Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking/Freezing Mashed Potatoes

Options
  • 30-05-2015 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me a simple way of doing this, i was thinking of putting into plastic containers, freezing and then reheating in microwave
    ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

That works. Freezing makes foods taste more salty when they are thawed so it might be an idea to season lightly before freezing and add salt to taste before serving. Use glass to zap. I'm not gone on the combination of high heat , fats and plastics that microwaving creates. A Pyrex bowl is the job. I freeze in plastic containers, thaw in the fridge and transfer into a Pyrex bowl to reheat. Microwave on a medium setting, not full power and stir a few times and you're golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

ah thats fantastic, thanks.... do you cover the pyrex bowel in the MW... also would this method work with say mashed turnip?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shaybradley

hi Zelda I just came across this post on freezing mashed potato I personally don't like using glass in the freezer regardless if its a Pyrex dish the best way depending on how many people you are freezing for Zelda what I do is get a zip lock freezer bag and place the mash in side and get a straw place it into the bag at the corner and just before closing the bag suck all the air out and seal as this stops freezer burn also when ready to use you can defrost in the micro wave for 10 minutes on low power making sure you cut a small hole in the corner of the bag to let the water out when defrosted as mash some times has water in the bag when defrosted the same goes for carrot and turnip mash and a better way to freeze your mash is to portion control the meal get an ice cream scoop and cover a tray with cellophane or food wrap and scoop the mash mix into as many portions as you wish Zelda then cover lightly with food wrap an freeze when frozen place the mash into smaller freezer bags or one big one and just take out as many as you need for each meal also note don't use a lot of milk when mashing as this turns to water when mash is defrosted and another great tip for you Zelda is get your gravy or sauce and put the sauce into an ice cube tray and freeze them these can then be placed when frozen into a freezer bag and you only use them when needed for instance just before serving your meat put the frozen cube on the cold meat when re heating in the microwave and the same goes for your mash of veg I hope this information was helpful zelda

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Just to clarify. Freeze in plastic reheat in glass. Poster above has good tips.

correct freeze in a zip lock bag and when defrosting sit frozen mash into yes glass bowl like a Pyrex and defrost there will be some water at the end of the bag so make a small hole to drain the water out and place the mash in a bowl and re heat I like heating the mash in the oven as you can put a nob of butter on top and the mash comes nice and moist and not two wet from freezing also if you heat the mash up in the micro oven you need an egg cup of water in the micro oven to stop the mash drying out also this is needed when re heating food up especially sausages and bacon as the micro wave draws the moisture from the water not the food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hello shaybradley & welcome to the forum.

In order for your posts to be easily understood by our members, we would ask that you please use punctuation, & refrain from posting a wall of text. Thanks for your understanding.

All the best,

tHB (forum moderator)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ddad wrote: »
    Freezing makes foods taste more salty when they are thawed....

Really? Never heard of, or experienced that myself.

I agree with you about salt but if you have fresh spice in your frozen food freezing exaggerates the flavor and makes the food more spicy so use less spice when freezing food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Ddad wrote: »
    TFreezing makes foods taste more salty when they are thawed
    if you have fresh spice in your frozen food freezing exaggerates the flavor and makes the food more spicy so use less spice when freezing food.

Sources?

Advertisement