Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish language is failing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

Dan_Solo wrote: »

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dughorm View Post
    Well it would be helpful to understand where you are coming from....

You won't even tell us whether your Irish teacher(s) spoke Irish in the classroom which is quite relevant to the topic given how many people complain about the poor standard of teaching in the classroom....

You still can't tell me why it would be relevant. Why should anybody care about MY personal experience? An argument is either right or wrong, who's making the argument is irrelevant.

If you have any knowledge of politics you will know that the person making the argument is often more important than the topic at hand - and this is a political question.

It's up to you whether you share your personal experience, but it has to have people wondering what it must have been like given your keyboard warrior stance on the topic!!

The fact you don't even appear to get this is very telling.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dughorm
    What's a real admission that your argument is a joke is when you feel you have to invent my argument for me... I never said this either!! It's like you're having an imaginary debate with yourself here!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dughorm
    I totally believe Irish teachers who don't speak Irish in the classroom need some encouragement to do so alright....

OK then, so you're saying all Irish teachers can speak Irish but they choose not to in Irish classes?
    Sorry, that makes about as much sense as them not being able to speak Irish TBH.

I'm just going to leave the bits in bold speak for themselves here... notice the absence of the word "all" in my sentence and it's magical appearance in your sentence to completely misrepresent my point here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Dughorm wrote: »
    If you have any knowledge of politics you will know that the person making the argument is often more important than the topic at hand - and this is a political question.

It's up to you whether you share your personal experience, but it has to have people wondering what it must have been like given your keyboard warrior stance on the topic!!
    It would only have people who value personal experience over logical argument wondering. Frankly I'm not all that bothered about those kinds of people's opinion.
    Thanks for admitting you couldn't argue your case without resorting to personalising anyway. Cheers.

I'm just going to leave the bits in bold speak for themselves here... notice the absence of the word "all" in my sentence and it's magical appearance in your sentence to completely misrepresent my point here!
    You could just answer the question: do you think not all Irish teachers can speak Irish or that they can but won't?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Like every other Gaelscoil outside a Gaeltacht area, the answer will be pretty much zero habitual speakers. Using Irish day to day has no connection whatsoever to the school. It's the home and locality.
    Most of those parents make an effort to use what Irish they have with their children. Those parents who don't have Irish are keen to learn and use their Irish.
    In the English speaking school , I taught things like art and PE through Irish as much as possible and suddenly parents who had suffered Peig etc. through school themselves became re-enthusiastic about Irish

You could just answer the question: do you think not all Irish teachers can speak Irish or that they can but won't?

Why bother - you've already told me what I think and ignore my questions when they suit you!

Most of those parents make an effort to use what Irish they have with their children. Those parents who don't have Irish are keen to learn and use their Irish.
    In the English speaking school , I taught things like art and PE through Irish as much as possible and suddenly parents who had suffered Peig etc. through school themselves became re-enthusiastic about Irish
    Nice anecdote.
    Here's facts: http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2015/0529/704583-irish-in-decline-in-gaeltacht-areas-report/
    Even in "Gaeltacht" areas it's dying outside the school.

Why bother - you've already told me what I think and ignore my questions when they suit you!
    a.k.a. you refuse to answer a direct question. Would it be because clarifying your own statements in any way would lead to some uncomfortable truths for you by any chance?

a.k.a. you refuse to answer a direct question. Would it be because clarifying your own statements in any way would lead to some uncomfortable truths for you by any chance?

This doesn't seem to bother you in the slightest!

And lo and behold, you don't seem to be able to quote this mysterious question I have in your imagination avoided.
    Want another chance to quote/fabricate/invent it yeah?

• Advertisement

And lo and behold, you don't seem to be able to quote this mysterious question I have in your imagination avoided.
    Want another chance to quote/fabricate/invent it yeah?

You didn't ask!

But I don't want to derail the topic - the first 2000 posts were so productive... it would be a terrible pity to engage further....

I feel this thread has really helped tease out the topic and explore new avenues for Irish learning in the 21st century and helped us to learn aspects of the language we hadn't considered previously. It has exposed simplistic arguments and emotional reactions against the language and encouraged 'New Irish' to make a contribution to the thread and hopefully inspire them to engage with the language! If it has inspired others to re-engage and go beyond their schooling wouldn't that be wonderful!

You didn't ask!
    And we're through the looking glass I see.
    You said I won't answer any questions.
    I ask you to tell me what these questions are I've avoided.
    Now you tell me I never asked what those questions were, and apparently you're still not going to tell me.
    Earth to Dughorn... come in Dughorn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I feel this thread has really helped tease out the topic and explore new avenues for Irish learning in the 21st century and helped us to learn aspects of the language we hadn't considered previously.

Such as...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

It has exposed simplistic arguments and emotional reactions against the language
    But unfortunately it hasn't overcome any of the logical and reasoned arguments.
    Funny you say those against mandatory Irish are "emotional" when the best anybody has managed to come up with to back it are "it's your identity" and "up the RA!".

And we're through the looking glass I see.
    You said I won't answer any questions.
    I ask you to tell me what these questions are I've avoided.
    Now you tell me I never asked what those questions were, and apparently you're still not going to tell me.
    Earth to Dughorn... come in Dughorn...

Sigh.. I didn't say this either - until we get a translator here I'm going to give this a sos beag.... :)

Such as...?
    They're there in the thread alongside those question I apparently haven't answered. Oh, and those perpetual motion machine plans. Yup, they're there alright. I said so.

• Advertisement

Such as...?

I think the discussion about optional Irish was a useful avenue to explore even if after consideration I decided it wasn't compatible with my philosophy.

I'm thinking of our discussion about food some 50 pages ago or so or even the contributions by Aineoil and Byhookorbycrook - so wise and insightful.

Indeed your own contribution about identity; how it is determined and our discussion about heritage was most interesting!

I feel my horizons have been broadened by the discussion!

Sigh.. I didn't say this either - until we get a translator here I'm going to give this a sos beag.... :)
    Hard luck there. You do know I can just go back and quote they bit you are now lying about, right?
    So you're saying I refuse to answer questions, but you can't specify them, and now you insist you never said that at all.
    Can you speak any language properly?

Dan_Solo wrote:
    But none of these are the debunked "simplistic" and "emotional" arguments that you claimed had happened in this thread. Or do you want to lie again and say you never said that now also? (you know I'll just go and quote where you did BTW)

Sigh, If that was the section of post #2011 that Princess Consuela had actually quoted in post #2013 I would have gladly considered that...

You're really flying solo now Dan!

Sigh, If that was the section of post #2011 that Princess Consuela had actually quoted in post #2013 I would have gladly considered that...
    Sigh, I deleted that post before you had even finished responding.
    In any case, here's your chance for stardom. Show us these debunked arguments please. Oh, and those questions I've been avoiding that I have proven you have claimed exist while you're at it.
    You've really got your horn or horm or whatever there dug!

Sigh, I deleted that post before you had even finished responding.
    In any case, here's your chance for stardom. Show us these debunked arguments please. Oh, and those questions I've been avoiding that I have proven you have claimed exist while you're at it.
    You've really got your horn or horm or whatever there dug!

Why did you delete the post Dan?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Nice anecdote.
    Here's facts: http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2015/0529/704583-irish-in-decline-in-gaeltacht-areas-report/
    Even in "Gaeltacht" areas it's dying outside the school.
    I am giving the facts for our school.

The "facts" in your school are an anecdote. Do they even qualify as facts?
    The facts in that report are data.
    Whatever you think you see isn't what's happening. Which is more important overall?

Why did you delete the post Dan?
    Any chance you'd show us these questions I have proven you are claiming I am avoiding there dug?
    Or in fact even answer the point I made in the deleted post there dug?
    "Well of course not. But here's some other waffle instead", yes?

Any chance you'd show us these questions I have proven you are claiming I am avoiding there dug?

This is turning very inception-esque - how about the last one?! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think the discussion about optional Irish was a useful avenue to explore even if after consideration I decided it wasn't compatible with my philosophy.

I'm thinking of our discussion about food some 50 pages ago or so or even the contributions by Aineoil and Byhookorbycrook - so wise and insightful.

Indeed your own contribution about identity; how it is determined and our discussion about heritage was most interesting!

I feel my horizons have been broadened by the discussion!

Happy to help :D

I don't feel the optimism though. The biggest challenge the Irish lanaguge faces is simply the stubborness of it's own champions, and I've read nothing to make me think that they've got anything beyond focusing purely on education and keeping it compulsory for the LC and hoping that something miraculously clicks en masse somewhere along the line that hasn't clicked in 80 years.

Everything else they do is simply preaching to the converted.

This is turning very inception-esque - how about the last one?! :D
    Oh "the last one"? You don't want to show me any of these questions you have lied and claimed I have avoided, you are now claiming I am avoiding a question after you have lied about me avoiding questions?
    So dug, where are these questions you were claiming I have avoided when you made the lying claim in the first place?

Oh "the last one"? You don't want to show me any of these questions you have lied about me avoiding, you are now claiming I am avoiding a question after you have lied about me avoiding questions?
    So dug, where are these questions you were claiming I have avoided when you made the lying claim in the first place?

Yes, let's start with the most recent one... we are now a good few posts on and you haven't explained why you deleted that post... that's a simple question you haven't answered! Why is that? Is it because of its rank error?

Just for a quick show of hands, is there anybody pro-Irish here who knows the difference between anecdotes and data? Are these the same word in Irish or something?

Yes, let's start with the most recent one...
    Er, actually no.
    You claimed I have avoided questions. Then you lied about making that claim. Then I proved you were lying. I am asking you yet again to show me these questions I had apparently avoided when you made your claim.

I don't feel the optimism though. The biggest challenge the Irish lanaguge faces is simply the stubborness of it's own champions, and I've read nothing to make me think that they've got anything beyond focusing purely on education and keeping it compulsory for the LC and hoping that something miraculously clicks en masse somewhere along the line that hasn't clicked in 80 years.

That's all quite reasonable - I would see compulsory Irish as a starting point rather than an end in itself. But any significant increase in Irish policy-pushing would require funding that successive governments have decided against - so it looks like Irish is trapped in a stalemate from a structural point of view.

From the point of view of the learner, there's never been a wider variety of interesting resources - so it depends from what perspective you look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Some of the Irish speaking community can be very like this yes, but as I said before this is a minority within a minority and it can give the language a bad name. I've witnessed, and have argued with this type of stubbornness in the past and sometimes things are better left unsaid. There is a need for compromise especially in this day of age.

I wouldn't say the majority of them preach either (although maybe in your experience they have) and sometimes you have to distinguish between preaching and defending the language and I've found the two can be mixed especially in this thread.

Er, actually no.
    You claimed I have avoided questions. Then you lied about making that claim. Then I proved you were lying. I am asking you yet again to show me these questions I had apparently avoided when you made your claim.

Dan, I feel we should let the anonymous boards public decide who's right on this one... more heat than light coming from this...

Dan, I feel we should let the anonymous boards public decide who's right on this one... more heat than light coming from this...
    Yes, all anybody has to do is go to this post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96666321&postcount=2018
    And they can see where I quoted your lie. And we've all subsequently witnessed your failure to either admit you lied about making that claim or show were these questions I supposedly avoided are.

Yes, all anybody has to do is go to this post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96666321&postcount=2018
    And they can see where I quoted your lie. And we've all subsequently witnessed your failure to either admit you lied about making that claim or show were these questions I supposedly avoided are.

Dan, you don't happen to be the alter-ego of that fine poster "tipparetops" who made such a substantive contribution to this thread by any chance?

Dan, you don't happen to be the alter-ego of that fine poster "tipparetops" who made such a substantive contribution to this thread?
    Why, if I was him would that negate the fact that you are a proven liar? If I was him would those questions you claimed I had avoided magically materialise out of thin air?
    This is that personalisation thing at work again, right? If I am person X, then you are right and I am wrong irrespective of facts and logic?

Why, if I was him would that negate the fact that you are a proven liar? If I was him would those questions you claimed I had avoided magically materialise out of thin air?
    This is that personalisation thing at work again, right? If I am person X, then you are right and I am wrong irrespective of facts and logic?

Done!

I am not using personalisation to prove any point about the topic of this thread, which is what you are attempting to do.
    I am using quotes from you to prove conclusively that you are a liar, personally.

It has exposed simplistic arguments and emotional reactions against the language
    Could you summarize these, or even show us one of them?
    Without, you know, asking anybody what school they went to or if they are somebody else or some other tripe.

I am not using personalisation to prove any point about the topic of this thread, which is what you are attempting to do.
    I am using quotes from you to prove conclusively that you are a liar, personally.

G'wan cast the first stone there from your high throne of logic - are you ready to talk about the topic at hand now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Joe Duffy said English was our first language on Live Line today

Anyway, what year was Pheig (or whatever her name was) dropped from the Curriculum? I have a vague memory of Phegin bocht

dughorm wrote:

Could you summarize these, or even show us one of them?
    Without, you know, asking anybody what school they went to or if they are somebody else or some other tripe.

Just one?... that's easy
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95832656&postcount=1087

I'm sure you don't need me give an example of emotional outbursts?

G'wan cast the first stone there from your high throne of logic - are you ready to talk about the topic at hand now?
    I was until you claimed I had been avoiding questions, then you lied about making the claim.
    Am I supposed to apologise for using logic now? Well SORREEEEE. Here, have another anecdote...

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

A interesting thread but ....Two posters who seem a wee bit fanatical in their own way now reduced to dragging up posts to see who said (or did not say)what the other poster imagined they said. Oíche mhaith.

kingchess wrote: »
    A interesting thread but ....Two posters who seem a wee bit fanatical in their own way now reduced to dragging up posts to see who said (or did not say)what the other poster imagined they said. Oíche mhaith.
    Some people mind when they're lied about. I guess some people don't.

Demonique wrote: »

Anyway, what year was Pheig (or whatever her name was) dropped from the Curriculum? I have a vague memory of Phegin bocht

1999 I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Demonique wrote: »
    Joe Duffy is correct, in any practical sense. English is the first language of the overwhelming majority of our population.

osarusan wrote: »
    Joe Duffy is correct, in any practical sense. English is the first language of the overwhelming majority of our population.

And has been for quite some time.... so what's different about it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

And has been for quite some time.... so what's different about it now?
    I never said there was anything different about it now...just responding to a post.

That's all quite reasonable - I would see compulsory Irish as a starting point rather than an end in itself. But any significant increase in Irish policy-pushing would require funding that successive governments have decided against - so it looks like Irish is trapped in a stalemate from a structural point of view.

From the point of view of the learner, there's never been a wider variety of interesting resources - so it depends from what perspective you look at it.

Compulsion Irish does not work. It hasnt' worked in 80 years. And now you want tro use it as a "starting point"...??

All the resources in the world don't work - this is preaching to the connverted again - if the learner is reluctant. And again, your best idea is to force it.

This post very much illustrates what I mean by "stubborn".
    DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Some of the Irish speaking community can be very like this yes, but as I said before this is a minority within a minority and it can give the language a bad name. I've witnessed, and have argued with this type of stubbornness in the past and sometimes things are better left unsaid. There is a need for compromise especially in this day of age.

I wouldn't say the majority of them preach either (although maybe in your experience they have) and sometimes you have to distinguish between preaching and defending the language and I've found the two can be mixed especially in this thread.

Therein lies your problem. The stubborness wins out, the minority wins, the status quo remains.

osarusan wrote: »
    I never said there was anything different about it now...just responding to a post.

I think that's an important point though - Irish speakers have been a minority for an awful long time - so whether Joe Duffy pronounces on this or not is irrelevant - this isn't news.

Significant changes over the past 30 years - such as the blossoming gaelscoil movement on the positive or the decline in the gaeltachts on the other hand- are worth noting however!

• Advertisement
Advertisement