Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parents can't get broadband, but neighbours can?

Options
  • 30-05-2015 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hello, just wanted to ask a few questions.  My parent live in rural Kilkenny for many years, but  tried to get broadband, a few years back. Some point in time, some of the neighbours got broadband.  From what I can understand my parents are on the "carrier line" or so called " split landline". is there anyone hope my parents can get broadband?  I'm not talking fibre, just the normal broadband.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Earthday wrote: »
    Hello, just wanted to ask a few questions.  My parent live in rural Kilkenny for many years, but  tried to get broadband, a few years back. Some point in time, some of the neighbours got broadband.  From what I can understand my parents are on the "carrier line" or so called " split landline". is there anyone hope my parents can get broadband?  I'm not talking fibre, just the normal broadband.

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif]Earthday [/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif] Unfortunately carrier lines utilize a different cable path which cannot support broadband and are installed in circumstances where a normal line cannot be.

Changing a carrier to a normal line is not a service eircom offer I'm sorry to say.

There is a universal obligation for every premises in Ireland to have a working phone line which can make and take calls however this obligation does not apply to broadband and in consideration I’m afraid eircom cannot broadband to customers on carrier lines

I am genuinely sorry that I can't offer you better news on this but hope my clarification on this has helped a little.

Thanks
    Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Earthday

So my parents, can't order a new line? shame, I see thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Earthday wrote: »
    So my parents, can't order a new line? shame, I see thanks.
    I'm sorry I can't offer you better news Earthday

Perhaps they could explore a mobile alternative?

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Look into satelite broadband. I believe it is available in Kilkenny. 

https://switcher.ie/broadband/ireland/kilkenny/#/bundle_type=broadband_only®ion_id=34

Advertisement