Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Differences in UFH Specs

Options
  • 29-05-2015 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I had more or less decided on the supplier for my UFH but was asked recently to put my plans through for a quote with another company. The new quote is way, way cheaper than my old supplier.

Can anyone help me with the questions I should be asking both companies so I can see just what the difference is - apart from the price!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

the spaces between the pipes you should be looking at 100mm centers

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

There's a few things that makes the price different between companies....

1.) Some Companies only provide clips to hold down the pipes, others provide clip rails and clips
    2.) Some companies use pre-groved insulation with the tracks in the insulation to insert the pipes into, these are machine done to suit the design, others don't provide any such insulation at all
    3.) Some companies provide a plastic layer which has hexagon shaped upstands that the pipe clip in between and can hold the pipe down.
    4.) Different companies may have different spacings in the pipe which could be 100mm 150mm 200mm etc. depending on the design, which will have an overall effect on the length of pipe required
    5.) The amount of zones might differ between companies, and then this may have an effect on the manifold sizes, room stats required, actuators etc.
    6.) Also the pumps for the manifolds to pump the water around the UFH circuit could be different makes, and pumps can vary in price by a good bit, branding and all.....eg a BMW is dearer than a Ford but does the same thing really....pumps are of the same idea

Your best bet would be to make sure you get an entire breakdown of what each company is providing you with and what specs for everything, that might show you where the difference in price is coming from.

It's not always just underfloor heating pipes and manifolds that's been provided.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

hexosan wrote: »
    the spaces between the pipes you should be looking at 100mm centers

The newer, cheaper, quote states 200mm centres - way too spaced out???

I must ask the original supplier what their original quote specifies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

BarneyMc wrote: »
    The newer, cheaper, quote states 200mm centres - way too spaced out???

160mm to 200mm depending on design. I also had a similar concern as I had 3 floors and it gradually got wider but it was mainly in the bedrooms.

Re the comment on clips and rails, I was advised to stay away from the rails as other trades including the lads pouring the screed standing on these may cause the pipes to kink and it'll be 2 months before that underfloor is switched on or know about it.

Never checked up manifolds or pumps myself, would be interested to know how to identify the good brands from the bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

160mm to 200mm depending on design. I also had a similar concern as I had 3 floors and it gradually got wider but it was mainly in the bedrooms.

Re the comment on clips and rails, I was advised to stay away from the rails as other trades including the lads pouring the screed standing on these may cause the pipes to kink and it'll be 2 months before that underfloor is switched on or know about it.

Never checked up manifolds or pumps myself, would be interested to know how to identify the good brands from the bad.

If not using clips and rails how are you fixing the pipes down ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

hexosan wrote: »
    If not using clips and rails how are you fixing the pipes down ?

Not using rails, clips only. I was advised to stay away from the rails and use clips. I can see how this is maybe the cheaper but it made sense at the time.

Advertisement