Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrot cake tin assistance please!

• 30-05-2015 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭

I have all the ingredients I need for a carrot cake, but I'm confused about what tin to use.

I have a standard baking tray, like this: http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/baking-trays/bakers-select-bakeroast-pan/invt/048240

And I have a 2lb loaf tin. I also have two 8-inch sandwich pans.

What's the best one to use for the carrot cake?

Also, when making the frosting, what do I mix the cream cheese with?
    Surely I don't just top the cake with JUST cream cheese?
    (The recipe I have doesn't provide information for the cream cheese topping)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd use the two sandwich tins and do it like a Victoria sponge with icing between and on top. Cream cheese icing is usually cream cheese (you'll need the full fat version or it will have no structure and will just ooze off the cake), icing sugar, butter and maybe a squeeze of lemon juice.

Try googling Hummingbird Bakery cream cheese frosting for a good one (it doesn't mention lemon juice, but I like to add a bit, or maybe lemon rind, because I like the tartness).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

What quantities are in your recipe? Hard to know what tin size without that info. I agree the sandwich tins are probably best depending on the quantity, the roasting tin would take a very large mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭sdp

heres a topping that is quite nice,( mind you very rich) it will cover a pan size 23 by 23cm baking pan,
    125g of butter soften well, softer the better
    500g full fat cream cheese
    315g of white chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
    juice of one orange
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    with mixer , cream the butter and cream cheese until thoroughly mixed
    pour in melted chocolate mix till all combined,
    add orange juice and vanilla, mix again till combined,
    sorry can't help with tin size, as phormium says, hard to say with out quantities,
    Good luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I would use the standard square baking tray, but like Phormium said, it would depend on the volume of your ingredients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I ended up using two 8-inch silicone moulds.
    They were excellent!
    Thanks everyone; I shall upload a pic of the finished cake later :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement