Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish language is failing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

Compulsion Irish does not work. It hasnt' worked in 80 years. And now you want tro use it as a "starting point"...??

It would have to be in any widespread policy change to promote the language in my opinion.

But I don't think Irish should be mandatory in the hope of a "widespread cultural policy change" - I think it's a necessary part of a liberal arts education in Ireland with the other mandatory subjects.
    All the resources in the world don't work - this is preaching to the connverted again - if the learner is reluctant. And again, your best idea is to force it.

The key point here is that the learner is reluctant. If the learner is reluctant to learn maths then all the resources won't work for them either. It follows from your argument that people shouldn't learn subjects they're reluctant to learn and that all subjects should be optional. That's a reasonable position as I've said previously... but not one that has been proposed by any party as far as I know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Dughorm wrote: »
    But I don't think Irish should be mandatory in the hope of a "widespread cultural policy change" - I think it's a necessary part of a liberal arts education in Ireland with the other mandatory subjects.
    But you have never once told us why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It would have to be in any widespread policy change to promote the language in my opinion.

This is an education policy, not an Irish lanaguge policy.

You can't have compulsion anything as part of a "liberal arts" anything. This has been pointed out: liberal means freedom. In any case, you could drop Irish and take French or German or even Latin and let the student choose for themsleves. THAT Would be a liberal arts educationn.

The key point here is that the learner is reluctant. If the learner is reluctant to learn maths then all the resources won't work for them either. It follows from your argument that people shouldn't learn subjects they're reluctant to learn and that all subjects should be optional. That's a reasonable position as I've said previously... but not one that has been proposed by any party as far as I know.

So what?

We're back to square one. Force them for the sake of force. Somethign should be compulsory, we don't care what.

This is the exact opposite of a liberal arts education.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

OMD wrote: »
    I got an A in Irish in the leaving.

Maith thú. :)

Ní bhfuair mise ach C, ach tá Gaeilge agam. Bhí béim ar scríbhneoireacht in ionad caint san aois sin, faraor.

Is dócha go bhfuil sí go fóill agatsa freisin - cosúil le seoid atá i bhfolach agat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Maith thú. :)

Ní bhfuair mise ach C, ach tá Gaeilge agam. Bhí béim ar scríbhneoireacht in ionad caint san aois sin, faraor.

Is dócha go bhfuil sí go fóill agatsa freisin - cosúil le seoid atá i bhfolach agat.

.. --. --- - .- -.. --- -. .- .--. .- ... ... -.-. --- ..- .-. ... .

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I think that's an important point though - Irish speakers have been a minority for an awful long time - so whether Joe Duffy pronounces on this or not is irrelevant - this isn't news.

Significant changes over the past 30 years - such as the blossoming gaelscoil movement on the positive or the decline in the gaeltachts on the other hand- are worth noting however!
    I've been hearing about "the blossoming gaelscoil movement" for well over two decades at this stage, but I've yet to see any positive "significant changes" as a result. Instead the decline of the language has continued unabated.

That there is no objective or independent measure of how many actually speak more than cúpla focal has further brushed the problem under the carpet.

TBH, the problem is not those who criticize the language, but the ostriches that maintain there is no problem, or that we're turning the corner only for us to never see this happen. It's the gaelgores who are embedded in the Irish language industry that are killing it because they refuse or fear any radical reform of how it is promoted - except for any reform that would create more grants and jobs for gaelgores, of course.

It's all a bit like the Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch, at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    I'm not emphasising that people are only speaking Irish in their homes, it was a response to a point raised. Of course Irish is spoken in public. I think you are somewhat twisting my words here.

RnaLife source; http://www.mediastreet.ie/en/businesses/raidio-na-life-1064-fm

I don't trust that figure. There's no breakdown nor is there any info on how it was calculated.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I don't trust that figure. There's no breakdown nor is there any info on how it was calculated.
    It's a figure meant for advertising purposes. Print publications do the same - they call it 'circulation' - and how this is calculated is completely pie in the sky by a factor of 10 or 20. You can safely presume that the figure is grossly exaggerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Mod note: Hiya, when you post in another language (except for the forums dedicated to those, like Teach na nGalt with Irish, for example), you need to provide translation for it in English so people can understand it.
    I know what you said didn't break any rules so this is just a friendly reminder.
    Cheers, Tombi!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's a figure meant for advertising purposes. Print publications do the same - they call it 'circulation' - and how this is calculated is completely pie in the sky by a factor of 10 or 20. You can safely presume that the figure is grossly exaggerated.

I did. It wouldn't surprise me if it included people using older radios whose dial stopped at RnaL for a few seconds wondering if they had the right station.

Also, "blossoming Gaelscoil movement"... When did people start spouting this nonsense? I grew up in a somewhat anti-Irish household but there was one advantage. My father all but banned anything to do with the Irish language meaning that I wouldn't need another kick to my self esteem regarding the fact that I couldn't pick it up while being able to converse in French at the time.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

I did. It wouldn't surprise me if it included people using older radios whose dial stopped at RnaL for a few seconds wondering if they had the right station.
    As I said, it's like 'circulation' in print media - there they add a multiplier (sometimes as high as x20) to denote 'how many people will read the same copy' of the publication. It's meant to bloat figures to make things look more attractive to potential advertisers.
    Also, "blossoming Gaelscoil movement"... When did people start spouting this nonsense?
    First time I remember hearing this argument was when a now rather famous TV comedian said this to me once back in the early nineties.

There does appear to be a consistent pattern of vague or assumed numbers when it comes to Irish usage or listenership. Not to mention pretty obvious attempts to bury and fudge usage reports.
    I don't see how this does promotion of the Irish language any favours. It's all PR and no ignores the substance.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    There does appear to be a consistent pattern of vague or assumed numbers when it comes to Irish usage or listenership. Not to mention pretty obvious attempts to bury and fudge usage reports.
    I don't see how this does promotion of the Irish language any favours. It's all PR and no ignores the substance.

As The Corinthian has said, it'll be down to self-interest more than concern for the language.

Also, "blossoming Gaelscoil movement"... When did people start spouting this nonsense?
    In hard numbers presented there does appear to be an increase in Gaelscoils over the last 30 years. I find it hard to believe there were only 11 schools delivering their curriculum through Irish in 1972, whether they were officially designated "Gaelscoil" or not.
    Does any of this translate to increased Irish usage outside the school? Apparently not. So what's the point?

In hard numbers presented there does appear to be an increase in Gaelscoils over the last 30 years. I find it hard to believe there were only 11 schools delivering their curriculum through Irish in 1972, whether they were officially designated "Gaelscoil" or not.
    Does any of this translate to increased Irish usage outside the school? Apparently not. So what's the point?

Just more babble about how the language is doing well and if we keep the system the way it is, or better/worse depending on perspective then our grandchildren might be somewhat proficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Are magazines figures not usually certified by 3rd party? Anyhow whatever about accuracy at the time the figures are now 5 years old.

psinno wrote: »
    Are magazines figures not usually certified by 3rd party?
    Not always and even when they are they still accept practices that bloat the figures (although perhaps by less than if they had not been reviewed).

Thing is Ireland is a small market; I remember discussing this with a publisher and he said that Hugh Hefner once commented that he was disappointed with the sales of the first issue of Playboy, which were I think something like 26k, and were it an Irish publication he would have been absolutely ecstatic. So bloating these figures in Irish media is common practice to keep the rate card prices up.

psinno wrote: »
    Are magazines figures not usually certified by 3rd party? Anyhow whatever about accuracy at the time the figures are now 5 years old.

I would have thought that if they were then that fact would be advertised to demonstrate authenticity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irish_man2015

Just watching the news and the Irish language is failing, even in the Gaeltacht.

I dont want to get into a debate with the misty eyed brigade about Irish being our first language etc.

Languages are only relevant if they are used. History or nationalism doesn't appear to be enough.

So with that in mind, how can we improve the position of Irish? Do we want to?

While it will never be our first language again, considering mass culture and the internet age, is there a case to be made for a strong second language?

Or should we look elsewhere? I guess I'm inviting the "let's all learn Chinese" gang to join the discussion.
    The Irish language is failing? Really? In my opinion, the language failed a long time ago! To be honest, I'm not trying to be controversial, there is no need for the language anymore, not with the changes that have happened and continue to happen, for example the Celtic Tiger Era, piles and piles of foreigners came and settled here, their kids started to attend English speaking schools, the recession happened, most fluent Irish speakers moved away to Australia and America, new generation of Irish people are not mixed, Eastern Europeans and the rest, no interest in learning a forgotten language. We don't realize how lucky we are as native English speakers, we are one of the 7 native speaking countries in the world, thousands and thousands of internation students come to Ireland every year to learn English and businesses expand on Irish shores, knowing well that they can create international business linking Ireland with those distant countries, bringing in billions in revenue. I know some people will say but it's our language, tradition, etc....but we have to face reality., we haven't used Irish as a first language for close to 900 years, so it's time pointless looking at the buts and what ifs!!!! English is expanding all over the globe at an extreme rate, languages are being marginalized and shadowed, look at Asia now, look at South America, most people are now bilingual, refusing to use their native language anymore, especially for work,70% of internation trade is dealt with in English, and this number is rising. I recently met a guy from Hungary and his wife is Polish, their kid doesn't speak Hungarian or Polish, he only speaks English. My close group of friends, one is Indian, Lithuanian, Chinese and Indonesian, as you may guess none of their children speak their native language, and this will not change. It's looking like a generation or 2 or maybe 3, we will see one universal language, everything else may get wiped out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I would have thought that if they were then that fact would be advertised to demonstrate authenticity.

I'm sure it would. I was talking generally not specific to this case. I remember a magazine I read in the 90s having a circulation figure on it provided by ABC which seems to stand for Audit Bureau of Circulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gaelscoils are a comfort blanket of the Irish language movement, did they ever carry out a survey on how many kids continue speaking Irish after they've left?

Love of the language isn't the only reason parents want to send their kids there over the regular school down the road.

Gaelscoils are a comfort blanket of the Irish language movement, did they ever carry out a survey on how many kids continue speaking Irish after they've left?

Love of the language isn't the only reason parents want to send their kids there over the regular school down the road.
    Wiki says
    In the 2012-2013 school year there were 177 gaelscoileanna at primary level, attended by 35,710 students, and 40 gaelcholáistí at secondary level, attended by 9,663 students in non-Gaeltacht areas across Ireland.
    Are even 9,663 habitual Irish speakers being added to the total every year? Who knows. I've a suspicion they won't be telling us either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

but we have to face reality., we haven't used Irish as a first language for close to 900 years,
    Eh… no. 200, 150 since it was the majority language, not close to a thousand years.
    It's looking like a generation or 2 or maybe 3, we will see one universal language, everything else may get wiped out!
    Unlikely. Highly. And no it won't be Chinese.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Are even 9,663 habitual Irish speakers being added to the total every year? Who knows.
    Presuming that such schools are split into five academic years, then they would be adding 1,933 graduates to society that have presumably a fluent level of Irish, not 9,663. This would represent approximately 3.5% of the total number of Leaving Cert graduates (c. 55k) to society every year.

Apparently a million of us are competent in speaking it as a second language though, which I'm sure will raise eyebrows, although any figures supporting this admit this is based on self assessment. Big pinch of salt.

All presuming that there are any realistic opportunities to do so when you leave school and unless your job requires daily use of the language, chances are not.

Of those who I've known who have gone to such schools, they at best appear to speak it only with their parents or the odd old school friend (and even then, every fifth word was in English). Great, I speak Italian, but outside of the rare occasion that I'd use it at a chipper (less said about the quality of Italian spoken there the better), I'd pretty much only speak it with my family. As a result, my English is much better because I simply got to use it more.

Making it obligatory for certain professions has simply served to encourage an industry in passing exams (and then never using it again), the use of Irish tokenism (such as in the salutations in official letters) achieves nothing beyond being able to phonetically repeat something you don't even understand. And the use of TnG and the like... well, less said about that the better.

At the end of the day, even with the most optimistic (and doubtful) figures out there, it is the first language of 138k people - about 3% of the population. Basically, once you leave school, who are you going to speak to on a daily basis, unless you live in a Gaeltacht area or never leave home?

So it's pretty clear that realistically less than 10% of the population actually speaks it habitually - possibly less than 5%, but as no one want's to open the can of worms which is an independently assessed survey, we don't really know. And that number really isn't growing much, if at all, with or without the gaelcholáistí contribution.

At least the Swiss don't force everyone to study Romansh to keep that language 'alive'. On the other hand, I don't think there are as many cushy jobs dependent on Romansh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Pretty much this. We'll still be codding ourselves that we are somehow a bilingual nation 50, hell, maybe 100 years from now. The vested interests are far too powerful and have the ear of local TDs and are firmly nested in government (many of them being ex-teachers and all) to allow any change.

A reminder of what happened when FG made a cautious peep that Irish might become optional...
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/fine-gaels-proposal-to-make-the-irish-language-optional-at-school-is-rejected-see-poll-116221609-237369721.html

http://www.independent.ie/life/family/learning/language-activists-blast-fgs-plan-to-make-irish-optional-26613367.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-language-students-protest-at-being-dumped-by-fine-gael-84116-Feb2011/

It's an exercise in national self-delusion. What a country we would be if people could get this worked up about our health system and batter ruling political parties into submission.

Well f that's the way things are, then there will be no change, ever!

I wonder what would happen if Fine Gael tried again after the next election?
    (Presuming they get in).

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    Well f that's the way things are, then there will be no change, ever!

I wonder what would happen if Fine Gael tried again after the next election?
    (Presuming they get in).

... and not one single idea from the thosands of students themselves.

"The language will die out eventually if this happens because students won't pick it." - which, as usual, doesn;t explain how forcing people to do it keeps it aline?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

I genuinely don't believe the majority would support optional Irish to be honest...

It's ok to be delusional I suppose.

This is an education policy, not an Irish lanaguge policy.

You can't have compulsion anything as part of a "liberal arts" anything. This has been pointed out: liberal means freedom.

You are confusing liberal arts with liberal politics they are not the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_arts_education

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism

In Germany they refer to it as 'humanistic education' - whether one's politics are liberal, socialist, communist has nothing to do with it.

I grew up in a somewhat anti-Irish household but there was one advantage. My father all but banned anything to do with the Irish language meaning that I wouldn't need another kick to my self esteem regarding the fact that I couldn't pick it up while being able to converse in French at the time.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you think your household was like this? Why did your father feel the need to do this?

Wright wrote: »
    It's ok to be delusional I suppose.

It's the practical reality of the situation - taking Irish out would be political dynamite... why do we hear no party talking about it?

• Advertisement

If you don't mind me asking, why do you think your household was like this? Why did your father feel the need to do this?

Not at all. He was an avid subscriber to the ideas of Ian Paisley Sr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

It's the practical reality of the situation - taking Irish out would be political dynamite... why do we hear no party talking about it?
    The same reason as 68% of the population proclaim their love for Irish but don't speak it. As a nation, we're conflicted on the subject & don't want to admit the reality of the situation.

Sinn Féin would have a field day as they're already using Irish as a way of annoying its opponents.

A good start would be to withdraw government funding from Conradh na Gaelige unless its and its affiliates agree to stop meddling in politics.

Shep_Dog wrote: »
    A good start would be to withdraw government funding from Conradh na Gaelige unless its and its affiliates agree to stop meddling in politics.

Why?

You are confusing liberal arts with liberal politics they are not the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_arts_education

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism

In Germany they refer to it as 'humanistic education' - whether one's politics are liberal, socialist, communist has nothing to do with it.

Fair enough, but I'd argue that this is far more discriptive and far more relevant to third level rather than second level. In any case, it doesn't asnwer the question: why not let the student choose the langauge that they wish to learn? Bringing back Latin would make it even more "liberal" - how woudl you feel abotu that?

And the golden nugget: whatever about education, how is compulsory Irish preventing the langauge from failing?

It has been spoken about. Enda Kenny's in favour of it being made optional. Someone posted links a few pages back.

why not let the student choose the langauge that they wish to learn? Bringing back Latin would make it even more "liberal" - how woudl you feel abotu that?

We do - "foreign" languages of choice are available including latin.
    And the golden nugget: whatever about education, how is compulsory Irish preventing the langauge from failing?

....It has been spoken about. Enda Kenny's in favour of it being made optional. Someone posted links a few pages back.

After Shep_Dog's post I perused the website of Conradh na Gaeilge www.cnag.ie just to see how political it was...

This is the first news item I found:
    Tá díomá ar Chonradh na Gaeilge as an easpa tuisceana ar chruachás na Gaeltachta a léiríonn an Taoiseach Enda Kenny TD ar an gclár faisnéise Documentary on One: Fine Gaeilgeoir a chraolfar ar RTÉ Raidió 1 amárach (Dé Sathairn, 25 Iúil 2015) ar 2.00in, áit a shéanann an Taoiseach go bhfuil na Gaeltachtaí faoi bhrú agus é den tuairim go bhfuil líon na gcainteoirí Gaeilge iontu ag méadú.

Dúirt Cóilín Ó Cearbhaill, Uachtarán Chonradh na Gaeilge:

“Is léir go bhfuil dul amú ar an Taoiseach....Níl aon cheist ann ach go bhfuil laghdú tagtha ar líon na gcainteoirí Gaeilge sa Ghaeltacht; tá lear mór taighde ó fhoinsí éagsúla a thacaíonn leis seo, ach níos tábhachtaí fós, aithníonn an pobal Gaeltachta féin na fadhbanna atá ag cur brú ar an nGaeilge mar ghnáth-theanga labhartha an phobail.

It says that Conradh na Gaeilge (CnaG) are disappointed at the lack of understanding of the hardship in the Gaeltachts displayed by Enda Kenny on the programme "Documentary on One: "Fine Gaeilgeoir" on RTE radio one, where he denies that the Gaeltachts are under pressure and he is under the impression that the number of speakers in them is increasing (lol!).

Cóilín Ó Cearbhaill, President of CnaG, said that it is clear the Taoiseach is mistaken... there is no question but that there's a decline in Irish speakers in the Gaeltacht; there's a lot of research that supports this, but more importantly, the communities themselves recognise the problems that are putting pressure on Irish as the spoken language of the people...

How informed are Enda Kenny's views on the matter I wonder??!! How many posters here agree with his view that the number of speakers in Gaeltachts are increasing?

We do - "foreign" languages of choice are available including latin.

Why are some lanaguges madartory, some options?

After Shep_Dog's post I perused the website of Conradh na Gaeilge www.cnag.ie just to see how political it was...

This is the first news item I found:

It says that Conradh na Gaeilge (CnaG) are disappointed at the lack of understanding of the hardship in the Gaeltachts displayed by Enda Kenny on the programme "Documentary on One: "Fine Gaeilgeoir" on RTE radio one, where he denies that the Gaeltachts are under pressure and he is under the impression that the number of speakers in them is increasing (lol!).

Cóilín Ó Cearbhaill, President of CnaG, said that it is clear the Taoiseach is mistaken... there is no question but that there's a decline in Irish speakers in the Gaeltacht; there's a lot of research that supports this, but more importantly, the communities themselves recognise the problems that are putting pressure on Irish as the spoken language of the people...

How informed are Enda Kenny's views on the matter I wonder??!! How many posters here agree with his view that the number of speakers in Gaeltachts are increasing?

Irrelevant to the question you asked:

Q - Why are political parties not trying to make Irish optinoal?
    A - They have done (and may well do so in the future)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

What about dialect differences?

I have family in the west who tell me that there can be differences between what they're taught and what they hear and what is broadcast from Dublin.

I know nothing about this, can anyone comment?

Why are some lanaguges madartory, some options?

National languages being mandatory makes sense in any country's liberal arts education programme. We effectively do make one non-Irish/English language mandatory as well for those who wish to go to NUI universities which is a lot of students.

Irrelevant to the question you asked:

Q - Why are political parties not trying to make Irish optinoal?
    A - They have done (and may well do so in the future)

Fair enough - Enda did try but he didn't try very hard... he can be much more determined though on other 'unpopular' issues e.g. irish water etc...

I sincerely doubt it will appear in the next Fine Gael manifesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

A lot of people send their kids to a Gaelscoil to give them an advantage for leaving cert Irish. It's still all about that exam.

National languages being mandatory makes sense in any country's liberal arts education programme. We effectively do make one non-Irish/English language mandatory as well for those who wish to go to NUI universities which is a lot of students.

In what practical way does it make sense in terms of the promotion of the langauage?
    Fair enough - Enda did try but he didn't try very hard... he can be much more determined though on other 'unpopular' issues e.g. irish water etc...

I sincerely doubt it will appear in the next Fine Gael manifesto.

Probably depends on popularism rather than any practical or progressive reaosning.

• Advertisement

The sum of your explanation thus far as to why Irish should be mandatory in your "liberal arts" curriculum is that it "makes sense". How does it make sense? Why have it mandatory? Why Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

an bhfuil gaeilge agat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

deswegen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

Why?
    The state should not fund political groups. Conradh was telling its members to vote against FG candidates when it was suggested that Irish could be optional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

"Some people need it for college so that justifies it being mandatory for everyone."

....what?

an bhfuil gaeilge agat?

No, wait until the end of class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

InTheTrees wrote: »
    What about dialect differences?

I have family in the west who tell me that there can be differences between what they're taught and what they hear and what is broadcast from Dublin.

I know nothing about this, can anyone comment?

Huge differences.

Was a native speaker but haven't spoke the language in well over 20 years but still usually understand it fine if heard. However, I hardly recognize the language in my kids school books, same with much of what is broadcast. OK, had thought it was just me being rusty, but this thread came to mind and asked a friend who still speaks when he goes home to visit family in west Galway, says exact same, so not just me.

Was annoyed last November when my daughter, first year at secondary school, who had been OK at Irish through primary school came home from school all stressed out and crying. They had got a new Irish teacher. Teacher had a rant and gave out that their time at primary school had been wasted. They were not speaking right, accent was bad and that they would have to begin from scratch again. I was amazed at the arrogance of this teacher who was not a native speaker who's idea of right comes from summers at the gaeltacht......about 40 miles up the coast.

End result, another bunch of kids with zero interest in Irish (my daughter is concentrating more on French now). Own goal for the Gaeilgeoir's.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

323 wrote: »
    End result, another bunch of kids with zero interest in Irish (my daughter is concentrating more on French now). Own goal for the Gaeilgeoir's.
    Despite Irish's official status as the first language of Ireland, standardization to an official dialect has been a bit of a joke.

While there is an official written standard, An Caighdeán Oifigiúil, there appears to be no spoken one and any attempt at teaching a standard in school (one year you might have a teacher who has a Donegal dialect, the next year Galway) is pretty much out the window the moment you go to the Gaeltachts to learn, that appear to have little or no oversight.

Swiss German is like this but it has the advantage of being a widely spoken language. The equivalent of An Caighdeán Oifigiúil there is Schriftdeutsch, which is a slightly modified form of high German and only used for written communication. Even so, similar issues occur when it comes to most Swiss Germans and the Wallis dialect.

The lesson from the Swiss experience seems to be that you can keep your regional differences, or have a national language. Not both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

There should be affirmative action for people not from the Gaeltacht or in Irish speaking schools. Or with foreign parents.

An automatic 20% extra points on the exam.

Also the score should not at all be included for assessments into entry for things like science, engineering or medicine. It has zero bearing in the gifts necessary for these subjects.

The damage to self esteem by making people feel bad they can't learn this redundant pointless language, when the fault lies at teaching methods is unforgivable. All they are accomplishing is making students feel bad about themselves.

Advertisement