Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obtaining a provisional in London/UK - Passport only?

Options
  • 30-05-2015 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've just moved to London and I wondered if anybody here has obtained a provisional license/done the driving test? I'm reading through the requirements online and I'm unclear whether for Irish people, only sending in our passports [ALARM BELLS!] suffices, or if we could use our Social Security cards/pre-existing provisionals? This is the link to what I read, but I have not fully understood and would appreciate help in understanding - https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Irish Social security cards and provisional licenses are not valid outside of Ireland.

You need to send your passport. Nothing to be alarmed about. Just use registered post so its insured.

Although they do say "travel document". I don't know what they mean by this. You could call them and ask if you're not comfortable parting with your passport..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Passport is the only option. I sent mine by registered post and it was returned about 9 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Ponster wrote: »
    Passport is the only option. I sent mine by registered post and it was returned about 9 days later.

Thanks very much for confirming for me!

Did you include a registered envelope for them to return it? And there was no need to go into the DVLA?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Thanks very much for confirming for me!

Did you include a registered envelope for them to return it? And there was no need to go into the DVLA?

I didn't include an envelope for them to return it and I'm not sure if they could have used it anyhow (they would have to be set up to use it).

There was no need to go to the DVLA (in Swansea).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I exchanged my Irish one for a UK a few months ago.

I sent my passport in a registered letter and included a envelope for them to return my passport. She knew how to do it in my local post office.

I got my passport back 3 days later. It might seem over the top but a £6 envelope is cheaper than a €120 passport.

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »

I sent my passport in a registered letter and included a envelope for them to return my passport. She knew how to do it in my local post office.

I got my passport back 3 days later. It might seem over the top but a £6 envelope is cheaper than a €120 passport.

Exactly my fear. The 120e and being trapped!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭aaronosiochain

No need to send a passport if you already have an Irish licence - I just sent away a D9 form along with the Irish licence. You get a counterpart licence in return along with your Irish one back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

afatbollix wrote: »

Did pretty much exactly this when I applied for my provisional (first one - didn't have one in Ireland). The guy in Camden Town post office on the desk was very helpful.

Did pretty much exactly this when I applied for my provisional (first one - didn't have one in Ireland). The guy in Camden Town post office on the desk was very helpful.

I might just go to the Camden Town post office in pursuit of someone who knows what ahm on about!

Advertisement