Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colon Question!

Options
  • 30-05-2015 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have trawled through google trying to find an answer for this but can't find one.

I'm currently trying to come up with a title for a conference paper, and they are often structured to have a snappy title, followed by a colon and a more explanatory title, so for instance, there's a book called The Victorians: An Age in Retrospect. Not that The Victorians is very snappy...but anyway...

The first part of my title, it is a play on a well used phrase, "Smash the Patriarchy!", and I think this looks best with the exclamation mark. The only thing is, is it acceptable to have a colon right after an exclamation mark? I think it looks messy.

So my options are

1. to leave it out:
    "Smash the Patriarchy: The bla bla bla bla..."

2. to leave it in:
    "Smash the Patriarchy!: The bla blg alfg..."

3. Someone suggested to put the exc. mark in brackets?:
    "Smash the Patriarchy(!): The Bla blfjfsjf..."

I think option 1 removes the sense of humour that I'm trying to convey. Option 2 looks funny, and option 3....I don't know!

Apologies for the long winded way of asking a question!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Because your lead title is a well-established expression, you can validly enclose it in quotes, allowing:
    "Smash the Patriarchy!": The bla-bla-bla

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Would a dash be any better than a colon here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Would a dash be any better than a colon here?
    The use of a colon to separate main title from subtitle is a very well-established convention.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Smash the convention!

Advertisement