Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish language is failing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

Shep_Dog wrote: »
    Nonsense. It's an attempt to edit a child's cultural identity and make them ashamed of who they are. A name is one of the most personal posessions one can have. It should not be interfered with.
    Although I think translating names into Irish is a silly when it's not an Irish name, this position is a bit extreme. When I began to learn Chinese I was immediately given a Chinese name, by which I am still known by my Chinese friends. This is not a Chinese pronunciation of my name, but a completely different name. I know the same was done in Chinese classes my teacher gave to secondary schools and I don't think the children were mentally scarred.

You forgot about jamming a "h" in after the first letter.
    The "adding a nonsense fada" business does occur, but I doubt adding a h after the first letter is common as it would be grammatically nonsensical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

AnLonDubh wrote: »
    The "adding a nonsense fada" business does occur, but I doubt adding a h after the first letter is common as it would be grammatically nonsensical.

I remember my Irish teacher saying that that was a popular way to "Gaelicise" a word. There are also the classics where the last letter is repeated like carr.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I remember my Irish teacher saying that that was a popular way to "Gaelicise" a word. There are also the classics where the last letter is repeated like carr.
    Your teacher must have been a fool or had a very poor command of the language, no offense, it would be like saying adding 's is a good way to Anglicize a name, I've never seen it done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Your teacher must have been a fool or had a very poor command of the language, no offense, it would be like saying adding 's is a good way to Anglicize a name, I've never seen it done.

She was quite good. Rather than trying to push the absurd syllabus onto us, she just had us learn off passages for the exam. It worked quite well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

She was quite good. Rather than trying to push the absurd syllabus onto us, she just had us learn off passages for the exam. It worked quite well.
    No doubt it did, but adding "h" to the first letter is not and never was a common way to Gaelicise a name, it makes no grammatical sense.

No doubt it did, but adding "h" to the first letter is not and never was a common way to Gaelicise a name, it makes no grammatical sense.

No, you add the "h" after the first letter. Anyway, most of the language made little grammatical sense to me at the time.

No, you add the "h" after the first letter.
    I know what you mean, it makes no sense as it turns the name into its possessive form, like adding 's in English. You mean like Sarah => Sharah.
    There are also the classics where the last letter is repeated like carr.
    Carr is actually from Proto-Celtic, not taken from English. It's attested in Gaulish as carros

I know what you mean, it makes no sense as it turns the name into its possessive form, like adding 's in English. You mean like Sarah => Sharah.

Carr is actually from Proto-Celtic, not taken from English. It's attested in Gaulish as carros

Fair enough.

• Advertisement

Fair enough.
    That said, your general point is valid, there are a lot of nonsense made-up words used in official/school Irish that are simply lifted from English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

Although I think translating names into Irish is a silly when it's not an Irish name, this position is a bit extreme. When I began to learn Chinese I was immediately given a Chinese name, by which I am still known by my Chinese friends. This is not a Chinese pronunciation of my name, but a completely different name. I know the same was done in Chinese classes my teacher gave to secondary schools and I don't think the children were mentally scarred.

Ah no AnLonDubh, you are emotionally abused and culturally programmed now but you refuse to recognise it because you are in denial.

Let's face it, you're now the Manchurian Candidate :D

Anyway, most of the language made little grammatical sense to me at the time.

Proto-celtic languages have a different grammar structure to English. Doesn't mean it's of less value or "illogical".

If you have studied latin, ancient greek (or russian I think) you will have come across the cases (for example, an tuiseal ginideach) which aren't in English.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Anyone who is pro-Irish language should be embarrassed with themselves for wasting time and resources on dead garbage. The world grew up and you are still clinging to utter nonsense to prove how "Oirish" you are.

No, I learn it because i'm interested in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

feargale wrote: »
    quote="DanielODonnell;96749936"]All English adults are roughly the same, they all hide behind their patriotism to form one united British Nationalist identity which is protective against any wrong doing the English have done.

Daniel, your posts are as useful to any cause, let it be Irish language, equality of esteem or whatever as Gregory Campbell is to Unionism, i.e. an embarrassment.[/QUOTE]

a bitter wee man feargale

Nonsense. It's an attempt to edit a child's cultural identity and make them ashamed of who they are. A name is one of the most personal posessions one can have. It should not be interfered with. It's interesting though, that the ethnic abusers justify this abuse as being 'inclusion' that's a classic example of a cognitive distortion.

What is an ethnic abuser? Is Irish teaching the equivalent of ethnic cleansing?
    There is nothing funny about beating children.

I never suggested there was - where are you getting this from?

I said your comparisons were ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Dughorm wrote: »
    Proto-celtic languages have a different grammar structure to English. Doesn't mean it's of less value or "illogical".

If you have studied latin, ancient greek (or russian I think) you will have come across the cases (for example, an tuiseal ginideach) which aren't in English.

I never said that it was illogical. I was merely giving my perspective on how it was taught to me at that time. I had an excellent teacher who had to do her best with a pitiful joke of a syllabus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    My teacher did in primary school and wouldn't stop when I asked her to. Only when I had my parents contact the school did she back off.

Thankfully my voice was a bit more forceful in secondary school when I had to confront the issue again. ;)

Frozen I am awaiting a response to post 2274. I appreciate that you may want time to consider it, but I will be out of boards for a time starting Friday, and who knows if this thread will be ongoing on my return?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

feargale wrote: »
    Frozen I am awaiting a response to post 2274. I appreciate that you may want time to consider it, but I will be out of boards for a time starting Friday, and who knows if this thread will be ongoing on my return?
    Very well.
    Now Frozenman, would you apply the same principle to Protestant schools? Let those who want additional services pay for them? We are talking about minorities, are'nt we?
    We shouldn't segregate children based on religion. If protestant or catholic parents want to home school their children they should have that option providing they meet the regulation and if they want religious schools specially catered to their belifes they should bare the cost themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

What is an ethnic abuser? Is Irish teaching the equivalent of ethnic cleansing?
    Ethnic abuse is the undermining of the self-esteem and cultural identity of another person. Compulsory Irish is motivated by notions of changing the Irish cultural identity from what it is. One should ask why Conradh wants to replace English with Irish as our common language. What does this say about their opinion of English-speaking?
    I said your comparisons were ridiculous.
    Ridicule is an emotional reaction that can occur when one's deeply-held beliefs are challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gael Mire

[QUOTE=The Corinthian;96736646Not the same as those speaking the language. I know a few of those, who were born and bred in the Gaeltacht, who also consider such gaelgores a bunch of tossers who have irreparably damaged the language.[/QUOTE]

I work in the Gaeltacht, I know plenty of native speakers of Irish, I meet them and talk to them, in their native language, every day. In my experience, which extends well beyond a few (probably fictional) 'born and bred' Gaeltacht residents you supposedly know, their attitude to your so-called 'gaelgores' range from genuine warmth and acceptance to good natured tolerance of the rusty learner or over exuberant activist.
    You paint a picture of a strained relationship that simply does not exist. It may suit you to believe that 'real' Irish speakers agree with your prejudices and share your loathing of Irish speakers outside the Gaeltacht, but this is merely misguided fantasy on your part i'm afraid. I cannot stress this enough, it is the likes of you who constantly snipe at Irish speakers, deride the language and try to make Irish speakers feel inferior for using a language other than English that the residents of the Gaeltacht have no time for and consider to be tossers.

Please don't ever infer that your views are shared by muintir na Gaeltachta again, you have absolutely no right to insult them in that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

LordSutch wrote: »
    Pathetic, self-serving, deluded bollix.
    Another radio station. Yeah, sure, kids don't speak Irish because there's no Irish radio station.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Pathetic, self-serving, deluded bollix.
    Another radio station. Yeah, sure, kids don't speak Irish because there's no Irish radio station.

It's not for kids who don't speak Irish, it's for the ones that do speak Irish. As for there being no Irish radio station, there is of course, Raidio na Gaeltachta. The idea is to provide a second radio station that caters for a younger audience.
    Raidio na Gaeltachta is great and provides a good services to the Gaeltacht communities it serves, but one of the long standing criticisms of it has been that it does not really cater for young people very effectively. Young people in the Gaeltacht have been expressing for years the feeling that something else is needed. Up to know the compromise has been Anocht FM, a program on RnaG that was aimed at young people. Its fine to a point, but for the rest of the day there is not much to interest young people in the Gaeltacht on that station.

This ignores the fact that RnaG, while operating as a local radio station for the Gaeltacht is in fact broadcast nationally. While there is not much for young people in the Gaeltacht on RnaG during the day, there is next to nothing on it for young Irish speakers in the rest of the country.

Raidio Rí-Rá, an Irish Language station for young people was one attempted solution, but it is largely confined to being an internet station. They also broadcast a program through RnaG at night, but again, the problem of nothing interesting for young people on RnaG during the day remains.

Providing a second radio station for a younger audience is an idea that has been floating around for years. It's long been identified that the current set up is merely a compromise solution, the ideal solution is a second station that would act as an Irish language 2fm.

It makes sense to do it now because, with the Gaelscoileanna/Gaelcholaistí only becoming more widespread, you have an existing and growing audience that is not being effectively catered for at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Gael Mire wrote: »
    It makes sense to do it now because, with the Gaelscoileanna/Gaelcholaistí only becoming more widespread, you have an existing and growing audience that is not being effectively catered for at present.

Given that Raidio na Gaeltachta don't even have enough audience to show up in radio audience figures I don't think there is much of an argument for creating another radio station to cater for a subsection of their audience. You could of course but then you could create a radio station for Irish speaking toddlers too.

http://www.bai.ie/?ddownload=128200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It contains a revealing quote which would certainly contribute to The Corithian's theory of grant-grabbing "Gaelgores":

"I think if I’m being honest it had a lot to do with the fact that we could get funding. It would be nice to be able to say we were doing it because we want
    to use Irish but it was mainly to do with the funding… "

http://www.udaras.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Utilising-a-Minority-Language-to-Develop-Brand-Identity.pdf
    My principle critizism is that the question of the language has become one of maintaining a financial status quo, rather than aid the language. It's decline is such that it may be too late to save it at this stage, but even if not it will not survive should the present approach be maintained.

It's not just grants, but a huge number of jobs that are at least in part supporting the language. Civil servants, translators, teachers and the like employed to perpetuate a system that does not work and has failed to increase the number of speakers.

As long as they can maintain the level of tokenism that exists - English school copybooks with Bearla written on them, letters in English that open with 'a chara' and end in 'is mise le meas' their funding and/or jobs are safe. That it has failed to make the language widely spoken and is instead slowly suffocating it is a secondary consideration.
    I work in the Gaeltacht, I know plenty of native speakers of Irish, I meet them and talk to them, in their native language, every day. In my experience, which extends well beyond a few (probably fictional) 'born and bred' Gaeltacht residents you supposedly know, their attitude to your so-called 'gaelgores' range from genuine warmth and acceptance to good natured tolerance of the rusty learner or over exuberant activist.
    Well, if we're going to start claiming that we're all making up our facts, might I suggest you are inventing them yourself? Are you employed in an area that benefits financially from Irish's special poisiton, BTW?

Like it or not, I know a number who have grown up in the Gaeltacht and consider the manner in which the language has been promoted as little more than a scam. They don't hate the language - for many it is their native language - just the system and hold in contempt something which is for them slowly allowing the language to die as long as the gravy train keeps on rolling.

And not all of them are native speakers, BTW. One gave the example to me that she is recorded as a native speaker, despite having only marginally more than me. Inspectors would arrive to her house, coach her family along in the interview and tick the boxes.

But you're welcome to consider all this fictional, bury your head in the sand and cash your paycheques.
    Please don't ever infer that your views are shared by muintir na Gaeltachta again, you have absolutely no right to insult them in that way.
    Muintir na Gaeltachta... the way you use it, I suspect that translates as Herrenvolk in German.

Well, if we're going to start claiming that we're all making up our facts, might I suggest you are inventing them yourself? Are you employed in an area that benefits financially from Irish's special poisiton, BTW?

You may suggest anything you like, however it is what is said, rather than who is saying it that determines the factual basis of a position. What you are saying is, simply, false.
    I am employed in community development in the Gaeltacht, I work with organisations and individuals who carry out their business and their lives primarily through Irish, as do I.
    Like it or not, I know a number who have grown up in the Gaeltacht and consider the manner in which the language has been promoted as little more than a scam. They don't hate the language - for many it is their native language - just the system and hold in contempt something which is for them slowly allowing the language to die as long as the gravy train keeps on rolling.

Like it or not, that position is out of sync with the vast majority of Gaeltacht residents. The little fact that is escaping you is that the vast majority of people living in the Gaeltacht don't want the state smother the life out of the language with negligence, they don't want to be forced to speak English by the civil service they pay for with their taxes. They don't see the existence of state services in Irish and state supports for the survival of their communities as a 'gravy train'.

They want the Gaeltacht to survive and thrive, they want Irish to remain as the language of their community and they recognize that the state has a role to play in supporting that. They want Irish to be the medium of instruction in their schools because Irish is their language. They want to use Irish in their lives and pass it on their children without being held back and frustrated by public services that fail to provide necessary services in Irish. They want the state to recognise their language and they expect the state to provide state services in Irish just like people in the rest of the country expect to have access to these services in English. They don't consider this to be a 'special position', they consider it to be their basic right as Irish citizens.

They do not want them or their children to be sneered or made to feel inferior or backward because they speak Irish. A language has no life beyond its speakers, the constant snide remarks from the likes of you to a dead/almost dead and backward language are, for them, aimed directly at them, their identity and their communities.

They don't have a problem with Irish speakers or Irish language organisations outside the Gaeltacht. Indeed there are quite strong links between Irish language groups both in and outside the Gaeltacht and often
    as well as personal friendships. Its not Irish speakers outside the Gaeltacht that Gaeltacht residents have a problem with, its the gobshítes who constantly attack them and their language that they dislike. Those who try to shut down supports for the language and who's ideas would see the heart ripped out of their communities, those are the people whom Gaeltacht residents have a problem with. They also have a particular dislike for lip service to the language from the state, the empty pious words that some politicians tend to wrap themselves in without doing a jot for the language or their communities.

What you need to understand is that speakers of Irish are a community. That community has its own internal dialogue and Zeitgeist. It has its own values, clichés, ways of thinking and expressing ideas and its own internal disagreements. It has its own system of recognition (ie in the English Speaking world someone might be known for having a best seller or winning a Pulitzer Prize, in the Irish speaking community, someone might be known for winning Corn Uí Riada or Gradam Cumarsáid an Oireachtais). It has its public figures, leaders and rebels, it's 'known trouble makers', cranks, crackpots and public enemies, much like any community does.

Much of this internal dialogue is hidden from you. It largely takes place in Irish, through its own media (RnaG, TG4, Tuairisc.ie and a host of other blogs, sites, local radio, social media etc) and because you can't see it, you probably assume it does not exist and have a very simplistic view of this community as a result.

You don't belong to this community (I don't mean to be exclusionary here, you could if you wished, but very clearly choose not to). You don't know it, you are ill-informed and have no place speaking on its behalf.
    And not all of them are native speakers, BTW. One gave the example to me that she is recorded as a native speaker, despite having only marginally more than me. Inspectors would arrive to her house, coach her family along in the interview and tick the boxes.

Sorry, you are being lied to, or lying yourself. There are no inspectors, no interviews, no recording who is or is not a native speaker. There is the census, which is carried out in exactly the same way in the Gaeltacht as everywhere else and does not ask if someone is a Native speaker.
    There was Scéim Labhairt na Gaeilge, which was a small financial aid for families raising their children through Irish, but again, there were no inspectors arriving at peoples houses, it was a small language proficiency test carried out in Gaeltacht schools to assess if the child is being raised with Irish or not. That scheme has not been around for several years though.
    Muintir na Gaeltachta... the way you use it, I suspect that translates as Herrenvolk in German.

Sure, we are all Nazi's to you.

Ethnic abuse is the undermining of the self-esteem and cultural identity of another person.

Like the constant parroting about how Irish is a dead language and its (handful of) speakers are all backward Conamara sheep farmers that Gaelophobes delight in engaging in?

You may suggest anything you like, however it is what is said, rather than who is saying it that determines the factual basis of a position. What you are saying is, simply, false.
    On the other hand it may well be you who's talking through their arse - but don't let your blind conviction shake your articles of faith.
    I am employed in community development in the Gaeltacht, I work with organisations and individuals who carry out their business and their lives primarily through Irish, as do I.
    Which makes you one of the very people who have a vested interest in the system, to keep the status quo that has slowly strangled the language. Take a bow.

Pointless arguing. I'll leave you to squeeze another few decades out of it until it's eventually consigned to the dustbin of history. Then you can blame everyone else for why a policy of status quo, that you support, killed it. Ireland will be worse off without Irish, but at least it'll be better off without the parasites who succeed at her teat till it was dry.

On the other hand it may well be you who's talking through their arse - but don't let your blind conviction shake your articles of faith.

Of course it is you, who have no experience, useful information or interaction with the Gaeltacht or Irish speaking communities who is right, and I, who works with them every day, that is blind. Perhaps it is your own arrogant convictions that you should be examining.
    Which makes you one of the very people who have a vested interest in the system, to keep the status quo that has slowly strangled the language. Take a bow.

It's a very convenient logical loop you have created for yourself there.
    You know exactly what the problem is and the solution. Everyone involved in working with Gaeltacht communities, teaching the language, developing economic opportunities, creating spaces and supports for families to pass the language to the next generation and for the language to be used as an everyday means of communication in the community can simply be dismissed when they disagree with you because they are merely pigs at the through. Of course you know better than they do.

It is you, who has done nothing and helped no one, that has no contact with or idea of these communities that sees the truth clearly. It seems that only the handful of individuals who happen to agree with your nonsense are above reproach.

You sound very much like a creationist who scoffs at the the scientific community and everyone else who points out the faults in their nonsense, brushing it off merely by repeating the mantra that they all have a 'vested interest'.
    Pointless arguing.

I could not agree more.

Of course it is you, who have no experience, useful information or interaction with the Gaeltacht or Irish speaking communities who is right, and I, who works with them every day, that is blind. Perhaps it is your own arrogant convictions that you should be examining.
    As opposed to you who have a vested interest in the whole sorry corrupt system you're defending?

You lost all credibility the moment you admitted you're on the payroll.

• Advertisement

As opposed to you who have a vested interest in the whole sorry corrupt system you're defending?

You lost all credibility the moment you admitted you're on the payroll.

I don't understand how that commentator has "lost all credibility" because they are a community development officer in a Gaeltacht area? He or she actually has very insightful posts based on their experience. Chances are, if you want to listen the viewpoint of people who live in the Gaeltacht, they will be employed in a supported sector because these are remote rural areas.

Your obsession with funding is unreasonable, especially since funding given to Gaeltacht business/development could likely be supported for reasons of balanced spacial development alone.

I already explained that I have no vested interest and that didn't stop you ignoring almost all the points I made except that one quote which I found for you to support your argument! Credibility cuts both ways!

the ideal solution is a second station that would act as an Irish language 2fm.
    What language would the songs be in?

What language would the songs be in?

English I imagine.... you listen to a lot of pop-radio stations across Europe and you'll notice the same...

Like the constant parroting about how Irish is a dead language and its (handful of) speakers are all backward Conamara sheep farmers that Gaelophobes delight in engaging in?
    So it's an eye-for-an-eye?

You miss the point: if you want to understand why Irish has failed, you must understand the root of the reluctance to learn Irish and speak it.

You miss the point: if you want to understand why Irish has failed, you must understand the root of the reluctance to learn Irish and speak it.

Apathy?
    Poor teaching?
    Lack of confidence?
    Emotional hostility?

Any others that haven't been covered?

And Irish hasn't failed, sure as Dan_Solo said, Irish only died recently, plenty of time to turn things around.

And to those of ye that had shíte Irish teachers I say this - if you had a shíte butcher would ye all become vegetarians?! No of course not, you'd get another butcher - so give Irish a try with someone else!

English I imagine.... you listen to a lot of pop-radio stations across Europe and you'll notice the same...
    Such stations are usually blamed for the pollution of the local languages by imported English words.

Would the station would play the same music as its equivalent in Sussex?

And Irish hasn't failed, sure as Dan_Solo said, Irish only died recently, plenty of time to turn things around.

We've had nearly 100 years. It isn't happening. At the minute it's just an excuse for the state to hire unemployable people.

Such stations are usually blamed for the pollution of the local languages by imported English words.

I don't see that issue arising here somehow! If anything the Irish words might be polluting our English :eek:
    Would the station would play the same music as its equivalent in Sussex?

Who knows - I guess the producers would decide. Would you consider listening in to find out?

We've had nearly 100 years. It isn't happening. At the minute it's just an excuse for the state to hire unemployable people.

A sort of Jáb-bridge? ;)

• Advertisement

A sort of Jáb-bridge? ;)

Spare me. I'm referring to the likes of RnaG, Foras na Gaeilge, TG4 and any other inept state enterprise which is as unfit for purpose as that joke of a curriculum.

Who knows - I guess the producers would decide. Would you consider listening in to find out?
    I prefer to listen to Irish music and a presenter speaking our melodiuos, witty, native hiberno-English.

Hip-hop or techno with an Irish-language DJ would just be sad. It would represent all that is bizarre in the Irish language movement.

I prefer to listen to Irish music and a presenter speaking our melodiuos, witty, native hiberno-English.

Hip-hop or techno with an Irish-language DJ would just be sad. It would represent all that is bizarre in the Irish language movement.
    I-Radio has a DJ who speaks mostly English, but smatters her patter with a large number of Irish words.

"And Anseo we have tar éis the Nuacht some coel nua!" and the like.

Spare me. I'm referring to the likes of RnaG, Foras na Gaeilge, TG4 and any other inept state enterprise which is as unfit for purpose as that joke of a curriculum.

I don't really follow RnaG or Foras na Gaeilge but I like watching programmes on TG4? What exactly makes TG4 an "inept state enterprise"?

I don't really follow RnaG or Foras na Gaeilge but I like watching programmes on TG4? What exactly makes TG4 an "inept state enterprise"?

Most of the programming was in English the last time I was watching it. In any case, why should the taxpayer be forced into paying for it?

I-Radio has a DJ who speaks mostly English, but smatters her patter with a large number of Irish words.

"And Anseo we have tar éis the Nuacht some coel nua!" and the like.

Classy!:D

• Advertisement

Most of the programming was in English the last time I was watching it. In any case, why should the taxpayer be forced into paying for it?

Could say the same for RTÉ? Are you anti-State broadcasting or part of the Capitalista brigade in media in general?

Funnily enough, I am watching a series called "An Bronntanas" on TG4 at the moment (pretty decent btw) but it's gas how the characters break into English at times, especially if they are getting angry!

Could say the same for RTÉ? Are you anti-State broadcasting or part of the Capitalista brigade in media in general?

Funnily enough, I am watching a series called "An Bronntanas" on TG4 at the moment (pretty decent btw) but it's gas how the characters break into English at times, especially if they are getting angry!

That's your justification? TG4 is like an other "pro-Irish" endeavour the state has initiated; completely worthless. It's barely any better than RTÉ. Let the people who actually watch it pay for it.

That's your justification? TG4 is like an other "pro-Irish" endeavour the state has initiated; completely worthless. It's barely any better than RTÉ. Let the people who actually watch it pay for it.

Justification for what? Your post complained that there wasn't enough Irish language programming on TG4 and then made a swipe at publicly funded television...?

Let the people who watch the Late Late Show pay for it too! The point is that Public Service Broadcasting is a facility available to all who pay the TV licence fee.

Do you only want private media outlets? Let "the market" decide is it?

Justification for what? Your post complained that there wasn't enough Irish language programming on TG4 and then made a swipe at publicly funded television...?

Let the people who watch the Late Late Show pay for it too! The point is that Public Service Broadcasting is a facility available to all who pay the TV licence fee.

Do you only want private media outlets? Let "the market" decide is it?

I just hate to see taxpayers' money being wasted on things that aren't fit for purpose. At least if TG4 were in Irish you could applaud it for trying at least.

I just hate to see taxpayers' money being wasted on things that aren't fit for purpose. At least if TG4 were in Irish you could applaud it for trying at least.

But it is and I've no doubt they're doing their best with the resources they have.

Your argument amounts to giving a man in the desert a fishing rod and then complaining he isn't landing any fish!

• Advertisement
Advertisement