Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st gen Moto G coverage loss, Tesco Direct, 2 year European Warranty?

Options
  • 30-05-2015 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there

So my 1st gen Moto G, bought in December 2013, its coverage drops quite regularly in places where there is definite coverage. It's pretty random the way the coverage will just cut out all of a sudden.
    I'm on the 48 network and 2 of my sisters have the same phone and are also on 48 network yet experience none of the coverage loss problems.
    Factory reset and clearing the cache don't solve the problem.
    From reading online it seems it was an update that has caused bugs, reading on forums online others seems to have the same problem.

So I contacted Tesco Direct telling them the story, saying how the phone was only bought 17 months ago. They replied to me telling me they were '' unable to offer you a repair, refund or an exchange''.
    I replied saying that its disappointing that a phone bought less than 18 months isn't covered.
    Then I asked about the EU warranty, I had heard/read that there is a 2 year warranty minimum that comes with electrical goods.

I got an email back saying ' Although we are not obliged to offer a return or replacement for anything over 12 months, we do have a process in place that allows us the chance to give our customers a gesture of goodwill towards the original value of the product.
    In this instance, the intrinsic value of the phone is now 40% of it's initial cost.'
    They didn't make any reference to EU law.

A nice gesture of goodwill which I'm really happy about but is there a 2 year warranty minimum that comes with electrical goods?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No, not in Irish law. That portion of EU legislation was not enacted in Ireland as our Consumer law provides greater coverage.

If there is a defect with the phone, then they should either repair, replace or refund. If you've had the phone for nearly two years, but did this problem exist before then? And did yoy bring the problem to their attention then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dundunDUN

dudara wrote: »
    No, not in Irish law. That portion of EU legislation was not enacted in Ireland as our Consumer law provides greater coverage.

If there is a defect with the phone, then they should either repair, replace or refund. If you've had the phone for nearly two years, but did this problem exist before then? And did yoy bring the problem to their attention then?

That's a real pity we didn't include it in our law.

Are they obligated to repair it if it's out of warranty?
    Well its only been 17 months so closer to a year, the problem existed for about a month and from my own attempts to fix it and putting it off altogether I only contacted them now.

Advertisement