Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell me about Waterford IT?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I remember years back I did a course called a National Cert in Commercial Computing, (showing my age now.) One of the programming languages was COBOL. Do they still teach/lecture in that now?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I remember years back I did a course called a National Cert in Commercial Computing, (showing my age now.) One of the programming languages was COBOL. Do they still teach/lecture in that now?

Not in my course anyway but there is quite a few computing courses so maybe they do in one of them. I'm doing my Degree in Information Technology and it doesn't have it but Software/Applied/Entertainment systems might have it. I think there is a few on here who did those courses who might know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

DCU apparently.

Up there on their solid gold heated seats while the W.I.T. Marketing lads are sitting on bales of hay.

Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

COBOL is what most ATM machine backends are built with. Its pretty ancient at this stage.

They don't teach it in any University would be my assumption. It would be a very rare language.

Extremely difficult to code with as it takes about 200 lines of code compared to 2 lines in a modern language.

The Extremely high wages reflect that fact. About 80k a year easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

we had Mary Lyng for COBOL...she was sound out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

The Extremely high wages reflect that fact. About 80k a year easy enough.

remember the Y2K scaremongering? many COBOL heads made a fortune :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

we had Mary Lyng for COBOL...she was sound out.

That's who I had as well. And yes she was sound as a pound. I wonder is she still there? :)

That's who I had as well. And yes she was sound as a pound. I wonder is she still there? :)

Yeah she is. She taught me Database last last semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Looks like it

http://www.wit.ie/about_wit/contact_us/staff_directory/science

Jayney I didn't even do computers or anything remotely close - a few mates did computer science - and she was highly rated then (graduated 1994 :pac:))

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Looks like it

http://www.wit.ie/about_wit/contact_us/staff_directory/science

Jayney I didn't even do computers or anything remotely close - a few mates did computer science - and she was highly rated then (graduated 1994 :pac:))

Wow was she lecturing in 1994?

• Advertisement
Advertisement