Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kennel/Cattery - Kildare

• 30-05-2015 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

I'm getting married in 2 months and need to find somewhere preferable in kildare to house the cat and dog for about three weeks.

A) any recommendations?
    b) the dog has been in kennels before with his previous owner but the cat is another story. She is very much an indoor/outdoor/suit herself cat. She came with the house we bought. So my concerns are (1) that she isn't litter trained - is that a problem? (2) As far as I know, she has never been away from this house. Is she going to frreak out and how do we minimise this?

We'll be gone too long to just have someone pop in and feed her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

I just got back from a holiday and left my 1 year old Ragdoll a well known cat spa run by a charity organisation - I really thought this was the best option after mega research however, it was a huge mistake. I felt secure by filling in so many forms asking about his personality etc. and reading on website that so many 'carers' came in to play with the cats during the day. I emailed during my holiday and was told my cat was still timid but was eating and toileting (a good sign), but was still worried. When we arrived back after 10 days my poor cat was stuck in his pet carrier/basket and was miaowing inside and not coming out on our arrival. Eventually I coaxed him out, his basked was matted in thick fur and so was the external blanket I had laid before our departure. My cat was so traumatised he wouldn't come out of the basket, so we closed it and left. He miaowed the whole journey from the Dublin Mountains to Clontarf in top note - we couldn't concentrate on directions. He licked my hands non stop with delight to see me and I cried the whole way home. However, he cried for 3 days solid once we got him home, he couldn't settle and was so distressed with every loud noise. Even now, a week later he won't lie on my bed beside me every evening like he always did. He hides under the bed and is super timid... it really makes me wonder. The worst part was that his fur was thick and matted as he hadn't been brushed for the entire stay - 10 days. We brush him twice a day and I left his brush and it came back clean. In addition his treats also came back so it shows he wasn't even given those. It breaks my heart to think my baby was mistreated like this as I emailed to check on him. I would have been on next flight home if I thought he was unhappy as he is such an important part of my family - he is more important to me than a stupid holiday. Beware if going on holiday and try to get housesitters - thats my next plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

What a sad story Rachel :( Hope he gets back to normal soon.

I'm going on holiday soon for a couple weeks. I can't afford a housesitter, so I'm boarding mine at the vet's. Hope it will be a better experience. Friends of mine have boarded theirs at the same vet for years and speak highly of it. It's in Dublin not Kildare though - OP maybe you could ask around about local vets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I spoke to a local cattery who gets a lot of recommendations but unfortunately she's unavailable when we need cover but she recommended another place and we went and viewed it. All the cats were chilled out and relaxed so hopefully she'll be OK.

The dog is going to stay with family.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Try to keep a few pieces of stuff that you wear close to your body (such as a towel) unwashed the week or two before going to go with the kitty; the familiarity of your smells will help make the transition be less fearful because at least there's something smelling of home and you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

I use one in Celbridge and have no complaints about it. PM me if you need details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

We going to be away (UK) for 5 wks (work related) later this year. Ive just had the dog chipped/rabies/passport. Hes coming with us cos couldnt leave him in kennels for that long :rolleyes: and dont have family/friends I could ask/trust.
    Tux on the other hand is a problem. Shes mostly out, but in at night. I had thought to move her beds to an annexe, where I can leave the window open for access in/out. I had thought to put her in there at night (with the window closed) for a week or so so she knows its her new "bedroom"
    I will have someone come and put her food/water there every day.
    Is this going to work?
    She (a found feral kitten) is not good with strangers, and a cattery is out of the question.
    I reckon, as long as she has shelter, her beds, water, food every day, it will be ok. Yes, she wont have human contact, but she will be in her home/familiar place. Will this work?!
    Oh, my daughter who is at college, will be home every weekend. Maybe thurs eve - Monday. So Tux can be back indoors for 4 days/week (and human contact then)
    What do you cat professionals think (me being new to cats)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The problem is if Tux can get there so can another cat; which means they may decide they don't want to share their feeding area. Could you not instead try to start her to be used to be indoors for longer and longer times? Yes she'll complain about not being allowed out but that way she'll not be at risk and she'll be fed without problem and she's not at risk getting hurt while no one is around (they pick up the idea of kitty toilets after being put in one directly so that's easy to handle).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Couldn't top Cattery Cottage in Dunlavin; my auntie takes her cats there and she's in Naas! It's small-scale and they really do get the individual attention there. Martina even sends pics and videos to you during their stay. The place looks very comfortable and immaculate, too.:)

My aunt has also boarded her cats at the Canine Country Club in Sallins and she said it was fine. Just you couldn't top Martina. :)

Thanks Boomerang, I will check Cattery Cottage out.

Nody, I appreciate what you are saying. Tux is litter trained. She is happy to be in the house for hours at a time. She sleeps in the house at night.

The problem is that when we go to the UK, there will be no-one in the house for a few days/week. I could impose on an elderly neighbour to come once/day to put food in the annexe for Tux. Then my daughter will be home for thurs-monday. But for the few days she is on her own, I cant leave her in the house. The elderly neighbour would not be up for going in/out the house.
    You see, this is what I always believed about cats (taking into consideration that Ive had Tux since last oct!) - they were self sufficient, and could be left out alone. My dog-orientated-brain-washed mind thought this was a cats 'way'! She scoots off after her delicious breakfast (tuna 1 saucer, probiotic yogourt 2nd saucer!) without a backward glance. Might pop back during the day for a check-in, then off again til supper time. Out til after midnight. Would she not be ok on her own, with food, water, bed, shelter for a few days/week? We dont for some reason seem to have many cats in our area (quite rural, not too many houses).
    I just cant get my head around her being in a cattery for so long on her own 8-( (apart from the cost)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anyone have the name of a good cattery in the Kildare area?
    Just remembered that I forgot to book my new kitten in while were away.Hopefully they aren't all booked up!!!

Edit-didn't see this thread and started my own.

• Advertisement

Hellraiser, see Boomerangs post two replies back! Dunlavin is very close to Naas/Kildare! Theres a sallins one listed too

aonb wrote: »
    Would she not be ok on her own, with food, water, bed, shelter for a few days/week? We dont for some reason seem to have many cats in our area (quite rural, not too many houses).
    I just cant get my head around her being in a cattery for so long on her own 8-( (apart from the cost)
    I'll put it this way to you; my wife's parents 7 year old male never came home one night. They went looking for him and finally found him at a road hurt and rushed him to the vet; he was put down two days later due to the damage he had sustained. The problem is not if she can live or not; the problem is if something goes wrong for what ever reason such as fox, dogs, cars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Our cat came with the house. When we bought the house the previous owner said she was and outdoor cat. She lived and slept outside. Fast forward a year - she is currently sleeping on my bed. She is out during the day but in when we are here.
    I know she isn't going to like being confined while we are away but for me I am not taking the chance that she would wander looking for another bed to sleep on and get her self into trouble or get hit by a car.

Advertisement