Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent residency requirements?

Options
  • 30-05-2015 6:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hey guy,

Nearing on my 9 month over in Vancouver and it's been one hell of a roller coaster so far.

I'm thinking about applying for permanent residency status but for whatever reason, I can't seem to find the requirements required to apply. All I've found so far is information that seems quite convoluted and not very clear.

Has anyone applied, and if so was it relatively straight forward? What did you have to do?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

It all depends on your field of work. What do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

I'm a Graphic Designer.

I don't know if this is a profession I want to stay in so I hope that's not something that'll work against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

If you reside in, or intend to reside in Quebec (initially) you must first apply to Quebec as they want to approve all PR first. If successful with Quebec, you may then apply to the Federal PR system.

In every other Province you can apply directly to the Federal PR system.

You will find all the info you need on the CIC website.

This page in particular has enough to get you started.
    Determine your eligibility—Immigrate to Canada
    There are two ways to find out which immigration program is better suited to your situation.

1. You can use our easy online tool and answer a few questions.
    Answer a few questions to find out what immigration programs you can apply for, and how to submit an online or paper application. Find out how to come to Canada.

2. If you already know which program you are interested in, you can read about it:
    Programs for workers

Express Entry for skilled immigrants
    Federal skilled workers (for people with skilled professional work experience)
    Canadian Experience Class (for people with in-Canada skilled professional work experience)
    Federal Skilled Trades Program (for people with experience in skilled manual work)
    Quebec-selected skilled workers (for people with skilled work experience who want to live in the province of Quebec)
    Provincial nominees (for people who want to go to a specific province)
    Start-up visa (for people who have a business idea and someone to fund it)
    Self-employed people (for people who want to be self-employed in agriculture, sports, or the arts)
    Caregivers
    Sponsorship programs

Family sponsorship
    Sponsoring refugees
    Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/eligibility.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

If you reside in, or intend to reside in Quebec (initially) you must first apply to Quebec as they want to approve all PR first. If successful with Quebec, you may then apply to the Federal PR system.

The first line of his post states that he lives in Vancouver...

Graphic designer falls into NOC category B making you eligible for Express Entry.

Its works on a points system, you gain points for work experience, spoken language, education etc etc. A draw is held every few weeks with a point threshold and all applicants above are invited to apply.

Having a job offer supported by a LMIA will give you 600 points and is a way to secure your place. A LMIA isn't as hard to get as everyone makes out, it's just all about following the rules and jumping through the hoops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

Vancouver has the PNP system doesn't it? Know a few Irish folk who got sorted pretty fast using that route, though I'm not fully sure it's still ongoing given the changes that have been made recently

• Advertisement
Advertisement