German, Italian, French and haven't spoken it since leaving school, only if they ever go on holiday will they try remember some and use it.

Where in Ireland can you go and not be able to communicate through English ? People not wanting to speak English is another topic.

• Advertisement

Where in Ireland can you go and not be able to communicate though English ? People not wanting to speak English is another topic.

I never said you would not be able to communicate in English. I said in the brackets that for Ireland it is not the case, I stated its only used if people want to use it (why I said it is not a necissity).

My point was that all other (other than english) languages that are taught in school are not used very often outside of school unless people go on an exchange to the country where they have learned the language, gaeltacht, french equivalents etc or holidays.

I was making a point about the comment

Saying this isnt just solely for irish, majority of students only pick a second language because they need it for college, once done school its forgotton too. (For the majority)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Totally ridiculous that we invest so much money and time into a language that died out generations ago.

Not dead.

At the end of the day there are a lot of factors affecting the state of the Irish langauge. The actual subject (the outline, topics, tasks, methods of learning), the teacher (some would no doubt be better than others), and the student (some with no desire, which is totally fine)

If someone has no interest in learning or speaking, fair enough they shouldnt have to. Maybe it should be made a choice after the Junior Cert in Secondary school. I know people who didn't want to learn it and felt like they were being forced. This isnt good at all.

I fully understand it is not a day to day useful language and more of a cultural novelty to have but it is something I personally value.

I can't see much change happening but there needs to be some sort of reform on the teaching of it to make it more enjoyable and practical. More of an aim at teaching people to hold conversations rather than writing book reports in it! That's something I don't see myself ever doing and that was one of the things focused on the most, writing reports on a book and play etc.

EDIT: Also to follow up I think a lot of the way we teach languages here is written rather than spoken. I found I could write understandable and decent French but couldn't get prononciations right at all so it wasnnt understandable when spoken. People I have met from other countries it is the opposite good English spoken rather than written.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I work with a large multinational and all I hear all day is other languages. Irish has come handy few times , especially when chatting to friends, and don't want people to know what your saying. Chonaic me cailín deas isteach san bialann.

I agree the what Irish is taught is wrong, as some said earlier we need to take a leaf of the Welsh book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

U can get a job with a company ,based partly on fluency in german,
    french, etc they are living languages ,
    People choose to learn french etc
    We are in the eu,
    a foreign language is an asset you might use at some point in your life .
    i learned french at school ,i could at least read frenc documnents if it was part of my job.
    People forget irish because we all speak english,
    theres hardly any practical use to irish unless you are at tg4,rte ,or an irish teacher etc
    ie its part of heir job.
    SO we need to spend billions speaking irish so maybe 100 people can get a job in tg4,or rte .
    And a few people speak irish when they are around non irish speakers .
    That,s not a very practical use of resources .
    A foreign company may give you a job ,
    say theres 2 people applying ,
    the person who as french, german on their cv may get the job,
    all other things being equal .

Outside ireland employers will give you zero credit for having irish
    on your cv ,
    they ,ll look at your skills in maths, science, physics etc
    IF 1000,s of students are forced to learn a subject it should have some practical value or application in real life ,
    or be of some value in getting a job .

• Advertisement

We are in the eu,
    i learned french at school ,i could at least read frenc documnents if it was part of my job.
    theres hardly any practical use to irish unless you are at tg4,rte ,or an irish teacher etc
    ie its part of heir job.
    SO we need to spend billions speaking irish so maybe 100 people can get a job in tg4,or rte .

on your cv ,
    IF 1000,s of students are forced to learn a subject it should have some practical value or application in real life ,

http://www.thejournal.ie/eu-legislation-translated-into-irish-costs-e12-million-1197468-Nov2013/

Not entirely true :)

We are in the eu,
    ie its part of heir job.

on your cv ,

I understand your point completely, in terms of spending since it is more of a cultural topic many don't consider the economic effect of it. I agree that they should reduce spending in areas, but I disagree that the language should stop being taught. Fair enough if people don't want to learn it let them choose but it should still be an option in school to learn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

What use is the irish language?

Well, what use is a Tin Whistle, or a violin, or uilleann pipes
    or the ability to dance the Seige of Ennis, or sing a Sean Nos song?

What use are the old irish myths and legends, what use are old abbeys and megalithic tombs...

Irish has a value to some people but not everybody. Forcing people to do it is wrong, but encouraging people to keep it alive is valuable and it enriches our culture and our identity.

My kids are all going to attend a gaelscoil because I think it's really good for their brain development to learn a second language fluently, and in Ireland, the only way to do this is to send them to an irish language school. it won't cost them anything. children who attend irish schools are just as good at english as their peers, but much better at Irish.

My oldest boy is in Juniors and is already well on the road to fluency at no cost to his english language skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not dead.

True.

Just on life-support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

mach1982 wrote: »
    I agree the what Irish is taught is wrong, as some said earlier we need to take a leaf of the Welsh book.
    But we wouldn't understand it... :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Where in Ireland can you go and not be able to communicate through English ? People not wanting to speak English is another topic.

That one would be easy for me, I just start speaking in German. :pac:
    The situation has not arisen yet, but I wonder if there are any German-Irish translators out there. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

We are in the eu,
    ie its part of heir job.

on your cv ,

We'd have to get English right, first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

LordSutch wrote: »
    A few years ago when Fine Gael were in opposition, Ends Kenny tabled a proposal to make Irish 'non compulsory' in school (after the Inter Cert)? or maybe it was to be throughout school? . . . anyway, Enda's proposal was attacked and shot down in flames from all directions when the proposal was made public!

I don't have the details to hand, but they were were posted in a previous thread about this very subject.

If only there was the same amount of outrage and lobbying about our health service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

But we wouldn't understand it... :(

Welsh is completely different. People continued to speak Welsh and English. Irish was replaced with English.

Being factual here no offence meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Welsh is completely different. People continued to speak Welsh and English. Irish was replaced with English.

Being factual here no offence meant.

People continue to speak Irish and English too.

I think he was just making the point that the revivals have been completely different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement