Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viking rocks Baileys new street

Options
  • 30-05-2015 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

was down at it last night, couple decent bands, €5 entry and free pint when in. badly attended, which is a real pity. hopefully people make an effort tonight, Frank and Walters, Pale, Delorentos on tonight and tomorrow, not bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

nothing there for me im afraid. hope it goes well though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Ah shyte, if i had known the pale were playing tonight i would have organised to get the night off :( i wasn't even aware there was something on down there this weekend...

H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

First I heard of it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yea looks like this one has been very badly advertised. pity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I think it needed more publicity to be honest, first I heard about it was a day before the actual event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Same here, only saw it in one of the free papers on Friday. Would have liked to seen Delorentos, but would need more notice than that to get someone up to mind the small kids and dogs! Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

This is the first I've heard of this, must have been very poorly advertised, I see I'm not the only one.

Its a shame, cos i would have gone down for the whole night, and i would have brought a good few people with me if i knew it was on...

Its good that we are seeing things like this in Waterford, but please advertise it so we know it's happening

H

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

They advertised all over Facebook, all over the radio and all over the local papers for the past month. Do you people need them to knock on your door and give you a personal invitation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

They advertised all over Facebook, all over the radio and all over the local papers for the past month.

And yet, people (not just people posting on this thread) appear to have known nothing about this :confused:

• Advertisement

Im not on facebook, but heard nothing on radio, nor any posters around town advertising it.

The problem now days is that there is too much reliance on facebook to promote events and nobody bothers heading down to the print shop for a heap of posters anymore

H

Heathen wrote: »
    Im not on facebook, but heard nothing on radio, nor any posters around town advertising it.

The problem now days is that there is too much reliance on facebook to promote events and nobody bothers heading down to the print shop for a heap of posters anymore

H

Can't argue with that. Still, I saw it all over WLR's page and heard it on there too. Surprised that I'm the only one on this thread tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Im surprised no one heard about it, it was all over WLR, interviews etc. It was in the N&S and the M.E.. Id guess there was some sort of facebook/twitter notification for people who are into that. I kinda make an effort to find out whats on around, mainly by keeping my eyes and ears open, reading local newspapers and listening to WLR. I would have presumed most are the same but im not on facebook/twitter generation where the idea of looking at the local paper might be a bit alien to them.
    Is this a case of not advertising well enough or is it a case of people just dont make an effort to find out whats on around as they know they will do the same stuff they do most weekends????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Max Powers wrote:
    Im surprised no one heard about it, it was all over WLR, interviews etc. It was in the N&S and the M.E.. Id guess there was some sort of facebook/twitter notification for people who are into that. I kinda make an effort to find out whats on around, mainly by keeping my eyes and ears open, reading local newspapers and listening to WLR. I would have presumed most are the same but im not on facebook/twitter generation where the idea of looking at the local paper might be a bit alien to them. Is this a case of not advertising well enough or is it a case of people just dont make an effort to find out whats on around as they know they will do the same stuff they do most weekends????

Not everyone in Waterford listens to wlfrm. Surely they could of publicised it better through alternative means?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Not everyone in Waterford listens to wlfrm. Surely they could of publicised it better through alternative means?
    So we've established not everyone in Waterford is on Facebook, not everyone in Waterford listens to WLR. It was advertised in the papers. So what are these alternative means, a poster in Istanbul?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Adyx wrote: »
    So we've established not everyone in Waterford is on Facebook, not everyone in Waterford listens to WLR. It was advertised in the papers. So what are these alternative means, a poster in Istanbul?

Posters on the streets?

Posters on the streets?

So...litter you mean? Put a poster on the street now and you'll be fined. They actually have a department for it and if you advertise an event and stick a poster on the street, they will send a fine to the organisers of said event.

So, this festival advertised on Facebook, WLR, all the local papers...what else should they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

So...litter you mean? Put a poster on the street now and you'll be fined. They actually have a department for it and if you advertise an event and stick a poster on the street, they will send a fine to the organisers of said event.

So, this festival advertised on Facebook, WLR, all the local papers...what else should they have done.

How is a poster on a wall littering?
    Must just be a Waterford thing. Dublin has loads of posters/billboards for events in pretty much every venue.

How is a poster on a wall littering?
    Must just be a Waterford thing. Dublin has loads of posters/billboards for events in pretty much every venue.

I can't answer that. You'll have to ask City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I can't answer that. You'll have to ask City Council.

As someone who posters for events in Waterford, on street postering is illegal and a nuisance, but you can poster legally in plenty of places around the town; take aways, pubs and venues, taxi offices, and shops to name a few.

It's a very successful way to get the message out to people at very low cost, they could have done a much better job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Let's just take a comparison of another series of events taking place over the summer in Leopardstown Race Course over the summer called Bulmers Live. The Delorento's are headlining one of the nights, so it's a good comparitor.

So far I've seen billboards at Luas stops which go near there advertising the event, posters, and crucially coverage on NATIONAL radio in the form of Today FM and Newstalk.

Even when in Waterford, I very rarely tune into the likes of WLR. I'd say a lot of people are the same. People are reading less and less newspapers in general, and our local papers are awful reads.

Now, people will say budget might be an issue, but you need to get something on the national airwaves to draw people in. It seems that they've made no effort to advertise outside of Waterford, and as everyone knows the Waterford people are hard to get out in numbers.

I honestly don't think the organisers were trying to get a Leopardstown-sized crowd into Bailey's New Street. :pac: I get what people are saying but this was not Daytripper. There was little need for national advertisement. Friday night was very quiet but that's to be expected given the lack of a "big-name" headliner. Saturday and Sunday were obviously affected by the poor weather but both nights were very busy considering. Just because a few people on Boards didn't know, doesn't mean nobody else didn't or that it was poorly attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

hardybuck wrote: »
    Let's just take a comparison of another series of events taking place over the summer in Leopardstown Race Course over the summer called Bulmers Live. The Delorento's are headlining one of the nights, so it's a good comparitor.

So far I've seen billboards at Luas stops which go near there advertising the event, posters, and crucially coverage on NATIONAL radio in the form of Today FM and Newstalk.

Even when in Waterford, I very rarely tune into the likes of WLR. I'd say a lot of people are the same. People are reading less and less newspapers in general, and our local papers are awful reads.

Now, people will say budget might be an issue, but you need to get something on the national airwaves to draw people in. It seems that they've made no effort to advertise outside of Waterford, and as everyone knows the Waterford people are hard to get out in numbers.

The fact that the Delorentos are also playing Bulmers Live is the only comparison between these events. Bulmers live runs throughout the summer as an add on to the racing card June 11 - Aslan, June 18 - The Hot Sprockets, June 25 - Delorentos, July 09 - Hermitage Green, July 16 - The High Kings, July 23 - Damien Dempsey, August 6 - TBA, August 13 - TBA.

The advertising budget would be huge in comparison to Bailey's New St event which would allow for the billboards at Luas stops and ads on national broadcasters etc. The advertising is also aimed at race goers but music fans.

In short, to compare both is like comparing apples with apple drops!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Ah lads, my apologies. In my head I was thinking Bolton Street car park - and maybe Daytripper.

I'd make the similar comments about Daytripper though - need to get the message out much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

It was all over WLR & the local papers so don't see how anybody could have missed it but obviously some people did!

FYI https://www.facebook.com/pages/Waterford-Country-Fair/712555788872303

is an event happening on June 14th in Mount Congreve in aid of CRY Ireland. Adults 10e Kids under 12 free.

CRY Ireland is a registered Irish Charity, established in 2002 by parents and relatives who have experienced the effects of sudden and unexplained deaths within their families. CRY does not receive any government funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

comeraghs wrote: »
    It was all over WLR & the local papers so don't see how anybody could have missed it but obviously some people did!

I listen to TodayFM, and don't buy newspapers. Like I said before, I flicked through the free paper (Waterford Today) and saw the ad but it was too late for me to make plans. Granted, I don't have a Facebook page, but my gf does and I saw nothing about it on Boards and there was no talk about it in my circle of friends, a lot of whom are into live music and would turn up to the opening of a bag of crisps! :pac:

There was definitely more that could have been done to advertise, but who knows, it could have been outside of their budget to do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Brendão wrote: »
    I listen to TodayFM, and don't buy newspapers. Like I said before, I flicked through the free paper (Waterford Today) and saw the ad but it was too late for me to make plans. Granted, I don't have a Facebook page, but my gf does and I saw nothing about it on Boards and there was no talk about it in my circle of friends, a lot of whom are into live music and would turn up to the opening of a bag of crisps! :pac:

There was definitely more that could have been done to advertise, but who knows, it could have been outside of their budget to do more.

If you don't listen to local or regional radio, don't buy any local papers, and aren't on social media... Short of calling round to your house with a handwritten invitation, I'm not sure what else you expected of the organisers of a local event in its first year. You'll probably miss out on a few things going on in Waterford this summer.

Brendão wrote: »

The only place on Boards to put it is in the Waterford City Event Guide thread and honestly I don't think anyone reads that. I really don't see what more could have been done. There was posters in the Reg about it so it's quite possible there was a few in some of the chippers too. There was also ads on the TVs in the Reg for it. Like I said it was fairly well attended apart from Friday so obviously some people got the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Adyx wrote: »
    The only place on Boards to put it is in the Waterford City Event Guide thread and honestly I don't think anyone reads that. I really don't see what more could have been done. There was posters in the Reg about it so it's quite possible there was a few in some of the chippers too. There was also ads on the TVs in the Reg for it. Like I said it was fairly well attended apart from Friday so obviously some people got the message.

The Reg put it on, there'd want to be promotional material on their premises!

• Advertisement

The Reg put it on, there'd want to be promotional material on their premises!
    Oh I know. :p My point was the same posters were probably put up elsewhere in town as well, which someone mentioned as something they should have done.

Advertisement