Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish language is failing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    The USA and Australia aren't proper countries? Half of North Africa and the Middle East aren't countries? Most of South and Central America aren't countries?
    Wanna go back and think that one through again?
    And just to be clear, it's only language makes you Irish?

No I do not need to think about it,
    if you have your own language you are a real country,
    If your language is given to you by way of occupation by a foreign power you have to ask, What are you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

If your language is given to you by way of occupation by a foreign power you have to ask, What are you?
    So Brazil, Egypt, the USA, Australia, Argentina etc aren't real countries and have no national identity? Surreal assertion.
    Is India a real country? They use English and a thousand other languages? No, I guess not. China? They have 100 types of "Chinese", some so different they can't say one word to each other. They're out too I guess.
    So about 1/4 of the Earth is "real countries" then. Truly bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I do not think anyone can be confident in their national identity if they cannot speak their own language.

I speak English just fine, thank you very much.

So Brazil, Egypt, the USA, Australia, Argentina etc aren't real countries and have no national identity? Surreal assertion.
    Is India a real country? They use English and a thousand other languages? No, I guess not. So about 1/4 of the Earth is "real countries" then. Truly bizarre.

Sorry you did not like my answer, I assume you thought I did not have one.

USA, Australia, Brazil and Argentina have seen mass immigration into them from their colonial powers.
    In most cases they are speaking their own tongue.

India is not a real country, it is lines drawn on a map by Britain.
    Egypt speaks arabic.

I know you are struggling for a good comeback, bizarre is not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

Language isn't an essential part of national identity at all. This belief is born of the lazy simplism that plagues discussion of quite complex issues in a world full of multinational states and multicultural nations.
    India has 16 official languages and hundreds of local ones. About 19 countries use Spanish as their main or only language. There is no Argentinian language or Chilean language etc.
    There is no Swiss language -you can be Swiss and use German ,French, Italian or Sweizerdeutsch. Similarly no one speaks Belgian. Examples abound around the globe.

A national identity can be a variable amalgam of historical memory, religion, shared values etc. Language may or may not be a large or small component.
    The equation 'one nation'='one language ' simply does not hold.
    Claiming that Gaelic is 'necessary' for an Irish national identity is a palpable nonsense.
    Apart from anything else, identities are not fixed but ever-changing.

• Advertisement

boardise wrote: »
    Language isn't an essential part of national identity at all. This belief is born of the lazy simplism that plagues discussion of quite complex issues in a world full of multinational states and multicultural nations.
    India has 16 official languages and hundreds of local ones. About 19 countries use Spanish as their main or only language. There is no Argentinian language or Chilean language etc.
    There is no Swiss language -you can be Swiss and use German ,French, Italian or Sweizerdeutsch. Similarly no one speaks Belgian. Examples abound around the globe.

A national identity can be a variable amalgam of historical memory, religion, shared values etc. Language may or may not be a large or small component.
    The equation 'one nation'='one language ' simply does not hold.
    Claiming that Gaelic is 'necessary' for an Irish national identity is a palpable nonsense.
    Apart from anything else, identities are not fixed but ever-changing.

There is 2 languages in Ireland -
    You can speak Gaelic, you are Irish
    you only speak English, you are Anglo Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Sorry you did not like my answer, I assume you thought I did not have one.

USA, Australia, Brazil and Argentina have seen mass immigration into them from their colonial powers.
    In most cases they are speaking their own tongue.

Egypt speaks arabic.

I know you are struggling for a good comeback, bizarre is not one.

Most people in the US and Argentina can trace to ancestry to countries other than England and Spain.

Most people in the US and Argentina can trace to ancestry to countries other than England and Spain.

But who colonised and than controlled them for years.

USA - Britain - English
    Argentina - Spain - Spanish
    Brazil - Portugal - Portuguese

etc etc etc

But who colonised and than controlled them for years.

USA - Britain - English
    Argentina - Spain - Spanish
    Brazil - Portugal - Portuguese

etc etc etc
    So what? They've been independent longer than Ireland has. So while they were independent and the Brits were still here, by your rules Ireland was a more "real" country because more of us spoke "our own" language.
    BTW, a heap of countries speak Arabic. But of course you're telling us now none of these are real countries because they don't have "their own" language.

Like I said, if I pay an Eskimo to learn Irish apparently he's magically more Irish than 90%+ of the people here on the island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Ireland is not a real country, it is lines drawn on a map by Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

I suspect this was the thinking around the time of the formation of the State: if you are Irish then naturally you speak Irish. Therefore set up the Irish language curriculum in a way that assumes Irish is already spoken. Teach it like English is taught in England, i.e, a course in literacy and literature rather than language learning.

Then 100 years later wonder why very few speak the language. Wonder also why many have built up a resentment towards it.

The entire Irish language policy is based on this false assumption that if you are Irish you naturally speak Irish. Therefore based on this assumption it is absolutely vital that all documents must be in Irish, otherwise you are denying the right of all Irish people to read documents in their own language.

The false assumption buried below the surface but rarely examined is that we speak Irish in the same way that Italians speak Italian or Germans speak German. It would be ludicrous if official documents in Germany weren't in German so likewise we must have all documents primarily in Irish.

Now of course most Irish language activists will acknowledge that some don't speak it, but this they put down to a bad attitude or laziness.

The irony is that pretending that Irish is natural to the Irish is the biggest obstacle to reviving the language. The reality is that no language is natural to any given population.

We as a country have got our understanding the relationship between language and a country completely wrong.

The French don't speak French because it is their national language. The reverse is the case. French is their national language because it is the language they speak.

I would like to see an end to our national hypocrisy. Either drop Irish as an official language OR work genuinely to revive it. I don't care which.

If we were to work genuinely to revive it then we have to get rid of notions that being Irish means you speak Irish. We have to admit that knowledge of the language is extremely limited in most people despite 12 years of compulsory classes in school. It is limited to the extent that most people would have to start from scratch if they were to learn it properly.

We have to stop distorting figures. The 450,000 children who attend school with compulsory Irish classes are not "speaking Irish on a daily basis". Most of them can't speak Irish in any meaningful sense of the term. Proper research is needed.

We need to stop thinking that a better attitude is needed. This might be true if a small minority were refusing to speak the language that everyone else speaks. But when an entire country does not use a language it is not down to attitude. People don't speak French in France because they are favourably disposed towards the language but because it is the language that is spoken there. Their attitude is irrelevant.

We need to stop listening to Irish language activists and groups like Conradh na Gaelge. They have had their way over the last 100 years. Their way has failed. Irish continued to decline under their watch. And needless to say, for God's sake don't give them any money!

We could decide that a proper revival is impractical. That is fine too. Ironically this would probably lead to more Irish actively spoken in the country without the stultifying effect of current language policy. Let the language enthusiasts themselves be responsible for keeping the language alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

how do you say - i'm happy- in irish

my guess is, tá gáire orm, or tá mé sásta, but neither sound right?

Irish exam today? Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

psinno wrote: »
    Ireland is not a real country, it is lines drawn on a map by Britain.

They obviously can't draw a straight line. Our coastline is a mess.

dlouth15 wrote: »
    I suspect this was the thinking around the time of the formation of the State: if you are Irish then naturally you speak Irish. Therefore set up the Irish language curriculum in a way that assumes Irish is already spoken. Teach it like English is taught in England, i.e, a course in literacy and literature rather than language learning.

Then 100 years later wonder why very few speak the language. Wonder also why many have built up a resentment towards it.

The entire Irish language policy is based on this false assumption that if you are Irish you naturally speak Irish. Therefore based on this assumption it is absolutely vital that all documents must be in Irish, otherwise you are denying the right of all Irish people to read documents in their own language.

The false assumption buried below the surface but rarely examined is that we speak Irish in the same way that Italians speak Italian or Germans speak German. It would be ludicrous if official documents in Germany weren't in German so likewise we must have all documents primarily in Irish.

Now of course most Irish language activists will acknowledge that some don't speak it, but this they put down to a bad attitude or laziness.

The irony is that pretending that Irish is natural to the Irish is the biggest obstacle to reviving the language. The reality is that no language is natural to any given population.

We as a country have got our understanding the relationship between language and a country completely wrong.

The French don't speak French because it is their national language. The reverse is the case. French is their national language because it is the language they speak.

I would like to see an end to our national hypocrisy. Either drop Irish as an official language OR work genuinely to revive it. I don't care which.

If we were to work genuinely to revive it then we have to get rid of notions that being Irish means you speak Irish. We have to admit that knowledge of the language is extremely limited in most people despite 12 years of compulsory classes in school. It is limited to the extent that most people would have to start from scratch if they were to learn it properly.

We have to stop distorting figures. The 450,000 children who attend school with compulsory Irish classes are not "speaking Irish on a daily basis". Most of them can't speak Irish in any meaningful sense of the term. Proper research is needed.

We need to stop thinking that a better attitude is needed. This might be true if a small minority were refusing to speak the language that everyone else speaks. But when an entire country does not use a language it is not down to attitude. People don't speak French in France because they are favourably disposed towards the language but because it is the language that is spoken there. Their attitude is irrelevant.

We need to stop listening to Irish language activists and groups like Conradh na Gaelge. They have had their way over the last 100 years. Their way has failed. Irish continued to decline under their watch. And needless to say, for God's sake don't give them any money!

We could decide that a proper revival is impractical. That is fine too. Ironically this would probably lead to more Irish actively spoken in the country without the stultifying effect of current language policy. Let the language enthusiasts themselves be responsible for keeping the language alive.

You can lie to yourself all you wish, the reason you do not speak Irish is because you cannot or you will not.
    If you cannot, fair enough you tried but if you will not it is you choosing to be an Anglophile.

You say "Anglophile" as if you've managed to find a synonym for "FOOKIN WEST BRIT BASTURD".

I hated Irish class for as long as I can remember. It was about as tedious as the weekly preparation masses for First Communion and Confirmation.

You say "Anglophile" as if you've managed to find a synonym for "FOOKIN WEST BRIT BASTURD".

I hated Irish class for as long as I can remember. It was about as tedious as the weekly preparation masses for First Communion and Confirmation.

Ok which are you -
    not able to learn it or do not want to learn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

Speak for yourself. My identity is secure enough that the language I speak doesn't change it. As said earlier, shouldn't we switch to an exact copy of 900AD Irish society if losing any part of our heritage leaves us so damaged?

I didn't comment on your identity - it's not for me to decide what your identity is?

I don't think that "losing our heritage" is the equivalent of changing our society like that?

Don't understand your argument.
    But it is YOU that is claiming Irish is important because it is part of our heritage... now you're saying it's the only part that's important? Only the language and X, Y, Z are important? Sorta shifting your definition from post to post there.

I never said that Irish language is the only part that's important to Irish identity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

You can lie to yourself all you wish, the reason you do not speak Irish is because you cannot or you will not.
    If you cannot, fair enough you tried but if you will not it is you choosing to be an Anglophile.
    But isn't this what we've had all along. Trying to browbeat people into learning the language. That's worked hasn't it?

briany wrote: »
    Plenty of patriots who didn't know hardly a lick of Irish as well.

The argument being made by some is that we're losing Irish and that's tragic because we're losing part of our identity, or, indeed our soul, as some might put it. We're losing Catholicism as well, as the country is becoming ever more secular, but why wouldn't Catholicism be just as much a part of the Irish identity as Irish is? Catholicism has been here for over 1500 years, the people have fought hard to retain it, it's informed many aspects of daily life and been much more than an ideology. In fact, it's outlasted the Irish language as a relevant thing on most of the island. I say they are historically equally important facets of the culture of the people and for it to be fashionable to bemoan the loss of one and silently cheerlead the loss of another as an irrelevance is a total hypocrisy, in my view. You have to recognise that all facets of culture can become irrelevant, no matter how entrenched they might have once been.

Still think Catholicism isn't relevant to this discussion about whether Irish should be a mandatory subject in schools.

It's an ideology but to claim it is an intrinsic part of Irishness is unfair to non-catholics in my opinion, past and present.

Irish language is a means of communicating unique to Ireland* for centuries - even non-Irish people learned it such as those Ulster settlers you referred to previously.

I accept that culture changes and this includes language- in fact the Irish language isn't a fixed concept either by the way if you look at the evolution of the language over the centuries.
    Plenty of patriots who didn't know hardly a lick of Irish as well.

And which partriots shared the attitudes here to the language?

*And Scotland in varients

• Advertisement

dlouth15 wrote: »
    But isn't this what we've had all along. Trying to browbeat people into learning the language. That's worked hasn't it?

There's no point browbeating anyone into learning anything - that is oppressive.

I don't accept that learning basic Irish as part of a basic education in skills and culture is oppressive.

Ok which are you -

I don't want to learn it. I was quite good at German in secondary school, because at least the curriculum assumes that students are learning it as a foreign language. That's not the case in Irish, thanks to venal boggers.

Honestly, the more I come across the likes of you, who have to restrain yourselves from sneering "lol West Brit" at 95% of the country, the more I hope the language fucks off and dies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Again, I've debunked you're idea as hypocritical and lazy because it required you putting no thought or research into it, and you never disagreed with me.

The post you reply to and dismiss, however, speaks of good research and experience.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I was quite good at German in secondary school, because at least the curriculum assumes that students are learning it as a foreign language. That's not the case in Irish...

Exactly - the expectations of the curriculum are the problem. It doesn't accept that Irish is not the mother tongue of the majority of the population.

That can be changed though and with a bit of political backbone would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Ok which are you -

You make him sound as if he's the exception to the rule, where as in reality it is you (the Irish speaker) who is in the minority within Ireland. Irish as a subject has been a massive failure in the school curriculum since it was introduced post independence. The average person on the street just doesn't speak Irish, yet every single one of them have gone through the process of being taught through the medium of compulsory Irish, from primary school right up to leaving cert, yet most of cvant speak it apart from the cupla focal which hardly counts for diddly squat in any proper meaningful conversation.

So what next? I predict at least another twenty years before the penny finally drops. "We do not speak Irish" and Irish is not our 1st spoken language.

Currently Irish is the 3rd most spoken language in Ireland behind, 1 English, 2 Polish, 3 Irish, and with Chinese/Msndarin hot on heels for 3rd place in the next decade if not sooner!

So why must all children be made to spend soooo much time doing Irish?

Grayson wrote: »
    But It could be said that it is an ideology. Thee are undoubtedly people for whom it is an ideology. No-one is saying it's tied to religion. Just that like religion it can be considered an ideology.

That's an interesting question - whether Irish is an ideology?

Any religion, history, politics, philosophy is by definition an ideology.

Regarding, these people for which Irish is an ideology you're referring to, I would say that their politics is an ideology (a politics of turning Ireland into a nation of solo Irish speakers etc...) but the language itself is not an ideology - it's just a language, a tool to communicate.

It would be a pity if Irish were monopolised by these people.

LordSutch wrote: »
    So why must all children be made to spend soooo much time doing Irish?

As I've said before - it's for nostalgia. It's delusional to claim otherwise.

Now, whether that is a good thing is a separate issue - it depends on what you think that primary/secondary education should achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭indioblack

So all my relatives in Cork are Anglophiles? Can't wait to tell them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

I think this is my most successful thread.

Dem feelz*

*English. For all those Irish speakers out there.

• Advertisement

Ah, I get it now. You don't know the difference between Anglophone and Anglophile...
    So the USA, Canada, India, Australia etc are "anglophile"? Even if they've had rather brutal wars with England?

Dughorm wrote: »
    I never said that Irish language is the only part that's important to Irish identity?
    Well tell us what is then. Not going to are you, because anything close to a proper answer will be instantly crushed and you know it.

indioblack wrote: »
    So all my relatives in Cork are Anglophiles? Can't wait to tell them!
    And I guess any IRA men who died fighting the English but couldn't speak Irish were Anglophiles all along too!

Well tell us what is then. Not going to are you, because anything close to a proper answer will be instantly crushed and you know it.

What is or isn't Irish identity isn't (i) for me to decide and (ii) relevant to this discussion about whether Irish should be compulsory in schools.

I don't think your post recognises either that there might be Irish identities

You still haven't explained why you think it is ok to spend mandatory time in Primary schools on learning Irish but not secondary school.

That doesn't appear a consistent position to me given your reason that effectively "Irish is a waste of time".

Also when you say that "a proper answer will be instantly crushed" - this doesn't make sense - how could a "proper" answer be instantly crushed if it's a "proper" answer?

What is or isn't Irish identity isn't (i) for me to decide and (ii) relevant to this discussion about whether Irish should be compulsory in schools.

You still haven't explained why you think it is ok to spend mandatory time in Primary schools on learning Irish but not secondary school.

That doesn't appear a consistent position to me given your reason that effectively "Irish is a waste of time".

Also when you say that "a proper answer will be instantly crushed" - this doesn't make sense - how could a "proper" answer be instantly crushed if it's a "proper" answer?
    You know full well what I said. Any definitive answer as to what Irish identity IS will be immediately squashed. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. And you know well that's what I meant by "proper". You're not fooling anybody. Hence you've now meandered off into the quite hilarious "Irish identities". What next? Every person in the world has their own identity perhaps? So why try to impose or define these identities? What would be the purpose? How can you then tell anybody that the Irish language should be part of any "Irish identity"?
    BTW, I already answered the primary/secondary thing. More for an easy life than anything for now. Once it's out of secondary I'd be all for removing it completely. You are 100% correct: it is a waste of time to force anybody to learn it at any level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

I do not think anyone can be confident in their national identity if they cannot speak their own language.

Isn't this a non sensical statement?

I mean....If it's their national identity, then by definition they see themselves as having close links to or an affinity with that nation. So, of course they're comfortable with it.

• Advertisement

You really need to buy a dictionary....an English one.

A country is "a nation with its own government occupying a particular territory "

Language has nothing to do with it.

Your own notions of what constitute "nationhood" will not alter the meaning the rest of the English speaking world assigns to the term.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

10 internet points who recognises this:
    The President’s speech: ‘- Gaels! he said, it delights my Gaelic heart to be here today speaking Gaelic with you at this Gaelic feis in the centre of the Gaeltacht. May I state that I am a Gael. I’m Gaelic from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet - Gaelic front and back, above and below. Likewise, you are all truly Gaelic. We are all Gaelic Gaels of Gaelic lineage. He who is Gaelic, will be Gaelic evermore. I myself have spoken not a word except Gaelic since the day I was born - just like you - and every sentence I’ve ever uttered has been on the subject of Gaelic. If we’re truly Gaelic, we must constantly discuss the question of the Gaelic revival and the question of Gaelicism. There is no use in having Gaelic, if we converse in it on non-Gaelic topics. He who speaks Gaelic but fails to discuss the language question is not truly Gaelic in his heart; such conduct is of no benefit to Gaelicism because he only jeers at Gaelic and reviles the Gaels. There is nothing in this life so nice and so Gaelic as truly true Gaelic Gaels who speak in true Gaelic Gaelic about the truly Gaelic language. I hereby declare this feis to be Gaelically open! Up the Gaels! Long live the Gaelic tongue! / When this noble Gael sat down on his Gaelic backside, a great tumult and hand-clapping arose throughout the assembly.’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Most young children aren't that focused and don't usually have a well developed sense of themselves or what they want to do. For that reason, it makes sense to have a set curriculum for them before they hit their teenage years, which is typically when most people begin to find the thing they're interested in, their course in life. At that point, it makes less sense to continue with compulsory education in pretty much any subject because students should be free to explore their options. At that point, Irish should be become an option, along with everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Ok which are you - not able to learn it or do not want to learn it.

From your posts I'm trying to figure out what you actually want for the language. You either want everyone forced to learn it in the hope they might succeed and join you in the glow of true Irishness, or you want them forced to learn it and fail so you can have the glow all to yourself and be gloriously smug about it.

Either way the idea that you have the right to define or question someone else's national identity based on their choice of language is bollocks and I think you're extremely lucky that previous posters haven't taken more offence.

Your superiority complex is a wonder to behold as it is one of the reasons that Irish speakers have a bad name amongst many in this country, thankfully I'm lucky enough to know plenty of Irish speakers who don't treat me like a lesser Irishman and it's such a shame that your attitude exists because the imaginary codependency you've placed between the language and Irish identity is doing far more damage to the language than any 'laziness' or 'oafishness' but of course you can't or won't see that in the responses you've received, but in your defence English is only your second language.

The argument being made by some is that we're losing Irish and that's tragic because we're losing part of our identity, or, indeed our soul, as some might put it. We're losing Catholicism as well, as the country is becoming ever more secular, but why wouldn't Catholicism be just as much a part of the Irish identity as Irish is? Catholicism has been here for over 1500 years, the people have fought hard to retain it, it's informed many aspects of daily life and been much more than an ideology. In fact, it's outlasted the Irish language as a relevant thing on most of the island. I say they are historically equally important facets of the culture of the people and for it to be fashionable to bemoan the loss of one and silently cheerlead the loss of another as an irrelevance is a total hypocrisy, in my view. You have to recognise that all facets of culture can become irrelevant, no matter how entrenched they might have once been.

Very well said.

Culture is an evolving thing. The Irish language is probably already approaching the end of its lifecycle. It's natural to feel a little nostalgic when things change but attempting a King Canute usually doesn't help!

In practical terms, I find nationality only matters in the sense that those of the same nationality tend to have a similar set of experiences/influences. We grew up with the same TV shows, know the same celebrities and sports stars, understand each others slang,etc etc. Those things are the only reason it's sometimes easier to chat to other Irish people rather than foreigners.

• Advertisement

A lot of jealousy here towards Irish speakers, especially when the thorny issue of patriotism is risen.
    I do not link Irish patriotism with the IRA, like some posters here.
    I do not relate Irish patriotism with child killers. some posters here need to get the chip off their shoulder.

I suppose I'd be jealous when you lot have cushy jobs-for-life in the civil service translating rarely-read documents into a language that will make them even more rarely read.

A lot of jealousy here towards Irish speakers, especially when the thorny issue of patriotism is risen.
    I do not relate Irish patriotism with child killers. some posters here need to get the chip off their shoulder.
    It doesn't matter whether YOU link it or not. People who were willing to die for what THEY felt was Irish patriotism are now apparently Anglophiles because they spoke English. And if an Eskimo in Alaska learns Irish he's apparently now an Irishman while a Celtic shirt wearing lad from Ballybrack isn't because he can't speak it.
    Again you're inventing jealousy which absolutely nobody here has shown. While you were learning Irish I was doing something else I wanted to do. Why would I be jealous when I didn't want to do Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Clearly you haven't read a single post that debunked your ideas.

Patriotism, as I said earlier, is for those who are too lazy to think for themselves.

Clearly you haven't read a single post that debunked your ideas.

Patriotism, as I said earlier, is for those who are too lazy to think for themselves.

To be fair, if one person believes that Irish identity is inextricably tied to speaking Irish, you can't really talk them out of it anymore than they could talk you into it. I think this thread has made about as much progress as it's going to.

To be fair, if one person believes that Irish identity is inextricably tied to speaking Irish, you can't really talk them out of it anymore than they could talk you into it. I think this thread has made about as much progress as it's going to.

True - that was pretty much my closing case. Unless he responds to previous points with something not rehashed, which I don't think he's capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

People getting thorny when their national identity is questioned over such a trivial issue by someone who has no right and zero basis on which to do so? Who'd have thought it possible?

You're telling us we have a chip on our shoulders when you're the one calling non Irish speakers 'Anglophiles'.

I've no problem with anybody saying their own identity is due to factors X, Y and Z. Telling other people the minimum specs to be Irish is a load of crap though.

I've no problem with anybody saying their own identity is due to factors X, Y and Z. Telling other people the minimum specs to be Irish is a load of crap though.

True. Also a point we'd do well to remember when talking about Irish-Americans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I suppose I'd be jealous when you lot have cushy jobs-for-life in the civil service translating rarely-read documents into a language that will make them even more rarely read.

That is and has always been a racket. Jobs where the actual amount of work done per day is around the 20 minute mark and the rest is taken up with Facebook, coffee breaks, nipping into town for a bit or just dossing.
    It's disgusting, it's wrong and where the hell do I apply?!

I used to work as a field technician repairing and setting up printers, copiers and faxes, any office that was in any way state run and in any way linked to "proper Irish activities" was exactly like that. You could be in there for 2-3 hours breaking your balls on their printers and copiers while they stood around gossiping.
    It is the biggest doss going in Ireland. If you can get a job there, DO IT! You'll never work again in your life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement