Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCA and respite grant

Options
  • 30-05-2015 4:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭

Do you get the respite grant in June if uou only receive the DCA ;meaning carers hasn't yet been approved)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Belle2000

Hi just looking for some information on the respite care grant. Im currently in receipt of Domiciliary care allowance for my daughter although I provide care for her and we live together. Another family member is claiming careers allowance for her due to how our personal circumstances are. My question is does anyone know if the respite care that is paid yearly is payable to the person receiving the domicilary care or the person getting the careers allowance. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I don't know belle but the citizens advice bureau should be able to help. It was received today in my account.

CaraMay wrote: »
    I don't know belle but the citizens advice bureau should be able to help. It was received today in my account.

I received the payment aswell today but not sure if the career should have got it. I called citizens advice but they didnt know. Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You are correct, there is an anomaly there. The answer is that whomever got a qualifying payment second, gets the respite care grant. So for example, if you get it for your child one year, and then the year after your sister was awarded carers, she now gets preference for the respite grant.

I am aware that because of the confusion that it is an issue that has to be elevated to manager level, some staff have made mistakes by not changing the details in the above case. Girl I dealt with had to go through the department to get it reversed, was eventually paid, and they had to claw it back weekly from the mother of the child. Horrible scenario as they fell out over it, and now she doesn't care for the kid.

myshirt wrote: »
    You are correct, there is an anomaly there. The answer is that whomever got a qualifying payment second, gets the respite care grant. So for example, if you get it for your child one year, and then the year after your sister was awarded carers, she now gets preference for the respite grant.

I am aware that because of the confusion that it is an issue that has to be elevated to manager level, some staff have made mistakes by not changing the details in the above case. Girl I dealt with had to go through the department to get it reversed, was eventually paid, and they had to claw it back weekly from the mother of the child. Horrible scenario as they fell out over it, and now she doesn't care for the kid.

Thats great thanks for your help. Ill give it to the career just wasnt sure as I am still the main guardian and career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

If your the main guardian and carer I'm sure that it is correct in being paid to you as it's usually always been paid to the main carer ?

Advertisement