Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My duties as a live in childminder - fair or not?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

chinacup wrote: »
    Update - leaving this job next Friday. The boss wasn't willing to compromise on the current situation. So now to find a new job and place for the remainder of summer! She had started coming home late most evenings as well as me working 35hr + week with the girls off school and no extra pay. The atmosphere in the house was one of stress and I really wasn't happy there so although this is less than ideal I'm very glad to be leaving.
    You should contact some nanny agencies and look for work that way. At least there would be a lot more transparancy. The situation you were in was total exploitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

lazygal wrote: »
    You should contact some nanny agencies and look for work that way. At least there would be a lot more transparancy. The situation you were in was total exploitation.

Great idea, thanks. Hadn't considered those.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Elliottsmum79

catkit wrote: »
    Also remember that if you're being treated fairly (as an employee, being paid minimum wage) she should pay PRSI for you, so you get stamps towards your state pension and accrue rights to i.e. maternity leave and benefits down the line. Being off the books does affect you in other ways than just your salary.

Totally agreed. Check out the limits for grants etc. Black economy cuts both ways....Meanwhile best of luck with the search.

Advertisement