Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calories per hour burn?

• 30-05-2015 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Just wondering how many calories are burnt an hour for an average 68kg male going average of 30kph. Strava tells me about 600. I am just trying to maintain weight. I dont think its very accurate.? Obviously I know it depends on alot of factors etc just curious to see how accurate it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

I'm in around 68kg and avg for year so far is 28kph.

I burn between 600 - 750 an hour acording to garmin, garmin is always is a little bit higher than strava.
    750 would be me pushing on all that time no let up at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

I'd take it with a pinch of salt mate. I use the "mapmyride" app and it says I burn around 1100 calories an hour. I'm 86kg and average 28kph on a two to three hour ride. If that was accurate, I'd weigh a lot less than I do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lorimc

Well if your not using a heart rate monitor with your weight and max heart rate set then I definitely wouldn't take anything reported by apps as accurate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Garmin reported 3,250 calories for a four hour ride to me yesterday with a good bit of climbing (Sally gap x 2). At 85.5kg averaging 22.5kph rolling this table would suggest about 654-817 calories per hour or 2616-3286 calories. Mapmyride gives 3015 calories for the spin. Tbh even the lowest figure of 2616 seems a bit high to me, but no idea how to get an accurate measure.

Domane wrote: »
    I'd take it with a pinch of salt mate. I use the "mapmyride" app and it says I burn around 1100 calories an hour. I'm 86kg and average 28kph on a two to three hour ride. If that was accurate, I'd weigh a lot less than I do now.

Agreed, and would also think the fact it doesn't take terrain or conditions into account makes it even more dodgy. e.g. on a hilly ride, I'd average 20-22kph over a four hour spin. On the flat it would be 24-27kph over the same period, yet much less effort. Any of the calculators that don't take terrain into account would say I've burned more calories on the second case, which is clearly wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

My HRM gives me 370~ cal for my 35~min commute @ 25kmph so its not far off tbh (route is mostly flat but stop/starting at traffic lights.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

BMKN wrote: »
    Just wondering how many calories are burnt an hour for an average 68kg male going average of 30kph. Strava tells me about 600. I am just trying to maintain weight. I dont think its very accurate.? Obviously I know it depends on alot of factors etc just curious to see how accurate it is.

55kg female, 25km/h is around 550-600 kcal/h.
    The number depends on effort, ability to keep pace and mostly terrain.
    I did numerous turbo sessions with HR monitor, the expenditure was between 400-750 (Sufferfest video)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

I'm using Garmin Edge 200 & Suunto M5 and numbers from these 2 devices differ quite a bit. On short rides (under 2h) deviation is quite big, on 3-4h rides they are fairly similar and then again on long +5h rides the numbers are all over the place HRM giving significantly larger number of burnt calories. I'm guessing that out of these 2 HRM gives me more accurate number, but how accurate is that number after all given that all personal settings are correct?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The older Garmins (305, 705) vastly overestimate calories burned. The current models (510, 810) seem to get a lot closer to the truth, assuming you enter the correct data (weight, HR zones etc)

I'm currently around 100kg, and 600 calories is my normal "burn" at a reasonable pace (180w/28-30kph on the flat solo). I would need to be pretty much all-out to be getting to 750 or more in an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

My HRM says ~500 call per hour.

68kg male doing 25ish kph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

I think it's fair to assume 600-800 calories per hour for cycling! But always going to be dependent on effort!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

In the documentary on netflix "Clean Spirit" the team doctor said his riders were burning 6000 calories per racing day.

C3PO wrote: »
    I think it's fair to assume 600-800 calories per hour for cycling! But always going to be dependent on effort!

I think the range would be much wider at the low end with light leisure cycling on flattish ground much less than 600 calories per hour. I think of solo efforts in the Wicklow mountains and surrounding area as about 500-600 calories per hour for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I reckon I would put out 180w at 30 kph.

Your body typically converts 25% of food energy into mechanical energy. Hence at 4.18 joules/calorie 180w is 620 kCals/Hr

More here

http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2011/11/mpg-of-a-human/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭butterworth

Today at least, at just over a 30km/hr average for 80km, the total work done according to my power meter was 2200kJ. So around 900-1000kcal/hr in this instance. It wasn't a particularly easy ride though.

Advertisement