Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hobo stove burn time

Options
  • 30-05-2015 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

i made a few of these hobo stoves from empty tuna cans, cardboard and candle wax a few months ago and decided to test the burn time. This is 3 hours and counting and still going strong!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

is it just the wax that's burning??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Think so, the cardboard hasn't got ant lower. To say I'm impressed would be an understatement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I think the acid test is will it boil water? Get a pan on top of it and see how long it takes to boil say 500ml of water.

With a pan over them I think these sort of stoves burn a bit hotter because of the reflected heat from the base melts the wax quicker so in use heating a pan it might not run for as long.

It boils water great, used my steel cup with it nearly full and it boiled it much quicker than a hexi cooker. Must try it with the mess tins and a bit of grub

Was thinking the same myself that the burn time would reduce if cooking, still impressed with the time though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

aaakev wrote: »
    i made a few of these hobo stoves from empty tuna cans, cardboard and candle wax a few months ago and decided to test the burn time. This is 3 hours and counting and still going strong!

Good man, very inventive! I have invested in a rocket stove in anticipation of the long dark night... not so bad provided you have plenty of twigs to burn. :)

• Advertisement

anvilfour wrote: »
    Good man, very inventive! I have invested in a rocket stove in anticipation of the long dark night... not so bad provided you have plenty of twigs to burn. :)

They will burn anything, twigs, dry grass, dry animal droppings (which actually burn quite well if they are dry enough ) you should collect a few bits to always have with the stove s9 that way if you feel like making a hot drink while your out you will uave everything ready to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

aaakev wrote: »
    They will burn anything, twigs, dry grass, dry animal droppings (which actually burn quite well if they are dry enough ) you should collect a few bits to always have with the stove s9 that way if you feel like making a hot drink while your out you will uave everything ready to go!

I have read that wood pellet cat litter example is yet another possible fuel for rocket and kelly kettle type stoves.

I can't really see why you'd carry wood pellet cat litter around with you for fuel when you can pick it up but if you were sold on using a wood burning then it would sort out the problem of finding fuel when it was in short supply or for some just be convenient.

Advertisement