Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What keyboard & mouse do you use for gaming?

• 30-05-2015 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

I'm about to make the switch from console to pc gaming but I'm not really sure what is best in terms of keyboard and mouse.

Looked at loads of those 10 best gaming keyboards type lists but they aren't much use.

Mainly be rpgs like skyrim and the witcher games ill be playing and maybe some fps.

Was curious as to what you guys use or would recommend. Not really worried about price as id rather buy one and be happy than go threw a few and spend a load anyway. I had been looking at the razer anansi and a razer mmo mouse but not sure if they are worth it or not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I've a Thermaltake Poseidon MX Blue which I think is pretty sweet, never used a mech before so I can't really compare it, think its €100 on Amazon

Mouse is some ****ty Perixx MX100 or something, it was like €15 but I don't play online much so it does me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

As for keyboard and mouse, go with the ones You are comfortable. Keyboard probably will be easier to get a, for example I've had in past few "gaming" ones which cost be few $$$ but to be honest I dont feel much difference now on normal Microsoft one.
    Mouse could be a little harder. Depends from few factors, like what games You prefer to play or size of hand or type of grip. The best would be to try few mouses and see which one is the best for You. Razer is pretty good, I've had old Deathadder for a long period of time. I was pretty happy with it, when it died I just bought some cheap Gigabyte mouse as i didnt had the money for something better but still works well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna go with the anansi for the keyboard anyways. It looks pretty good and I like the fact that it has macros. Also don't think I'd be too keen on a mech keyboard when I'm typing reports or long emails it would annoy me so it would be more suitable and I can get one for about 70 on ebay compared to the 120 direct from razer.

Will have to give some more thought to the mouse because I'm not sure how inclined I'd be to use programmable buttons on my mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Whatever mouse you feel most comfortable with is the one you want to use. Check what sort of mouse hand position you adopt (e.g. claw, palm, etc.) and start your search from there.

For keyboards, mechanical keyboards are the mutts nuts imo (I'm also a software developer) as they are incredibly responsive & tactile. I've got a Logitech G710+, your mileage on taste/price/features will vary, just like with mice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Razer products arn't innovative and durability and quality is seriously lacking for the price of their products.

I'd look into a logitech mouse. I have a Razer deathadder I bought to see what all the fuss was about, and it's nothing special. When it breaks (and it will) I'll go back Logitech

I have a CM Storm QK tenkeyless. A pretty lovely board by all accounts. I'd definitely make sure to keep it mechanical.

If I was buying a board tomorrow, probably go Logitech G710+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

I use a corsair K70 mechanical keyboard and a logitech MX518.

I'm going to keep using both until they break :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

my near 10 year old MX 518 and G15 Keyboard

built to last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

kingtiger wrote: »
    my near 10 year old MX 518 and G15 Keyboard

built to last

Different times. I had a telly which my father bought in 90-91 for Atari ST still worked fine after 20 years. Now even the premium products tend to brake quiete easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

I'm a noob to of aswell and went for a Logitech g510s keyboard, really like it, keys are nice and the lad screen is handy too sometimes,
    My mouse is Logitech aswell it's a g700s and it's great, charge lasts for what feels like forever, comfortable and enough buttons for me so far! The buttons are pomfret able and easy to reach,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

My last few mice (going back over ten years now) have all been Logitech. I've recently had to replace my second G9x with a G700s since the G9x is both no longer made and what you can buy is being charged at around £400 new (fvck that and the horse the price rode in on!). It's taken me about a month to get used to it [the G700S] for CS:GO. The G9x just fit my hand grip perfectly; low profile and fit my palm comfortably whereas the G700s - as comfortable as it is - is stil a more pronounced hump shape. Very configurable though with more options for on-the-fly DPI changes.

But for mice, it all comes down to your natural mouse-grip. So what works for me will not work for the next person and I can only recommend that you try as many mice as you can before buying if at all possible.

• Advertisement

I decided to take the plunge and ordered a Logitech G710 keyboard and a G600 mouse. Will see how I get on with them for a while and if needs be will sell on and try something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Have a Logitech G110 keyboard for the last few years,has usb pass through,media controls,macro keys and thats about all the features i need. Also backlit. Very sturdy and have no complaints about it really. Probably be my last membrane keyboard though,when is fails ill be looking at mechanical.

Had a Logitech g400 mouse until it failed on me recently,Logitech were good enough to replace it after 30 months with a brand new g402. Same week i got a g502 as a birthday present,so im spoilt at the moment regarding mice.

The 402 is nice to use and the sensor is pretty good. Its more of a palm grip mouse which suits my large hands.
    It also feels a little bit budget and plasticky in the hand but with a 3 year warranty im ok with that. Decent mouse for the price.

The 502 has a really amazing sensor,im not sure how they have done it but the mouse seems to have zero acceleration and is a joy to use in that sense for its accuracy. Its more of a claw grip mouse which does not really suit me unfortunately though. And the additional button are not in a very convinient place for constant use. Other than that though cant really fault it.

And Logitechs gaming software works very well with all sorts of profiles and customisation available making it easy to tailor the mouse to each person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

EoinHef wrote: »
    Have a Logitech G110 keyboard for the last few years,has usb pass through,media controls,macro keys and thats about all the features i need. Also backlit. Very sturdy and have no complaints about it really.

I have this one as well and have used the built in soundcard when my audio was acting up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Ant695 wrote: »
    I decided to take the plunge and ordered a Logitech G710 keyboard and a G600 mouse. Will see how I get on with them for a while and if needs be will sell on and try something else.

That's a good mechanical keyboard and not as noisy as other mechanicals. I found that I had to stick a piece of brown packing tape over the white LEDs on the top right as they were too bright and could not be adjusted. It's easy to clean too.

That mouse look a bit mad tbh - I thought those types of mice were geared towards MMORPGs. I'm not sure that it will be ideal for FPS games and general gaming. I bought a G502 last week and it's great, has a fantastic scroll wheel for selecting weapons, good thumb protection and two thumb buttons that are not as sensitive as on my old G9x which prevents accidental presses.

That mouse look a bit mad tbh - I thought those types of mice were geared towards MMORPGs. I'm not sure that it will be ideal for FPS games and general gaming. I bought a G502 last week and it's great, has a fantastic scroll wheel for selecting weapons, good thumb protection and two thumb buttons that are not as sensitive as on my old G9x which prevents accidental presses.

Yeah I'll be logging most of my time on rpgs and fps will be occasional. Plan to work my way through the elder scrolls anthology since I've only played oblivion and skyrim on console as well as the witcher games. Although mainly looking forward to playing around with some mods on skyrim.

Might pick up another mouse for general use and fps etc... and just use that one for mmos.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've a Logitech G700 and a Corsair K50. Both work damn well, and didn't cost me a fortune.

Advertisement